The Secret Millionaire

• Please log in to reply

144 replies to this topic

simpleHope

simpleHope

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2011 @ 1:17 PM

Hmm... Interesting editing. She leaves her diamond ring at home and then as she is about to "distribute" her largesse to the "less fortunate" she is shown taking the ring out of the refrigerator in her "rental" apartment and slipping it on her finger.

Oh yeah. This is reality....

Staleepisode, I caught that too. And she just "happens" to find that music guy walking down the street. I wish she would have spent more time at just one of the places and we could have heard from more people or seen more of that place in action.

I wanted to like this show, but I just didn't.

Next week Gary, IN? Michael Jackson money should be supporting his hometown.

wynnterday

wynnterday

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 14, 2011 @ 1:22 PM

I'm wondering how they did they pull this off with the cameras everywhere? The whole scene with the last young lady seemed staged. With that said, I still cried throughout the entire show.

kalibean

kalibean

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2011 @ 1:57 PM

I'm certainly in no position to judge, but that bothered me a little bit - when I saw the types of electronics they had in their house. It's possible the electronics were donated, but I certainly hope the family is prioritizing Daisy's treatment over high-end electronics. No, I don't think they should be living in squalor, and I don't begrudge them having what seems to be a nice house. But I would think paying for treatments would come before buying a high-end, flat-panel TV.

I try to make myself feel better about fancy tv sets and such by reminding myself that they're practically given away and sold below cost on Black Friday, given away when you sign up for checking/savings accounts (maybe they raised $10k at a fundraiser and got it when they opened an account - my parents got one this way), given away by furniture stores when you buy a living room set and are one heck of a gift from family members. And they're also readily available and frequently rented out by places like Rent-a-Center. And also available on layaway at some retailers.

Cheap entertainment, too, once you have it. So just go to your happy place and think about how they aren't as expensive as they used to be and can be gotten in the most random of ways. It gets me through!

I'm still blown away by the small amounts given - I really thought this guy would be giving giant donations right and left. But it's his money to use as he sees fit, and I still think this show is awesome in general. I was really moved by the genuine appreciation of the recipients - made my cold, black heart feel a little warm and fuzzy.

MeInTheMiddle

MeInTheMiddle

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2011 @ 10:23 PM

I am NOT going to judge a family who has a nice TV. Seriously. They may hae gotten it on sale before their daughter got sick. I do believe HDTV has been around for awhile.

As for last night's episode with Marc...he really struck me as very sincere. And donating 110K of his own money is not a small donation. He is a millionaire, but we have no idea how much of his money is liquid, either. Real estate has taken a hit lately.

I am glad the 20K he gave to Chelsea didn't kick her off her insurance or anything horrible. Using it for school is awesome.

MeInTheMiddle

MeInTheMiddle

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2011 @ 2:35 PM

The skid row guy came off quite arrogant at first, but he seemed to get it after a few days.

I thought his hotel room was nice for LA...

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2011 @ 9:27 PM

This is the first time I've watched this show, (is EM: HE cancelled?), and I thought the couple were pretty generous. By my figuring, they gave away $410k,
I missed some of the earlier part for the group that got $250,000. I gather they help autistic children.
I didn't understand why they'd put all of that money into land and a building, rather than programs. Were they facing eviction?

Artsee

Artsee

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2011 @ 7:09 AM

They weren't facing eviction, and I wondered that as well. The Lazarus folks were the ones who needed to purchase their house, and I think they managed to do that with the $100,000 they were given.

I was impressed by the honesty of the husband, when he said that he found it really difficult to interact with the people with autism and admired his wife with being comfortable in a situation that was very uncomfortable for him.

I wish that the young man who was given the additional $20,000 had spent it on his tuition rather than a shiny blue car.

This couple has given away the largest amount of money I've seen, and that impressed me. Certainly previous millionaires seem stingy in comparison.

Edited by Artsee, Apr 4, 2011 @ 7:09 AM.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2011 @ 7:55 AM

I thought the young man was given $10,000, and I had assumed too that it would go on tuition, but maybe he has scholarships.
Let's hope then, that the autism group doesn't become "house poor." Do they do follow-ups? Because $250k would cover another staffer, and maybe equipment or if they needed a van, but not very far in real estate.

