'Biggest Losers': Where Are They Now?

• Please log in to reply

1192 replies to this topic

pelicanlover

pelicanlover

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 5:59 PM

Sadly, it sounds like "our girl" Tara has been struggling with weight gain in the recent past, although it looks like she has it back under control now.  She is being sued, however, by one of her endorsement sponsors.

See

http://www.dailymail...55lbs-loss.html

mk26

mk26

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2013 @ 1:50 PM

Seeing Tara gain weight is a bummer and a litte discouraging. I really thought she would be ok forever.

chocolatine

chocolatine

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2013 @ 5:02 PM

I really thought she would be ok forever.

I think she'll always have to work on it. A beautiful, successful young woman like Tara must have some deep-seated issues to have let her weight balloon to over 300 pounds in the first place. I think these demons will always be there, and she'll always have to fight them.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 12:40 PM

Not only that, but despite the bad angle on that photo, I think you can tell she didn't gain back any disastrous amount.  Was it enough to breach her contract?  Maybe.  But at least in that 2011 photo (which probably had to be well AFTER her contract with those folks was over, since it was only 90 days) it only appears to be about a quarter or so of her BB weight loss.  She didn't gain that much in 90 days, so it had to be even less during that period.  Seems normal, and while she may legitimately have to give them their money back, I don't think its discouraging for the way she's running her entire life.

Plus... this is what she looked like... yesterday: 

https://fbcdn-sphoto...944589865_n.jpg

and

https://twitter.com/...3272448/photo/1

Here's the least flattering recent photo of her up there:  https://twitter.com/...6238080/photo/1

Its enough to tell she isn't super-skinny, but nothing's wrong with that.  She's clearly still in good shape and doesn't appear to be struggling.

Edited by Kromm, Jul 10, 2013 @ 12:41 PM.

pelicanlover

pelicanlover

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 11:48 AM

Of all the years I've loyally watched "The Biggest Loser," I have found that I have liked almost all of the contestants, and have had sympathy on some level for each and every one of them.  Tara, though, remains my favorite because of the sheer grit and determination she demonstrated on the show.  I surely wish her well.  All a marketer would need to do is hire her for an endorsement and show a tape of her pulling that car.  She's a force, and any company which sues her risks a lot of bad publicity, I think.

Shella

Shella

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 11:29 AM

For a period of time though, she had gained quite a bit of weight back. I remember seeing a couple of pictures on her FB/Twitter thinking that. Also does anyone remember when she was making the appearance rounds shilling for that Pam Peeke book? I think it was either a Nightline or 20/20 episode that she appeared on. I thought she also admitting on that show that she gained back weight because she was a food addict, but of course Pam came and rescued her and now she knows she's an addict. I think the recent weight loss is probably because (a) she knew this lawsuit was on the horizon, I'm sure that there was talks/negotiations/politics going on long before the lawsuit was filed and (2) she needs to show, hey I'm skinny, I kept the weight off!

spikester

spikester

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 10:11 AM

I went to the BL run/walk 5K and 10K yesterday in DC.  It was fun, it did seem a little disorganized, but I have never done a race before, so I have nothing to compare it too. 

There were several BLers there.  Dan and Jackie, who were MCing it.  Dan looks great.  I don't think he has gained much of any weight back.  Jackie looks great too.  Of course compared to her spanxed up pic from the finale, she looked a little bigger, but very good.

Lauren and Gail: Gail looks the same as she did on the show.  Lauren, was hard to tell, since she had workout shorts/tank on, and seemed bigger than the finale, but it could have been the clothes too. 

Felipe and Sione were both there shilling the BL ranch in Chicago.  They are still big guys, although not very tall, they look very fit, just big.   I thought from TV that they were both a lot taller.

Also there was Seth from season 2, he is really thin.  I guess he runs a lot. Mike from last season, he looks about the same, and there was another couple there from the DC area who were voted off week 1 of their season.  I don't remember who they were.

Biingo was there too, but I didn't see him.

