3-12: "Do You Take Dexter Morgan?" 2008.12.14 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

92 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 10:55 AM

NOTE: Please discuss only this episode in this thread. Discussion about the season in general, the series in general, the previews for the next episode, etc. should go in other threads. Off-topic posts may be deleted.

summerbummin

summerbummin

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 10:04 PM

Well that was all tied up real pretty and packaged with a bow just in time for Christmas. It was a tad too "perfect."

Loved Deb getting her shield and then making up with Anton. Glad Dex got out of George King's clutches. I guess I am happy with the way the episode played out. But, I was kind of hoping for a big cliff hanger.

aprilgirl

aprilgirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 10:04 PM

That was a pretty underwhelming season finale.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 10:08 PM

I have to admit I liked the imagery of Dex bleeding on Rita's wedding dress, but overall a fairly underwhelming episode.

rhys7

rhys7

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 10:10 PM

Yep, too damn neat.
Couldn't someone tell that the skinning was post mortem? Couldn't someone determine that George King had something else happen to him prior to falling on the police car?

Full of holes.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 10:11 PM

I'm surprised at how much I liked the finale in spite of the early killing of Miguel. Even Deb didn't annoy too much. Except for that bit about Angel.

The conversation between Dex & Harry about having a son and being a son was incredible. And then the wedding with the blood on the dress. (I was expecting her to be showing a little more.) A little Deus ex machina much getting out of the sitch with King.

More to come.

ETA: I'd like to see Rita and Dex become a murdering couple. I was thinking maybe she killed her first husband.

Edited by isiscloud, Dec 14, 2008 @ 10:12 PM.

bc4me

bc4me

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 10:11 PM

Well, I loved it. In fact I loved the whole season. I thought it was the best one yet.

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 10:15 PM

Blood on the dress is a bad omen, right? At least I hope so. I'm finding Rita more and more dull, dull, dull.

I did like the fact that Miguel continued to manipulate Dexter even in death. Dexter had gotten to the point where he was a know-it-all, and I can't imagine that's too healthy in the serial killer business. Dexter had no idea that Ramon was the "good" brother, and he was taken in by Miguel's lies in so many areas. I also liked the fact that Dexter helped Ramon by "removing the thorn from his paw." Dexter's not aware that he has a good side, but it definitely came through there.

Masuka still seems to be with...Tammy was her name?

The actress who plays Frances is absolutely stunning.

rhys7

rhys7

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 10:18 PM

What did Dex do with Ellen's ring?

gabbylee

gabbylee

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 10:19 PM

Liked the episode though it wasn't the most exciting. But wow, miquels wife is a bit harsh. I know she had thrown the guy out but shouldn't she at least be upset for her children? Maybe she could stay home with them for a night since their dad was just murdered?

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 10:24 PM

Liked the episode though it wasn't the most exciting. But wow, miquels wife is a bit harsh. I know she had thrown the guy out but shouldn't she at least be upset for her children? Maybe she could stay home with them for a night since their dad was just murdered?

They didn't have children, but I also thought it was odd that Syl had absolutely no reaction to Miguel's murder.

TheRabbi

TheRabbi

Fanatic

• Interests:Currently watching:<br /><br />The Amazing Race - not quite what it once was, but still an addict<br />Chuck - ditto<br />Dexter- great stuff<br />30 Rock - season 5 is the funniest its ever been! Probably my favorite show currently airing<br />The Office - nowhere near where it once was, but still alright<br />Modern Family - good stuff!<br /><br />New shows this year I'm still watching (have dumped a few):<br /><br />Walking Dead - great stuff!<br />No Ordinary Family - mediocre<br />The Event - Reading the recaps and board comments is immensely more entertaining than the show, so I watch!<br />Raising Hope - awesome!<br />Running Wilde - good! (will they ever burn off the remaining eps?)<br />The Cape - started out awesome, starting to fizzle<br /><br />RIP:<br /><br />Pushing Daisies - possibly the greatest show of all time<br />Lost - lackluster resolution to most mysteries, but still a monumental show<br />24 - downward spiral the last couple years, but once again, still a monumental show

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 10:27 PM

This show is starting to struggle with season finales. 2nd season in a row where the build-up is really good, and the payoff, not so much.

I don't get why Dexter didnt just stay put after taking down George King. It would obviously be seen as self-defense, and I don't think anything would have incriminated him to be more than just killing King.

The Deb storyline I didn't particularly care for, plus they never really resolved her looking into Harry's past, just the folder showing Laura Moser.

I guess I'm just feeling very "blah" right now. Ho hum wedding, everything's tied up all nice and neat. Most enjoyable part of the hour was the little teaser afterward about a new season coming in 09, which made me all giggly.

