Toddlers & Tiaras

• Please log in to reply

12750 replies to this topic

lemurgrl

lemurgrl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 29, 2010 @ 9:18 PM

When she was helping her to get ready, Brandi's mom mentioned something about not having a grandchild. I have to wonder if Brandi isn't able to have children, which would certainly explain why she went on Prozac and may explain her behavior.

I would think (hope) that if Brandi was unable to have children then her mother wouldn't even bring the subject up, especially on tv. I thought she sounded more like one of those mothers who constantly nag their children about making them a grandmother.

In the comments left by (allegedly) Brandi on the article linked a few posts above:

I do pageants because I love them and my mom enjoys them alot. Dont let her fool you. I cant have children, I wish I could. I would love to adopt one, one day.

That makes me sad that, as you said, Brandi's mom would comment on it, if this is indeed the case.

estermax

estermax

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 29, 2010 @ 10:57 PM

Those comments are from Brandi. She and I actually had quite a lengthy conversation via Facebook. She commented on pictures, on my wall, and messaged me. It seems that when she found out that I was not a troll that she then saw me as an OK person. Those comments are all hers plus the others are her friends. After she found my post, she put up a wall post on Facebook calling on her minions to leave comments on my blog. It was kind of crazy.

Selma04

Selma04

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 6:24 AM

What's crazy is that this wackjob has minions. They're probably all six -- or, you know, twelve-year olds claiming to be six so they can compete against six-year olds for mini Supreme royalty taco.

Girlsrule

Girlsrule

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 6:27 AM

Those blog comments are pathetic, particularly the grammar and spelling.

If only those women would take the ten thousand + they spend on pageants and put it towards something useful, like an education. Wouldn't the US be a grander place with more educated people, rather than shallow, wasteful and indulgent people like Brandi and all the spraytanning, fake eyelashing mothers of T&T?

kccody

kccody

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 6:35 AM

Estermax- Just read through your whole blog and the comments. HILIARIOUS!!!! Are you sure that is really Brandi Tutor-Brown? WOW! I want to hate on her, but she seems too pathetic.

WhineandCheez

WhineandCheez

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 8:07 AM

brandi brown says:
June 28, 2010 at 10:35 amJessica, what is your last name. I want you off my facebook page please. Just unfriend me on there and leave me alone. I dont want you to be a part of my life in anyway.

Absolutely hysterical. Prime shit! Hey I think we all need to end every single post with the offer to pray for each other. It's amazing how these ladies can make prayer sound so sinister.

This comment is belated, but you know, I think Eden Wood looks like a 55 year old woman in a 5 year old body. She always reminds me of a Waffle House waitress who calls you "Hon" (no offense to the good hardworking waitresses out there)

Edited by WhineandCheez, Jun 30, 2010 @ 8:07 AM.

JCVinEden

JCVinEden

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 8:18 AM

I just watched America's Best Pagent on tlc.com, and there were actually several older women in evening gowns standing in the audience next to Brandi. I wonder what that was all about? Maybe she wasn't the only weirdo.

And I couldn't help it....That little kid falling off the stage? Funniest thing I've seen in a long time. Even in context, with him looking all dejected afterwards. I'm going to hell. But kadooz to the camraman who caught that.

estermax

estermax

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 8:36 AM

Brandi is actually a pretty nice person. She's just into something that most people don't do. I don't think she was prepared for the show nor understood the impact that it would have.

JCVinEden: Now, I might get this wrong, but from everything I've learned it seems like to compete for Mrs. (Mrs. Tennessee) you have to do all of these small pageants. I think it works the same way for Miss and Ms. So there were other women competing (5 in all), but the show mainly focused on her.

JCVinEden

JCVinEden

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 9:01 AM

but the show mainly focused on her

estermax, but was there another category besides 10+, or were the other older women competing in the 10+ category and the show just didn't focus on them? Because to only focus on Brandi makes her seem like a loon. (Well, a lot of things make her seem like a loon, but you get what I mean.)

Wondra

Wondra

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 10:16 AM

Now, I might get this wrong, but from everything I've learned it seems like to compete for Mrs. (Mrs. Tennessee) you have to do all of these small pageants. I think it works the same way for Miss and Ms. So there were other women competing (5 in all), but the show mainly focused on her.

Your post made me curious, so I went to the Mrs. Tennessee website and competing/winning in smaller pageants is not a requirement for entrance into that competition. Now, it may be that Brandi enters smaller pageants for practice, but it is not a requirement for the Mrs. TN pageant.

