Late Night with Jimmy Fallon

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

2164 replies to this topic

rokmatic

rokmatic

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

I hope Jimmy & the Roots give a shout-out to the Beastie Boys tonight, but do they tape on Fridays? So sad...

Diallo Riddle mentioned on Twitter that they're paying tribute to MCA tonight--I think they're replaying the Beastie Boys's appearance on the show from back in 2009 (their last live TV performance, if I recall correctly).

I'm excited for this album. Sounds like it's going to be a mix of performances from the show, plus some new material. (And I was dying just as much as ?uestlove when Jimmy revealed the cover.)

Tonight's show should be a good one--I love Nathan Fillion, but I'm more excited about Taran Killam and Retta finally being on.

meisja

meisja

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

Diallo Riddle mentioned on Twitter that they're paying tribute to MCA tonight--I think they're replaying the Beastie Boys's appearance on the show from back in 2009 (their last live TV performance, if I recall correctly).

Thanks for posting this rokmatic.

Retta finally being on

I have such high expectations for this, please let it be as good as I'm hoping it will be TV gods! And please let the Roots put something Jean-Ralphio said to her last season into song as her walkon!!!

Babalooie

Babalooie

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:01 AM

This was one of the most enjoyable episodes ever. Fallon, Fillion, Killiam, and Retta. The singer was very good, too. Seeing Fillion makes me want to check out "Castle".

gingerhorsesnap

gingerhorsesnap

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

(And I was dying just as much as ?uestlove when Jimmy revealed the cover.)

I love it when you can hear ?uestlove's cackle.

That was a short and sweet MCA tribute. So sad.

Poor Retta, she got the short end of the stick. Hopefully she'll be on again in the future with a longer segment.

This just cemented my Taran Killam love. He was great. The video of him tripping over Bob Barker's microphone cord was priceless.

rokmatic

rokmatic

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

Poor Retta, she got the short end of the stick. Hopefully she'll be on again in the future with a longer segment.

That's one of the drawbacks of having three guests on one show. It seems like they've been doing that a lot lately--I don't know if it's because of the guests' schedules or whatnot. The third guest always gets the shaft, and it's a shame when it's an especially good/interesting guest. I hope they have her back on soon, too. Her walk-on music, however, was classic. I knew the Roots were going to pull a Ginuwine reference.

Taran's Price is Right story had me dying. Especially when they showed the clip--I can't believe he knocked that mic from Bob Barker's hands, and then gave it back to him as if it were a celestial offering!

And the MCA tribute was very sweet. I remember saying to myself that MCA looked very tired/out of it during that performance when I first saw it, and then it all made sense when he announced he had cancer a few weeks later. The fact that they performed my favorite Beastie Boys song made it all the more bittersweet.

Babalooie

Babalooie

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 5:12 PM

Has anyone noticed that Kamal Gray, the keyboard player on the right, has been missing for a few weeks? Where did he go?

stonehaven

stonehaven

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:54 AM

Beach Boys!!!!! Oh man, I loved seeing them..Yeah, They look old and sound a bit pitchy but I will take them over a lot of the bands today...Thanks Jimmy for having them on.

meisja

meisja

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:18 AM

I know almost nothing about Howard Stern, other than what I've picked up over the years when he's been on Letterman, but cheers to him for calling Jimmy out on contacting Leno for interview advice! Howard had a point about how we were all still talking about Leno/Obama's interview - hahahahaha! And it never gets old to hear someone bring up Jay's great "closet-hiding scene" back in the negotiation days... I wonder if he's right that Jimmy will inherit the position simply because he doesn't seem to view it as the end all? (not to mention that the Jay stank may have completely infiltrated the show/position by the time it roles around again...) Maybe Jay will insist the entire show be buried with him like a Chinese emperor?!

violetion

violetion

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:31 AM

but cheers to him for calling Jimmy out on contacting Leno for interview advice!

This really was fantastic. I love that the crowd cheered and clapped while he was dissing Leno. Although, the Howard Stern interview kept getting uncomfortable every time he called out the ex-Rolling Stones guitarist (I don't even know his name). He was visibly pissed off, and Jimmy was definitely eager to take the conversation in another direction.

Roseha

Roseha

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:40 AM

Stephen Colbert's appearance with Jimmy just now was great, non-stop fun. They even got into the Superpac just enough to introduce the idea for people who don't know about it.

That balloon-soccer game was okay, but I can't help but think that Stephen would be great at Password or some similar game.

Did the Roots improvise that "Ice Cream" song when Stephen came on?