IMO definitely better than season 2, but certainly season 1 can rest easy. That's definitely a good sign though, as it shows its not moving slowly downhill, but getting better since season 2.

Newmy

Newmy

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 10:28 PM

I am one of the few who have really enjoyed this season and, in fact, have found it the best and most enjoyable so far.... up until these final two episodes. Last week's episode was just dull and Miguel's murder oddly anticlimactic, but I was okay with that because I thought it was setting up the drama and tension for the final episode. Well, not so much. The prior episodes were phenomenal, but I am disappointed with the last two. It would have been nice to have some sort of cliffhanger in the finale.

I did enjoy Deb's smackdown of Angel and calling him out for his hypocrisy regarding Gianna.

amsci

amsci

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 10:28 PM

Gabbylee Miguel and Syl don't have any children, but Ramon and his wife have two (?)

This episode played like a violent Lifetime movie of the week: Dex giving Ramon the Dr. Phil treatment, the "OMG Babiez make life living" talk with Harry, Deb's "I chose you" speech, the wedding... like, gag me with duct tape fer sure.

Fandomania

Fandomania

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 10:29 PM

Could have been better. A lot better. Good: Dex & Deb, Dex & Ramon, Dex & Harry at the end. Yuck: Rita's yawner of a subplot. It felt completely manipulative, like the writers were going to say later on "oooh, look how cool we were for setting this up earlier on".

And finale of the Skinner debacle? Double Ugh. How in the hell would Dex have realistically gotten away? There was a SQUAD of police cars surrounding the warehouse. No way that no one would have noticed a big ole SUV driving away. And what would have been so awful with them catching Dex there. He could obviously show that he was tied up and kidnapped.

Finally, the whole Deb / LaGuerta / Angel thing was waaay too rushed. Nice ending, but again, way too rushed and seemed designed to wrap things into a neat bow.

Edited by Fandomania, Dec 14, 2008 @ 10:31 PM.

summerbummin

summerbummin

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 10:32 PM

And all of a sudden we find out Rita was married at 16? This will have to be a storyline for season 4. I mean why mention it if it won't play out? The third times a charm thing? Or that Rita keeps secrets like Dex? Nah - it was just odd to throw that out.

Now I have enjoyed the entire season - entire series in fact, but I was on pins and needles watching the first 35 minutes and then blah.

Skylergirl

Skylergirl

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 10:37 PM

I wonder if Miguel will be mentioned next season so that LaGuerta will prove he killed Ellen. Driving past his road everyday will drive her nuts.

And yay! Deb made detective and got to go to the wedding with Anton and not Quinn.

Thanks for clearing up where the blood came from; I didn't realize it was from his wrist since I don't think they bleed unless the bone actually comes through the skin.

CheshrKat

CheshrKat

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 11:01 PM

I actually love this show for not indulging in season finale cliffhangers, because I absolutely detest them and have stopped watching some shows that left me hanging during a season finale, when the next season is months and months away.

This season finale was definitely a lot less tense than the prior season finales, but I still liked it a lot. I've found the entire season to be entertaining, and I am fascinated by the way they continue to evolve Dexter. I assume his internal monologue during which he forgave Harry means that he will be returning to the Code next season without deviation, which makes some sense.

I also like the fact that Deb and LaGuerta may be starting to become friends, after a couple of seasons with tension between them.

And I can't wait to see what the show has planned now that Laura Moser's picture landed on Deb's desk. I couldn't see if any of those CI files included the names of the women, but I assume they do.

LSU1974

LSU1974

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 11:05 PM

Anticlimactic finale with (once again) everything tied up too nice and neat. Except for Rita's first husband (which is a plot thread with nothing else attached to it, so right now it's not interesting) and Deb having Laura Moser's file on her desk (much more interesting, but I would have preferred for her to actually see it this episode so that the writers are forced to address it in season four...otherwise, they are leaving themselves a potential "out").

Otherwise, meh. It was somewhat "clever" for Ramon to be revealed as the "good" brother all along but that end was wrapped up too quickly and neatly. All of a sudden, Dexter is allegedly off of the hook for Miguel in his eyes? And his career is still totally ruined.

Best part was seeing Dexter in action against King, both with the mindgames and the actual fighting. Not bad work taking down an ex military type in hand to hand combat...especially with one of his hands broken. And, no, he couldn't have stuck around. Everybody knew King was gunning for people linked to Freebo so Dexter having to explain why he was targeted would have been too awkward and not worth the hassle. Dexter made the smart choice by bailing out of there.

