5-5: "Gail's Bridal Shower" 2008.12.10 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

333 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2008 @ 3:19 PM

From Zap2it:

The contestants arrange a bridal shower for judge Gail Simmons.

Mando138

Mando138

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:15 PM

I'm so glad mush mouth weird beard is off my screen!

FourGOM

FourGOM

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:16 PM

I totally thought Jamie was robbed. She came up with the whole idea for their dish and told Ariane to cook the lamb longer. On a happier note, at least Danny is gone. He was even more obtuse than Howie.

I find it hysterical that Stefan has been twice married to the same woman and has a crush on a lesbian.

Not Sure

Not Sure

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:17 PM

They couldn't have sent a nicer guy home. King Clueless.

Really, what exactly did he do for that dish? Bad mushrooms and plating some sauce?

MKL122788

MKL122788

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:17 PM

I am quite impressed with Arianne's team getting everyone to help them, if that was Stefan, there is no way in hell it would happen.

I think Jamie probably should have won, but good for Arianne. Two wins after two bottom appearances should really renew her in the audiences' mind.

I worry that the "Always a bridesmaid, never the bride" thing about Jamie is going to carry through to the future, indicating that she will at least make the final four but she will not win?

Qui

Qui

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:18 PM

Seriously? Name That Tune? Name That Effin' Tune?
You couldn't get Kathie Lee back and make it complete?

This show is just infuriating now. I keep watching hoping it will get better and it just kicks me in the ass.

And because it can't be said enough, SHUT UP Arianne.

Muse of Ire

Muse of Ire

Loyal Viewer

I was so afraid my man Eugene was going home, especially when we saw the photo of him and his wife. Don't do that to me, show!

Jamie's reaction to Ariane's win was priceless. As was Stefan's reaction to the praise for Jeff's sorbet.

It was really, really stand-up of everyone to help plate the lamb, though.

ETA: Oui, I'd already forgotten about the Quickfire. Yeah, that was a totally lame way of doing that.

Edited by Muse of Ire, Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:20 PM.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Ok, I feel for Jaime continuing to be runner up, but I'm going to need her to get over it and STFU. Her reaction to Ariane winning made me laugh and say HA HA.

As was Stefan's reaction to the praise for Jeff's sorbet.

Yea, that was definitely a "HA HA!" moment.

That's two in a row for Ariane, the come-back kid! I think she is the only person who has been to JT in every episode.

Daniel is delusion to think that he was the wrong choice. He essentially shot himself in the foot by continuing to say that the dish was plated well and he saw nothing wrong with the flavors, etc. And, how the hell is he going to add ingredients to someone's dish? Without permission? Seriously?

And, I don't know why Carla let Daniel get away with that either. She needs to speak up. Sure, you don't want to be THAT person, but damn, stand up for yourself. If you don't, who will?

Stephan must be a real jerk if Rhadika would want to work with Satan over him.

Edited by IvyDarling, Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:20 PM.

lessa2010

lessa2010

Couch Potato

Apparently Jaime will have to stab the other two in the top with her before she will win one. This is like last season with Lisa and the bacon in some ways. The one who got the dish concept set and pulled everything together was Stephanie but Lisa wins for the bacon. Without Jaime they wouldn't have had such an awesome dish but since Ariane cooked the protein she get the lions share of the credit.

Stephan has crossed a bit from smug bastard to creepy smug bastard.

No loss on Daniel going home, better his then Eugene.

irishchik

irishchik

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:19 PM

Ding dong, the tool is gone !! I was hoping Arianne would give her prize to Jamie.

I can't believe Danny had the nerve to say he should have thrown people under the bus. Who and how ?

jezebelly

jezebelly

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:19 PM

Good ep! The Quickfire Challenge was awesome, and hell, yeah to HOSEA BEATING STEFAN!

I'm glad that Ariane won, especially because she'd overcooked lamb in the past. The dish as a whole looked fantastic, and sounded delicious. While I do understand Jamie's frustration, I think she's only slightly less cocky than Stefan.

I think the right person went home tonight. Not only were the mistakes evident, but the lack of self-awareness was mind boggling.

Edited by TWoP Nikita, Dec 11, 2008 @ 2:34 AM.
removed spoiler tags

Khajiit

Khajiit

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:20 PM

Whew. I'm just glad they didn't eliminate Eugene, even though it would have been justified. I do also wish Carla would have just spoken up about Daniel ruining her dish.

Also loved to see that Jeff's sorbet was a hit after Stefan was so critical about him serving it.

