Toddlers & Tiaras

• Please log in to reply

12750 replies to this topic

weenerdog

weenerdog

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

"Git it, Girl" just means to go out there and shine and show your attitude and be "on" so to speak, and also to hit your marks and make eye contact with the judges, imho

Auntie Anxiety

Auntie Anxiety

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

It's your duty to watch this show! I do my part -- I watch faithfully every week, while wearing my crown and sash.

I make my dog wear her crown and sash as well.
And she was none too happy about the previews for next week.

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

can somebody please explain to me how one becomes a pageant judge? where do they come from? do they get paid? how come there are so many of them because i never see a same judge on different pageants?

Way back, mid 90's, I was living in a small west Texas town. Sunburst Pageants were coming to the mall. Don't know why they didn't just go to the local Ramada, but who cares. I had just started selling Mary Kay (that went nowhere real fast) and my recruiter said they needed 3 girls who sell and look nice to be judges and asked me to be one. I knew nothing about pageants. They didn't even brief us. So of course I pick the cutest ones who looked natural, looks like their mom handmade their basic, cotton dresses. I thought the glitz girls were hideous. We wrote down our scores and handed them to the director. The winner was called, we were shocked. After some verbal communication between us 3 judges, nobody had voted for "the winner". Now I know why they made us use pencil. No pay, just a Saturday at the mall I'll never get back.

I haven't seen the newest one with Kiley. I'm on the basic cable plan and have to wait for YouTube. I just saw the one with Jacy, Bridgette the bug killer and Daisey Mae. Daisey's face! I want to take her home and just cuddle the girl. So sweet.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

"Git it, Girl" just means to go out there and shine and show your attitude and be "on" so to speak, and also to hit your marks and make eye contact with the judges, imho

I thought "Git it girl!" was a compliment, like drag queens yelling "WORK!!!" at each other when they're posing, lip synching, etc. My mom tells me to get it girl if I get a raise at work, for instance!

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 7:41 AM

Any activity that declares a winner based on judging will always be subjective. Look at the Olympics, the holy grail of competition - lots of judging scandals there, even just judging disagreements, with viewers not seeing what the judges see.

Assuming pageant judging is on the up-and-up (and I'm not sure this one was, with the changed scores and unsigned sheets), it's still difficult. If there are 12 girls in a category, the judges don't want to give the first ones super high scores even if they're fantastic, because what if the other 10 are even better? There's no room for higher marks if you've used them all up on the first competitors. That happens in the Olympics too (I'm thinking mainly about figure skating), which is why the newbies go first and the big names often skate near the end.

Of course, if a mom has said to the camera that her daughter will lost points for not doing pretty feet and then doesn't get Nacho Supreme, why is she suprised?

Glitz pageants are so weird anyway. I understand Wow Wear (or whatever they call it) because it requires some imagination and creativity and often involves something the child is interested in. But cupcake dresses are just stupid and those frilly socks went out of style for little girls in 1990. Not to mention the ridiculous big hair. Why are glitz pageants stuck in a time warp?

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

Glitz pageants are so weird anyway. I understand Wow Wear (or whatever they call it) because it requires some imagination and creativity and often involves something the child is interested in. But cupcake dresses are just stupid and those frilly socks went out of style for little girls in 1990. Not to mention the ridiculous big hair. Why are glitz pageants stuck in a time warp?

I totally agree. I don't think I've ever seen on I like. And it seems they all have blue ones. Don't get me started on wearing the choker too.

getalife

getalife

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 5:53 AM

If the judges aren't being paid off by TLC, I wonder why the featured girls usually win so often, regardless of merit.

Exactly. I don't believe for a minute that the pageants we see on t&t are somehow not fixed. I have watched the show religiously since day 1 and can count the number of featured girls who didn't win a high title on one hand. The judges may not be paid off, but they are definitely made aware of who is being followed by the show and swayed that way - we saw it with the "Rumble in the Jungle" pageant when Heather Ryan, the pageant director, was conversing with the judges and making it clear which girls she liked. Even now we see it, with the little segment where the girls are being discussed by the judges. It is so obvious that they know who is being followed.