On another note, the next season pretty much has to start the next day from the point of view of the characters, doesn't it? It's not like after hounding the files lady a couple of times over the past couple of episodes, Deb all of a sudden is going to forget to check them.

Edited by LSU1974, Dec 14, 2008 @ 11:09 PM.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 11:11 PM

That was a pretty underwhelming season finale.

That's what I thought too. Compared it to the others season and it's way underwhelming. I actually liked the last episode better than this one. Maybe I just expected something better.

I was on pins and needles watching the first 35 minutes and then blah.

I also thought the first half(or so) was more interesting than the last. I don't know,I didn't even feel like there was any real build-up with the Skinner scene. Just didn't feel all that threatening,maybe because of the talk with his father popping up. I actually really liked S2's finale crazy Lilah scenes with Dex/finding Doakes in the cabinmore intense. But I'm a big S2 lover.

"It's not like you broke your arm on purpose." Heh. And there was another one of those funny remarks with Dex and Rita but I can't remember. Anyone?

What was that thing Dexter had in his hand when he was talking to Ramon in jail?

kechara

kechara

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 11:19 PM

Ellen's ring was in his hand for leverage but it turns out he didn't need it.

The ending was a bit bland, although besides the blood on the dress image I liked the Harry and Laura ghosts dressed up and toasting Dexter with their champagne glasses..it was a bit cute I guess, but it was smile inducing.
This episode almost felt like it should be a series ender...not that I'm ready for that.

Edited by kechara, Dec 14, 2008 @ 11:20 PM.

beadedlizard

beadedlizard

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 11:28 PM

Boooooooooooring.

Seriously. The blood on the wedding dress was lovely; shame about absolutely everything else.

I hope they pick up the Deb and Laura Moser thing next season, and I hope to god they can start working with the kids in the flashbacks again so we don't have to endure anymore of this horrifically treacly Harry-as-subconscious-source-of-actual-emotions dialogue.

I am pleased about them keeping Anton, though. He's a nice guy, good for Deb, and clearly has the miraculous ability to heal from horrific injuries in record time.

CarolynfromLa

CarolynfromLa

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 15, 2008 @ 12:22 AM

I agree it felt like a rushed ending, and have two things to complain about especially: 1) King cut Dexter at the crime scene, likely leaving blood, and there was a broken table with ropes attached just waiting to be found. Did the police just not go upstairs in the factory? It's ridiculous if this doesn't lead to something next season. And 2) Syl was waaay too OK with Miguel's death. They were seperated for what, a week? And what an awkward wedding reception that would be with Syl and Laguerta both there. If Syl really believes there was an affair, isn't that all the more reason she should have stayed home?

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2008 @ 12:33 AM

Dexter is like Houdini.

End of S2 needed a great escape and so did this season finale.

He was good in the clutch, when he heard the sirens, he knew he had to get rid of King and get away (too many questions about why the Skinner abducted him and how he dispatched a mass murderer so easily, with a broken hand no less).

And he got rid of King in a way which would stop questions. Sure the cops should have checked upstairs and had his body autopsied more closely.

Peekay

Peekay

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2008 @ 1:10 AM

I agree it was too rushed. The materials in this episode could've covered two episodes and that probably would've worked better. And what about all the fake-outs? I seriously thought Deb would find Dexter, or even see him kill the Skinner, but she missed it again. Way too many close-calls without actually closing in or building up to them effectively.

That said, I still enjoyed it. If nothing else, I think they did a wonderful job with character development for almost everyone (except possibly Rita) this season. Dexter found his footing and family, Deb came to her own self and realized she didn't have to follow their non-too-perfect father, Angel got to experience his human connection, Laguerta became a lot more human and interesting (and her friendship with Deb is awesome) and so on and so forth.

So, Deb has to find out about Dexter next season, yes? The writers can choose the "out," but it's too good a set up to let go at this point, and this show needs a better conflict.

lanter

lanter

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 15, 2008 @ 1:12 AM

The Deb storyline I didn't particularly care for, plus they never really resolved her looking into Harry's past, just the folder showing Laura Moser.

I may be proven wrong but something tells me that this storyline will be picked up in the next season. At least I hope that it will be.

This was a rather quiet season ending but I for one am not complaining. Sometimes it is nice to watch a show go for slow rolling character reveals rather than big time cliffhangers.

Dexter is entering a new phase of his life and how he reconciles that with his baser instincts should (hopefully) be interesting to watch enfold.

I loved the scene between Debra and LaGuerta. They have always had a cantankerous relationship and seeing them finally coming to an understanding as both police officers and as women was neat to watch.

Deb brought Anton to the wedding, excellent.

Ramonís hotheadedness actually being a response to Miguelís pshychopathy was surprising but it made sense. The one Prada brother left standing was the one who had been (publicly) seen as the most dangerous.

