The ABC Advisory Board Panel: Getting a Second Opinion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

283 replies to this topic

cycworker

cycworker

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 1:10 AM

I do kinda like Jo and Stephanie, just not enough to care one way or another if they stay.

Jenrin

Jenrin

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 1:58 AM

I do kinda like Jo and Stephanie, just not enough to care one way or another if they stay.

If they weren't trying to make Jo a romantic interest for Karev or pairing Stephanie and Jackson, I'd probably not really care either. While Meredith and Cristina hooked up with Attendings, they were the lead characters, the story was being told through their eyes and the actors were in their mid-30s. I wish the show had brought in a hotshot female attending for Karev, someone like Amelia Shepherd. (But maybe without the drug problem.)

jennatv1

jennatv1

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 4:47 AM

From the network's POV I can see that it may have an impact on the contract renewals and to see what kind of interest there is in watching the show without the original cast.

I am not a member but its my understanding that the panel is ABC Studios, not ABC Television Network. Given the timing of the survey I do agree its possible they want to see which interns are connecting to the audience as part of deciding which will be written for and/or brought back next season.

I think they want a variety of people, not just people 18-20, or 20-25, etc. I know when I became a member, someone younger than I am was not able to join, yet I was.

Its likely that there are more factors than age. Generally speaking studios would look for a range of viewers spread across geographic regions of the country, educational levels, earning levels and their product (in this case television shows) in addition to age.

The best thing about it is that it also seems that the message that we want the focus on the original characters has come across pretty clear. They wrote that they know that we want "more time to be spent on the core characters" but now they want opinions on the supporting characters.

I take that wording as they are trying to keep people focused to the topic and not go off on tangents.

Is it only for USA citizens?

I'm guessing its for US citizens only. Its possible they do not block outside the US and people falsely claim to live in the US to gain entry, but panels such as this are in the end about revenue. The studios producing TV shows for network television need to make shows that networks can profit from airing (ad rates based on US viewership).

Edited by jennatv1, Feb 21, 2013 @ 4:49 AM.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 8:47 AM

I want Alex to be happy. I'll put up with Jo if I have to, but I really hope I don't have to.

Jo wouldn't be my first choice either, but I am afraid that if they get rid of the character than it will really screw up Alex's chance for happiness. Best case scenario is that they bring in someone new next season, but that would mean that he most likely gets hurt again this season and then all of that build up has been for nothing and we start all over again, most likely with much less time to build something (assuming next season is the last). Worst case scenario is they just say screw it, we tried and that will be that.

Right now, Alex is getting more screen time than he has since Izzie left, so I would prefer that they keep Jo and just write her much better.

While Meredith and Cristina hooked up with Attendings, they were the lead characters, the story was being told through their eyes and the actors were in their mid-30s.

Believe me, I hate that she is an intern also, but IMO, Alex is just as much of a main character as Meredith, Derek, Cristina and Owen or Burke, so if the relationship brings about stories for him than I am okay with it. But she also has to be a character in her own right to some degree in order to give Alex something to play off of.

I used to be a panel member (maybe I still am), but I can't remember my login or password or the specifics of how to get to the panel. But I would vote to keep Jo and Shane and lose the rest. But that if Jo is definitely going to be endgame for Alex that they need to cut the sob stories, keep her snarky, up the maturity level and decide if she is going to be tough or a crybaby.

Jenrin

Jenrin

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 10:39 AM

Jo wouldn't be my first choice either, but I am afraid that if they get rid of the character than it will really screw up Alex's chance for happiness. Best case scenario is that they bring in someone new next season, but that would mean that he most likely gets hurt again this season and then all of that build up has been for nothing and we start all over again, most likely with much less time to build something (assuming next season is the last). Worst case scenario is they just say screw it, we tried and that will be that.

Best case would be Jo stays and Alex maintains a friendship with her that helps him connect with someone else. So he doesn't get his heart broken again. I am glad to see Alex get all of this screentime this season. He does deserve it.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 11:02 AM

I actually don't like Jo enough to want her around if she isn't going to be Alex's romantic interest. Her potential as that is my ONLY interest in her, and if they go the friendship only route, then we still have to start all over again with someone new and I just don't see them bringing in another recurring character for him. So my best case scenario is that they just continue to take their relationship slow and give her more mature and interesting material. The actress isn't super strong, but she isn't awful, IMO, and I think that she and Justin Chambers are gelling a lot more than they did at the beginning.

Anyway, I am pretty sure that if Shonda and/or the writers are hell bent on something, no polling is going to change that. I wrote vitriol about Denny until my fingers practically bled back in the day and that fuckery went on for-ever.

Edited by Deanie87, Feb 21, 2013 @ 11:04 AM.

NYluv

NYluv

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 11:29 AM

I love Alex and all of his screen time as Shonda and Co. have been doing him such a disservice by keeping him on the sidelines for a few seasons now... I just don't like that it's because of Jo. Newbie intern or not, I'm just not connecting with her character or their "relationship" and I feel like Alex deserves more and better. I wish that, in lieu of forcing a relationship for him (which, they should have - and could still try - to vet an actress to play a mature doc specifically for him instead of pawning him off to intern-land), have him in scenes with Meredith and Cristina, Jackson, Arizona, Bailey, teaching the other interns, anyone else.

drwyatt

drwyatt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 11:53 AM

Does anyone know why the Lucy Fields character got written out? I know that she followed with Charlie's Angels, but she seemed to be being set up as the real deal for Alex, then she was just gone. Did they not try to keep her?

