Tech Issues for Handhelds

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

116 replies to this topic

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

It's not possible to increase font size in the mobile version. Could that be fixed?

Also, the mobile version automatically captures the quoted person's user name. Can that feature be added to the non-mobile (regular) version?

Editing because this is still the last post: there is a link at the bottom of every mobile version page to go to th "full" or non-mobile version, but there is no way back to the mobile version other than rebooting the device. Please make a link back. There are some features that work better in the full version (i.e., enlarging text to read long blocks of text). So it would be nice to be able to toggle back and forth without rebooting. Thanks In Advance.

Edited by shapeshifter, Jun 26, 2012 @ 12:35 AM.

sharz

sharz

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 6:56 AM

The "toggle spoiler" workaround that was given earlier in the thread has suddenly stopped working. has anyone got info on this?

Thanks in advance.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2012 @ 1:37 AM

there is a link at the bottom of every mobile version page to go to th "full" or non-mobile version, but there is no way back to the mobile version other than rebooting the device. Please make a link back. There are some features that work better in the full version (i.e., enlarging text to read long blocks of text). So it would be nice to be able to toggle back and forth without rebooting. Thanks In Advance.

In Strega's pinned post in the Forum Update thread, that is listed under things that can't be done with the new software:

We can't make these happen:

A toggle on the mobile version to switch back & forth from the full site

Hot Tomato

Hot Tomato

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 30, 2012 @ 5:33 PM

The "toggle spoiler" workaround that was given earlier in the thread has suddenly stopped working. has anyone got info on this?

Thanks in advance.

Any word on this?

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

Not an issue per se...

I use tapatalk on my iPad to check a bunch of boards. It easily handles posts and spoilers. As I understand it, connecting a site to the app is free and fully customizable. Is this something that TWoP might look at using?

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 2:43 AM

Request for a simple (I think) enhancement of the mobile version of the forums:
When a logged in user returns to thread, the page numbers of the thread should be visible and selectable like they are in the full version.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

I've read through the forum looking for a solution to this and didn't find it, so I apologize if this has been asked before:

I have a new Android phone, and I went to Google to go to the forums from my phone for the first time. When I clicked on the link that Google provided, I went to a mobile version of the forums--very clean, no headers or ads, etc. But then after I signed in, it took me to the full version of the forums. I've cleared my cookies, I'e gone back to Google to get to the link that way, and nothing--I cannot get back to the mobile version of the forums. I have been able to get to the mobile version of the homepage, but as you all know, that doesn't provide a way to get to the forums.

Help?

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

• Interests:Improv, Mojo-Kickball, Kickboxing, Cooking, Baking

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 7:02 PM

Is there a way to +1 a post in the mobile version? I can't seem to find it.

mnementh

mnementh

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 4:47 PM

I'm not sure if this is a problem with my tablet or what. When I log in and read the forums on the desktop at work or my home computer (both XP with IE compatability view) it takes me to the last read post. When I go to read threads on my Samsung tablet, it takes me to the last post I read on the tablet, which is often a ways back from where I actually am in the thread currently.

Am I doing something wrong? I basically know nothing, so I may be missing a very obvious fix here.

parisgal3

parisgal3

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 1:18 PM

I'm also having a issue getting to the mobile version of the forums on my Windows Phone. I've been able to access the mobile site on both my old Android and my Nook tablet. I have my internet settings to default to the mobile version of websites and still I only can get to the full forums. I'm disappointed, the full version is so user unfriendly on a phone.

SnarklePuss

SnarklePuss

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2013 @ 9:58 PM

I gather there's still no direct link from either the mobile site or the TWOP apps to the forums. I've been successful getting to the mobile forum site by starting with the non-mobile home page, but my problem is that I cannot sign in. Every time I attempt to sign in, and I click on SIGN IN (with my user name and password filled in), nothing happens. Then I click on it a second time, and the browser completely crashes (all open pages close and I go back to the phone's home page.) This is on a Samsung Galaxy Note II running Android 4.1.1.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 5:19 AM

I'm using a really old iPod touch 32GB (so Safari would be the browser) to keep up with the forums right now--apparently didn't get infected during the malware thing, but don't yet trust using TWoP on my laptop again, since some issues are still being reported; the iPod's old & I have others, so if it gets futzed by undiscovered malware so be it.

Anyway, I ended up going straight to the URL for the forums, to read them, 'cause whenever I tried to go to the site homepage, I got a message that the page (site homepage) couldn't be opened because of too many redirects. Does this sound like a further malware issue, or something else?

