Toddlers & Tiaras

• Please log in to reply

12750 replies to this topic

Trojangirldance

Trojangirldance

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2009 @ 5:26 PM

Many of the pageant forms we get state they will hold a special needs divison with enough interest. But, you have many parents who would like to teach their children that rather than be singled out for whatever their disability my be, to instead embrace it and live as normally as possible. Also what would define "special needs"? Some parents refer to their children with ADHD as special needs, other view dyslexia as a special need so do you have those children in the same category as someone say with Down's Syndrome or some other physical "special needs"? It can be tricky when you think about it.

We have in the past donated crowns, sashes, and trophies to a program called Queen for a Day that takes place in many children's hospitals where the children can dress up and be the queen with the makeup and crowns that they can keep like what someone mentioned doing with St. Jude's. I don't know if there is a website to go to about it though, we just heard through word of mouth and the hospitals.

Mellieb

Mellieb

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 17, 2009 @ 11:31 PM

Queen For a Day, a Non-Profit Orginization

texaslynn

texaslynn

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2009 @ 2:21 AM

Halia looked like a young Priscilla Presley to me. Very pretty girl.

Also, was it my imagination, or did the guy that was the host weigh 400 pounds and yet his face did not match his body? Like perhaps he had plastic surgery to suck out the fat from his face to make it look normal sized, but the rest of him remained very large? Weird.

Can we just stop now with the swimsuit part of the pageant? I'll even negotiate and allow the little ones (under 5) to wear a cutesy suit and carry a little pail and shovel, but 9 years old in full makeup and stripper hair prancing around in a bikini and fake tan is ten kinds of wrong anywhere on Earth.

WhineandCheez

WhineandCheez

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2009 @ 11:28 AM

That one girl, Rose, was wearing a very skimpy bikini, and she couldn't have been older than 10. In what universe is that appropriate?

I, too, was appalled! She was wearing a junior dept. string bikini, it loked so tiny, and it had no ruffles, and bows that the other kid's suits always have. It was kind of jarring to see it.

Jordyn's heiffer of a Mom looked strangely young--in some angles she looked about 15.

Mykal!! I have an existential question. Does giving your son a named spelled like "Mykal" (or "Jac" or "Kevan") make your son a gay hairdresser or does your son change the spelling of his name when he becomes a gay hairdresser? Chicken or egg question. Either way, he was prettier than any kid, judge, hostess, attendee or Mom on this series.

Miranda was about the only kid on this show that could have needed a flipper and she didn't have one. She rminded me of myself--my sister kicked out my 2 front teeth at about 2 years old and for the next 5+ years I looked like Miranda.

IvySpice

IvySpice

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 10:59 AM

Of all the "reason" I've heard of putting your child in pagents Miranda's mom's was the best. Alopecia kids need all the confidence boosts they can get. Loved the "everyone's wearing a wig!" Brought tears to my eyes.

Amen to that. Miranda is just precious. Not in a good-bone-structure way, in a natural-happy-kid way. Her good disposition shines out through that toothless grin. I wouldn't change her one bit. And speaking as a judge of vocal competitions, her singing is very, very good for a first grader. That talent could potentially bring her a lot of opportunities to be on stage and feel good while people are looking at her. She's fortunate to have such a sensitive, understanding mom who is helping her deal with her illness.

I don't have much to add re: Jordyn. Mom, adding to the grind is not going to make that kid a winner. Put her in soccer or girl scouts and let her have a good time. Sheesh. It's not rocket science.

Lala173

Lala173

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 3:25 PM

I just finished watching the Cassidy episode. Her mom - Julie Blair - is most definitely the late Jenny Foster's mom. I remember the mom doing the pageants because Jenny really wanted to do them. Wow, but she sure is competitive with Cassidy. She said she threw down a crown and ran over it in the parking lot!

I just watched it last night online. Wow. I thought she was alright and that people here were overreacting, until that crown comment. Yeesh!

My question - does anyone know why Jenny wasn't mentioned in the episode at all? I don't recall hearing anything about the mom being on TV before, being a pageant mom before, her other daughter passing, etc.

dreamcoat11

dreamcoat11

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 3:27 PM

The thing I didn't get about Jordyn's mom was that she was constantly criticizing everything her daughter did, from not making enough "faces" to going too fast through her beauty walk to not practicing hard enough...and then got all annoyed at the judges and thought her daughter deserved a better title than she got! That just didn't make sense to me.

