Dear Genevieve

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

145 replies to this topic

Catgirl14

Catgirl14

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2011 @ 2:47 PM

So glad other people thought the navy shelving was too much, my immediate thought was when GG left, was to immediately paint them white so it didn't look so dark.

GG does have some misses where I just don't like what she had done and I'm sorry but I have a massive amount of books, and no I don't want them facing the wall.

I have to ask about the small office makeover: was the wife's desk placed in front of the radiator? Why didn't they cover it, and use it as another storage space? Won't that get hot? I could be wrong. I did like the feather hat feature and would happily buy it.

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2011 @ 6:26 PM

I did like the feather hat feature and would happily buy it.

The whole freaking episode was about that hat. I was yelling at the screen for her to just shut up already about it. (Although I did like it, and it would look cool up on a wall.)

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2011 @ 8:04 PM

I just saw the navy room and I was surprised that I actually kind of liked it, although I would have preferred the shelves in a natural dark-ish wood. And I just went in and measured my cookbooks on their shelves and I have 26 feet of cookbooks alone--though I think Genevieve was talking about 26 feet of shelving units, not 26 shelf-feet. Regardless, I certainly have more than 26 feet of shelving covered with books upstairs, not counting the piles in the bedroom...

NYdreaming

NYdreaming

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2011 @ 3:07 AM

We just got around to watching the navy shelving unit episode. Good idea to switch out the colors, although I'd probably go a little softer on the shade of white. Wasn't thrilled with that table - looked like they simply dropped the top on a cheap base and they can't move it. Hope the rug stays clean! I love carrera but GG always wants to use it. BTW, the wife initially looked mystified with the plan. GG didn't even try to conceal her excitement when they confirmed they hadn't selected a style. (lol)

Liked the carrera hearth but that painted brick looked like ____ and needed to be replaced. If you're going to update the hearth, you need to update the rest of it, typically. That fireplace surround would look with tile to pull in all the colors and coordinate the rooms, leaving the carrera hearth.

My biggest complaint about her choices was the black rug in the sitting room. To me, it stopped the eye. She kept talking about flow and continuity, but the black rug didn't flow with either the kitchen or the shelving unit/dining room. Also didn't care for the burgundy velvet chair with the rug. The burgundy would have worked as an accent color with an appropriate rug.

Another GG episode, more backwards books. Do they haul those extra Al Gore biographies from one makeover to the next? Why waste your time buying more? Well, as long as you don't incur storage fees and freight charges in NYC. How about Jess' trunk between makeovers? Hope she lives in NJ, not NYC. Incidentally, thought that was Jimmy's best built-in, to date.

Profesora678

Profesora678

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 9, 2011 @ 7:45 PM

Hi. I'm the HO of the navy room makeover. We really love it. The rug in the sitting room is navy and it's beautiful. The camera didn't do it justice and made it look black. The purplish chair is not velvet and it compliments the room nicely. We are still very happy months later. I will fill the shelves with the decillion books I really do own! Instead of The Al Gore books I got books on menopause!

NYdreaming

NYdreaming

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2011 @ 7:02 PM

Thanks for posting, Profesora678. So glad you love your rooms. Appreciated you clearing up the confusion on the colors. I'll bet the navy rug looks great with the chair. More useful, discard books, haha -

BTW, your home's gorgeous!

Profesora678

Profesora678

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 12, 2011 @ 8:36 AM

Thanks! Love this site and all these forums!

Jennionthefarm

Jennionthefarm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2011 @ 2:41 PM

Profesora678, are you happy with the granite top on your dining room table? I loved the navy bookshelves and really liked the loungey area off the kitchen but wasn't so sure about the dining room table. Also, can it be moved by normal humans?

Profesora678

Profesora678

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 12, 2011 @ 4:08 PM

Jennionthefarm, to be honest at first I wasn't sure but once I saw the quartz (from Brazil) up close and personal I loved it. I actually loved it more when it was in the room. It brightens the room and it looks beautiful. It's very different and it's not for the general population. We like the unusual and we really like nature. The table reminds me of when I was really young and collected rocks. Love it.
As for the lifting or moving of the table, I couldn't even imagine what we would do or who we would call!!

Edited by Profesora678, Mar 13, 2011 @ 12:48 AM.

sistersledge

sistersledge

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 14, 2011 @ 9:20 AM

The gold and purple dining room from this past Saturday night was awful. I have no doubt the homeowner will buy matching chairs for the (admittedly) gorgeous table and then scale back the "accessories." It looked like a store to my husband and I - and the homeowner said as much.

Jennionthefarm

Jennionthefarm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2011 @ 2:02 PM

Thanks, Profesora678! Very interesting.

