'Biggest Losers': Where Are They Now?

• Please log in to reply

1192 replies to this topic

pepperpot34

pepperpot34

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 19, 2008 @ 9:56 AM

I don't know if this has already been posted or not. I searched and did not find anything like.

'Biggest Loser': Where are they now?

Chances are good that Heba the Hutt, Special Ed, and V'Icky will gain the weight back.

ETA....My bad...I see that someone has already posted this. My apologies.

Edited by pepperpot34, Dec 19, 2008 @ 9:58 AM.

SecondWife

SecondWife

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 19, 2008 @ 10:10 AM

Good article.

I wonder why they haven't tracked down any of the "Special Edition" contestants, like the engaged couples or the military wives?

chocolatine

chocolatine

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2008 @ 10:37 AM

So of all the people profiled in the article, Drea from Season 1 has been the only one to keep off all of the weight long-term. Last season's Ali is looking promising, but we'll have to wait another 2-3 years to see if she's truly kept it off.

One a sour note, Season 3 Amy and Season 4 Isabeau are personal trainers at 195 and 220 lbs, respectively??? That's 35-40 lbs more than they weighed at their respective finales, and for Isabeau it's only been a year. If they couldn't manage to keep their own weight off, how are they going to help other people reach their optimum weight? Personally, I'd be highly suspicious of a trainer whose weight fluctuates so wildly.

cjtathome

cjtathome

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 19, 2008 @ 11:16 AM

That was an interesting article, I always wonder about the permanency of the weight loss over time. Chocalatine, you are correct that only one of the people in the article has kept all the weight off, but a bunch of others have gained only relatively small amounts of weight, especially if you consider that before the season finale people tend to starve themselves and be dehydrated (even the ones only competing for the at-home prize).

I took a look at some of the men's status. The first numbers are their original weight at the start of the show, the second is their finale weight, and the third is their weight today.

370 to 210 to 240
365 to 219 to 255
334 to 170 to 198
297 to 187 to 195
285 to 156 to 184
283 to 153 to 160

The top two or three are from much earlier seasons, the bottom two are last year's. From looking at their current pictures, it does seem as though a lot of the weight regain was the natural result of eating again and replacing water. The guys who got
down to 156 and 153 didn't look to have builds as small as mine, so being in the 150s was probably too low for them anyway. (I'm 5 foot 8 and have what you would call small bones, or a small build, and my doctor likes me at about 140 to 145. These guys look bigger than that.) The first two guys on the list have to watch it, they probably don't want to regain any more, or take off just a little.

JLB81682

JLB81682

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 19, 2008 @ 11:25 AM

Season 3 Amy and Season 4 Isabeau are personal trainers at 195 and 220 lbs, respectively??? That's 35-40 lbs more than they weighed at their respective finales, and for Isabeau it's only been a year. If they couldn't manage to keep their own weight off, how are they going to help other people reach their optimum weight? Personally, I'd be highly suspicious of a trainer whose weight fluctuates so wildly.

I'd be more suspicious of a trainer who doesn't look like they have the muscle to put me through workouts. Isabeau's article stated that she was focusing on building muscle, not fitting into whatever size of jeans she wanted to. I can see her at 220 as muscle weighs more than fat and I believe she had a bigger frame than a lot of the other women on TBL.

Cat Collector

Cat Collector

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2008 @ 12:39 PM

This is a great idea for a thread. I'd love it if we could track down some other former contestants and see how they're doing.

I guess it doesn't surprise me that almost everyone has gained some weight back. They probably go to great lengths to get as low as possible for the finale, particularly if they think they're in the running for one of the prizes. The grey team guys from this season probably didn't sweat it too much since they knew they weren't close, but Phil and Amy, for example, may have gone the extra mile to get rid of every ounce possible because they figured they had a chance of winning the at-home prize. In the long run, they may be healthier if they put a few pounds back on. It's the ones who let it get out of control again that are heartbreaking.

chocolatine

chocolatine

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2008 @ 1:15 PM

I can see her at 220 as muscle weighs more than fat and I believe she had a bigger frame than a lot of the other women on TBL.

I have to respectfully disagree. I don't think 220 lbs is a healthy weight for a woman, unless she's significantly taller than 6' or a professional bodybuilder. Isabeau weighed 185 lbs at the Season 4 finale, and still looked like she could stand to lose more weight. And I highly doubt that she gained 35lbs of muscle in one year - I'm not sure that's even possible.

They probably go to great lengths to get as low as possible for the finale, particularly if they think they're in the running for one of the prizes.

That's true, but most contestants are at a healthy weight at the finale, so if they regain 30+ lbs, they're coming close to the overweight territory again. I guess I was just hoping that, once the media circus is over, the contestants would continue working towards / staying at a healthy weight for their own sake. I don't mean keeping up the 8hr/day workouts, but a consistent regimen of intense workouts 3-4 times a week, coupled with a calorie-controlled diet, should get 99% of the population to a healthy weight eventually.