Edited by Khajiit, Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:22 PM.

TrippingJ

TrippingJ

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:21 PM

Jamie and Radikha were so robbed of the win. That dish would have been nowhere without Jamie's conceptulization and Radikha's marinade. I cannot believe that the moronic Ariane won this dish when all she had to was cook the lamb, which she barely did. Would Ariane been able to pull off that dish without Jaime or Radikha? I think not.

I fear that Ariane is going to the Lisa of Season 5.

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

No, Daniel, you were the right one to go home.

Long after his teammates admitted they screwed up, he continued to defend that nonsense, and that dish was truly nonsensical. Plus, he added something to Carla's component without even asking her? Hello? I'd call it sabotage, but he just wasn't thinking.

Carla and Eugene, please never do that again. Hopefully they've both learned their lessons. I'm waiting for Carla to rock out, too. When she's been on bottom teams, she's had the best, or one of the best, things about the dish. Same for Eugene (except this week).

Team Blue's dish looked like a turd.

That was the best taste challenge yet. I like how they've improved upon it each year. But really, you have two automatic ingredients: salt and pepper. I can't believe Carla and Stefan didn't name them in the last round.

Speaking of Stefan: Jeff 1, Stefan 0. Stefan doesn't know everything? Who knew!

Wry Bread

Wry Bread

Fanatic

Finally, this season is showing some potential.

I liked so many things about this episode
- the Quickfire
- Jamie getting denied... again! (Oh man, the faces)
- Fabio
- Carla
- Marjorie from ANTM

Stefan's face turned beet red immediately after he found out he was on the same "team" as Jamie for the quickfire... that was cute and marginally makes up for the asshole he was in the rest of the episode ("Douche-boy Hosea!" Ha!). Jeff and Hosea are both awesome as well, and I'm glad to see that Jeff is making his way to the top.

Team New was a mess... I think everyone agrees.

Fabio's intro to his team's dish was hilarious, if only because of all the "Oooohs" and "ahhhs" it elicited from the women.

jezebelly

jezebelly

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:23 PM

Ok, I feel for Jaime continuing to be runner up, but I'm going to need her to get over it and STFU. Her reaction to Ariane winning made me laugh and say HA HA.

While I didn't quite laugh, I did think she needs to buck the eff up. She's only been in the bottom once, and it was mainly for pouting and shutting down. Kind of like she did this ep.

lessa2010

lessa2010

Couch Potato

I imagine one of the reasons Carla didn't speak up when she found out about the mushrooms was because she found out after several plates had been plated. What was she to do at that point but grin and bear it. That said she should have pointed out that she didn't approve of the mushrooms, that they were on the plate without her knowledge.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

I fear that Ariane is going to the Lisa of Season 5.

Except, Ariane is not an asshole (as of yet).

Jacob's Hair Dye

Jacob's Hair Dye

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:25 PM

Fabio's intro to his team's dish was hilarious, if only because of all the "Oooohs" and "ahhhs" it elicited from the women.

I liked his intro the best, if only for the simple fact that he alone showed good manners by congratulating the bride-to-be before launching into his spiel.

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:25 PM

Wow! Talk about turning yourself around. Ariane has really surprised me. She still seems to lack self confidence by the way she was in such disbelief that she won....again. I'm starting to like her a bit. Jamie on the other hand irritates me. She just seems to think she's so much better than everyone else. What was that comment she made? "Everyone thought I should have won.", or some such shit. What makes you think your food is so much better? Obviously the judges beg to differ or you would have won by now. Just shut it. Others may like her but I'm not on board that train. And I was really pissed about how Danny literally sabotaged Carla's salad. WTF dude? Carla is just too nice, because he would have had double bus tire tracks on his white chef's coat after I got finished with him at judges table. Glad he's gone. Yay Ariane!

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:26 PM

I hate the loser edit they keep trying to give Ariane. The whole Leah/Hosea thing bugs, they are both annoying and need to go. I wish Carla had called Danny out for scewing up her salad. I feel for Jamie but hre face when Ariane won was priceless.

Kiss My Grits

Kiss My Grits

Fanatic

While I can understand Jamie being frustrated at not winning- again- her poutiness is starting to bug a little bit. But she should have really been the one to get the win this time. I can't really begrudge Ariane though- since her surprise seemed very genuine.