CrimsonTide4

CrimsonTide4

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 4, 2011 @ 8:29 AM

I cringed whenever the guy spoke who was given a check for $10,000 and was disappointed to see him buy a car with the money.

They were extremely generous with their giving yesterday and it really made me glad. I teared up when the guy with autism was given sunglasses. His joy was so pure and contagious.

chels73

chels73

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2011 @ 7:54 AM

I cringed whenever the guy spoke who was given a check for $10,000 and was disappointed to see him buy a car with the money.

ITA. I got distracted counting how many times he said, "You know what I sayin'?" I, too, was disappointed in seeing him spend all of the money on a car (IMO, partially under the guise of chauferring the kids around). He could've bought a used-yet-reliable car for less than that.

Regarding last night's episode, Ali Brown's face looked familiar, but I couldn't figure out if I'd seen her on another show or if she resembled someone. I liked the women's shelter, so I'm glad she gave them a big donation. I hope that along with the emotional support of the home and getting their education, they'll be able to support themselves in the future. The Beauty Bus was a great charity, too.

I didn't quite get the the homeless youth on Venice Beach. Do they just decide that they want to live off of donations instead of working? There were 3 kids holding up signs with pretty smartass remarks. One said something like "All I want is a cold beer." Another something like, "Be happy I'm not your kid." I could swear another news show like 60 minutes had a segment on the homelessness in Venice Beach and it was portrayed like a big chunk of the homeless liked living on handouts. If I find a link, I'll come back and post it.

Clearly, Dre wasn't just lazy. He had a huge drug problem and I'm glad he recovered. I kind of hoped Ali would've given him a small check just for him.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2011 @ 8:27 AM

I didn't quite get the the homeless youth on Venice Beach. Do they just decide that they want to live off of donations instead of working?

I thought it was me, because I came in late after 60 Minutes (delayed) was over.
Since Ali is local, I'm thinking maybe she'll keep an interest in these groups.

hugafish

hugafish

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

Is anyone watching the new season of this? Or just me?

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 8:49 AM

I'm watching it, too, hugafish. No matter how sappy the very obvious setups are, the show does manage to tug at my heartstrings just a little. I liked the latest one about the two friends who owned the fitness centers - it was cool that they set up the 2 coach/volunteers with their own franchise.

hugafish

hugafish

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

I liked that too. I think it's better than money to give someone the tools to improve their lives. I'm always a bit wary of giving individuals (rather than foundations) money because even a responsible person can use the money for things they don't really need. I was surprised to find their franchise opened in december 2011, how long ago was this filmed?

vvh3

vvh3

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2012 @ 5:45 PM

I really enjoy watching this show, let me say. At the same time, as a non-profit person, I sometimes wonder about the wisdom of giving a donation to a group which may not be viable. If you are funding it only with your own personal savings and have debt, that does not auger a strong future. A healthy non-profit has multiple funding streams and an increasing number now also have revenue-producing projects.

I do hope that the show will increase fund donation for these organizations.

Phebe Marie

Phebe Marie

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 5, 2013 @ 1:25 AM

In the wasteland of summer television, I stumbled upon this program which surprised me a great deal.  Tonight's episode had quite a few heart-tugging moments.  The founder of Auntie Anne's Soft Pretzels visited Baltimore visited Baltimore and gave to several worthy groups, including Moveable Feast, which provides meals to those in need.  It was really heart-warming to watch Anne come to care about the people she met in Baltimore. 

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2013 @ 2:27 AM

I like this show, too. The Kaplan episode just reran. He gave $75,000 to a couple who had founded a business on picking up donated items. It's nice to see the unsung heroes who live in the trenches of the trickle down theory, get some help. 

