Tech Issues for Handhelds

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

116 replies to this topic

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2008 @ 8:36 PM

I think I figured out the Blackberry problem. For some reason the yellow cheese block is activated making me have to scroll down the entire list of shows to get to actual content. Every time I switch to a new page I end up scrolling for more than half the page. I'm not sure if there is anything I can do to stop this, but I'm positive it wasn't there before the new header change.

BB Pearl and MS Pocket IE

[Reported]

pickledeedee

pickledeedee

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 8:06 PM

Sorry if this has already been asked (I used the search engine to no avail) Doesn't anyone else view TWOP forums on their cell/PDA's? I have always loved reading the forums on my fav. shows and now my Sprint Vision (viewed on a Palm Centro) says "Page too big". What has changed about TWOP's formatting that has made it so large? Will they consider a TWOP mobile site?

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 8:18 PM

For me I can get it to come in, but the yellow menu block opens up, so I end up scrolling 3/4 down before I get to any actual content. This makes it not worth it for me to read on handheld. (I'm on blackberry). I believe Strega has reported this, but it's kinda low on the list of priorities right now.

Edited by Puds38, Jun 25, 2008 @ 8:18 PM.

pickledeedee

pickledeedee

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 26, 2008 @ 1:17 PM

Thanks Puds38, I can use the "clear" function to see TWOP on my PC screen without all the "stuff", was wondering if there is a way to use clear on a handheld?

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Dec 7, 2008 @ 3:41 PM

Would it be possible to have a tech thread for handhelds? Due to a now insane work/down time schedule I spend more time on blackberry than PC. Lately I have been getting script errors which I think may be popup attempts whenever I try to load a recap. I tried using the google reader for the RSS version of the recap, but can only get the first page. I don't know if the site is no longer going to be handheld friendly or I'm just doing something wrong. I also no longer seem to be able to use the format icons to bold, link, etc... A laptop would solve my problems but that won't happen til after the holidays. I'm just wondering if other handheld users are experiencing similar issues and thought a thread similar to the grease monkey scripts one might help.

Edited by Puds38, Dec 7, 2008 @ 3:43 PM.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Dec 7, 2008 @ 10:08 PM

Just checked my browser's history, there's an add at
Ad.month.doubleclick.net that keeps stalling my blackberry. I mentioned I suspected this in a post I made in the suggestions thread, after having to do the third battery pull of the day I checked my history and saw the address.

Strega

Strega

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2008 @ 2:16 AM

We're going to break this out from the general Tech Issues thread. If you're browsing on a phone or other handheld device and are having problems with the site, please report it here. The more detail about what you're using, the better. (And if you're not sure if the problem is specific to handhelds or not, make your best guess and I'll move it if that seems appropriate.)

I have to warn you that this may be more about troubleshooting and helping each other. I'll certainly pass on problem reports but our support staff is finite, and I don't think it's possible to make the site universally accessible on all devices. And problems that affect large numbers of users are always going to be a higher priority.

Plus, I can't test most of these myself. I'm going to pull some posts from Tech Issues thread over here that had some suggestions & problems in a few minutes.

Strega

Strega

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2008 @ 3:08 AM

And we shall call this the Puds38 thread! Heh.

The last one is kind of in-between since it's an ad issue too, but I want to see if we can confirm if it's an ad issue specific to blackberries/handhelds or not, so I moved it over here.

I think over the holidays when I have a little more time I may see about setting up a poll or two -- I think it might help prioritize some problems if we can determine how many people currently look at TWoP on a handheld -- and also how many would, except it's too hard to deal with. We did do some surveys about how people accessed the site but it's been a while, and things have probably changed significantly. I can't promise anything but if you're reading this and going, "I can't add anything helpful, but yeah, I have that problem too," it is worth keeping an eye on this thread. Thanks, all.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Dec 12, 2008 @ 10:41 PM

Thanks Strega, hopefully more tech abled folks will be able to assist. FYI, I prob spend more time on handheld than PC (70/30)

Miss Write

Miss Write

Fanatic

Posted Dec 26, 2008 @ 8:38 PM

I just wanted to say thanks to the folks at TWoP for recognizing that some of us love to use our various cell phones and PDAs to browse the site. I use an iPod Touch 1G, which displays the site perfectly, and also an HTC Touch Pro cell phone (Sprint) which sucks (mostly because of the phone.) Due to problems with my laptop, I'm forced to rely on my iPod for Internet access at home.

