Toddlers & Tiaras

• Please log in to reply

12750 replies to this topic

JuneCsEvilTwin

JuneCsEvilTwin

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2009 @ 11:22 PM

Interesting that the pageant in this episode was open to both glitz and natural. I guess because it was a new pageant - director said it was their first year - they left it up to the parents whether they wanted to do the makeup/tanning/hairpiece/custom dress thing. And Story, the "glitz" girl, was originally crowned the 5- (or were they 6?) year-old winner, but a review of the scoring revealed they screwed up and that Kayleigh, a "natural" contestant, was the actual winner.

Call me weird, but I love Story's name -- it's different without being bizarre. But as for her pageant look, ugh! The makeup, the hair and especially the pasted-on smile just creeped me out, even more than it would have if she were in Universal Royalty where everyone was glitzed up. She really stood out among so many "natural" contestants, and not in a good way. I was having flashbacks to Thumper What's-her-name from that A&E kid pageant special -- a real live Tammy Faye action figure. Natural Kayleigh was so much cuter -- and I loved her dress, but I'm a sucker for poofy long skirts.

Poor little Marleigh (the 2-year-old). She did *not* want to be there, and I didn't see any indication in the prep scenes that she was the least bit interested in competing or even knew what a pageant was. And fake tans and makeup on a 5-year-old are bad enough, but on a 2-year-old? ::shudder::

At least Miss Georgia Spirit doesn't have any pro-am ... yet.

ETA: I stand by my earlier post where I said the swimsuit competition has no business in a kiddie pageant. I wouldn't have a problem if beach ensembles (swimsuit, sun hat, sunglasses, flip-flops) were allowed in the sportswear or casual wear competition alongside tennis dresses and plain old play clothes, but a dedicated swimsuit competition for little ones? Sorry, no. The only reason to wear a bathing suit when one isn't at the beach or pool is to show off skin, and wee ones should *not* be going there.

Edited by JuneCsEvilTwin, Feb 3, 2009 @ 11:57 PM.

jade76

jade76

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2009 @ 11:36 PM

Call me weird, but I love Story's name -- it's different without being bizarre. But as for her pageant look, ugh! The makeup, the hair and especially the pasted-on smile just creeped me out, even more than it would have if she were in Universal Royalty where everyone was glitzed up

My fiancee walked in the room while she was on and asked if I was watching the Bride of Chucky.

Edited by jade76, Feb 3, 2009 @ 11:37 PM.

doublebungalow

doublebungalow

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 3, 2009 @ 11:50 PM

Story's arms seemed shorter than they should be for her height or was it because of her enlarged head with all the additional curls that made her arms appear out of proportion to the rest of her body? I am not wanting to be mean here, but I think her arms were too short for her body, in contrast to other children of that height.

Edited by doublebungalow, Feb 3, 2009 @ 11:50 PM.

LilDancinMachine

LilDancinMachine

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 12:00 AM

Kayleigh was absolutely precious! And I thought her dress was very pretty.

And Marleigh's mom is a mess. If your little girl likes being on stage for a minute, put her in dance classes. It'd be a lot less work and shorter days, while still letting her show off every once in a while.

formergr

formergr

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 12:00 AM

Kayleigh was adorable! Both in looks and personality-- she seemed like a really neat kid. Story seemed far more bratty to me, and it makes sense when you compare their families. While Story's dad seemed okay, if he really was concerned about whether it was healthy for a 5 year old to be dressed as an adult, as he said, then he should put his foot down.

I LOVE how Story and Marleigh's mom had pageant "helpers". Near as I could tell, these seemed to be no more than the equivalent of the dog handlers that some owners at dog shows have. Because it's just too much work to do the pageant prep yourself (even though at least one of them said they are doing this as a bonding activity to spend time with their daughter), you need to hire someone to help you.

Was Kayleigh being raised by her mom and aunt together, or was the aunt just along for the pageant? There didn't seem to be a dad in the picture, though I think I saw Kayleigh's grandfather shown at one point. And that entire family looks very similar to each other, including mom, aunt, Kayleigh's brother, and sister--they are all very fair complected, blond hair, and rounder faces and figures. Kayleigh is definitely the odd one out!