Edited by chocolatine, Dec 19, 2008 @ 2:04 PM.

jj17

jj17

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 19, 2008 @ 1:41 PM

I guess I was just hoping that, once the media circus is over, the contestants would continue working towards / staying at a healthy weight for their own sake.

I agree. They should be working out to maintain their weights which should be less work then losing all the weight they did.

pepperpot34

pepperpot34

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 19, 2008 @ 5:16 PM

I kind of feel bad for Suzy. It looks like she is really put the pounds back on. I know how hard it is to lose that baby weight. I don't feel bad for homewrecker Amy who is back up to 195lbs.

A couple of contestants decide to become personal trainers after the show but personally I would really skeptical to hire any one of the because I don't feel that they have enough experience or are really qualified especially asshat Matt Hoover and even more so after this

dupreesgal

dupreesgal

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 22, 2008 @ 10:07 AM

Suzy has a blog where she is talking about her progress in losing the baby weight. She started 6 weeks after her youngest was born (October/November) timeframe. That's impressive to me! With two really young children, she is making an effort to go to the gym and eat well. At that point, most moms are just thinking about getting some sleep. I know that I was!

jj17

jj17

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 22, 2008 @ 11:29 AM

Can you provide a link with Suzy's blog?

mm1970

mm1970

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 23, 2008 @ 4:47 PM

I'm not at all surprised that most people have gained some of the weight back. Even Ryan, who has kept off 30 lbs, is better off for it. Losing weight is HARD and maintenance is often even harder. Slowly, over time, your eating habits change, and before you know it, you've gained 10 lbs (I speak from experience).

I'd love the link to Suzy's blog too. I am impressed that she starting working at it at 6 wks. I did too but gave up quickly. It wasn't until my son was 20 months old until I finally had the time and energy to take off the last 20 lbs (of course, I gained back 10 lbs this year...which is now down to 4.2...it's a lifelong battle). And I had only one child and had to go part time at work to be able to do that.

uranushertz

uranushertz

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 24, 2008 @ 12:31 AM

The only thing I want to know: Has Vicky regained all her fat back?

Hockeygirl17

Hockeygirl17

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 24, 2008 @ 8:28 AM

You can find Matt and Suzy both blogging on best life design

Edited by Hockeygirl17, Dec 24, 2008 @ 8:29 AM.

dupreesgal

dupreesgal

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 24, 2008 @ 1:54 PM

Here's the link
http://bestlifedesig...gs/suzy hoover/

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Dec 27, 2008 @ 1:57 AM

I actually thought that most of the results highlighted in this article were pretty damn good. With some exceptions of course. I guess I just expect these folks to gain a little bit back, for reasons others have already highlighted. Some of these folks go to extraordinary means to win the money at the finale and IMO aren't exactly healthy for that final weigh in. I don't see any way that they would be able to maintain a weight that they either dehydrated themselves or gave up solid food to reach. For instance people like Bill, Ali and Mark were too gaunt looking by finale time, so IMO they could have stood to gain a little back.

I can't speak to Isabeau since I would need to see a better pic of her, but I'm happy to see some of my faves like Kelly and Nicole doing really well. Even though it's only been a season, I'm a bit surprised to see that Dan maintained pretty well. He's one that I expected to go right back to his old habits.

cosmic1

cosmic1

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 27, 2008 @ 10:57 PM

Thanks for sharing the link. I really like to see how people are doing after the show. I'm not surprised with the weight gains - they lost the weight so quickly. The body really fights back when you do that and rebounding is not unusual. I was shocked to see that Isabeau went back up to 220 and I hope she is trying to get back down to where she was at the finale. It's hard though - I always say that losing weight is the easy part - the hardest part is keeping it off. The need for vigilance never ends and that can get tiring.

pepperpot34

pepperpot34

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 29, 2008 @ 1:56 PM

Eventhough she wasn't a 'Biggest Loser' I thought that Caroline should at least get an honorable mention

The only thing I want to know: Has Vicky regained all her fat back?

It's only a matter of time. And I don't think that it should take that long.

