Income Property

• Please log in to reply

1097 replies to this topic

Mlle

Mlle

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 31, 2013 @ 9:34 PM

"it is a huge peeve of mine when grown women call themselves princesses.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2013 @ 9:57 AM

HGTV is showing 2 roundup/retrospective shows on Wednesday morning, 11/6/ at 8 and 9AM.

trojan69

trojan69

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2013 @ 3:24 AM

I sure didn't get the "city" vibe from these options.  Way too much green space.

The water from an unknown source was definitely scary.  I'm glad they kept in the wife's freakout.  Anything that makes the show more real, I am for.  

I am curious as to what the full $10K overrun involved.  Did it really cost $5K to just take out that top layer of flagstone and put a sheet of water barrier over it?  Did Scott (or whoever) underestimate the cost of the rewiring?  Was it the replacement of the interior framing which sustained water damage?  I thuogh it weird that we didn;t see the mitigation for that damage.

I absolutely did not understand how the 3-bed, 1 bath concept would sell.  Way too many folks sharing a single bath.  I also thought the "ample" closet space designed for each BR was a joke.  Maybe I need a course in "Canadian?"

I noticed during the reveal that the bathroom door was open as Scott showed them the entrance and the new space with the gas fireplace.  Then, we saw Scott opening the door to enter the bathroom.  Oops.

The fact they did not show the place had been rented was a shock.  I'd love to know what the story is.  Did she have second thoughts about having tenants on her property with her firstborn coming?  She sure seemed to have the husband wrapped around her finger.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2013 @ 10:22 AM

I think the 3-bedroom/one bath is what he uses for student rentals, at least it seems to have been in the past.

I remember one with the bath having a separate front section with extra sink.

I am curious as to what the full $10K overrun involved. Did it really cost $5K to just take out that top layer of flagstone and put a sheet of water barrier over it? Did Scott (or whoever) underestimate the cost of the rewiring? Was it the replacement of the interior framing which sustained water damage? I thuogh it weird that we didn;t see the mitigation for that damage.

The whole remodel part of the show had a hurried feel. 
Too much time seemed to be spent on showing us the people and the property viewing.

To me, the best part of the show begins when the drywall starts coming down.
(I have no background for this, wasn't raised with it or anything, but once I saw my first Holmes on Homes, I was hooked.)

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2013 @ 8:22 PM

I think the 3-bedroom/one bath is what he uses for student rentals, at least it seems to have been in the past.

That happens a lot in student housing. My daughter was in a house where there were six girls and one tiny bathroom.  So I suspect Scott has discovered that students don't demand as many bathrooms. It may have to do with having differing class schedules and not being home in the evening that often.

trojan69

trojan69

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2013 @ 2:20 AM

I got the very real sense that Scott didn't much like his old lifeguard boss.  There was a bit of an edge as the guy reacted to the places Scott was showing.

I don't get how folks who have never been RE professionals think it is a good idea to go into the rental biz with their last dollars.  It is a cardinal mistake to go into something ignorant and under-capitalized.  Maybe that was the issue Scott was having?

Yet again we did not get to see the remediation (fixes).  Booooo!

How much did they pay for that landscaping in that super small entrance way?  Sure seemed like a lot, for very little return.

I noticed dude had not yet rented the place.  How?????  I thought he was soooooo cash poor??? 

The ep, overall, felt wrong. 

Maisonette

Maisonette

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 21, 2013 @ 10:06 AM

Maybe it was the house he didn't like, or the reno choice, but I agree there was something odd about this episode.  

trojan69

trojan69

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2013 @ 8:00 PM

Just watched the ep with Sidra, the eager entrepreneur.  I think they way overdid the "hands-on" piece of this.  They had her come to look at that bathroom and do the grout?  Did she even do it all?  Did you see how she was dressed - completely unlike the occasions she knew manual (and dirty) labor were required.  What was the point? Scott was right there and could easily have done that job in the same time.  I liked her pluck, but TV seems to always overdo it anytime a slight lady does brawny work.  I will say that, in contrast to last week, Scott seemed to genuinely like Sidra and her father.  I saw a real kinship between them.  YMMV.

The choice of property baffled me.  Scott found water in an interior wall and it had nothing to do with plumbing.  That necessarily meant bad news in the fix - potentially catastrophic to the budget (which it was).  Not one word of narrative as to someone running away as fast as possible when a problem of this nature arises.  In negotiating the price, why on earth didn't Sidra insist on a rebate for the potential fixes?  Why take that risk on herself, knowing it would likely eat all her remaining cash?  This was non-sensical.

She had a chance to have a fantastic two-for-one with properties that would require next to nothing in upgrades, for less money than the place she chose!  These properties would have made for a great starting opportunity.  For me, the issue was that Sidra simply did not know herself well enough to make the better economic choice.  She just didn't know who she wanted to be:  An investor, or something else.  It sure cost her for the education.

I would love to know how Scott got the OK to build a deck, once the budget was blown to smithereens.  Did production simply absorb the entirety of that cost?  If not, they either lied to us at the reveal as to the ignorance of Sidra and her Dad, or Scott engaged in malfeasance by building something not in the plan that significantly added to a heavier debt load for the owner.  My guess is that production ate the cost as a reward for a pretty great owner.

Edited by trojan69, Nov 27, 2013 @ 8:02 PM.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2013 @ 11:55 PM

I seem to be unable to copy and paste, for some reason, but I wondered about the roof too, and I thought a good inspection included going up on the roof.

As I recall, the way Scott mentioned the deck, made me think that that was give to Sidra as a bonus.

I did love it when she showed up in Carhartts, and he said she'd dressed for the wrong show.