ETA: Marleigh's mother is one messed up woman! Seriously- both of them were miserable, and she was just not going to back down and let Marleigh sit this one out. Even when they were practicing in the yard outside, a couple of times her mother yanked her by one arm when Marleigh was trying to get away. You know, because she enjoys all the pageant stuff so much!

Edited by formergr, Feb 4, 2009 @ 12:02 AM.

sleekandchic

sleekandchic

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 12:36 AM

First, Miss Georgia Spirit needs to decide which type of pageant it wants to be. Either natural or glitz, but it can't be both. It's not fair to the girls who compete (not that pageants are ever "fair," but that's another story). I wondered who would win the big prize and when 5-year-old glitzy-Story was crowned, I thought, hmm, for all the talk of the judges preferring the natural look, there ya go. Hypocrisy at work. But then we saw the disappointed pageant directors and the supposed miscalculations and the big announcement of the "wrong" girl being crowned. It was obvious the directors did NOT want a glitz-girl to win. So there's an innate unfairness right off the bat. Very strange and off-putting.

Another male judge! The director introduced him as "a local businessman." Come on. Why is he there really? Who is he? Is he a major contributor/backer? If so, why? I don't like the idea of some random "businessman" scoring young girls.

Like last week's show, this episode had some High Comedy, much of it unintentional. Marleigh! Her ex-beauty queen Pageant Mom said all the right things, didn't she? According to mother, the day when Marleigh, her two year old, tells her mom she's finished with pageants and no longer wants to compete will be the day they stop competing! Done! Suuuuure, it will.

The editors did a great job juxtaposing Mom's words with Marleigh's meltdowns. Marleigh was overtired and stressed. She's TWO! She cried and fussed and gave her mother some good strong smacks right on the chest. Well Mom, don't you think Marleigh was telling you something right then and there? Like, let's go home? In the end, Mom's own stubbornness was all for naught because the child placed only as a second runner-up. Mom's face dropped down the floor at that announcement. If only I believed her when she said she should have gone to the football game with her husband instead of the pageant, I'd feel all's well that ends well. But she'll be back. Marleigh is a hostage to Mom's fractured dreams.

Judging from Ava last week and Marleigh this week, the 2-year-old category should be abolished. Let the infant category (up to 12 months) stand for all those unattractive, obese moms to have the thrill of parading those innocents in front of strangers for "best eyes"; "best smile"; "best poopy diaper," etc. Then, jump to age 6 and above. The years between one and six are crucial in forming a child's character and personality anyway. Just forget that age group, pageant directors. Of course, I'd like children's pageants to be outlawed completely, but this would be a start.

Kaleigh was a highly-intelligent, lovely little six-year-old girl. I'm hopeful that her intelligence and her interest in other more satisfying hobbies will cause her to tell her mom and aunt that she is no longer interested in beauty contests. While I applaud mom and the aunt for keeping Kaleigh in the natural category, it was painfully obvious that the women were living their fantasies through the child. Mom was unattractive of face and Auntie was obese.

However, I will say, they seemed low-key and about as well-balanced as any of these pageant mothers have ever been. What I liked VERY much was their willingness to listen to Kaleigh. Very very unusual in this pageant life. But when the child felt uncomfortable in her crinolines, mom and auntie allowed her to remove the slips. Shockingly sensitive to their child, and they deserve congratulations for that. Now just keep it up and stop the insanity! Gymnastics and music lessons will look better on Kaleigh's application to Columbia. ;)

Story's parents and coach were not as totally obnoxious as so many others that we've seen, but did you get a glance at her room at home? There were hundreds of sashes and trophies. Leave the child alone, let her be a little girl. All the tanning and hairpieces, makeup, enough is enough. And, again, it's so much more the mother's dream than it is the child's true interest.

