United States of Tara

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

921 replies to this topic

Soulmusic

Soulmusic

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2008 @ 11:33 PM

From Sho.com

Showtime Networks has fast-tracked the pickup of UNITED STATES OF TARA, a new 12 episode half-hour comedy series starring Academy AwardŽ-nominated actress Toni Collette ("Little Miss Sunshine") as a wife and mother who suffers from disassociative identity (formerly multiple personality) disorder, it was announced today by Robert Greenblatt, President of Entertainment for Showtime. The comedy series, a co-production of Dreamworks Television and Showtime Networks, will delve into how a dysfunctional family, including Tara's working husband played by John Corbett ("Sex and the City"), copes with the various identities that may appear on any given day and range in age, temperament and even gender.

Academy AwardŽ-winning screenwriter Diablo Cody ("Juno"), who wrote the pilot, will continue to serve as a writer and one of the series executive producers along with Steven Spielberg, Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank of Dreamworks Television, and Alexa Junge. The pilot was directed by Craig Gillespie ("Lars and the Real Girl").

"SHOWTIME is known as the home of several shows featuring flawed main characters, and we welcome Tara -- and all her alternate personalities -- to the fold," said Greenblatt. "What a pleasure to watch Diablo Cody and Toni Collette work together, a combination of inspired writing and acting that raises this show from just a curiosity to a compelling examination of a modern family. It is our distinct pleasure to also work with Steven Spielberg, Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey, and all the talented people at Dreamworks Television."

This is set to premiere on January 18th 2009. I love Toni Collette. So I think this could be just as good as Weeds. From the promos on Showtime, it looks like it's going to be good.

Here is the trailer.

http://www.sho.com/s...bctid1772821562

Tellitlikeitis

Tellitlikeitis

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 8, 2008 @ 7:37 PM

Haha. I was just talking about Toni Collette on another board and did a search to see if there was thread for this show and indeed there was.
I think Toni Collette will be a great addition to the growing Showtime network.
The show looks promising even though they keep showing the same five clips.
I think my favorite personality might be Buck.

LoveTeeVee

LoveTeeVee

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 8, 2008 @ 9:06 PM

Is this supposed to be like Weeds? A satire on suburban life?

neciamorris

neciamorris

Fanatic

Posted Dec 26, 2008 @ 9:17 PM

I didn't know that Weeds was a satire on suburban life. I just thought it was a regular person who finds herself in an unusual situation/circumstance. I think this is an unusual woman trying to manage a regular life. I am really excited about this. I was hoping that a preview copy would be floating around by now.

soymilk

soymilk

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2008 @ 3:51 PM

I love Toni Collette but I loathe Diablo Cody. I am torn.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2008 @ 11:07 PM

I love Toni Collette but I loathe Diablo Cody. I am torn.

Heh. I actually like DC, but I'm crossing all my fingers and toes that we don't get Juno-speak. Please, baby Jesus, no.

I haven't watched it yet, but the Showtime VIP Insider will let you view the full pilot. The access code is tara. Ah, Showtime. Always so crafty with the code words.

I always have to remind myself that pilots tend to be pretty rocky and crammed full of exposition, but I'll gladly give this show a chance. I think Toni Collette is great, I've had a crush on John Corbett for a while, and I found out yesterday that Rosemarie DeWitt is in it too. It will have to be epically bad for me not to give it half a season.

Edited by hardy har, Dec 29, 2008 @ 11:09 PM.

kers

kers

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 30, 2008 @ 2:59 PM

I watched the pilot and I am definitely intrigued enough to keep watching.

LoveTeeVee

LoveTeeVee

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 31, 2008 @ 1:36 AM

Thanks Hardy Har! For the sneak peek!

bj1968

bj1968

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2008 @ 2:08 PM

I'm really looking forward to this show. I've been a fan of Collette's since Muriel's Wedding and I have had a crush on JC since Northern Exposure. The show looks really interesting and since I have given up on Weeds, I need a new show to obsess over.

Jer2002

Jer2002

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2008 @ 11:52 PM

Just saw the pilot via the VIP insider. I'm so in, the son rules.

noregrets

noregrets

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 1, 2009 @ 2:26 PM

I am so repulsed by that alternate personality -- the woman trucker with the cigarette hanging out of her mouth -- that I have already made up my mind I am NEVER going to watch this show.