SoManyWays

SoManyWays

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 2:32 PM

She had a chance to have a fantastic two-for-one with properties that would require next to nothing in upgrades, for less money than the place she chose!

And four times the tenants.  If the tenant relations part of landlording concerns you (and it is a constant issue, unlike renovation), then you don't dive into the deep end.

dcmjdc2

dcmjdc2

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 12, 2013 @ 1:46 PM

Did anyone see this weeks episode, the 2 newlyweds, they need income and she was opening a Rikki studio? Never heard of it. Interesting episode though.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2013 @ 3:03 PM

It seemed to really limit the rental potential with having her reiki studio in the apartment.
Even if it was rented to one of her students/patients, I can't see how they'd want to people coming in and out of their home, and I'd think it would have to rented a lot more cheaply that way.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2013 @ 4:03 PM

I'm assuming that the students would be of Indian decent.  Perhaps the living conditions would not be odd to someone from that culture.  But I agree having a classroom in your home would seem odd if I wasn't the instructor.  (Does that make sense?  I know what I am trying to say.)  I thought they were a nice couple and I loved how they didn't waste time on wedding and such but just got down to business.  And the guy seemed so in love and happy his wife could follow her dreams.  

AllAboutMBTV

AllAboutMBTV

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2013 @ 4:43 PM

Yeesh... Carpenter ants... My flesh is still crawling. Still, they made a nice change from aggressive mold and knob-and-tube wiring. (Seriously, is Toronto built on a swamp inhabited by bad electricians?)

I believe that was the last new episode of this season, and Scott is only now starting to wear his muscle shirts and cargo shorts? Start filming later, Show! The view is great from the shallow end of the pool!

bagbalm_69

bagbalm_69

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2013 @ 10:45 PM

I loved the magnetic panels on the wall, that allowed you to move the plants around.  I want that, it's very zen.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2014 @ 8:19 AM

bagbalm, haven't watched that particular episode but if you're still around and interested in the planters, it looked like the Urbio brand.  If you search "living wall" on Amazon, you'll find some other good (and cheaper) options. 

Missed a couple of episodes so caught up with the rerun marathon the other day.  Had a few different takes on things if anyone saw them or remembers them from the original airings.

1.  Couple purchasing Tudor, water damage from deck/patio, 10K overage (supposedly) and pregnant wife:

My theory on why they hadn't rented the space was that the note indicated they were doing a kitchen reno to their living space.  So, they'd need the basement's kitchen and were probably living in the basement for that reason and to avoid the dust and noise from their reno.  Besides the cleanliness and convenience, she was pregnant so makes sense - to me, anyway.

Didn't get a good sense of where the 10K overage came from either.  One thing, however - this was the first time I thought any of the IP participants (in the current IP version that includes a househunting phase) had already purchased and possibly moved into a space.   Remember the dining room staged with very nice chairs but lacking a table?  Thought they hadn't bought their new table yet.  And, some of the upgrades on the main floor appeared brand new.  So, I wondered if perhaps they'd done work but had bungled the job and that part of that 10k was attributable to the main floor, i.e. a redo or do-over.  IDK - agree with all of you that something didn't add up, again.

Good comment, trojan, about the bathroom door being open and then closed.  Watched the reveal carefully and I believe they did it that way on purpose b/c it happened again with the bedroom.  IMHO they're having the homeowners open the interior doors so they can get multiple "Wows" or essentially mini-reveals as they walk through the space.  They're leaving all the doors open on the shots of the space used in the befores/afters to highlight the length and breadth of the space.

I would have kept that bathroom door closed for another reason, trojan.  The shot as they walked in the basement was of the toilet.  Too bad they hadn't reconfigured the bathroom to possibly hide it behind the door so you only saw a nice vanity but no -  true, it would have been add'l $$$.  Plus, Scott called it a "marble" tub surround but it was probably faux (no nice tile job) and the vanity appeared cheap.  For a home in a supposedly good neighborhood, it appeared they'd cheaped out more than a few things so perhaps the budget overage was real, for once! 

I had a different idea on something that should have been edited.  Anyone notice the cleavage of the blonde realtor in the pink dress?  She wanted you to!  She needed another button closed on the first shot they used of her.  Afterwards the camera was angled differently but on that first one ...  Oh, and then we had the pregnant wife in a tight baby-doll dress.  Whatever -

2.  Lifeguard friend of Scott's

Maybe I missed it but I never sensed any tension between him and Scott.  If his backstory was accurate, he did come off as kind of a dolt, however.  Quitting your job and paying for a year of school in a field typically flooded with applicants?  Not a good idea, IMHO.  Agree with you trojan that not everyone s/b a landlord.  

Although there wasn't much of it, I liked the landscaping.  Curb appeal is everything, IMHO.  These shows, especially PB, ignore it far too often, again IMHO.

WRT to the reason why he hadn't rented the space when was supposedly in debt, I thought he was moving in to the basement and possibly renting out the upper floor to his brother.  I have no idea but definitely got the sense he was moving in.  They said the bros both wanted to be close to their aging parents.

Edited by diydude, Mar 23, 2014 @ 10:15 AM.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2014 @ 10:09 AM

One thing, however - this was the first time I thought any of the IP participants had already purchased and possibly moved into a space.  

As I remember them, in the earlier shows, the people already had the property.
Some of them were going through unemployment, or divorce, and needed to subdivide their homes to be able to keep them.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2014 @ 10:14 AM

Sorry, lu, I should have clarified - I was only referring to the current iteration of IP - that is, the version that includes the househunting phase.

Agree, in the original/previous, 30 minute IP version, in general, the homeowners already owned their units and were almost always just signing up for a basement renovation.

Edited, above.  Thanks.

Edited by diydude, Mar 23, 2014 @ 10:17 AM.