I cannot say that I blame Brandi for competing against children as much as I blame the pageant directors (and their love of entrance fee revenues) for choosing not to have an age appropriate cut-off so that grown women are not pitted against pre-teen girls.

I'd feel the same way if 30 something men were allowed to try out for Little League baseball.

Reality Chaser

Reality Chaser

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 11:33 AM

Now, it may be that Brandi enters smaller pageants for practice, but it is not a requirement for the Mrs. TN pageant.

Not only do you need no experience to compete in the state Mrs. pageant, but they give you a local title for the state competition in return for your $600 pageant fee! For example, if you live or work in Nashville, you're automatically bestowed as Mrs. Nashville for the state competition. If the city where you live or work has been taken by a competitor who registered before you, you can ask for the title of your county, where your husband works, where you grew up, or similar. Must be pretty cool to buy a city or county title like that!

http://www.mrstennes...HowtoEnter.html

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 11:57 AM

It would really cost $900 to buy the Mrs. Nashville title. $600 to enter the pageant and each contestant is required to sell at least $300 in program ads. But...they send you a sash to wear!

A google search led me to the Mrs. California pageant, which will be next week not far from me. So tempting...

Edited by camom, Jun 30, 2010 @ 12:01 PM.

Reality Chaser

Reality Chaser

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 12:40 PM

D'oh, I missed the ad sales. $150 for a full-page ad in the program? What the circulation number on this program-- all 20 people who show up at the pageant??

Looks like there's a Mrs. Nashville and also a Mrs. Music City. WTF? Music City IS Nashville. There's also a Mrs. Davidson County, which is where Nashville is located. What is the organizational hierarchy here, anyway? If Mrs. Davidson County and Mrs. Nashville want to buy the same dentures, I mean, flippers, who wins?

http://www.mrstennes...ontestants.html

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 3:13 PM

NOTE:

Please get back on topic. If it wasn't on Toddlers and Tiaras, it isn't on topic. I understand the connection, but the conversation has drifted too far.

IvySpice

IvySpice

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 3:37 PM

I don't think she was prepared for the show nor understood the impact that it would have.

That may be, but I don't think it makes her look any better. This is the third season of the show. She had plenty of time to research the fact that this is a TLC carnival side show, aired for comedy purposes, not a serious documentary. If she's surprised by our reaction, she's a fool.

By the way, thank you Jesus for finally putting this superb episode on the TLC web site! The devil had prevented my TiVo from taping it, but you know, prayer works! Someone should really tell the people in Haiti.

Ladle

Ladle

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 8:20 PM

I'm watching the Sterling girls episode for the first time, and I am *appalled*. I can only hope the father saw this on TV and yanked his kids out of pageants immediately, but I feel like they've been mentioned on the boards more recently, which leads me to fear they're still out there competing. Add poor neglected twin Ashlynn to the list of the kids from this show I want to adopt.

esearcher

esearcher

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 9:12 PM

if I recall correctly, (1) they were holding hands in a circle, and (2) the close of the prayer was a simple "Amen." Neither of those things are Mormon.

The beginning with "Heavenly Father" and multiple references in addition to the prayer (where god, like "I hope god does xyz" would otherwise be used). I know "Heavenly Father" is not uniquely mormon, but as a standard rather than an alternate name, that is uniquely Mormon. The ending of the prayers "in the name of jesus christ..." isn't uniquely mormon either, but it is standard. So combined with the emphasis on "we don't drink, do drugs or smoke" plus the liberal use of heavenly father AND the ending of the prayer and the fact there is an unusually high prevalence of anti-depressants in the LDS community (Even though they are not Utah Mormons, Utah usually ranks number one for states with highest anti-depressant use) it seemed Mormon to me. Not that there is anything wrong with being Mormon, or that all are crazy or even most are crazy, or even some. It was just something I was pointing out. Just like you often see people comment that the youngest Jonas brother looks Jewish. There's nothing wrong with looking that way, and he isn't, it's just sort of a reaction when assessing people.

That said, I do now believe it was evangelical or something of the sort, rather than mormon, based on other people's input.

It's not like some church official "grants" an official exemption. It's individual choice.

I don't think it's a choice or exemption so much as an issue with the garments and clothing that will show the garments (think undershirt and knee length boxers). That would certainly make (non-duggar) swimwear or evening wear a little difficult.

foucault makes an excellent point (or hints at it anyhow). Is there some possibility that Chloe is not in fact six? She sure didn't look like a six year old. I'm put in mind of those child athletes who are held back by their parents so they can compete with smaller kids. Is Chloe the Danny Almonte of pageants? (Danny Almonte's Little League coach falsified the kid's birth certificate so that he would be playing against kids younger and therefore smaller than him and this fact was turned up by a private investigator of all things, making me think that the world of Little League is more cutthroat than I would have ever guessed.)

