Income Property

• Please log in to reply

1097 replies to this topic

IttyBittyFlavur

IttyBittyFlavur

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

Sabrina. (Possibly Serena, but I think not.) Italian family, that much was clear.

gazerguy

gazerguy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 9:55 AM

That's correct. IIRC, he's been married to Sabrina, an elementary school teacher, since 2009.

BTW, you're right, Imonrey. The daycare episode was a rerun. Anyone else wonder if those people somehow popped a kitchen/added appliances into that space after passing their inspections and receiving their daycare certification? Can't help it -

Edited by gazerguy, Feb 9, 2012 @ 9:55 AM.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

I don't remember ever seeing Scott install a handrail. Is the Canadian building code Canada indifferent on the issue of people falling down the stairs? He's otherwise so scrupulous about codes.

Frenchy68

Frenchy68

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

I'm watching a rerun and Scott is putting in radiant floor heating. It seems like a great idea - even heat with no radiators, vents, etc. But then I started to wonder if those hoses break and wear out. And if they do, how long would it leak before I knew and how hard would it be to fix it. I guess I could Google it, but it's not like I'm about to do it. Just a thought that came into my head.

IttyBittyFlavur

IttyBittyFlavur

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

My understanding is that the hoses are encased in a cement-like material, so if they should happen to break (and I don't see how they could), there's no place for the water to leak to. The encasement becomes the subfloor for tiles.

nws2002

nws2002

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

I don't remember ever seeing Scott install a handrail. Is the Canadian building code Canada indifferent on the issue of people falling down the stairs? He's otherwise so scrupulous about codes.

I don't think so. I remember Mike Holmes going on about the lack of a handrail and it being required by code in a split level house one time.

caseylane

caseylane

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

My understanding is that the hoses are encased in a cement-like material, so if they should happen to break (and I don't see how they could), there's no place for the water to leak to. The encasement becomes the subfloor for tiles

I had a home with that type of heating and I loved it. The only problem was that, living in Michigan, when it got really cold out you would have to wear slippers because it could get really hot if your feet were in one spot, say you're sitting on a couch. Also, you couldn't turn the heat down during the day because it took longer to heat the water up.

As a clean, steady heat source though it was great.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

Overall, fairly good reno on the basement in the triplex. Strange floorplan with the bedroom upfront and no entryway. Understandable why Scott left it, however - far cheaper for the landlord than additional remodelling. No big deal for tenants to live with a strange floorplan -

Glad they removed the old foundation wall to open up the space. Liked the brick-type backsplash in the kitchen. Felt as if it was appropriate for that particular property.

My biggest issue: absolutely detested that small bathroom with the minute shower. Only 3/4 of a bath for a 2 bedroom apartment and it appeared that you'd practically have to pull in your elbows to use that toilet - well, when you sit down, anyway. Was also concerned about accessing the plumbing underneath the sink. It appeared that the cabinet placed around it would slide out for access. Noticed they carefully avoided shooting the tiny shower during the reveal.

Surprised she scored that much rent b/c of the small bathroom. Seems as if a fair number of IP participants receive a premium - wonder if the apartments have a certain cache when they're newly renovated due to the show's publicity and/or Scott's popularity in Toronto.

On second thought, she did mention it was a heritage home. Too bad she didn't throw in some extra $ and expand the small bathroom plus add another adjacent to the kitchen (somewhere), hopefully correcting the floorplan during the process. Oh well, she can think about those issues over time and complete that reno if/when she's ready. If she's a typical, cost-conscious landlord, that's probably never. It's the basement, so whatever -

All of the above, IMHO.

BTW, nice to have Scott back for Season 6.

Edited by diydude, May 10, 2012 @ 10:40 PM.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

Anyone know where Scott posts the materials list? I'd love to find some of the appliances he uses. Thanks!

coffeeloverfrea

coffeeloverfrea

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

Oh, I don't know why this show engenders my talking to the TV, but every time Scott pronounces it "try-plex" instead of "trip-lex" I yell at him. Maybe I should just make it a drinking game. My neighbors might appreciate it.

Here in Montreal -- where there are loads of them -- we tend to say "trip-lex". But that's the French influence, i think. It's like saying "terrasse" instead of "patio" or "depanneur" instead of "convenience store". In French, the term is "triplex" pronounced with a short i (the closest approximation in English would be "tree-plex" but it's not as emphatic an "ee" as it is a short "i"). So that terminology has stuck.

Actually, I have noticed that Scott uses laminate floors, almost exclusively. Which is funny because whenever a House Hunter sees laminate flooring they turn away in horror since it's not real wood. So I do think an effort is made to be practical and economical in these basement renovations.