24k Kate

24k Kate

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 6:59 AM

Every time I attempt to sign in, and I click on SIGN IN (with my user name and password filled in), nothing happens. Then I click on it a second time, and the browser completely crashes (all open pages close and I go back to the phone's home page.) This is on a Samsung Galaxy Note II running Android 4.1.1.

During the worst of the great malware indecent of 2013, I encountered this exact same problem on my Galaxy note. I discovered that restarting the browser, returning to the TWOP mobile sign in page, and attempting to sign in again the browser would crash a second time. BUT, upon reopening the browser and returning to the site, I was signed in. I had to repeat this process pretty much every time I started a new session, but at least I was able to access my watched topics.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2013 @ 9:41 PM

The failure to sign in happened to me after the March 23 maintenance stand down after making one post. But a few hours later it seemed to correct itself

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 9:25 AM

I am using safari on an iPhone 4S to browse, and my "mark as read" as well as the little indicator that I have written in a thread no longer exists.

PhantomChic

PhantomChic

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 12:50 PM

Using Safari on iPhone 4, I cannot get to the full site and the content on the mobile site is several weeks old (starts with Westeros scorecard and the Good Wife recaplet titled "Damon and Elena have sex in a pickup".

vinyl

vinyl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2013 @ 2:38 AM

How can I report a post using the mobile version?

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 1:13 PM

Unfortunately vinyl, I don't think you can unless you're on the full version on your phone- I've never been able to find a way to do it on the mobile site.

vinyl

vinyl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2013 @ 8:43 PM

Thanks bparhad, that's what I thought too. But the other night, I was making a report using the full version on my iPod Touch, and after I pressed "send" I came back a minute later and saw that there was an error message on my screen, so I just reloaded the page. I then found myself on a mobile "report" page and was able to send my report that way. So I know it's there, but don't know how to get back there.

nannyogg

nannyogg

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2013 @ 2:01 PM

Have a quick question after the upgrade - previously a thread was listed with links to individual pages within the thread. So you could easily (at least somewhat - depending on thread size) go to the 1st page or last page, etc.

Now that's all gone. If you click on an unread thread you seem to always go to the first page. I'm not hitting "next page" 100 times to get to the end of the thread. The only fix I've sort of found is to mark all the threads as read - then the next time you go to it you'll end up towards the end.

Are the individual page links coming backs?

Iguana

Iguana

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2013 @ 2:14 PM

Yes I'm having the same problem. It's very frustrating that I can't go to a specific page. When I go to a forum I can't get the last page anymore. So unless I've been in that forum very recently I'm ending up Somewhere in the middle of the thread. When theres hundreds of pages in that forum I have to go through all of them to get to the most recent posts Which sucks

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless you’re a Just Tuned In, who won’t be able to use it until you’ve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted May 5, 2013 @ 3:53 PM

That's been brought up in the Upgrade thread—I think it would be best to bring all problems which have developed since the upgrade to that thread rather than spread them out, even though they would normally go here. That's why the New Technical Issues was closed, so that discussions wouldn't be duplicated. Also, if anything changes on that front, TWoP Pembleton will let us know there. Thanks.

And yes, frustrating is the word. Many of us mods access the site on phones for a quick fix, so we would like one, too.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted May 5, 2013 @ 7:55 PM

Yes, I have actually already submitted this to Tech and will let you know what I hear. Right now the focus is on making the forums stay available and stable, then we will move on to navigation issues etc. But Howard is right, let's try to consolidate all the upgrade-related issues in the Upgrade thread for now. Thank you.

RandomMe

RandomMe

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 3:36 PM

I don't know if this goes here or in the post upgrade thread, since I've never even seen the mobile version of the forums before, but I love the way it looks on my Galaxy S3! Is there a way to get a My Content button (or better yet, a Content I Follow button) in the mobile version menu? The New Content does nothing for me, since I dare to go into only a handful of the active threads, but more specific content links would be great!

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 4:21 PM

It might be better to place this question in the upgrade palooza thread.

missbonnie

missbonnie

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 8:13 PM

Since the upgrade I am no longer able to do anything on TWOP on either my Samsung Galaxy SII or my Kindle Fire 8.9 HD. It will bring up the forum and immediately freeze both devices requiring a restart.

Edited by missbonnie, May 9, 2013 @ 8:13 PM.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 9:20 PM

Thanks but yes, please post these things in the other thread. I'm going to lock this thread until we get all the problems specifically related to the upgrade worked out.