I understand why so many found this season of Dexter to be slow and boring but I enjoyed it. I have no idea where they will go from here but I look forward to finding out.,

MrPissyPuppy

MrPissyPuppy

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2008 @ 1:19 AM

1) King cut Dexter at the crime scene, likely leaving blood, and there was a broken table with ropes attached just waiting to be found.

Dexter had ropes in his hands as he was leaving. I assumed they were the ropes that had bound him.

AudiRox

AudiRox

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 15, 2008 @ 1:23 AM

Apart from the fact that Rita bores me to death, I actually liked this episode a lot. The pace was very consistent with this season (slow to start but rushed at the end)... but I'm not complaining because I have faith next season will bring more to the floor. I want to know what the blood on the wedding dress means and wonder what Deb will do with all those CI files.

Very happy that Deb and Anton made up. I think they just fit. And I certainly wouldn't mind a pot-smoking musician like Anton Briggs for myself.

Edited by AudiRox, Dec 15, 2008 @ 1:56 AM.

tardigrade

tardigrade

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 15, 2008 @ 2:04 AM

Loved the image of the blood on the wedding dress, but (speaking from the experience of a having had a badly broken arm) there shouldn't have been any blood, as the skin didn't seem broken. Dexter was cut elsewhere, but dancing shouldn't reopen that wound. (And how's he going to explain it to Rita?)

Overall, I like this episode better than the previous two, mainly because the focus was back on Dexter. Some pat summing up, but overall it sowed some seeds for an interesting season 4 - if the writers can remember they're writing for premium cable and can be daring. So Rita has a few secrets of her own - what else is she hiding?

Couldn't someone tell that the skinning was post mortem? Couldn't someone determine that George King had something else happen to him prior to falling on the police car?

They could have, say, a blood-spatter expert look at Miguel's wounds and note that the pattern was inconsistent with skinning a living person - oh, wait. Seriously, I'd expect a somewhat thorough autopsy on Prado, maybe not so good a one on King, and the skinning's got to show up as post-mortem - unless Miami is more corrupt and incompetent than the plot calls for.

Harry - I liked his conversation with Dexter this episode - sure had a lot of attractive female CIs! I wonder how many other affairs he had.

Mindymoo

Mindymoo

Fanatic

• Interests:I'm a musician, a student, a liberal, and I have my own little craft business. To allow you to get to know me, here are my top tens, in no particular order.<br /><br />Music: Pink Floyd. Grateful Deadl Frank Zappa. Nick Drake. Bob Dylan. Donovan. Warren Zevon. Van Morrison. Yes. The Who.<br /><br />Movies: Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Pulp Fiction. The Wall. Harold and Maude. The Godfather. Dr. Strangelove. Take the Money and Run. Die, Mommy, Die. Chinatown.<br /><br />TV: The Sopranos. The Twilight Zone. The Daily Show. The Shield. Kids in the Hall. SCTV. Blackadder. Monty Python's Flying Circus. Absolutely Fabulous. Dexter.<br /><br />Books: The Glass Castle. Darkly Dreaming Dexter. The Audacity of Hope. Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers. Night. Anything by Al Franken, Jon Stewart, Truman Capote, Hunter S. Thompson, and David Sedaris.<br /><br />Hobbies: Singing. Playing music. Making music. Sewing. Writing. Photography. Reading. Watching TV. Watching movies. Shopping.

Posted Dec 15, 2008 @ 4:55 AM

Lame. So absolutely, totally, incredibly lame. There was not one good thing about the finale. There was no suspense, no action, no intrigue... And why should I have worried about the Skinner? Dex has had little involvement with the case. There was no rivalry there, the way there was with Brian, Doakes and Lila. What, because in one of the worst scenes of the season, where Miguel has a lame confrontation with Dexter for the Skinner's benefit, I should have been worried? And at the ending, I kept hoping that some larges winged creature would swoop down, grab Rita by the head, snap her neck, and drop her into the ocean: where she would drown. No third wedding for her, no first for him. Astor and Cody can live with their grandma from hell, and Dexter will have a clean slate. That would have been my kind of ending. What they gave us was absolute crap. In the words of my beloved Frank Zappa, as said by his daughter Moon Unit: barf me out; gag me with a spoon.

Perhaps this would have been a mediochre finale for a show on network TV, but not for Showtime. If I pay for extra channels, the shows better be worth the money.

I am actually kind of embarrassed, because I got my aunt and her friends hooked on the show, and they will end up watching this episode next year, and totally question my judgement of good television.

Edited by Mindymoo, Dec 15, 2008 @ 5:01 AM.