Alexa

Alexa

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2013 @ 6:59 AM

I like this show as well.  It provides some hope in the world to see people doing good things in difficult areas/situations.  I also like how the people that agree to do this show really embrace what they are doing/learning from those they meet.  In the early stages of this show they seemed to focus more on the rich person having to live in a poor area, but now they spend very little time on that and focus more on the services being provided in the community, so it feels like a better show in that regard.  I thought last night's episode was very touching, and I enjoyed that the guy was able to link one of the causes to his personal life.  

captain1

captain1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 20, 2013 @ 6:25 PM

Just watched the episode featuring Debbie Johnston from Richmond VA. I live just north of Richmond and caught an interview of her on a local radio station. She was talking about how much being on the show had changed her, and how she will be continuing her work with worthy charities. I like this show very much.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2013 @ 7:20 PM

Yes it's nice to see a series that's about something good and positive. 

Alexa did you mean the one where the guy went to Phoenix? I haven't seen the Richmond episode yet but I saw the Phoenix one. 

I really liked the Phoenix episode. What was the coffee shop called - Kup o' Karma? It helped abused women. The women working there were women trying to put their lives back together I think, it was founded by a woman (Monalou) who had been beaten for years, and the proceeds went to help abused women as well. Really good place. I would go to one often even though I don't drink coffee. I thought the women were amazing. 

The story the man told about his employee being a victim and losing her life was so sad. I loved Monalou's strength - she was moved but I could tell this wasn't the first such story she has heard. She was wonderfully supportive to him and to everyone. And when he brought out that $100k check they really were astounded.

I thought the other charities he visited were very worthy, as well. Those programs really seem to help people and the whole community benefits in the end. 

hshearer

hshearer

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 6:40 AM

I loved last nights episode.  They gave away 1.3 million.  I don't think anyone has come close to giving that amount.  I liked that they gave every resident (kids included) $100.  I will admit to crying like a little girl at the end.

Alexa

Alexa

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 7:05 AM

Alexa did you mean the one where the guy went to Phoenix? I haven't seen the Richmond episode yet but I saw the Phoenix one. 

Yes, I think that was the one...the one with the coffee shop and he had the employee that had died.  

I have really liked every episode this season.  All of them felt very heartfelt, and I am happy to see some of these smaller, but very worthy charities, get some attention.  It is clear that most areas have them, but the general public is not aware of the hard work some of these people do.  The Oregon episode last night was really nice...showing a fairly normal small town, and people coming together.  I loved the large gifts that were shared in this episode.  Awesome.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 11:35 AM

I also liked that everyone in the town was benefitting last night.  

One thing that bothers me about this show is that when they go to present the checks they say, "Actually, I'm a multi-millionaire!"  I know it's done for the show, but it's just off-putting to me to say this to people who are struggling so.  Of course, I prefer to do charity as anonymously as possible.  Feels better to me that way.  

LookSee

LookSee

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2013 @ 11:02 PM

Just saw the season finale and holy sht! talk about life changing. I can't imagine how things will change for the mom and kids with that $130K.  Do they each still get the $100/person? haha

I know it's done for the show, but it's just off-putting to me to say this to people who are struggling so.  Of course, I prefer to do charity as anonymously as possible.  Feels better to me that way. 

I loved the doctor's reaction when they told him they're multimillionaires - "well, good for you guys! lol". I mean, how are these poor people suppose to react? I have my own business and my goal is to some day make enough to anonymously give back to the community.

They gave away A LOT of money. Just how wealthy is this couple??

SanDiegoInExile

SanDiegoInExile

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 21, 2013 @ 6:49 AM

I just watched the Oakridge Oregon episode and actually thought the amounts were a bit TOO over-the-top. The dollars for the city and the firehouse and the physician assistant made sense, but all that money to the grocery store worker and the laid-off librarian/daughter seemed a bit much, especially for random folks.  I liked the Rapier couple, however this episode seemed much more staged than the others.  Perhaps it was the dynamic of two millionaires, or maybe the lack of "charity" organizations per se in such a small community.  

Seems the show was filmed ages ago: http://www.registerg...-clark.html.csp

Looks like the family trust has given away more than $30M since starting in 2006, so this isn't anything new to them: http://www.rapiertru...orge-rapier.php

Edited by SanDiegoInExile, Sep 21, 2013 @ 6:54 AM.