Trojangirldance

Trojangirldance

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

There are a couple of reasons the featured girls win the big title on the show: 1)when most normal pageant people--not the famewhore, my child is going to be a star, whacko moms--find out the show is filming they will NOT attend the pageant so you have less competition. 2)These are not national level pageants being shown, these are not even state pageants. These "top dogs" are going to prelim pageants with a vast majority of "newbies" therefore securing themselves a win. They don't win on national level. Eden Wood wasn't even a huge winner on the national level except for with Annette. Alaska wins mini-nationals which don't have near the competition nor is the competition as top notch. None of these girls are Leslie Butlers, Thumper Gosneys, or Lauren Yees.

The judge question--it all depends on the system. Some judges are parents of past or outgoing queens, former queens, current queens in other systems, coaches, etc. Annette has been known to just pull people off the street, hotel staff, she doesn't care because she fixes her scores anyway. It all depends on the type of system. Festival pageants (pageant with girls even babies who win a local community title and attend events during the year as a representative of the community) get judges who typically judge those types of pageants, former queens, other directors of festival pageants. Miss America local pageants must use MAO certified judges. Glitz pageants it just depends on whether the director is decent or not and wants to get real judges who know pageant stuff or just grab a warm body.

Joymarie

Joymarie

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

Exactly. I don't believe for a minute that the pageants we see on t&t are somehow not fixed. I have watched the show religiously since day 1 and can count the number of featured girls who didn't win a high title on one hand.

I think there's a certain amount of fix in for the featured girls at least partly because they are responsible for bringing publicity to these cheesy little pageants. We've also seen pageants where they claim that the judges are somehow related business-wise to the pageant director or involved in the "industry" so naturally it's going to be a benefit to them to be on T&T and bring them publicity.

I totally agree. I don't think I've ever seen on I like. And it seems they all have blue ones. Don't get me started on wearing the choker too.

I agree. I find it shocking that people think these dresses are pretty. To me they're crimes against good taste. One of the ones that I hated the least was on a little I think two-year old featured girl that was a lovely sapphire blue and white. It really stood out among the sea of Pepto Bismol pink and other pukey pastels. But when the girl didn't do well, the mom asked the judges why she was marked down. The judge said they didn't like the color of the dress because they felt it was too dark for such a young girl. So no matter how hard the little girl practiced and how well she hit her marks and made eye contact, the judge didn't like the color of her dress, so no crown for her.

I have to disagree on the Wow Wear. If the goal is to make the judges go WOW, what does that even mean? If the outfit is kind of plain but the little girl wows with her gymnastic or dance moves, is that better or worse than a boring routine and a Wow-inducing outfit? It pretty much makes it completely subjective and open to favoritism.

Fdubbleyou

Fdubbleyou

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:47 AM

I think Kylie is a good example of pageants not always mixing with 'real' modeling. Kylie walked the stage like she probably walked a runway, she worked that stage like a professional model, hence the lack of 'pretty feet' - she simply forgot she needed to do a 'different' kind of modeling

I thought Kylie's modeling looked better than crappy pretty feet anyway

carolinagirl63

carolinagirl63

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

Huffington Post had an article Twins about the next show which features a mother spending lots of money on her twins in pageants. The twins' names are Alycesaundra and Giavanna.

Edited by carolinagirl63, May 8, 2012 @ 8:01 PM.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

I hope she's exaggerating for the camera. I can not imagine wasting that much money to get some cheap tiaras and false sense of pride in my kids.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

We've seen Alycesaundra before right? As a background, in passing child. There can't be 2 with that name right?

carolinagirl63

carolinagirl63

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

We've seen Alycesaundra before right? As a background, in passing child.