I liked the vibe on the Saturday show makeover overall although Gen could have shorthanded it and called their aesthetic "Pottery Barn." The only major quibble for me was the blinds above the window seat. I think they were bamboo or some sort of natural brownish color but at night they read as black and didn't relate to the other window treatment or anything else and stuck out like a sore thumb. Also, playing Jenga with cups and sauces is a very bad idea for a family with children. Duh.

I loved their dining room set and hutch but clearly it wasn't what they were going for.

Anacharsis

Anacharsis

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2011 @ 12:36 AM

Profesora678, I just saw your episode this past Saturday and am coveting all those bookcases! Glad you're happy with the rooms. Are Gen and Jimmy as nice as they seem on tv?

finder

finder

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2011 @ 11:42 PM

The purple dining room
I liked the color, I really did. It might be bold but it wasn't overwhelming at all. The original dining room, while a bit stuffier than the family may have wanted was beautiful. I'm not sure how many will agree but I hated the new table. And I don't like all the crap sitting on the table, it's not how the room 'lives'. They are going to have to put it all somewhere, to collect dust. A centerpiece or two would have been so much better, imo. Not a fan of the mismatched chairs either, but it was an easy fix and all in all, this was better than most of her projects.

Profesora678

Profesora678

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 18, 2011 @ 6:49 PM

Anacharsis Gen and the carpenters were super nice and very genuine. Genevieve is stunning!!!

persiaa

persiaa

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 1:05 AM

I usually like Genevieve's work, but tonight's show on the Asian inspired living room makeover made me feel claustrophobic. The room had way too much visual clutter with that wall of chests and the dark wallpaper me feel really closed in. Even if the slipcovers are washable, such a light color doesn't seem too good an idea with such little kids.

arkansan

arkansan

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

At least she didn't saw the legs off of all those antique chests like she said she was going to do. The couple sent up two flags: the first was that they didn't want white couches and the second was they didn't like her choice of wallpaper. She ignored both objections, as usual. She gave them two white couches with slipcovers--I've had slipcovers before and they have to be drycleaned (don't believe that stuff about washing them) and they are horrible to get back on. I've also had white chairs and they just don't work with kids. I suspect they'll get tired of that wallpaper very soon. At the beginning of the show Genevieve said it was easy to get too extreme and make the room a theme park. Well, as far as I'm concerned, black wallpaper with Chinese men fishing off a bridge was literally a bridge too far and did turn it into a theme park.

I've never been very impressed with Genevieve's designs and I'm really getting tired of her bullying the clients into her taste. If anyone has worries about choosing a decorator and being forced to live with his/her choices rather than their own, this show reinforces those concerns. A good decorator listens to you and works with you--I think Candice Olsen does a pretty good job of that, although her color palette is limited to blue and tan.

Disclosure: I once dismissed a decorator who also insisted on Chinese men on my dining room wallpaper, when I had told her that was the one thing I didn't want. Why do they like that paper so much?

I really do like the new program Interiors Inc. but I wish they would tell us what their budgets are.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

3 episodes into Gen's new season and she's 3 for 3 WRT Ikea product placement scenes. Yuch. "Ikea makes shopping for your (blank room) so easy." Haven't watched this week's but the Ikea scenes from the first 2 were incredibly canned. (Noticed already they did it again on Ep. 3.)

Didn't care for the guys' work on the first episode, the master bedroom. IIRC, Jimmy left a major gap inbetween the Ikea cabinets and the ceiling. His excuse made no sense. They put too many cabinets along that wall. IMHO, they needed to go smaller on one side instead of going for symmetry. One smaller Ikea unit plus having the guys fill in with a few shelves would have been better for the side adjacent to the bathroom door. Besides that, the closet organizers looked cheap (more Ikea) and not well-planned. In addition, Gen's multiple patterns didn't work for me, e.g. the Indian rug layered with other rugs -

WRT the kitchen, don't believe they properly levelled that room and they clearly took shortcuts. Can't plaster one night and install the next day. Not a good idea. Couldn't stand the kids' table.

This one's coming close to going off the dvr list.

JMHO, as usual.

Interiors is o.k. It improved over S1, Ep01. The first one was awful (IMHO) but absolutely loved the last new episode - the kitchen/great room. Terrific space planning - WRT their budgets, they must have a serious markup on their store furniture. Wonder if that's the majority of their fees -

Edited by diydude, Apr 25, 2012 @ 5:55 AM.

peachbeserk

peachbeserk

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 1:00 AM

I would be aghast at paying a designer who then went to Ikea to buy most everything. That's sort of like paying a graphic designer to use clip art.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 5:54 AM

Yes, it's like they're trying to fit square pegs into round holes with all that Ikea crap, peachbeserk, especially with the master bedroom's wall units. At 3/3 episodes and purchasing most of the major pieces there, it's worse than Sabrina Soto's Tarjait connection on that High-Low project, IMHO.