And those piercings on her face...so not flattering. I will never get that look.

nikitakitty

nikitakitty

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 3:40 PM

What killed me about Jordyn was her parents double-teaming her while the poor little six year old girl stood there and just meekly looked back and forth between them, knowing somehow that she had no chance of pleasing them no matter what she did. And her mother yelling at her to listen to HER! not her Father! And that she'd just have to practice harder and harder. It's like those parent believe the only reason Jordyn doesn't win all is because somehow Jordyn just isn't trying hard enough, working hard enough. The idea that perhaps it wasn't her day, or that someone else was better is not an option. It's Jordyn's fault!! She could be perfect if she wasn't such a screw up! She isn't working dammit! She needs to try harder dammit! And the martyr complex with that mother - "I've been up longer than you and I'm not eating today either so stop whining, you little wimp!" was just appalling. And the stretching!! And when it hurt that little girl mom just got pissed off and BOTH parents let Jordyn know just how disappointing and uncooperative she was being by whimpering in pain at the extreme stretch position. I'd like to make them do some positions...

Does anybody think that child doesn't get hit by one or both parents for failing to live up to their impossible standards and schedule when no one is around to notice it? Both mom and dad looked like very unpleasant people and if I were their tiny little daughter frankly I'd be terrified of not doing whatever they decided they wanted.

The teen years are going to be a nightmare, and well-deserved. What Jordyn really needs is several brothers and sisters to get her parents excruciating attention off of herself. They have way too much time on their hands with to torture her.

Edited by nikitakitty, Oct 19, 2009 @ 3:42 PM.

lemurgrl

lemurgrl

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 4:20 PM

Yes Mykel is an AMAZING h/m artist! I HIGHLY reccommend him! He is the ONLY h/m artist we use anymore (unless he cant make it) He is usually $300...but sometimes if there are alot of catagories he is $350...but NORMALLY he is $300.

Am I reading that right? $300 DOLLARS?!? For ONE prostitot? And how many can he fit into his schedule per pageant? Jesus, I've missed my calling in life. All I have to do is set my makeup gun somewhere between "Tammy Faye Bakker" and "straight-up whore," arm myself with a good teasing comb and enough AquaNet to eradicate the ozone layer, and I'm set for life!

Oh, and... FREE JORDYN! And the "A" that should be in her name!

shibori

shibori

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2009 @ 10:08 PM

Also, TLC needs to fire whoever has been captioning these things lately. Halia's name was entered as Julia, and I've seen so many errors these last few episodes. Also Miranda was written as Raunda

To be fair, you'd have to be the valedictorian of captioning college and dyslexic to caption the names in this show "correctly."

I hope this doesn't come across as segregationist or discriminatory, but has anyone ever put together a pageant for special needs kids -- kind of like Special Olympics but a pageant?

Frankly, I suspect the judges would just need to do a 180 with their chairs and they'd be ready to go with that one.

I can understand why Jordyn's mom was afraid she's ugly- she looks just like her mama.

WhineandCheez

WhineandCheez

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2009 @ 8:15 AM

And those piercings on her face...so not flattering. I will never get that look.

She had piercings on that moon face? Where? Wow, another reason to dislike her, good!

QAF Rocks

QAF Rocks

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2009 @ 1:25 PM

Hee, last week's episode made The Soup.

Shake It, Baby

WhineandCheez

WhineandCheez

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2009 @ 10:20 PM

Dear Lord, these Mothers are INSANE. Charlie's Mom, Charlie didn't win, not because of a scoring mishap, but because she looks like a monkey. Alyssa didn't win because she is picture of her Mother. The little one that did win reminded me of Emily Tye--she really had "it." Yeah, her Mom freaked out about the other Mom coaching her off stage but hell, I would have too!

Poor Alyssa is going to be seriously f'd up, poor thing. She has bad genes for obesity and attractiveness, is being forced to DIET AT 8, and has super fat family members shoving trans fat junk food at her behind her Mom's back, probably passive-aggressively. And she proclaimed herself a loser in front of a national TV audience--twice. Couldn't CPS or a foster home do any better here?

Edited by WhineandCheez, Oct 21, 2009 @ 10:33 PM.

Twixson1

Twixson1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 21, 2009 @ 10:44 PM

Charlie's mom lost me when she started barking at the announcer, over and over, "It's not CAR-ley! It's not CAR-ley!" Was it a slip of the tongue? Sure. But at least have the humility to know that you don't win by barking at the people who are judging you. In that sense maybe this pageant actually taught a real life lesson.