I think so. I think somebody commented on the name in this thread. I guess it's pronounced Alexandra?

lovetovolunteer

lovetovolunteer

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:51 PM

I am confused. I thought the pageants were judging on "Facial beauty" not outfit color! Not giving a child a crown because you hate the dress color is just dumb. But I agree some of these 'Cupcake" dresses are ugly. I find it funny how many prime time shows have been making fun of pageants. CSI Miami did an episode a few months back on pageants. The child was kidnapped and the mother was asked to give a photo of her kid to the cops and she gives them a pageant photo. The cop say 'Ma'am. This is NOT your daughter. This is a made up doll. I need an actual photo of your kid!" and a few weeks ago on a disney channel show they made fun of pageants.

HowlingHills

HowlingHills

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:54 PM

We've seen more than one Allyssaundra or however they spell it! A few seasons ago we got a glimpse of a baby Alyssaundra that won grand supreme, and then this season we had the 9 year old alyssaundra in the storybook pageant, she was the one who's mom put her in the HUGE ball gown.

Edited to add - we also got a glimpse of a "Giavanna" - I'm pretty sure it was in the Southern Majestic pageant that featured chelsea, victoria, and Ariana - they showed her in a pirate outfit an she was about 2'ish, again not sure if that was the same Giavanna. I think this lady was also the one who was the 'handler' for Aniston in the Aniston/Teeghan episode.

How bad is it that I remember all this?

Edited by HowlingHills, May 9, 2012 @ 12:02 AM.

KimbaleeJade

KimbaleeJade

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:01 AM

Body guards? This this lady serious?

MomByProxy

MomByProxy

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

No, she is flat out lying. I have NEVER personally seen her at a pageant (and we travel the circuit pretty heavily). Not to mention, her kids are 4. Mine are all teens and we have been competing for years and have still not even come close to that grossly exaggerated number. She doesn't need body guards, nobody even knows who her kids are.

A grossly inexperienced pageant mom who makes a lot of purchasing mistakes her first year might spend in the neighborhood of 20k.

I can tell you that for my youngest DD, with the costs of a new wardrobe (she has outgrown everything), pageant fees, hotel fees, travel expenses, H/M, tanning, flipper, et.al..... we MIGHT spend 10K this year on her, and the majority of that is the pageant fees and travel expenses themselves.

getalife

getalife

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 5:04 PM

I agree with MomByProxy...I'm calling bullshit on all of it! The shot they showed of all the pageant dresses couldn't have been dresses for those girls - they were too long! And as far as the "bodyguard" goes - um, I'm sorry and I certainly do not want to offend anyone, but I'd bet that he's their "slow" cousin or something. He certainly does not seem to have much on the ball. Why do people tell such ridiculous lies?

HowlingHills

HowlingHills

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

That bodyguard did seem a little 'slow' to my eye too. If you have netflix you can get a look at younger Alessaundra and Giavana by looking at season 1 ep 15 I believe - Southern Majestic pageants - I rewatched and th at's definitely th e same mom and dad. There are shots of Alessaundra in beauty, swimsuit, and western wear, and shows Giavanna in some pirate outfit that I guess is outfit of choice. Neither were especially stunning as 2 year olds IMO.

Does it now seem to be a contest as to who can claim to have spent the most? First everybody was shocked at Mickie Woods' 60K number in season 1, then they brought in mom of the Seabiscuit twins who claimed to have spent 250K, so now we have to top that with the 500K claim? Although a custom bus would be a big chunk of that! Maybe she's figuring in all the expenses for the girls in their lifetimes LOL - the bills from birthing etc - because that was an 'investment' she had to make to get her pageant girls!

Edited to add - here's a link to full episode on Youtube that shows some shots of the twins at about age 2 or so....

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Xvz9GUHaKhE

Edited by HowlingHills, May 9, 2012 @ 6:11 PM.

Spooneroonie

Spooneroonie

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

Wait, isn't there another family that has a trailer with the kids' faces on it, or am I mis-remembering? All of these kids seem to blend together after awhile.