The Ikea couches also appeared to be very poor quality in the Asian-contempo room last week, arkansan. They did cut off plenty of the chest's legs, however. Not all of them or necessarily the entire lengths - they were probably evening up the rows. Genevieve claimed they were antiques - if those people decide to dump them, they've probably destroyed the value by altering them. The worst part of the chest idea, however, was that they were far too deep for the space - major scale issue. They totally overpowered the room. Between those and the wallpaper, it felt very dark.

In addition, they only had room for one large chair in the seating zone. The two side chairs appeared very uncomfortable in the TV area and that small sectional didn't work well for viewing purposes. WRT the wallpaper, the dh indicated he hated it on the mood board/design sketch. When she presented them with a larger sample, however, got the sense the dh was going along with his wife. She seemed to love the w/p and he went along with it, too. Couldn't believe they had to paper every wall - that'd be so much work to remove.

I'll give Gen credit for a couple of things. Liked the architectural change wherein they extended the wall plus the 2 beams. The f/p also appeared improved. Besides that, hated basically everything.

All, IMHO.

Edited by diydude, Apr 25, 2012 @ 5:57 AM.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

I saw this for the first time, and it was the nursery for her carpenter.
All those dustcatchers. She had a daybed with drapes and a faux canopy, then drapes at the window, and a chandelier with lots of danglies.
I didn't care for the animals on the ceiling all being done in black. I know that for the first few months, or some short span, babies only see in black and white, but I've never seen the point in toys, and now this ceiling, in black and white.
Presumably if you paint it red and green the baby will see it in b&w, but then when it can see colors, you're all set.

huahaha

huahaha

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

Finally removed this from my dvr. For a while, it seemed like Genevieve's designs had improved and the homeowners seemed happier. But I just watched her steamroll over more people, and the designs weren't even good. That black-tiled bathroom was grotesque, the tan floors didn't go at all, and I wasn't surprised that the homeowners cried over what they saw before the reveal.

This show actually makes me saddest for Genevieve. She obviously believes in her own "talent" and is genuinely bewildered at homeowners disagreeing with her. I've never understood why she feels the need to take clients completely outside of their comfort zones. Not everything should be beige, but if a homeowner asks for beige, does the next logical step have to be chartreuse and magenta?

A typical Genevieve interaction:

Homeowner: I'm not comfortable with a lot of pattern.

Genevieve: I'm going to install a patterned tile on the entryway, floors, staircase, and walls of your house. Also, your trim will be black and your ceiling gold.

Homeowner: <cries>

Genevieve: It's a good thing you called me! You are really blocked off from good design! I'm like a therapist! It is so strange that people keep claiming not to like my designs. Must be the producer putting them up to it.

Camera crew: <beats homeowners to do a third take, this time pretending to like the reveal>

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 5:31 PM

Liked the caboose reno but Gen can thank her carpenters for that one, IMHO. Who were those bad actors, lol?

Hated the nursery reno for the same reasons you mentioned, lu. Didn't have the same crew so had to believe Jimmy probably used some friends or donated labor. Curious about the timing. Jimmy said something about seeing the room "every week" and the gf mentioned selecting the sheets that very day, during the reveal. Also, Gen had some female baby pics when she shot the typical (boring) scene about family photos. (Yeah, we get it.) Would have been nice if they'd shown a quick pic of their daughter at the end.

Mike, nice to see you're in love but next time, get a room instead of demonstrating it publicly. Oops, guess it's a tad late for that.

All, JMHO.

Edited by diydude, Oct 4, 2012 @ 7:43 AM.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 6:38 PM

I can't say I've ever loved any of her designs on this show.  But I think I dislike the Moroccan bathroom the most.  All those weird extra poofs and doodads.  Ugh.  I want a crisp clean bathroom.  No extra crap to clean or dust or trip over please!

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2013 @ 2:02 PM

Genevieve used to put so much crap in her rooms. Candice Olson did the same thing but it was high end stuff. Gen just uses cheap junk in her rooms. A lot of it did look like Moroccan themed stuff which I don't really care for.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2013 @ 2:10 AM

Genevieve is stunning!!!

She's my secret TV crush. And her mom is stunning, too.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 12:06 AM

Can't stand it when she starts lecturing the DS participants - oops, make that HGTV Star.