Laminate makes more sense in basements than hardwood does, because of humidity or mould. I, too, prefer hardwood, but generally it's better for upper floors. Most of the renos on this show tend to be basements, so I can understand why he chooses laminate almost exclusively.

It's just this isn't the first time homeowners on this show have pushed for a reno in order to get into the black, and then just used the renovation for themselves anyway. If they can afford to do so, then they're not really struggling with their property and Scott could've found someone else to help! But hey, if "former lovers, still in business" makes better TV then it just does. Granted, few of these homeowners seem really, truly needy.

I also have wondered about that. If the goal is to get a renovation done to make the basement into more usable space for the family, why apply for a show called "income property" in the first place?

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

Actually, I have noticed that Scott uses laminate floors, almost exclusively

Remember the Asian woman who wouldn't even show up for the reveal? She made him change the floor he installed. What a piece of work she was!

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

IIRC, the Asian woman was renting out an upper floor (or possibly two) so moisture shouldn't have been an issue. Doesn't matter, however - she was still a pita.

Lola, if you're interested in that tall apartment refrigerator, that's a Danby. Haven't seen them myself but I understand Lowe's (don't shop there) carries them in the U.S. If you check the Danby website, I'm sure they'd include their retailers. Besides that, IIRC, they post the IP materials lists by episode on Scott's website. Haven't checked it recently but it was there previously. Best of luck -

To our Montreal posters - it was probably on another thread (FR possibly?) where a few of you were discussing landlord/tenant issues and the local regulations were very favorable to tenants, IIRC. True for Toronto also? Do they have similar regulations? Your posts made me wonder about IP and Scott's enthusiasm. If you know and have a chance to fill us all in, I'd appreciate your insight. Thanks in advance, BTW.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 1:35 PM

OMG Alice is on right now! Told Mr Cgr he was missing the most famous episode ever!

TheOverdog

TheOverdog

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 2:07 PM

Actually, I have noticed that Scott uses laminate floors, almost exclusively

He used to use engineered wood a lot too and laminate only rarely. Maybe there are some inflationary factors at play and he's trying to control costs.

coffeeloverfrea

coffeeloverfrea

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

To our Montreal posters - it was probably on another thread (FR possibly?) where a few of you were discussing landlord/tenant issues and the local regulations were very favorable to tenants, IIRC. True for Toronto also? Do they have similar regulations? Your posts made me wonder about IP and Scott's enthusiasm. If you know and have a chance to fill us all in, I'd appreciate your insight. Thanks in advance, BTW.

I'm not an expert on rental laws, and I've never lived in Ontario, so heavy disclaimers on all of this:

From friends who rent in Toronto, I can say that the Toronto market is much more expensive and much more competitive. I do know that Ontario leases often revert to being month-to-month after the first year, while in Quebec they tend to renew for another year automatically. (Though in both provinces, it's relatively easy to "assign" the lease if you find someone to take it over).

I also believe that in Ontario, it's legal to raise the rent by any amount on a new tenant, while in Quebec, rent increases are controlled even for new tenants (so if renting in Quebec, always ask the previous tenant or the landlord for a copy of the old lease, to make sure your rent is fair!) Also, in Ontario, I believe a new tenant can be asked for a first-and-last month's rent deposit, while in Quebec it's illegal to ask for any deposits other than the first month's rent.

Those are the only ones I'm aware of. Maybe someone else who rents or is a landlord in Ontario can weigh in with other differences?

At any rate, anyone who buys a house and hopes to rent out a portion of it as an income suite should probably be well versed not only in the legalities of being a landlord, but in the practical day-to-day realities. A lot of people think of it as "easy money" or an "easy way to help pay the mortgage" -- thinking that this show certainly encourages. They never really talk about the downsides.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

Lola, if you're interested in that tall apartment refrigerator, that's a Danby. Haven't seen them myself but I understand Lowe's (don't shop there) carries them in the U.S. If you check the Danby website, I'm sure they'd include their retailers. Besides that, IIRC, they post the IP materials lists by episode on Scott's website. Haven't checked it recently but it was there previously. Best of luck -

Thanks DIY! I found Scott's material list but it only includes fixtures, not appliances. Cruising over to Google to check out the Danby appliances.

Edited by Lola16, Jun 11, 2012 @ 7:13 PM.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

Any time, Lola. You're welcome. Hope you find what you're looking for -

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

I don't watch this show all the time but do enjoy catching it when it doesn't interfere with other shows. We watched an hour long episode last night of Scott helping a couple pick out a house to buy to make into an income. It was interesting. I liked how he emphasized the cost benefits. We once owned rental property and I would never do it again. But it is fun to watch the make overs.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

I saw that episode last night as well. I liked how Scott discussed location and the monthly costs associated with property ownership and how rent can offset that, but that you don't always make money. I also liked how he saw things that general home buyers don't notice - wiring, plumbing, etc...And how he had researched the areas to know about a potential college going in.