That was my EXACT thought watching her. However, she seemed mature even for a 9 year old, so I'm not sure how the mom gets away with that. I guess big poppa just turns a blind eye when judging as long as there's liberal booty shaking!

Going back to the esp. with Sabrina. I would really like to see her get her own show. Since most of the contestants are well seasoned and experienced, It would be interesting to see how her daughter progresses in each contest.

I agree! I would LOOOOOOOOVE for her to get her own show. Possibly something like a pageant/showbiz/elite sports parent boot camp where she teaches them to unclench and "luxuriate" through the process and just enjoy watching her kids perform or do something they like.

Edited by esearcher, Jun 30, 2010 @ 9:13 PM.

Havnfun

Havnfun

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 9:26 PM

Oh my goodness... the judge tonight was named Lisa Fulgham. That's the woman who ran off with the pageant winnings. She has some nerve!!

Tommysgrl

Tommysgrl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 9:31 PM

Keep Lisa F. away from the cash box!!

Rear Window

Rear Window

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 9:53 PM

Liana's mom is reminding me of the mom in Carrie. She's super creepy with the super low, monotone voice. I get the feeling there's some punishment closet in their house.

JennB

JennB

Stalker

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 10:04 PM

Did Kylie's mom say she won a color printer? I'm guessing someone had one lying around and donated it as a prize, because that's just weird.

No train wrecks tonight. That's also weird.

I loved that Keanna's mom was happy that Keanna was having fun. She needs to go around to other pageant moms and spread that good cheer.

Rubinia

Rubinia

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 10:04 PM

I kinda loved the Michael Jackson routine. And WTF at Lisa Fulgham being there? Her wig was bootleg, BTW.

Also, speaking of creepy...that little girl dressed as Madonna, complete with cone bra?!

I thought we weren't supposed to post while the show was airing?

Edited by Rubinia, Jun 30, 2010 @ 10:10 PM.

dmmetler

dmmetler

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 10:08 PM

I'm wondering, since Liana has supposedly competed for 8 years, if she's competed in the local, county-fair type low-glitz pageants. She's a beautiful little girl, and I could see her doing well in more natural pageants. I suspect that the fact that she WAS so strikingly attractive worked against her-as Mykel commented, he was distracted by her hair-presumably because it (gasp) moved! I also really liked her outfits, but they weren't glitz-level.

I don't think Liana needs a coach to know what to do. She did fine. But to compete at that level, she probably needs the network so the fix is in.

Kylie is cute now, but will be a nightmare in a few years, unless someone sets some limits. Although if she's doing actual modeling, I suspect that will tend to rein in the "It's all about me" tendencies some. Pageants may be all about you, but print modeling is all about the clothes.

Keanna is doomed. Her family will be paying money to Miss Margie for years to come.

Uh, was that really a Madonna outfit, complete with pointy boobs, on a 3 YR OLD!???!!! Some of the other "doll" costumes were a bit scary, but I think that one took the cake.

ellenphant

ellenphant

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 10:08 PM

did anyone else genuinely feel sad for liana? i did. she did seem like a very well mannered little girl - but her mom is setting her up to fail by those thrift shop outfits. they looked like they were from the 80's. i was impressed by her poise, confidence and stage presence given that she's not had any professional training. it looks like she pretty much just learns it herself.

loved keanna and her family. her mom seemed genuinely sweet. I don't often like the "outcome" of hair and makeup, but she looked gorgeous! stood out completely from the other girls. she was a sweetie.

i have to second kylie being handful, but definitely amazing for a 3 year old. she does genuinely seem to enjoy what she was doing and really shined on stage. she was adorable. very mature too - we've seen some crazy melt downs with excuses - "she's only 3." ~ she was a day and night difference between that makenzie girl we saw a couple weeks back (that was 3 or 4?).

happymom1

happymom1

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 10:09 PM

Wasn't Lisa Fulgham the director who absconded with the cash a few weeks ago? It would be interesting to know if these shows are chronological.