Edited by Roseha, May 12, 2012 @ 12:41 AM.

gingerhorsesnap

gingerhorsesnap

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

Stephen and Jimmy together is always a delightful thing. I enjoyed the bubble soccer game, I like how it all inevitably dissolved into chaos and giggling. And hearing everyone's heaving breaths afterwards was hilarious.

makelikeatree

makelikeatree

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

Enjoyed the Willie Nelson interview the other night. I can't wait to hear "Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die" with Snoop Dogg. Heh. I wish Jimmy had more time to sit down with the more musical guests. They are usually far more interesting that most of the actors or tv personalities. Although, Jimmy and Willie missed a golden opportunity for a Ben & Jerry's ice cream off (similar to the rivalry between Willie and Jimmy's BFF Colbert). The cover of "Just Breathe" sounded lovely.

meisja

meisja

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 4:10 AM

Always enjoy perm week, especially the song - good times...! Fifty Shades of Grey is the perfect subject for some Jimmy and Higgins discussion, "thattzaaa spicey meet-a-ballla!" Are there really 3 of those books?! If so, very informative show tonight.

Nice to see ACoop on something not hosted by himself or Andy Cohen. He should stick with that, with the exception of having Jimmy on his show tomorrow of course! Anderson's show is so schizophrenic, I can't imagine what Jimmy is sandwiched between, probably elderly people who collect empty soup cans and men who have relationships with 'real dolls' - oops, that last one was actually on Tuesday's show, my bad!

Surprised to see Mayer's "Benetton heart and a f***** David Duke c***" sitting in with the Roots though!

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 3:45 PM

Fallon's appearance on Anderson Cooper was featured between the Storage Wars segment. AC embarassed JF when they played Jimmy's SNL audition tape.

Joke was on Anderson when they played a Jeopardy game where all easy questions were asked to Jimmy's team and Cooper had the obscure difficult ones.

LadyNardicus

LadyNardicus

Video Archivist

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

I love Perm week. The two so far have been hilarious. That poor girl. Her hair looked bad!! But funny.

makelikeatree

makelikeatree

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

Anderson Cooper was adorable. I missed Jimmy on his show though. Is the video available anywhere? I was also surprised to see the legendary dbag John Mayer sitting in with the Roots. He's just gross. Stone Gossard is supposed to be sitting in with the Roots tonight. Now THAT will be great.

Perm week! All of the audience members have been really good sports about the whole thing. Tthe perm on the girl looked just terrible. Bless her heart.

ETA: found some clips of Jimmy on AC's show on andersoncooper.com. Stupid me, I thought Jimmy was on AC360. I had completely forgotten about Anderson's talk show.

Edited by makelikeatree, May 24, 2012 @ 7:05 PM.

meisja

meisja

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 2:23 AM

ETA: found some clips of Jimmy on AC's show on andersoncooper.com. Stupid me, I thought Jimmy was on AC360. I had completely forgotten about Anderson's talk show.

If only I could go back to that place in time before I knew about Anderson's talk show...Take me there! In comparison to the spelling bee, Jimmy's pie-paper/rock/scissors game was really funny. I hope we see a lot more of that game, though I wonder how many women would play (it's usually the guys who play the soaking game, right - no make up...). The meeting of Jimmy's competitiveness with his fear of the roulette pie was glorious!

I was also surprised to see the legendary dbag John Mayer sitting in with the Roots. He's just gross.

He was on Watch What Happens Live! the following night (or maybe the same night and it just aired earlier and I watched them in reverse order??) with Dan Rather as the co-guest. I noted that Dan was like the perfect antidote to Mayer's douchtasticness; it was like adding an element to a lethal compound, therefore making it less toxic. In other words, it was pretty cool!

violetion

violetion

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

Just from watching various going ons on Twitter, it looks like Late Night is losing a few writers. Jeremy Bronson (who I believe is the head monologue writer), Diallo Riddle and Bashir Sallahudin all seem to be parting ways with the show. I'm gonna miss Bashir especially!

Edited by violetion, May 25, 2012 @ 9:15 AM.

meisja

meisja

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 11:17 AM

Jeremy Bronson (who I believe is the head monologue writer), Diallo Riddle and Bashir Sallahudin all seem to be parting ways with the show. I'm gonna miss Bashir especially!

Dear God NO!!!! I'm sure the other two are extremely talented, but not my Bashir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No more hoagie-eating housewife, no more Milky J, no more everything.great.he.does (especially the singing). I hate this news!

And now I'm very curious about what is happening behind the scenes, because why would so many writers be leaving? (these aren't the first, right?) I feel like a lot of late-night writers are incredibly loyal and like to stay put, and who wants to be looking for work right now? So, either they're getting seriously good offers elsewhere to maybe do their own things, or something about how LNwJF is being run is getting a lot less fun. And that makes me think of the notoriously douche-ridden NBC execs or Lorne Micheals' mysterious ways.

I don't care for this at all... (but thanks for the news violetion.