Second WhineandCheez that I groaned at Alyssa's dietary habits. She's being shown yo-yoing extremes - "You can only eat fruit and vegetables for a week!" "Eat Pringles and M&Ms!" She'll have no foundation for creating some kind of nutritious balance.

Little blonde winner, whose name escapes me, seemed cute. I actually would have been annoyed at the coaching her offstage thing too, since they deduct points for that. Oh yes, I just said that. And I also know, off the top of my head, that you lose points for not looking at the judges. So. Wrong. TLC.

IluvNads

IluvNads

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 21, 2009 @ 11:18 PM

Was Alyssa's mom pregnant? I thought her belly looked more pregnant than gut-like, but I can never tell with these mothers.

freddy37

freddy37

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 21, 2009 @ 11:30 PM

Triple set of crazy moms tonight - what more could I ask for!

1) Oven roasted over stuffed turkey mom. Yeah tell your kid to go on a diet when you are 100 lbs overweight yourself.
2) Spaztastic easily freaked out mom. Bonus - married to spineless "I let my child run the house, isn't she so cute?" dad
3) Shrill nauseating blunt mom who has no problem telling you exactly why her bratty precious should have won - it was a conspiracy obviously - I have never seen a child less interested in doing pageants.

Great way to end the season thanks!

Edited by freddy37, Oct 21, 2009 @ 11:33 PM.

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 12:32 AM

Was Alyssa's mom pregnant? I thought her belly looked more pregnant than gut-like, but I can never tell with these mothers.

Yea she is/was

djuna

djuna

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 12:35 AM

Oh, I've been waiting all season for Diet Pageant Mom so I could hate her. I knew there had to be one coming at some point. That poor kid. Yes, clearly, when you are a growing eight-year-old child, you need to worry about . . . outgrowing your clothing.

Mellieb

Mellieb

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 1:29 AM

Charlie's mother needs to be smacked upside the head. Your little "diva" didn't win because she's a spoiled little monster who looked way overly coached and made some seriously freaky-looking faces onstage. She needs to enter Charlie in the sour grapes pagent for all the whining and snide comments she was making.

Samantha was adorable and I loved the relationship between her and her daddy. I also appreciated the fact that her mom fussed at big brother for not clapping for everyone.

To Alyssa's mom: Those cheesy gold-colored plastic heels are NOT elegant nor are they appropriate for an 8-year-old to wear with a bathing suit unless she is tromping around the house playing dress-up. Also, encouraging your child to be like you when you are a great big ol hot mess is not a good thing.

dmmetler

dmmetler

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 7:43 AM

What does it say about pageant routines that a child can do moves that she's never done in that routine, and still win?

I think I'd be annoyed at someone coaching my child, too, simply because that IS going to confuse a 4 yr old-she's not going to be able to block that out. I think that's more 'sabotage' than "help".

Charlie--I know you wanted a girl to show off, but you've created a complete brat. I'm not sure if the child really is physically unattractive, or if it was just the way her personality came off, but I didn't find her at all appealing. Oh, and I don't think Charlie would have had nearly the "I lost" response if mom hadn't reacted so strongly. At 4, the toy in the hand is worth two in the store-and I suspect the same applies to little crowns vs big crowns. If mom had made a big deal about "You won! Look at your pretty crown!" like some of the other parents have done with low finishes, maybe Charlie wouldn't be so messed up!

Alyssa-mom, you're not a pageant coach. You're also pretty obviously not a diet guru. You're screwing up your daughter, who only wants to please you. And 8 yr olds grow. They're SUPPOSED to outgrow clothes!

WhineandCheez

WhineandCheez

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:19 AM

And 8 yr olds grow. They're SUPPOSED to outgrow clothes!

YES!! And I was worried about her in the swimsuit category but she looked fine. Mom, STFU--if you dont want to pay for a $1200 gown, then don't, but don't expect the kid to be able to wear it for 10 years. I used to always buy my daughter's clothes one size to big, every single thing she had (not shoes).

Yea she is/was

Yes, but that didn't account for her hamhock arms. And she had terrible sun damage on her face. Arizona living gone bad.

Bonus - married to spineless "I let my child run the house, isn't she so cute?" dad

Yeah, but that makeup session was adorable. I'll bet that gave some ideas to big Gay Pageant Dad!

Now I'm off to send in my check for the Mom's pagaent--LARGE SIZE DIVISION!! Did anyone else catch that? From what we've seen so far, that Mother's divison would have the most competiton.

Edited by WhineandCheez, Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:20 AM.