I really liked the moms and kids in this week's episode (although it made for kind of a boring one!) Kylie is extremely articulate for a three year old, and very well-adjusted, I thought. Keyanna was sweet and I thought her mom was great, and the family support was really nice to see. I was also impressed that her mom sat and watched the pageant like a normal person instead of coaching her in all of her routines. Liana's mom seemed to be a bit too normal to be in the pageant world. I really liked her comment about how they don't "hoot and holler". Liana seems to be a bit out of her league in glitz pageants, though.

cargirl86

cargirl86

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 10:10 PM

Liana's mom is reminding me of the mom in Carrie. She's super creepy with the super low, monotone voice. I get the feeling there's some punishment closet in their house.

That's exactly what I thought. I was expecting pigs blood at any moment.

I didn't want to, but I ended up really liking Kylie and her mom. They both seemed to really enjoy the entire pageant process, which is highly unusual to see on this show.

Galloways Cave

Galloways Cave

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 10:17 PM

Also, speaking of creepy...that little girl dressed as Madonna, complete with cone bra?!

And did you see her grab those cones just as they cut away from her? That is seriously wrong. It was seriously wrong when a 32 year old woman did it.

Liana's mom seemed like she was drugged or something. In fact, the entire family seemed out of it. I can understand not making a scene or yelling, but a little cheerful clapping and one little "whoo-hoo" wouldn't hurt. It was a little sad the brother just kind of flashed the sign briefly at her.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 10:20 PM

I don't get the whole Michael Jackson thing so I just shake my head with all the routines about him.

I wonder what came first, the doll or the routines?

Liana's mom, the agents probably aren't getting back to you because you are sending pageant pictures, send in some basic snaps and you'll probably get further.

Mia wasn't the prettiest of children. (where is that bus stop to hell these days?)

So, they give out these hula bears to kids pulling out but when we get to the Grand Ultimate Super Duper Extra Special Bestest Ever there are still several kids who haven't gotten anything either in their division or one of the lead ups?

My family aren't great cheerers but if someone is in something cheer-worthy we would make the effort.

Edited by millk, Jun 30, 2010 @ 10:22 PM.

Dumbpants

Dumbpants

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 10:25 PM

did anyone else genuinely feel sad for liana? i did. she did seem like a very well mannered little girl - but her mom is setting her up to fail by those thrift shop outfits

ME! I felt so bad for that little girl because her mother is such a controlling weirdo. I guarantee that Liana is never allowed to make any decision by herself whether it be what to eat in a restaurant or what color of socks to wear in the morning. I bet that Liana goes along with everything out of an intense fear of what the consequences would be if she doesn't conform. I am a teacher, and I've seen children like her before. Honest to goodness... think of the mom in Carrie (okay, obviously not to THAT level, but you get the idea). They are always so messed up psychologically that I, as a teacher, have to approach children like her on a completely different level. And honestly? It is extremely difficult to "break" those children and really get them to be free and happy.

And Madonna cone girl.... I just paused it and she totally grabbed her cones. She couldn't have been older than 3.

Edited by Dumbpants, Jun 30, 2010 @ 10:26 PM.

rhitroadkill

rhitroadkill

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 10:25 PM

I liked Keanna and Kylie and their families (though some of Kylie's hyper moments were a bit weird) but I did not like Liana's mom and family. I liked Liana but that girl needs to be put into theater or just be told that her family loves her. She seemed like she was doing the pageants to get family approval (she just wants them to clap for goodness sakes. You don't have to scream and hoot, but at least clap!) but that mother was never going to give it. And it is one thing to save money, but Liana's mother took it to a whole new and crazy level. Sequins from a towel company that went out of business? If you don't have the money to play the pageant game, find a different game. It has to be devastating to that little girl to keep getting up and trying and never moving forward. And since the game is rigged, she is never going to win the way they are going about it.

From the treating her like the trained cat to the makeup samples that didn't include a fraction of what the other kids were using/had to the way she didn't go out to the audience to watch the way the other featured mothers did to the way that she had to search for a compliment for her daughter, Liana's mother disturbed me. I think all she managed to come up with was that Liana had long hair and that it was healthy. Which is probably better than "diva" but the way she had to think about it to find something nice to say plus all the rest...I didn't like her at all. And maybe you don't need to get the cupcake dresses, but a bedazzled prairie dress with puffed sleeves stood out like a sore thumb. The mother didn't even try to blend in with the other dresses. And I honestly don't think those girls back stage were "making friends." Scenes like that are prelude to the "check out the freak!" of high school years.

Kylie was a very self-possessed 3 year old. It was awesome to see her doing her routines without mom prompting (much) from the audience. And she really did have the moves down for her two characters. Keanna seemed like a very nice girl and I liked her mother too. She seemed like a good mom who wanted the best for her daughter. Here's hoping pageantry doesn't suck the humanity out of her and turn her into a Ma Sterling.