The character is so repellent I already hate this show with a passion.

(And the fact that Showtime insisted on showing that character in every single commercial for the series has reinforced my loathing a hundred fold.)

Jer2002

Jer2002

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2009 @ 7:52 PM

Oddly enough, that was my favorite personality.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2009 @ 10:52 PM

I haven't watched the pilot yet, but isn't the trucker personality a man named Buck?

Jer2002

Jer2002

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2009 @ 9:37 AM

Yes.

LoveTeeVee

LoveTeeVee

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2009 @ 11:11 AM

The pilot had a few over the top moments, but Toni Collette somehow makes it work. Otherwise I will continue to be watching. The son is made of awesome!

kers

kers

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2009 @ 4:27 PM

Buck creeps me out--reminds me of Charlize Theron in that movie where she played the serial killer.

Huntley

Huntley

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2009 @ 12:37 PM

Saw the pilot! No plot spoilers follow. Just opinions.

Loved it, absolutley loved it. Say what you will about Diablo Cody and the contrived style of her dialogue. In the mouths of good actors it works and she's got an absolutely brilliant cast to help her here. At the same time she's got such a knack for showing rather than telling you all about the interpersonal relationships... I'm just giddy.

It was pleasant and light overall but still dark at moments, just serious enough for the subject matter yet definitely not taking itself too seriously. I'm gushing, I know, but this was so not a pilot! This felt like an episode of an established series. The chemistry and pace were so on point.

It may not be The Greatest work of art in the history of the world. It may not be Six Feet Under or Weeds and it might not appeal to everyone's tastes but if the following twelve are as good as this first I'm calling it Showtime's newest hit. I'll certainly be glued to my screen.

roybetter

roybetter

Posted Jan 9, 2009 @ 7:54 PM

I liked the pilot a lot although I thought it was fairly light on the funny but I understand that things have to be established first. Loved the father and son. The daughter needs some work.

And I am pretty surprised at people complaining about Juno-speak when I pretty much thought there was none. The dialogue flowed and snapped really well however and the cast did a great job with it. Looking forward to more.

Also, is it true that Diablo Cody only wrote the pilot and won't be writing the rest? That's disappointing if true.

Edited by roybetter, Jan 9, 2009 @ 7:56 PM.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2009 @ 8:15 PM

Also, is it true that Diablo Cody only wrote the pilot and won't be writing the rest? That's disappointing if true.

I believe so, but I seem to recall that she'll still be involved some way because she one of the producers. Does anyone know who else is on the writing staff?

FYI: Showtime worked out some deal with Netflix too, so the pilot is also currently available to subscribers.

neciamorris

neciamorris

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2009 @ 12:04 AM

DirecTV is also previewing a edited version of the pilot on 101. Next showing is tomorrow, Jan 10 at 10/9 CST. I loved it.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2009 @ 1:41 AM

I only have one thing to say: Muffins of Triumph.

LoveTeeVee

LoveTeeVee

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2009 @ 1:54 PM

Comcast subscribers, episode 1 is now up on On demand!

I only have one thing to say: Muffins of Triumph.

Homo-Made! LOL.

It amazing to me to see Toni play all these different characters and different voice inflictions, and then when I see her interviews, she is just as Australian as she can be.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2009 @ 6:41 PM

Here's a nice/informative NYT article about the show: The Four (at Least) Faces of Tara. Diablo Cody, Robert Greenblatt (president of Showtime), Alexa Junge (executive producer and writer), and Toni Collette talk about the difficulty of making a comedy series with lead character coping with DID.

It's mildly spoilerish.

It didn't name names, but some of the writers also worked on 30 Rock and Six Feet Under. If IMdB is correct, Alexa Junge has been a part of multiple episodes as a writer, producer or creative consultant of Big Love, The West Wing, Once and Again, Sex and the City, Friends, and Clarissa Explains It All. Man, that last one takes me back.