Edited by pepperpot34, Dec 29, 2008 @ 1:58 PM.

mishap

mishap

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 29, 2008 @ 8:10 PM

I know the show is first and foremost, entertainment. It's obvious-- they want rating. But it does still have the opportunity to share some useful information, and does inspire some people to change their lives. Personally, I think the most it inspires is for people to try out for the show. There is just no duplication that experience at home. But, in order to keep any respectability at all, and to maybe keep a little bit of the realness, as in actually losing weight, they need to address the 'keeping it off' aspect too. I think they could do a whole season of former contestants, their struggles and triumphs. But maybe they don't want to get that 'real'. They might want us to all think it's a 'magic pill' type of solution and that everyone who is lucky enough to get on the show and lose weight will be able to keep it off-- no problem.
Maybe they could work with 'Discovery Health Channel', or something, to clear some of this up. I'm sure they would do a special on it, but they probably can't without permission from TPTB at TBL.
But really, so what if they can beat the weight off someone in a controlled environment? We do see amazing results, even after they've all been home on their own, but also, the 'results' show is a huge motivation for these people. They want to look good- they want to 'wow' the audience. They don't want to be the one we all talk about who didn't really do that well. Once the show is over, I bet a lot of them relax quite a bit. Some maybe for a little while, and some long enough to re-establish those old habits....
I wonder if enough time goes by, and the former 'losers' will be able to talk about their experiences on the ranch and at home, without worrying about any consequences from TBL.

bmb654

bmb654

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2008 @ 11:55 AM

Marty and Amy are reproducing: People article

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2008 @ 10:03 PM

Does anyone know how Paul (Kelly's ex, on Biggest Loser Couples) is doing? I remember he
had some serious health problems toward the end of that season.

PittsburghDiva

PittsburghDiva

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2009 @ 2:12 PM

I really think Suzy will lose the weight again. She seems pretty determined and had two pregnancies close together.

As for Isabeau- there is no way I would pay to go to a 220 lbs personal trainer. Sorry, but- no. I could see if she built muscle but maintained her weight but geeeez.

Same with Amy, and now with her being pregnant I can see her struggling. I am also disgusted by the People article on them- blech.

SecondWife

SecondWife

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 2, 2009 @ 4:02 PM

Does anyone know how Paul (Kelly's ex, on Biggest Loser Couples) is doing? I remember he
had some serious health problems toward the end of that season.

He's on MySpace...he doesn't talk much about his current health status, so I suppose he is doing okay. His recent pics show he's kept off the weight he lost, but hasn't really lost much more.

staypuff

staypuff

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 2, 2009 @ 7:10 PM

Did anyone else feel that Kelly really didn't give a damn about Paul? He was just a tool to get on the show.

Cat Collector

Cat Collector

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2009 @ 1:19 AM

I felt just the opposite. I thought he wanted to go on the show in an attempt to win her back, but she already had a boyfriend and no interest in reconciling with Paul, but wanted to do the show to improve her health and her life.

kj4ever

kj4ever

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2009 @ 7:04 AM

I felt just the opposite. I thought he wanted to go on the show in an attempt to win her back, but she already had a boyfriend and no interest in reconciling with Paul, but wanted to do the show to improve her health and her life.

I agree. I think it was totally Paul who had alterior motives. Kelly was pretty upfront with how she felt about Paul. I remember seeing Paul's Where are they now? and when they showed his girlfriend my mouth hit the ground. That poor woman.

Oh, and Cat Collector, you have the coolest. username. ever.

staypuff

staypuff

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 3, 2009 @ 11:32 AM

Just like I said...she played him. Nothing wrong with that though. He let her play him. The big schmuck. And he singlehandedly saved her butt on more than one occasion.

Edited by staypuff, Jan 3, 2009 @ 11:33 AM.

Bearsfan 1

Bearsfan 1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 4, 2009 @ 11:59 PM

I disagree that she played him. I recall an interview early on where she had indicated that he asked her to do the show with him because he needed it for extreme health concerns. Although they were no longer together, she did care about him as a friend and she agreed to do it on that basis, in addition to her own weight issues.

W Santiago

W Santiago

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 5, 2009 @ 1:47 AM

I read an interview with Kelly, and she said that it was because of Paul she got on the show. At her audition, she was asked if she'd be able to bring a viable partner to the game. She mentioned that she had an ex husband who was overweight. They asked if she had a picture of him. And she showed a picture that she had on her cell phone...of Paul wearing a yellow speedo. After that, they were pretty much in. He shouldn't have expected to reconcile on the show; he had a girlfriend at home.

Vexer

Vexer

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2009 @ 6:05 PM

Interesting article. It looks like most have at least maintained their weight in the range of where they were. But I just have to say THANK GOD that Mark from Season 5 put some weight back on. He looked sick at the end of the season. But Bernie was and still is just adorable!

I have to agree that Isabeau, even if she is muscular, at 220 pounds is NOT a personal trainer I would go to. Sorry, yes, I want a PT that could kick my ass through a wall, but not one that looks like they could sit on me and squash me. Give me a Jillian-looking PT any day. Jillian is not light by any means (I think I've heard she weighs 140-150) but she IS solid muscle. No way could Isabeau be solid muscle at 220.

Here's wishing Suzy great success with her baby weight loss. She was so awesome on her season and I loved that she and Matt got together. He was another that looked pretty concentration camp-y at the end of his season. He could probably lose 20-30 pounds but he's just one of those beefy kind of guys naturally so he carries his current weight well. And their kids are CU-YUUUUTE!