CED9

CED9

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 12:08 PM

If I recall correctly, Rachael Taylor knew she was doing Charlie's Angels before she got the GA gig, so they only.had her for a set number of episodes, and by the time CA was cancelled, she wouldn't have really fit with what they ended up doing.

NYluv

NYluv

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 12:18 PM

As for Lucy/Rachael Taylor, after Charlie's Angels she jumped on 666 Park Ave. Seeing as both of those shows went bust, my initial thought was maybe Grey's would scoop her back up. A girl could still hope... lol. They were a good match. And I know her character went off to Africa (right?) but she can also wrap up her work there and come back to SGMW. Maybe the new owners will hire her back! lol

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 12:26 PM

Does anyone know why the Lucy Fields character got written out? I know that she followed with Charlie's Angels, but she seemed to be being set up as the real deal for Alex, then she was just gone. Did they not try to keep her?

I guess they could have done but by the time the Charlies Angels show was cancelled she booked another pilot within a few weeks I think and the Grey's writers had probably already moved on to planning the Morgan arc. They might have been interested in having her recurring further but she was offered a leading role. And they already have Arizona for some baby related cases/blonde doc figure.

Edit:

I think she signed on for GA in Sept/Oct but was announced for Charlies Angels before she'd even appeared on the show, so she wasn't waiting around to see if she got a positive response. I didn't dislike her but by the end of the season I though ABC were keeping her on the show to provide maximum exposure for Rachael Taylor. They did that a few times on PrP.

I don't really like Jo, or any of the other interns really, but I guess it's inevitable they'll make some of them regulars, especially if they're planning on any more current series regulars leaving after this season.

Jo for me falls under the "trying way too hard" banner but hey at this point I'll cope if Alex is happy, having screentime and the chick doesn't go too crazy.

I remember one of the most horrifying questions out of the advisary pannel was pre season 4 "what do you think about a possible Derek/Lexie Grey romance?" when the only part of her personality we (or the writers) knew was a possible mini Meredith "barslut!" version. Geez that would have been toxic on so many levels, Gizzie + toxic.

Edited by Featherhat, Feb 21, 2013 @ 12:30 PM.

stella1

stella1

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 12:53 PM

I think they want a variety of people, not just people 18-20, or 20-25, etc.

How I wish I was in that age group, long time ago.

In terms of Cahill's character, I was looking forward to her arrival. I thought the hospital needed a bit of a villain. I don't know her, so why would I care that she has issues?

I think this is why she needs to come back to develop her character. I think she is captivating. She is tough, but deepdown she is vulnerable, she has a soft side. The way she can stand up to Derek is awesome. Her story with Webber is interesting,too. What happened there? And I would like to see at least a friendship storyline with Owen. I would definitely like to see her come back.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 5:28 PM

Constance Zimmer has a recurring role on The Newsroom for season 2 so I don't know how much time she'd have free for GA the rest of this season. I'm not really a fan of what I've seen of her, she's neither charismatic enough to be an "evil bitch" character or likeable enough that I want to explore her issues, I'd rather they spent the screen time developing the many characters they already have, especially if they're going to keep some of these interns longterm.

They're probably just covering all bases everytime there's a new panel so we get questions on all the recurrings. I think even characters like Lexie's group and Sadie had a "how do you like the character?" question and it was clear she was done after 2 of her 7 episodes and then the rest of them got fired in the merger.

Does anybody know how these poll results are actually used? Do they sit down with the show creator and say this is what the people think, change this? Since SR is stealing the show back from the fans and all she wouldn't be too concerned with the results. From the network's POV I can see that it may have an impact on the contract renewals and to see what kind of interest there is in watching the show without the original cast.

Yeah I don't think it has a huge impact on what happens but can help the studio clarify things as you say about interest in storylines and as a negotiation tool and some general ideas about where the show might want to go, but it's unlikely to actually stop a storyline the writers want to tell. It became obvious from mid season 6 that Avery and April would likely be the MWers staying due to the amount of screen time given to them and Reed and Nosedive kinda fading away, but I can't imagine the specific feedback about Pixie was very positive since they literally put a bullet between her eyes.

tooattached

tooattached

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 11:51 PM

I think they just recently added a lot of new members. I do know, in the past, they have put up a notice saying invite your friends with a link but it is not there currently. There was a survey to join including age group and boxes to check for interests. I know someone who tried to join and was rejected due to the fact they stated they had enough people in her age group but she did join a few months later. I asked the moderator years ago who actually got the comments and was advised creator/show runner. I think because the board isn't public the comments may carry slightly more weight than on any boards that are open to everyone. This is the second one this season to ask about specific interns.

I don't think the polls cause them to change story lines or get rid of characters. It's more like the old writers blog where they might get a feel for something they thought was great but was a huge misconnect for the audience. Or toning down a character based on comments or realizing how a character is perceived is different than they planned.