Story-Dad seemed level-headed and refreshingly aware of the foolishness of pageants for children. But I'm sick of men who give up all input and autonomy to shut up their wives and let them "have their fun." I believe that mothers and fathers must have equal say in their children's welfare, especially when one parent has grave doubts about the other parent's choices. It's beyond selfish to ignore your own better judgment in some kind of quest to "keep the peace" with your wife. And all that focus on one child skews the dynamics of the entire family. The older brother (6 or 7, I guess) was a harsh taskmaster in his "scoring" Story's rehearsal. Lots going on under the surface there.

I will give Story's mother props for refusing to tell the child of the scoring mistake that took away her first-place crown. That's smart parenting. Not like Ava's GayPageantDad! "Now I have to tell my little girl it just wasn't her day," said he the idiot. However, I find it impossible to believe that Story's mom and the child did not watch this show tonight, so it's unlikely that the mom kept her resolve not to spill the beans.

I noticed that even the little girls who competed as natural, still did a little hip wiggle here and a winky-wink there. All this sexualization of children by their own parents: sick and twisted, and it must stop. I think pageants are physically, emotionally and mentally harmful to young children. Don't talk to me about gaining stage presence and ease in front of an audience. IMHO, those goals are red herrings.

The crowned beauty queen who acted as mistress of ceremonies was some kind of teen queen, right? Did I understand that right? She looked awfully old for a teen. More like mid to late 20s. Participating in that pageant life year after year must be hard work. Leads to wrinkles and ages a girl fast. Are you listening Pageant Parents? Wrinkles; premature aging. I'm speaking your language!

Edited by sleekandchic, Feb 4, 2009 @ 2:51 AM.

Sugarwater

Sugarwater

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 2:15 AM

I wonder how the show decided which families to follow?

They followed the state title winners to see if they would also win at Nationals.
The only one who didn't was Ava, but she still has her state title, so at least Daddy
has that crown to wear around the house.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 5:35 AM

I hated Story's name. If it's a noun, I don't want to hear it as a name. I wouldn't name my child Story any sooner than I would name my dog Chair, but that's just me.

I agree that if her dad has such "concerns" about his toddler daughter being paraded around in adult makeup and such, then he should put his foot down and say no, that is not appropriate. If Story's mom was spackling her son in full face make up or dressing their dog up as a fairy princess and parading it around at the grocery store, how long would it take dad to tell her to knock it off? Maybe those are too similar along the lines of wifey saying, "I need to dress something up," but what I'm trying to say is that if he really feels that strongly about it, then he needs to man up and say so as this is HIS child too.

The judge near the end expressed exactly what I felt about Story: she was well trained and that was about it. Or as well trained as a kid that age can be. Her awkward arm swinging and hip swaying while walking made me think that either she had to pee (and simultaneously had a splinter somewhere) or that she was trying too hard to imitate Raquel Welch and Molly Shannon on Seinfeld. If her mom keeps her in those glitz pageants, she'll do fine. She already looks like one of those dead-eyed mannequins onstage. It's too bad because she looks like a normal cute kid in real life.

Although I want to believe that Story's mom didn't tell her what happened with the scoring to spare her daughter's feelings, I have a sneaking suspicions it's because mom just wanted to keep the crown, trophy, and sash.

Poor little Marleigh. She was a normal cranky 2 year old who needed a nap, and instead of getting one she was being poked and prodded and stuffed into costumes all day. Even though her mom said she would stop as soon as Marleigh said she didn't want to do pageants anymore, what does she think a baby crying, "Noooooooooooooo, momma!" mean? And nice try at saving face with her claim at the end of the show that she wished she had gone to the football game with her husband instead. The way she phrased it (something about how she'd rather have fun with her husband any day) was such a load of crap. You knew when the pageant was and you knew it would be a madhouse, but you still chose to go so just admit that you want everyone to tell you that you have the prettiest baby because it makes YOU feel better. Gawd.