Anyway, it was fun and I finished without even doing any training.  (Although I am in good enough shape to walk 3 miles easily)

katje

katje

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 2:37 PM

This past Sunday, July 14, I ran the Boilermaker 15K in Utica, NY.  My local running club chartered a couple of buses from Albany to Utica for the run, and one of the guys making the trip told me that he'd been at the Expo the day before and met Danni.  He'd had her sign his bib, which he was wearing.  He told me that he had never watched the show and didn't know who Danni was, but his daughter, who is a fan of the show, was with him and insisted that he get the bib signed.  Here's a local news clip.  Oh, I never did see her myself, but during the after-party, I heard an announcer from the sound stage saying that he had her with him.  She did the 5K.

pelicanlover

pelicanlover

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 24, 2013 @ 5:38 PM

It looks like Bob Harper has had an epiphany.  Now if we can just look forward to TBL spending more time discussing diet and nutrition...

http://www.dailymail...al-trainer.html

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 6:56 PM

Sorry, but if Bob comes back without his lederhosen, I'm out of here.

MommaLode

MommaLode

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2013 @ 10:58 AM

I saw on a blog that Francelina is having a hard time with all the loose skin from her weight loss.  Too bad the producers of the show won't help out with their contestants with this.  It kind of doesn't seem right.

Edited by MommaLode, Oct 2, 2013 @ 10:59 AM.

torreador

torreador

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2013 @ 7:16 AM

Two pretty interesting articles... the second one claims 85-90% regain most if not all of the weight. And it has some alarming statistics about resting metabolic rate after they've lost so quickly!

http://www.people.co...0741135,00.html

http://health.usnews...e-biggest-loser

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2013 @ 8:53 AM

I am not surprised. I only lost weight and kept it off when I decided that I wanted to be healthy and not skinny. I really picked up steam after giving birth because I had spent 10 months eating healthy, exercising regularly but moderatly five days a week, and learning how to take care of myself. I was able to lose weight because I extended those lessons and was able to eat real food at a 500 calorie a day deficit.

So many folks are sold on the idea that you can lose weight counting points, eating special prepared meals that are ultra low fat, and the like. None of that really prepares you for what to do once you have lost the weight. Not only that, but have you read the labels on those packages? The list of chemicals and preservatives is huge.

I have a feeling that we would all be better off if we figured out what the healthy number of calories for each individual is, honestly track what we are eating, and eat real food as opposed to trying special shakes, the newest fad pill, or special meals that are mailed to our homes. Add in walking 10,000 steps a day or more and people would be surprised at what happens.

The weight loss is slower but it does happen and you develop habits that you can maintain when you have reached a healthy weight.

That said, I am so watching the next season. I enjoy the show (for the most part) even if I know that the premise is bullshit.

maryt

maryt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 13, 2013 @ 2:12 PM

So Bob Harper finally figures out what I know already - that diet plays a bigger part in weight loss than exercise.  If you eat 500 calories a day less than your BMR, you will lose 1 pound a week.  

Edited by maryt, Oct 13, 2013 @ 2:12 PM.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2013 @ 2:52 AM

Two pretty interesting articles... the second one claims 85-90% regain most if not all of the weight. And it has some alarming statistics about resting metabolic rate after they've lost so quickly!

http://www.people.co...0741135,00.html

http://health.usnews...e-biggest-loser

Did you notice though that that first one is a sneaky advetorial for a Diet plan?

People Magazine ought to be ashamed for allowing it to be presented as a straight guest blog.

YukonJohn

YukonJohn

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 16, 2013 @ 12:28 AM

So Bob Harper finally figures out what I know already - that diet plays a bigger part in weight loss than exercise.  If you eat 500 calories a day less than your BMR, you will lose 1 pound a week.

No, you would need to eat 500 calories per day less than your TDEE (Today Daily Energy Exependiture) to lose 1 pound per week, not your BMR.

BMR is the calories you would burn laying in bed 24 hours per day.  TDEE is BMR + daily calorie expenditure from activity.

If you consistently consume less calories than your BMR your body is in starvation mode.  You are going to lose a lot of lean tissue (muscle) because your body starts storing fat.