Kat Schwartz

Kat Schwartz

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:30 AM

I can't believe a major pageant would have ONE person doing hair and makeup! I wonder if you could opt out and just do your own daughter in the same room so they'd know you weren't using an "unauthorized" professional.

I think we've seen the ultimate in "it's all about me" behavior from Alyssa's mom. I suppose it's the only pageant she'll ever win, EVER, so she has to milk it at the expense of her daughter's win forever. I wish everyone would realize there's a happy medium between nothing but fruits and veggies, and Oreos and Pringles. It's called "food." You cook it. On a stove. You don't have to roll down the driver's window and open a bag to get sustenance, people.

I'd be pissed if someone was coaching my daughter to turn around a shake her ass, too. I doubt that was part of the original routine. I loved her interaction with her dad and how he went to classes with her. I can't even remember her name, so it probably was something normal, too. I'm glad she won.

TVjunky

TVjunky

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 9:12 AM

Second WhineandCheez that I groaned at Alyssa's dietary habits. She's being shown yo-yoing extremes - "You can only eat fruit and vegetables for a week!" "Eat Pringles and M&Ms!" She'll have no foundation for creating some kind of nutritious balance.

I wish everyone would realize there's a happy medium between nothing but fruits and veggies, and Oreos and Pringles. It's called "food." You cook it. On a stove. You don't have to roll down the driver's window and open a bag to get sustenance, people.

Word. I was appalled at the extremes! Only fruit vs Only junk food. How about a sustained balanced nutrition? I just can tell that while criticizing Alyssa's weight, her Mom is all "I'm pregnant and therefore I eat for two", nevermind that the second person you're eating for is a tiny baby with a stomach the size of a pea."

Charlie's mother was just as bad. She is crazy, pushing her child like this. But what scared me the most was the way she just laughed when Charlie said things to her that were way out of line. If I had told my mom to "Be quiet" at her age, I would've been punished so fast my crown would still be spinning.

The mom coaching kids offstage was out of line. Was she the same person who told Alyssa to take off her shoes?

And I agree that one hair and make-up artist for the whole pageant is LUDICROUS. And why make such a rule, anyway? It makes no sense to me.

TLC definitely saved the best (or worst) for last.

IvySpice

IvySpice

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 9:36 AM

And I agree that one hair and make-up artist for the whole pageant is LUDICROUS. And why make such a rule, anyway?

If they had provided enough staff to primp everyone on time, I would think it was a sensible rule. It means that no one is going to win due to the fanciest/most expensive stylist. It puts them on the same footing. This pageant was actually providing some services in exchange for the entry fee.

The mom coaching kids offstage was out of line. Was she the same person who told Alyssa to take off her shoes?

I wondered about that! If I were Samantha's mom, I'd be furious about the interference, regardless of how Samantha placed. I don't give a hoot about winning or losing; if my kid were in a talent show or school play, and some random stranger was distracting her DURING THE PERFORMANCE, confusing the child and messing her up...heads would roll.

that didn't account for her hamhock arms

Yeah, Alyssa's mom was pregnant AND fat. How dare she judge Alyssa for growing and try to put her on some insane diet? What a psycho.

I have never seen a child less interested in doing pageants.

No lie. Charlie wasn't just bratty, she was angry. During the photo session, she was resisting every step of the way, even refusing to smile. When a 4-year-old gets to dress up in pretty costumes and still won't smile, there's a problem.

Samantha's dad was precious. He was not only having fun playing with his little girl, he had a great sense of humor about his wife's stress and drama. I thought they were pretty well-balanced as a couple.

SleepyJean

SleepyJean

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 10:27 AM

If they had provided enough staff to primp everyone on time, I would think it was a sensible rule. It means that no one is going to win due to the fanciest/most expensive stylist. It puts them on the same footing. This pageant was actually providing some services in exchange for the entry fee.

Yeah, but I bet there was an extra fee for it! Mandating that the contestants use YOUR hair and makeup person? What a racket! THat woman didn't even do a good job on those kids. Most of the hair was sub par. Makes me think the H&M "artist" was someone's sister or daughter, fresh out of beauty school.

These pageants aren't about talent or natural beauty. They're about how much $$$ you spend on H&M, costumes, flippers, and so forth. I hope the H&M thing doesn't catch on. If these pageants go communist and insist that everyone have the same thing - same H&M, same coach, same vendors for costume, tanning, fake hair and teeth - this show wouldn't be fun any more.

RaeleeBlue

RaeleeBlue

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 11:51 AM

Tiny little point, but I was a bit disturbed to see Alyssa riding a horse without a helmet.