I thought it was a nice twist on the income property formula.

Edited by NYC2007, Jun 14, 2012 @ 12:31 PM.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

It was o.k. Little concerned before it aired that it might be another HH followed by IP. Naturally our jaded selves believed from the get-go that they'd already made the deal to purchase the adjacent home.

Also concerned about Scott's appreciation figures. 1.5 - 1 on a reno where most of the $$$ appeared to be spent on items behind the walls, i.e. not visible. IME, it's difficult to recover those costs both because they're unseen and considered maintenance. It could be different in Toronto, however, if you remodel and upgrade a classic, older home, well-located in the downtown core.

Everybody catch the designers' subliminal message in the twin/extra bedroom? Either they're advertising for an inexpensive clothing store or promoting their firm by placing those letters over the bed.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

Everybody catch the designers' subliminal message in the twin/extra bedroom? Either they're advertising for an inexpensive clothing store or promoting their firm by placing those letters over the bed.

I wondered what the heck that was. Seemed odd like it was someone's initials that would be sleeping in the bed.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 5:58 AM

You'd think designers Halina and Melissa could spring for a few additional letters of the alphabet - or at least retain a few in inventory. Either that or perhaps they do plan to move in!

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

The part that piqued my interest was that Scott said he'd made an offer on the other half of that duplex they looked at. Really? He's buying rental properties in the U.S. now? Curious how that works for him.

gazerguy

gazerguy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

The two designers practice in Toronto. Haven't heard that Scott filmed in the U.S.

The other unit did appear to have a better location, IMHO - end unit so additional light.

Edited by gazerguy, Jun 16, 2012 @ 11:33 AM.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 4:18 PM

The two designers practice in Toronto. Haven't heard that Scott filmed in the U.S.

Quite sometime ago I had heard Scott and Mike Holmes were going to film in San Antonio. But haven't heard anything more about it. I had thought of seeing if they would fix daughter's house after the contractor after Hurricane Ike left it a mess.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 5:22 PM

Heard something about the U.S. also but never heard that it actually happened. In this episode, those appeared to be Toronto homes, to me. Plus, he worked with the Toronto designers.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 5:55 PM

Aha! Thanks for the correction. For some reason I was convinced they were in NY!

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 5:52 AM

Cgr, only skimmed your post yesterday so didn't notice the details. Just wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear your daughter was an Ike victim. Hope her home's back to normal and her family well. BTW, did you check out Scott's casting info at that time?

Took a quick look this a.m. They're advertising for regular IP participants from the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) for Summer - Fall, 2012. Also have a call out for the hour-long version, including a home purchase but didn't notice the filming dates. Sounds like more of the IP Buy & Reno are heading our way - wonder if they're currently filming it.

Nothing more about the U.S. Seems like that'd be pretty tough, assuming Scott continues to personally invest in the GTA.

Edited by diydude, Jun 17, 2012 @ 5:53 AM.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 8:35 AM

Cgr, only skimmed your post yesterday so didn't notice the details. Just wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear your daughter was an Ike victim.

Thanks. Yes she found a good contractor to put a new roof on when the old contractor's didn't pass inspection. And lots of other redos. Unfortunately the insurance money ran out long ago. But there are many in worse shape! Ike got little publicity due to the stock market fall and the election but in many ways it was as bad as Katrina. People were just having hurricane fatigue.

I think I would like to see more hour long shows. Scott and Mike Holmes seem to be the hot DIY stars.

pepperclove

pepperclove

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 1:46 PM

I just watched the hour-long episode on my DVR, and I definitely felt like the investors had already purchased the home next door. It had too many characteristics of a money pit for me to believe that Scott would actually have recommended that house for first-time investors, especially since they didn't even have the money to complete the renovation and get the basement apartment rentable. But apparently they managed to make it work and achieve positive cash flow, and they seemed like nice people so good for them.

I really didn't care for the work of the allegedly-super-special designers. The rooms were too busy and over-accessorized for my taste, plus they made a lot of very taste-specific design choices that don't seem to make sense for a rental, like the wallpaper in the powder room (also, does that last as well as regular old painted walls?).

I definitely enjoyed the first part of the episode where Scott took the couple through the properties and talked about all the things to look for, so I'll be excited if they do more shows like this one. I'm sure there are a lot of fake elements to this show, but Scott does come across like he knows his stuff.