Edited by YukonJohn, Oct 16, 2013 @ 12:33 AM.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2013 @ 6:30 AM

I ate 500 calories less then whatever MyFitnessPal uses and they do not use TDEE. I ate back my exercise calories. There are many ways of measuring this and just about all of them work as long as you eat or exercise so that you lose 3,500 calories a week, and you will lose 1 pound.

I won't bother with the starvation mode thing because, well, there are entire websites that discuss that and it pretty much comes down to it is BS.

It is good that Bob is finally paying more attention to diet. Hopefully he is passing that message on to his team on the show and they learn that lesson. Something needs to change in how the show teaches the contestants so that they actually keep the weight off and live a healthy life style.

mickd

mickd

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 6, 2013 @ 10:56 PM

I'm pretty sure I saw Pam (Damn Girl) running the NYC Marathon this weekend. She was wearing her white Biggest Loser shirt. I passed her at mile 6 and saw her again at the medical tent at mile 10. I was leaving as she was coming in. She looked pretty good.

I'm not a very good judge of these things and she had definitely put on weight since the finale but major kudos to her for doing the marathon. I'm not sure if she finished or not. I hope so.

katje

katje

Fanatic

Posted Dec 23, 2013 @ 7:13 AM

Flipping through the channels yesterday, I came across Live Big with Ali Vincent.  I'd never seen the show before, and Ali definitely has regained weight--my guess is about 30 pounds or so.  (And I was one of the few people in the world who didn't think she was too thin at her finale.)  The episode was mostly Ali and her mother ziplining.  Ali got a bit freaked out when she was told she had to get on a scale for the zipline guy.  She noted to the audience that she clearly has gained weight but didn't want to know how much.  After lots of drama, she ultimately got on the scale, at first asking the guy not to tell her what her weight was but just write it in his form.  Then she changed her mind and asked to see the form.  She told "us" that she wasn't revealing her weight because "I don't have to anymore."  I don't really remember how her mother was looking at the finale, but my sense is that she looks roughly the same.  I seem to recall she hadn't lost all that much (relatively speaking), but I think she's probably maintained most of it.

jdee87

jdee87

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 2, 2014 @ 11:31 AM

Recently saw this on twitter. It's a video of two past contestants on a morning show in Chicago giving advice to people on how to stick to their New Years diets/resolutions.

http://video.wgntv.c...MVrDXKp.twitter

I'm sorry but why should I listen to either of you about how to keep weight off/lose weight. I understand you lost weight on the BL but you clearly haven't kept it off. Mark (he claims he's body building I once read) is looking heavy and Amanda? Well she got plastic surgery to remove the extra skin on her stomach but the girl still looks heavy. Not to mention her clothes are waaayyyy to tight. Spandex is not your friend.

I just don't get how these past contestants feel like the can preach to the general public about how to lose weight and feel like they can but look like this? I remember that Daniel and Rebecca (yes the girl who wore the really short dress back on her finale night) are now personal trainers to help others with their weight loss? How can I take an ounce of advice from people and are heavy themselves?

And Courtney? AKA "Journey" yes she has lost a ton of weight and I give her credit for that but she cannot be healthy like she claims.

auntlada

auntlada

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2014 @ 9:47 PM

I thought Mark looked big, but that Amanda looks pretty good. I think she needs to sit up straight (and wear clothes that aren't so tight, but I think that about most women around the age she looks to be), but she looks pretty good to me.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2014 @ 12:23 PM

http://myfitspiration.com/  Hannah and Olivia webpage 

Olivia had a miscarriage in early November, and she talks about it in a video blog.

Kim Nielsen went to rehab for a possible drinking problem.  I guess she thought alcohol could drown out her pain.

Edited by bigskygirl, Feb 6, 2014 @ 1:06 PM.

ChicagoCita

ChicagoCita

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2014 @ 2:14 PM

Kim Nielsen went to rehab for a possible drinking problem.  I guess she thought alcohol could drown out her pain.

Happens a LOT with addictive personalities (of which I am one).  Back in the day, I used to go to AA meetings with a friend.  The piles of food and the amount of cigarette smoke in the room were overwhelming.  Conversely, a lot of people who lost weight in Overeaters Anonymous ended up at AA with drinking problems.