I've broken some very random bones getting tossed off of horses, the skull is always an option. I know helmets are usually not as strongly mandated in western vs. english riding, but kids need helmets regardless of the kind of saddles. (If an adult wants to risk scrambling their own brains, however, I believe that's their right!)

retiredonsofa

retiredonsofa

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 2:49 PM

My favorite part of last night's show was Samantha. Just goes to show ya, you can't buy what she had! She wasn't more talented, better dressed or more gracefull than any of the girls; she was just naturally adorable.

Trojangirldance

Trojangirldance

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 5:35 PM

The h/m person was the daughter of the director LOL.

Dumbpants

Dumbpants

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 6:07 PM

Oh, Lord. First, Charlie's mom needs to stop spending money on pageants and buy some furniture and decorations for her home. That place did not look like a family actually lived here. A folding chair and part of a sectional couch does not make a living room. I'll bet all of her credit cards are maxed out.

Alyssa's mom may have been preggers, but she is a certified fatty. You can even tell by the way that she talks that being fat is her thing because there's kind of a mush mouth thing that goes on with people her size.

I loved how Alyssa was told that she was going to be on a fruit diet. Fruit, not veggies. Just fruit. Does that mean all of the fruit that contains sugars? Don't get me wrong... I love me some fruit. But I'll be that she was eating only the worst kind of fruit to eat (with my personal favorites pineapple and grapes being at the top of that list). Agreed that she is sending some fucked up mixed messages to that poor child.

sleekandchic

sleekandchic

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 6:31 PM

Charlie's Mom, Charlie didn't win, not because of a scoring mishap, but because she looks like a monkey.

Come on. I strenuously object to that description of Charlie. She was an average-looking child, with inappropriate hairpieces, inappropriate makeup, inappropriate swimwear, and marginal, questionable "talent." I thought when we first saw her at home, taking lessons in a real gym with a real instructor, that there was hope for her. But the "routine" she performed at the pageant was just more silliness and booty-shaking, holding-the-leg-in-the-air (barely) theatrics to impress the addled judges.

Obviously, Charlie's mom is wound way too tight. And, yes, Charlie is spoiled because she expects that all attention in the family is always on her. Her three brothers, all cute and well-behaved boys, are afterthoughts. But spoiled brats are not born; they're made. And Charlie's mom, for all her impatience and barking, has communicated to Charlie that everything is all about her, all the time.

This episode, in general, was an accurate microcosm of the child pageants we've seen on this show and others like it. Obese, unhappy, unattractive mothers pushing their daughters to be all that the mothers themselves realize they can never be. Somewhat well-meaning, but clueless, dads, reveling in their daughters' alleged physical attractiveness, perhaps remembering their own thinner wives 20 years ago or, more like it, seeing a representation of a feminine ideal that they themselves could never date or marry. These dads, like the moms, are mostly unattractive. They're either below-average height, or paunchy, or barely understandable when they speak. Men who did not have a choice of dating the hot girls in school. These are men who settled. Now, when they see the promise of their own flesh and blood as sex symbols of the future, these dads think they've hit some kind of jackpot. The dads and the moms seem to think that hotness and beauty will somehow reflect back on them.

Then we have the judging panel that just happens to include a grandmother of one of the contestants. Not the first time that's happened on this show. And I laughed when the director interviewed that this had just "come to her attention." BS. If we're seeing this when the pageants know they're being filmed for a tv show, I'd imagine this cheating is something that goes on 95 percent of the time.

The pregnant, obese mother with the sun-damaged complexion was a gigantic piece of work. When she said she won the Plus-Size competition of some mother/daughter pageant, I was caught up short. First, whose idea was it to have a Fat Mama portion of a pageant? Second, if SHE won, what did the other contestants look like? Horrors. Her little girl was very plain looking, even with all the inappropriate hair and makeup. She is a mini-mom, so, I guess, they better get as much pageantry out of her before she reaches puberty and all is lost.

The littlest child-contestant was cute enough. But her mom and dad are investing too much emotional capital in that child. There won't be a happy ending once she's old enough to say no to pageants.

I hate these pageants. Look at all the money spent. All the emotions mishandled. All the encouragement misdirected by parents toward their children. The amoral-values of looking good through extreme artifice, shaking your booty and blowing provocative kisses, giving those knowing winks....what in god's name does that ready the children for in their young adult lives to come? The beauty-pageant culture is so so wrong. YMMV and JMHO.

Edited by sleekandchic, Oct 22, 2009 @ 6:38 PM.