Edited by hardy har, Jan 10, 2009 @ 6:42 PM.

pablito

pablito

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2009 @ 2:21 AM

On the surface, this show seemed good but a little off-putting. Then I started thinking about why the alters seemed so stereotypical. If I think that the alters are not supposed to be realistic, but instead are Tara's perception of what those roles are, then the characterization that occurred in the pilot is amazing. Could it be that T is what Tara thinks her daughter is and subconsciously exaggerates it so that now Tara sees what's going on? Could Buck be what Max's masculinity is? Could Alice (in the future) be what Marshall is? The alters seem to be pretty straightforward, but seeing the parallels makes it very interesting in terms of what dynamics can occur in the family.

While at first I was pleased moreso with the presentation of the family and how they have already coped with the situation. At second look, they seem way too adjusted. I needed to see more angst from them in response to the alters, but I think that it may come up later. My heart fell, though, when I saw how supportive they've all been. Most families wouldn't have stayed through all that.

I saw hints of Tara's background and what the therapy sessions might have looked like. There's a lot going on in Tara's past, and I assume with the consultation with psychologists/psychiatrists that went on with this show, they will eventually touch on it and I can't wait for it.

I loved the acting, I liked the characterization and story, but I'm still waiting for the emotional punch that has got to happen eventually, because right now they're portraying a bit unrealistic situation for a person with DID. Usually it's worse, so I'm waiting for it to all fall apart, actually.

I'm also curious to what the mental health organizations will have to say about this show (at least in comparison to what was said about in treatment)

Jacob's Hair Dye

Jacob's Hair Dye

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2009 @ 4:15 PM

The pilot's up on Netflix Instant Watch as well, and I just finished.

I'm kinda bummed now that I don't have Showtime, but not enough to get for just this show. I added the DVD to my queue whenever it's done, but what I'm really hoping is that they've worked out a deal so that once an episode has aired, they'll add it to Netflix Instant Watch. I doubt it, but you never know.

I didn't have any problems with Buck, I liked him more than T. I do want to see some of the other Altereds.

I do have issues with the psychology though. As far as I know, the Altered personalities usually don't know about each other and don't know what the others have done. They also don't know why they are alternate personalities themselves. So Tara's Altereds all knowing what's going on, while it helps for exposition (and I suspect that's why they've gone this route), is a lot unrealistic. I can only imagine what the psychologists would say about this.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2009 @ 6:44 PM

As far as I know, the Altered personalities usually don't know about each other and don't know what the others have done.

I'm not sure if that's true in real life. I'm sure there are those who know about each other and those who are entirely ignorant. But this family has been dealing with it for 17 years. It's out in the open. If they talk to "Tara" about what the alters have done, then it stands to reason that that alter would know what Tara thought about it. They are parts of her, after all.

pablito

pablito

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2009 @ 1:33 AM

I broke out my DSM-IV-TR and it says that alters can have awareness of each other and in fact may openly argue with each other. In terms of the amnesia, there's a tendency for the passive alters to have less memory and the more dominant ones have strong complete memories. Thus it makes sense that both T and Buck are aware of things and remember, but Tara does not. In fact it makes sense since to cope Tara must compartmentalize.

I'm sure the alters don't know why they developed, but can certainly be aware that they're there. Although in very extreme cases, there may not be awareness or memories that are shared.

I have not seen a statement from American Psychological Association on this show, but they did publish something on "In Treatment" before. I imagine within the next two issues of the Monitor, something will show up.

aprilgirl

aprilgirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 12, 2009 @ 1:37 PM

Count me in for those who loved it. I think Toni Collette is great, and just love the son. And I am happy to see John Corbette again in his (seemingly) nice guy roles.

LoveTeeVee

LoveTeeVee

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2009 @ 7:21 PM

Showtime has a behind the scenes look on DID and they consulted a psychologist. Here it is

http://www.sho.com/s...clid=5253538001 It's the second video.

I'm kind of excited to meet Alice. She looks like Bree Van De Kamp(Desperate Housewives) on crack.

Edited by LoveTeeVee, Jan 12, 2009 @ 7:22 PM.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2009 @ 1:18 AM

Here's a quick little vid of the premiere. Way to dress up, Spielberg. Heh.

The official site looks like it's got more stuff to it as well.