Griet

Griet

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

The parents of the twins were on Monster in Laws on AE.

ashlynne

ashlynne

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

I've never been angry when watching this show until tonight. I've thought parents were morons, mean, bad sportsmen . . . but for some reason tonight it just hit me with the twins' mom. Truly haneous and clearly a liar.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:02 PM

There is no way Buster lives with Kali's family full time. Maybe he belongs to grandma or a neighbour but he wasn't her dog. Ummm, what is the point of the silver smile? Bad dental work? Mom said she had it too.

Dad really wasn' t on the ball with the lamb. He was still holding the Eat More Chicken sign. And great pet life, bringing the wrong lamb. What was their context on Monster in Law? And the "bodyguard" was so the "special" cousin

I enjoyed Karlie. Sh wanted to be there and she did very well.

Stupid staging. Winter wonderland background with giant exotic stuffed animals. What dod that have to do with pets?

doublebungalow2

doublebungalow2

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

"Eat More Chicken sign" -- I thought it said Chiken but I must have read it incorrectly

getalife

getalife

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

The mother of the twins was and idiot and a bitch. I would normally never condone a spouse hitting another spouse but with the way she was talking to and about her husband on national television she was asking for it. I would have cheered.

I was confused as to which twin was supposed to be the good kid and who was the brat. I thought that Giavanna was the prettier of the two but I think mom favoured the other one.

Mom showcased her stupidity right away with her comment: "They are fraternal twins, but even so, their personalities couldn't be any different". Um....if they were IDENTICAL twins you would expect similar personalities, but fraternal twins are two genetically different people. There were be no reason to expect fraternal twins to have the same personalities, no more so than any other two siblings. Like I said, mom was an idiot. And I'm sorry, but that $8,000 dress (which is bullshit) was the ugliest thing I've seen on this show - and that's saying a lot. I loved it when the bus broke down...so classic!

Mom reminded me a lot of Jamie Sterling, with her clearly favouring one child over the other. She even referred to the one as "the other one" in one segment.

I am glad that Kali won beauty supreme as it shows that the judges were able to see beyond her silver teeth, but unless this was a natural pageant, she really should not have received that title. She is going to be a beautiful girl when she gets older, but my heart broke to see those teeth. I liked her mom, though; she seemed genuinely proud of her daughter and supportive without being pushy. Kali had great stage presence and a sweet personality.

I also liked Karley. She was a good competitor and seemed like a fairly nice kid. It was nice to see an episode without any insults being hurled between competitors and/or parents.

asuwur

asuwur

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

I have no words for Tiara Twinzilla Mom. The rage I felt as she referred to the less favored child as "the other one" with a dismissive sneer cannot be described. I've seen pushy, obnoxious and hateful displays of parenting on this show...but this was among the worst.

My daughter said it best tonight, "Oh, NOW I know why God hasn't been answering my prayers. All these pagent moms praying for Ultimate (Nacho) Supreme have been clogging the lines!"

Karlie and Kaly were adorable with great energy and enthusiasm. I totally thought of Shirley Temple with Karlie. I hate to break it to Kaly's mom but most people don't love a "silver smile"; they think "baby bottle rot". That said, her mom was positive and has her child doing things she loves to do.

Edited by asuwur, May 9, 2012 @ 10:15 PM.

ashlynne

ashlynne

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

Back to the twins' mom. She seriously just said "Alycesaundra will probably win a higher title than the other one." Seriously? "The OTHER ONE." You mean than Giovanna, your other daughter who also has a name? What a bitch

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

I hope that Kelly is putting the money she's getting from her Tiara Twins aside for their future therapy. I've never seen anyone so focused on one twin at the expense of the other - some of her comments about their relative performances and usefulness were downright shocking. Pick one twin to have a cuddly little lamb as her "pet" and give the other a tom turkey bigger than she is, and then scold and coerce the 4 year old who wants a lamb, too? And anyone who proudly says she thinks her children are meant to be substitutes for the dress-up dolls she didn't have as a girl is, well, I just have no words.

speac

speac

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

I thought Giovanna was treated just marginally better than Buster the dog.