I was laughing SO hard at the end when Kayleigh won because i remembered what one of the other moms had said at the very beginning of the show about how you can't expect to just waltz in without any training and win a pageant. Apparently, you can let a little girl pick out her own dress (which cost less than the $800 dress that your husband thinks is too expensive) and not hire a pageant coach to tell her how to twitch her butt at the judges.

Why were some of the girls in private little dressing rooms getting ready? Let me guess - this too can be yours for a small fee!

Another male judge! The director introduced him as "a local businessman." Come on. Why is he there really? Who is he? Is he a major contributor/backer? If so, why? I don't like the idea of some random "businessman" scoring young girls.

I loved how they described the other judges as being involved in "pageantry" but then they got down to "and a local businessman." As soon as they said that, I thought hello Skeevy McSkeeverson! Also funny was the way they said they brought the second judge back to pageantry. Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in!

Pattypoundcake

Pattypoundcake

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 6:55 AM

I also noticed all the -leighs...I was surprised Story wasn't Storeigh. Mommeighs apparently don't use superfluous "y's" anymore. This is just as bad though!

WhineandCheez

WhineandCheez

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 8:45 AM

I don't like the idea of some random "businessman" scoring young girls.

I know you didn't write this line with this intention, but that sounds all wrong!!

I'm really liking the format of showing a different pageant in each episode

Say it isn't so!!!!! I was looking forward to following the antics of Big Gay Pagaent Dad from state to state. Drat!! I was anticipating watching him buy out the trimmings aisle at Jo Anne Fabrics week by week.

Even though her mom said she would stop as soon as Marleigh said she didn't want to do pageants anymore, what does she think a baby crying, "Noooooooooooooo, momma!"

A pageant show without a Mom saying this is like a day without sunshine. This is the party line

jackiecarr

jackiecarr

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 9:17 AM

The editors did a great job juxtaposing Mom's words with Marleigh's meltdowns. Marleigh was overtired and stressed. She's TWO! She cried and fussed and gave her mother some good strong smacks right on the chest.

And to the face, LOL! Free Marleigh! Ugh, her mom was a wellspring of barely contained bitterness. And it was weird how she said I would have gone to the football game with my husband. What about we would have gone, or would she have just dropped Marleigh off at a sitter for the day to avoid the hassle?

Kayleigh was a lovely little girl, I could see her as a child model or actress.

Story's formal attire was way too "grown" for a five year old when combined with the hair and makeup. Not cool.

Trojangirldance

Trojangirldance

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 9:42 AM

Usually when a pageant allows both Natural and Glitz, it will be taken by a glitz girl. They use the natural hook to lure in more people to get their money with no chances of winning. Once you've done them awhile you learn to really check into one and if you are a natural competitor you don't go to glitz and vice versa. One way to tell is look at past winners. If they welcome natural but all the winners are glitz that is a major clue. Of course when you have new pageants/directors they do what they can to get the most people to enter thus making more money for themselves.

missdavenport

missdavenport

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 9:58 AM

Story's formal attire was way too "grown" for a five year old when combined with the hair and makeup. Not cool.

Oh, I thought the exact same thing. I sincerely thought she looked like Tammy Wynette.

I liked what Kayleigh's aunt said about the make-up. "She doesn't need it, and we don't want her to grow up too fast." I have a ten year old daughter and I couldn't agree more!

shibori

shibori

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 10:10 AM

Her awkward arm swinging and hip swaying while walking made me think that either she had to pee (and simultaneously had a splinter somewhere) or that she was trying too hard to imitate Raquel Welch and Molly Shannon on Seinfeld.

That was on purpose. That's the classic pro-am walk. It's also incredibly difficult and unnatural to do- just try it! The pro-am walk has you swinging your arm on the same side as your forward leg, instead of the normal way people walk, which is the opposite arm from your forward leg. I've only seen it employed one time outside the context of a pageant, to hilarious effect.

the sour bee

the sour bee

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 10:46 AM

I thought it was sort of funny how Kayleigh's famileigh caved on the crinoline thing, but did anyone notice at the outdoor 'new' crowning, she clearly had the same dress on, but this time it was poofed out!