Whew! I was so worried for Eugene from the very beginning when Carla was (not) voicing her concerns. I hope she learns from this. I am sure if anyone can find a way to be honest without being harsh- she can. But thank you Danny for being a little clueless. I hope Eugene bounces back and does well next week. I think I kind of have a little bit of a crush on the guy.

Hee at Stefan's look when the sorbet got praised.

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

• Interests:TV and Sarcasm. And I love the bitches.

Seriously? Name That Tune? Name That Effin' Tune?
You couldn't get Kathie Lee back and make it complete?

I forgot about Kathie Lee (Epstein?) on that show. La la la. But, I did like the challenge for the novelty of it.

Gail and Padma were so pretty at the cleavage party.

I was worried for Carla, I thought those mushrooms of doom would be her swan song.

I still like Stefan, but I always love the fun bitches.

foiledagain

foiledagain

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:27 PM

Although it's not my style, I would have made an exception for Danny and totally thrown him under the bus. You can not add elements to someone's dish without checking with them. He didn't even tell her he had done it. Carla turned around and there were mushrooms on her dish. He has no concept of boundaries and clearly his palate is questionable.

Ariane did nothing to that lamb except cook it. She did a great job cooking it, but she did not prepare it she merely cooked it. Jamie was totally robbed. Ariane should have said this win is not mine.

Stefan, arrogant SOB, is starting to provide me with some amusement rather than just annoyance- his Jamie-crush is hysterical. The rest of the time he's just an ass.

And what is with these freakin' supersized episodes? Just make it 90 minutes so we can see more food techniques and start at 9:30. Sheesh.

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:27 PM

I imagine one of the reasons Carla didn't speak up when she found out about the mushrooms was because she found out after several plates had been plated. What was she to do at that point but grin and bear it. That said she should have pointed out that she didn't approve of the mushrooms, that they were on the plate without her knowledge.

I thought it was a combination of it being too late to do something about it and not wanting to cause tension. Daniel wasn't thinking about Carla at all. Didn't he say that he didn't tell Eugene about it?

Khajiit

Khajiit

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:28 PM

I imagine one of the reasons Carla didn't speak up when she found out about the mushrooms was because she found out after several plates had been plated. What was she to do at that point but grin and bear it.

I totally understand why she couldn't do this before serving the dish. I had meant that I wish she had said something at judges' table. Long Island toolboy had just decided to add an ingredient without telling her. And apparently it was a poorly cooked, bad tasting ingredient, too. (Seriously, WTF?)

lulee

lulee

Stalker

Posted Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:28 PM

I imagine one of the reasons Carla didn't speak up when she found out about the mushrooms was because she found out after several plates had been plated. What was she to do at that point but grin and bear it.

I agree. Unplating them would have been contentious but also messy, possibly ruining the dish -- although maybe nothing could have ruined that "build-your-own-sushi" monstrosity more than it already was. What was Eugene thinking? 40 ladies at a lovely bridal shower and he gives them some-assembly required food. Awful idea.

Good riddance, Danny. It's an insult to putzes to call him a putz. Take your weird beard and rambling football reffing stories and just go. Leave your knives; I don't think I want you and your poor palate cooking for anyone.

I loved when Fabio said how nervous Colicchio being in the kitchen made him, like you're a priest and the pope is watching.

Edited by lulee, Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:31 PM.

fasces7

fasces7

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:30 PM

Between the necklines of Padma and Gail, I found myself distracted from the food on a semi-frequent basis. I'm easily distracted by cleavage, I'll admit.

OmahaMtLion

OmahaMtLion

Stalker

Posted Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:31 PM

Tom's blog on the Jamie-Ariane win situation:

Jamie could have spoken up and taken deserved credit for having conceptualized the dish and been the team leader on it, but she didn't. That information would have been salient to the judges, who loved the whole dish, and it might have tipped the scales in her favor and earned her the win.

If you want to be seen as the key player on your team, you have to either speak up, as Tom said, or cook the main component, the lamb. Of course carrot puree was going to lose out to well-cooked lamb.

sarapea08

sarapea08

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:31 PM

Except, Ariane is not an asshole (as of yet).

Yes she is. She had to be consoled when she was NOT eliminated (Jill was)and has the old bitchy passive/aggressive nerve to tell Jamie to not be upset that she lost to her. Yeah buttholey she is.

If Jamie wants to win she needs to start making something besides soup and purees.

Love the Stephan crush on Jamie.

Wow Eugene and Fabio have beautiful wives. Double wow that Hosea and Leah have significant others!

Edited by sarapea08, Dec 10, 2008 @ 11:37 PM.