As far as last night's show: Hurrah for the return of Downton Sixbey, though it contained both Carson Daly and Whoopi "It wasn't 'rape' rape" Goldberg. And, I'm torn in my love for the ugly daughter and my hatred for the homely lothario Fred Armisen. He screwed over Elizabeth Moss, and I doubt she'll ever be back on LN, which sucks. As usual, Miles got some great dialogue, and there aren't enough The View/tortured animal jokes in the world, so I could watch his character all day. I love the addition of ?uestlove and, actually, Carson as the English-patient-type character was pretty hilarious. I love the terrible hair piece the potential "new jokeman" wears and his super-dramatic pauses and - I guess I really have to watch Downton Abbey - but I can't hear enough of Jimmy's "I hope I die heeeyyyyaaaa"(s).

I didn't get much from Will Smith's interview or performance though and I am still confused by the musical guest's album only being available at Cracker Barrel...?!?! Am I missing something?

eta: trying to figure out phonetics.

Edited by meisja, May 25, 2012 @ 11:47 AM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

Jeremy Bronson is on the writing staff of Mindy Kaling's new show & is off to LA.

rokmatic

rokmatic

Channel Surfer

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

I had a feeling Bashir and Diallo would be leaving soon, seeing as they've been doing a lot of side-projects lately. And Bronson's off to LA to work for Mindy Kaling, like braggtastic said. And no, meisja, I don't think it has anything to do with how Late Night is being run behind-the-scenes--I think it's because they're being offered opportunities to work in different, primetime (a.k.a. more money and prestige) venues. Which is not a bad thing at all--look at Morgan Murphy. She left last year to work on "2 Broke Girls," and whatever your opinions are on the show, she's got a good, well-paying job. (She actually dropped by the LNJF offices earlier this week for a visit, according to several writers/staff.) And they've all said how much fun they've had working at Late Night. It's not the end of the world when writers move on--it happens. I wish them all well.

and I am still confused by the musical guest's album only being available at Cracker Barrel...?!?!

I had no idea Cracker Barrel even offered exclusive albums... sounds similar to what Starbucks does.

LadyNardicus

LadyNardicus

Video Archivist

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 4:22 PM

Oh No. I will miss Bashir too. Hubble Got YOU!
I love Downton Sixbey.

Babalooie

Babalooie

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

Speaking of leaving the show, I still can't track down Kamal Gray. James is still up there playing keyboards by himself. Has anyone heard anything on Kamal's disappearance?

rokmatic

rokmatic

Channel Surfer

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 5:17 PM

Has anyone heard anything on Kamal's disappearance?

Not a word. He's been gone since the show returned from a hiatus back in March, and I think I remember hearing someone mention that he hasn't been showing up at Roots performances (he wasn't at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony when the group performed, for example). And yet there hasn't been any formal announcement that he's left the group, so maybe he's just on a break? I hope everything's alright with him...

Here's something really interesting to tide everyone over during the hiatus: the bloggers put together an interactive, choose-your-own-adventure type backstage tour on Youtube that goes through studio 6B and the surrounding area downstairs, as well as the production offices on the seventh floor. Very fun to watch and click through.

LadyNardicus

LadyNardicus

Video Archivist

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

The You tube tour is Awesome!

LadyNardicus

LadyNardicus

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

Jimmy is such a goof, I loved all the faces he would make during the good news bad news segment. He was cracking me up. Plus his super awesome dancing that he did while playing ladder ball with Julianne Hough. Whenever I see her I always wonder if Ryan Seacrest says "Seacrest out" after sex. Hahahhahahaha.

Edited by LadyNardicus, Jun 7, 2012 @ 2:38 PM.

violetion

violetion

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

The iPhone app segment last night was hilarious mainly because Jimmy kept breaking. His laugh is so infectious, I couldn't stop laughing along with him!

The iPhone app segment last night was hilarious mainly because Jimmy kept breaking. His laugh is so infectious, I couldn't stop laughing along with him!

Babalooie

Babalooie

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

Loved the cold open video with Carly Rae Jepson, Jimmy, and The Roots. I laughed until I cried at the YouTube comments speculating what ?uestlove was playing. The best one was someone thought that it was a d***o being played with a meat cleaver. Being an elem. music teacher, I know that he was playing a guiro, which has ridges and you use a small stick to scrape it. The ones we use at school come in a set with maracas and are painted red and green, similar to the Mexican flag, as opposed to the flesh tone one he was playing. Jimmy has some serious bags under his eyes in that video, too. That version is infectious.

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

meisja

meisja

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

That version is infectious.

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

I'm in love... Tariq looked like he was having the time of his life. Can't get enough of this!!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 11:36 AM

I missed the beginning of the show, so I don't know if there was any intro to the musical number, but I thought that was Rebecca Black from that Friday song doing her latest single. I hadn't seen Fallon's show in a while, but I like both guests so I tuned in. I was not impressed with either interview & I've yet to make it through one of his monologues without ffing. The only positive comments I can make about Friday's show are I like Jimmy's haircut & the fact that someone was playing a Fisher Price xylophone for the opening song.