Guess taking the kid's feelings into consideration was a limited time offer!

tonkacat

tonkacat

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 11:15 AM

So many "leighs" in this episode! Marleigh smacks of "let's take a boys name and make it a girl's by changing the spelling."

This is common here in Georgia. I've seen little girls named Ashleigh and every other combination you can think of. Did anyone notice the speech patterns? No Ruby speak here. I do agree, Marleigh was hitting her mom over the head with "I don't want to do this". Get a clue mom.

I'm glad Kayleigh won.

RoadTrip

RoadTrip

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 11:20 AM

That's the classic pro-am walk. It's also incredibly difficult and unnatural to do- just try it! The pro-am walk has you swinging your arm on the same side as your forward leg, instead of the normal way people walk, which is the opposite arm from your forward leg.

Well it looks creepy as hell! And who got together and decided that that "pout and nod" move was cute?

kidjealous

kidjealous

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 11:29 AM

Is it just me, or once they get the makeup and hair done, do all these girls look the same?
Especially the blondes!

wideright

wideright

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 12:40 PM

I was also confused by the family relationships and Kayleigh. At first I thought they were going to say that she had two moms.

GoodyGoody

GoodyGoody

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 1:34 PM

I thought it was sort of funny how Kayleigh's famileigh caved on the crinoline thing, but did anyone notice at the outdoor 'new' crowning, she clearly had the same dress on, but this time it was poofed out!

Guess taking the kid's feelings into consideration was a limited time offer!

Maybe Kayleighleeyyy decided that day that the crinoline wasn't so bad after all.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 1:57 PM

Even though her mom said she would stop as soon as Marleigh said she didn't want to do pageants anymore, what does she think a baby crying, "Noooooooooooooo, momma!" mean?

Mom said that she would stop if Marleigh said, "Mommy I don't want to do pageants anymore." I wouldn't be surprised if Marleigh had to say that exact sentence verbatim before Mom will stop and Marleigh just hasn't figured out the right combination of words yet. It's like a secret code or a magic spell.

Whatever Honey

Whatever Honey

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 2:00 PM

Marleigh's mom was delusional. Notice how she decided she'd take Marleigh out on stage instead of letting the handler do it because she wanted more tv time. It's all about her, not about her daughter. Everthing was we, "we've been working really hard". I know she's been working hard, trying to make herself believe that her daughter really loves it. I don't think she should've even placed. Just because she can jump around once you've drug her out onto the stage doesn't mean she's a star in the making. And she just loves to tan? Looked to me like she was trying to jump through the mirror to get away from it.

Kayleigh was cute but I didn't notice that much sparkle to her personality when she was on stage. Backstage definitely!

Story? A dime a dozen. I'm really surprised she didn't win. I guess the pageant directors wanted to really look legit by not being a glitz pageant right off the bat. Of course we didn't see all the winners. Were there older girls there too?

Misnomar

Misnomar

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 3:17 PM

Mom said that she would stop if Marleigh said, "Mommy I don't want to do pageants anymore." I wouldn't be surprised if Marleigh had to say that exact sentence verbatim before Mom will stop and Marleigh just hasn't figured out the right combination of words yet. It's like a secret code or a magic spell.

Bwah! I think you're right, though. A child shrieking "Noooooooo!" when someone attempts to drag her onstage is a pretty clear indication that the child doesn't want to go onstage.

Story's "smile" is one of the saddest and most disturbing things I have ever seen on TLC.

hathorlive

hathorlive

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 4:10 PM

Oh, I thought the exact same thing. I sincerely thought she looked like Tammy Wynette.

Thank god someone else thought this too. All she needed was a rhinestone studded George Jones at her side. Actually, that's not a suggestion, to all the pageant people out there. I feel sorry for all those older/younger brothers who get put in the boy's competition because they happen to be there.

The sad thing about these pageants is that they deny girls something to look forward to. Where is the excitement about proms and weddings when you've been wearing $800.00 dresses since you were 5? Where's the excitement about putting on lip gloss for the first time when you've been wearing lipstick since you were 2? It's just sad and creepy.