Edited by Miss Write, Dec 26, 2008 @ 8:39 PM.

tterb

tterb

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 29, 2008 @ 8:46 AM

I'll preface this by saying that I know that I'm lame. But I was bored and was decided to read some old recaps of the Real World. I was trying to read season 2. But when I go to the Real World Recaps page on my BlackBerry Pearl, the page only loads through Episode 5-12. Anything older than that, doesn't ever show up. And I know they exist because I can read them on the computer.

Strega

Strega

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2008 @ 4:07 PM

My hunch is that the recap list is so long that it can't all load on your Blackberry. Which is annoying, but kind of a Real World-specific problem since I don't think we're likely to have 300+ recaps for any other show. (Also: yikes.) Do you know if the recap lists for any other shows load completely?

tterb

tterb

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 29, 2008 @ 5:48 PM

Other recap pages do load completely. If you know of another show that has a ton of recaps, I can check that, too. You're right about the yikes for the number of Real World recaps. Now that you're weecapping Big Brother, rather than having a weekly full recap, I can see that getting there soon, though.

Edited by tterb, Dec 29, 2008 @ 5:53 PM.

Strega

Strega

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2008 @ 12:47 AM

I don't think anything comes close to Real World; there 17 seasons, with almost all of them at 20-odd episodes. Gah. Big Brother is definitely mounting up but I think it's only got half as many recaps now. So by the time that's a problem we'll be using data crystals or something.

I guess I don't actually have a solution since it is probably is specific to RW. You may have to read those early seasons on a PC, sorry!

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

Stalker

Posted Dec 30, 2008 @ 9:08 AM

If the recap link at the top of the episode thread is a good one, you might be able to get to the recaps through the Real World Forum. Just a thought.

nicotico

nicotico

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2009 @ 11:38 AM

I have no idea how complicated this might be to execute, but is there any chance of developing a mobile version of the site or even an iPhone app? You could even charge for the app and I know I at least would pay for it. I ask because I surf twop with my iPhone all the time and it occasionally gets hard to navigate amongst the small links and small text. At the very least, I'd like to second a post made much earlier about using tubey as the show's web clip logo.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2009 @ 2:03 PM

I have no idea how complicated this might be to execute, but is there any chance of developing a mobile version of the site or even an iPhone app?

This is a great idea. I recently upgraded to the Blackberry 8900 and many of the issues I had with my previous phone are gone. The one remaining issues is the pages sometime squish together at the top. If a mobile version is on the way please let it be fully functional and not limited like Bravo's mobile site is.

Selianth

Selianth

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2009 @ 9:03 AM

Or, if it IS limited, PLEASE let there be a link to the real site. Last time I was on Bravo's iPhone site, there was no way to force it to load the fully functional real site, and I got quite angry about it.

akarasuma

akarasuma

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2009 @ 3:58 PM

I have no idea how complicated this might be to execute, but is there any chance of developing a mobile version of the site or even an iPhone app? You could even charge for the app and I know I at least would pay for it.

THIS! Seeing how I usually catch up on my TV shows on my (5th gen) iPod, a mobile version of the recaps and forums to read on my Palm Treo would be the other gift that keeps on giving, since I get the same error someone posted before: Page is too big to display (or something of the sort).

Emily Postal

Emily Postal

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 2, 2009 @ 8:09 PM

Does anyone know how to clear spoiler bars while reading on an iPhone? Thanks.

Edited by Emily Postal, Aug 2, 2009 @ 8:12 PM.

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

• Interests:Being TWoP Howard

Posted Aug 2, 2009 @ 8:27 PM

I haven't found a way to clear them, but I found a clumsy work-around, which is better than before. Assuming you have installed the 3.0 software update, you can tap and hold on a spoiler-barred section to bring up the copy/paste function. Adjust the borders to include everything you want to unspoil (the entire page if you like), and then Copy. Now open up Notes or a new email (any app that will allow you to paste into it). Double-tap to bring up Paste, and you will be able to see whatever you copied without the spoiler bars.

It's certainly cumbersome, but it works, and is better than before the update, when they couldn't be read at all.

Edited by Orion7, Aug 2, 2009 @ 8:30 PM.

Selianth

Selianth

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 11:09 AM

Agreed, that's the only way I've found to read under the spoiler bars on my iPhone.