I also have to comment about the pervy vibes these pageants send out. I do the examinations of computers for criminal cases of child exploitation. You'd be surprised at the number of suspects that collect pageant pictures (along with child "modeling" pictures and recital pictures). The parents might not see anything sexual about dressing a little girl up in sequins and slathering make up on them, but the perverts out there do!

SkateLady

SkateLady

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 4:31 PM

I also noticed all the -leighs...I was surprised Story wasn't Storeigh. Mommeighs apparently don't use superfluous "y's" anymore. This is just as bad though!

Oh yes they DO use y's.

This is part of the First Law of Thermodynamics - errr, Name-o-dynamics - otherwise known as "Conservation of Y's"

All y's that are replaced in one name must be inserted into another name, so as to maintain a constant quantity of y's in the universe.

Thus, Marleigh, Kayleigh, & Kimberleigh have spawned Karyn, Jordyn, and Landyn.

jackiecarr

jackiecarr

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 4:37 PM

You'd be surprised at the number of suspects that collect pageant pictures (along with child "modeling" pictures and recital pictures).

Yikes! I stumbled on one of the child "modeling" sites a few months back and cyber-ran away as fast as my fingers could carry me. I wonder if it's the same brand of defensive parents, even though the pageant parents aren't really profiting off their kids?

hathorlive

hathorlive

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 4:42 PM

Check out the bad list of baby names:

Baby's named a bad, bad thing

It tackles the "Y" syndrome, as well as picking a baby name in the top ten most popular list and then insisting on spelling it in some whacked out fashion to make it "different". I say we'll have a lot of kids in belltowers with high power rifles in the next ten years. And they'll all be screaming "I hate madysyyyynnn".

Of course when people hear my niece's name they always ask me if my sister is a stripper. Snark!

Yikes! I stumbled on one of the child "modeling" sites a few months back and cyber-ran away as fast as my fingers could carry me. I wonder if it's the same brand of defensive parents, even though the pageant parents aren't really profiting off their kids?

I'm not sure I understand the modeling thing. Most of these pictures are just soft core porn, with little kids in thongs that gap and the like. I can't see how you'd see these pictures as anything that they are. But I'm sure you have parents saying that it's all in good fun and you have a dirty mind for thinking that way. The pageant parents really don't see that the theme seems to be saying that over made up and skimpy clothes = winners.

I just find it all discomforting, especially in light of what I see on a weekly basis.

Edited by hathorlive, Feb 4, 2009 @ 4:45 PM.

Trojangirldance

Trojangirldance

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 5:18 PM

There is still something extremely special about that prom dress I promise. LittleTrojan had an 800.00 pageant dress for a pageant (that was used quite a few times) and I still have it LOL. But when we went last year for the prom dress, it was awesome! It was the whole Cinderella moment. And, we've used it for pageants too, to get the money out of it. Also a lot of folks rent dresses nowadays as opposed to outright buying them.

RoadTrip

RoadTrip

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 5:29 PM

Of course when people hear my niece's name they always ask me if my sister is a stripper

ha! Remember that one pageant show where the sister of one of the contestants was named Treasure. Good lawd, what was her mom thinking?

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 5:36 PM

The sad thing about these pageants is that they deny girls something to look forward to. Where is the excitement about proms and weddings when you've been wearing $800.00 dresses since you were 5? Where's the excitement about putting on lip gloss for the first time when you've been wearing lipstick since you were 2? It's just sad and creepy.

They can always look forward to having babies. That's just about the one grown-up thing they DON'T do in these pageants.

I just noticed another thing that shows how arbitrary pageant "rules" are. In the special the tall-ish African-American girl with two moms (I can't remember if she was 6 or 9 years old) wore a floor-length dress for the formal wear segment. Cut to a judge saying that she thought girls shouldn't wear floor length dresses until they are 11. In the pageant in this episode, all the 6-year-olds except one were in floor-length dresses, including the winner. It must be hard when the standards change from one pageant to the next.