Emily Postal

Emily Postal

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 8:46 PM

It works fine with the notes app, but when I try pasting into a blank email, the black bars are still there. Also, the pasted copy is reformatted, to be enlarged and spread out. Not that it's important. I just thought I'd mention it.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Aug 4, 2009 @ 6:30 AM

I haven't found a way to clear them, but I found a clumsy work-around, which is better than before. Assuming you have installed the 3.0 software update, you can tap and hold on a spoiler-barred section to bring up the copy/paste function. Adjust the borders to include everything you want to unspoil (the entire page if you like), and then Copy. Now open up Notes or a new email (any app that will allow you to paste into it). Double-tap to bring up Paste, and you will be able to see whatever you copied without the spoiler bars.

FYI I'm doing the same thing on the BB 8900. Copy and paste into a blank email and then discard.

tterb

tterb

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 7, 2009 @ 10:43 AM

I just noticed the TWoP Mobile link at the top of the website. Which is pretty exciting. I do have a couple of issues.

When you go to the main page, there are only 5 items listed. These seem to be recaplets and blog items. Any way more items could be added? This could get especially troublesome when fall tv kicks off and new items are posted multiple times a day.

I clicked on the Weeds item, thinking it would be the recap that was posted yesterday. However, it was just the recaplet published on Tuesday, even though it had yesterday's date.

When I clicked on Shows, it only listed 10 of the current shows on the page. Yet again, could more items be added?

I clicked on Big Brother from the Shows page. It, again, lists 5 items with no way to go further back. Also, these weren't the most recent 5 BB weecaps. I wasn't fully expecting the one for last night since it wasn't on the main page yet. But the one for Tuesday night wasn't on the list either. The first item listed was published on 8/3.

It seems to be headed in the right direction. There are just a few things that would make it more user-friendly. Honestly, the regular site on the BlackBerry isn't so bad if it wasn't for the giant blocks of cheese that are always up and ads didn't take so long to load.

Yfandes

Yfandes

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2009 @ 1:45 PM

I can't get the mobile site to load on my blackberry storm at all. The error I get is Http error 504: Gateway Timeout, if that helps. Is there anything I need to do to make it work?
Thanks

JennyBeans

JennyBeans

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 28, 2010 @ 1:21 PM

I know it is just a first version, but I am having some issues with the iPhone ap. (I hope this is the right place to put this)

*It crashes on launch if I don't have a strong connection. It also has crashed several times just randomly, but I know first gen aps tend to be buggy.

*I know there are only a few recaps for each show, and I'm sure this is not the place to whine about them being out of date, but it also seems to be inconsistent as to whether they are listed by date or alphabetically--and it doesn't seem like I can re-order them as I choose.
*Same applies to the blogs--a "going through channels" from last week is on top, followed by a more recent one, and so on. It's neither alphabetical nor date order, as far as I can tell. Top to bottom right now it's 1/26, 1/27, 1/25, week preview.

This is not a tech issue but rather a request--I'd just love a mobile version of the forums, which I'm sure is hard. I check them from my iphone using the regular browser all the time, and dream of a smooth mobile version some day. I'd also love more regular updates and more older recaps, but that's just 'cause I'm greedy. I'm sure there are technical reasons why that's hard or expensive.

IkeVandergraaf

IkeVandergraaf

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 5, 2010 @ 7:13 AM

I switched to the mobile version on my iPhone and it's a great start, but is entirely too difficult to navigate, and I can't find recent full recaps I'm looking for. Is there any way to switch back to the regular version until the bugs get ironed out?

jwe

jwe

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 25, 2010 @ 2:49 AM

I'm on a Palm Centro and would really like to be able to read the forums on it without waiting forever for something to hopefully load in less than 24 hours.... The mobile version of the home page doesn't have a link to forums, although everything else that is on it works on my Centro. Is there any hope for us? I would read TWoP much more often than once in a blue moon if I could only read the forums easily on the cell. There are other forums on the net that manage it.

Could an RSS feed be used somehow to get around problems? I use Google Reader and have no trouble reading anything on the subscription list on the phone, but those are blogs (i.e., specific articles) rather than forums.

I tried some link I found a long time ago about a lofi version

forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/lofiversion/index.php/

which seemed promising but didn't seem to work quite right for me. Is that a step in the right direction, or is a mobile-optimized site the only answer? And not just an iPhone app, please....

Kitten Poker Cheater

Kitten Poker Cheater

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2010 @ 11:03 AM

Is there any way to access the forums on a blackberry where one doesn't have to scroll sideways and back to read the posts- ie, to get the posts to fit the screen without needing a nasa-made magnifier to read them?