The True Blood Story, So Far (All Seasons Discussion)

• Please log in to reply

285 replies to this topic

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 5:09 PM

I think it works on an intimate level too, take the maker/progeny dynamic for example: I think it helped to outline the dynamic between Pam and Sheriff Northman, the attachment between Northman and Godric and the role Sookie played in all of these dynamics because of her own responsibility on what happened to Jessica and the potential role she might have in Pam's afterlife.

It established a sense of normalcy within the abnormal because it made it relatable at a basic human level, to me, these are no longer monsters but parents and children, sons and daughters, mothers and fathers, so I could understand the need to protect, what is basically, their own families.

Edited by zomb, Oct 26, 2011 @ 5:12 PM.

Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 3:35 AM

First, I think Erik blatantly lied to Sookie about Bill waiting for Sookie to be beaten before he stepped in. Erik lies a lot, just as Sookie says. Erik wasn't there, Sookie and Bill were there. Bill is not shown to us as lurking evilly in the woods, waiting, so no way am I buying Erik's story. He is a vampire. Hes not always trustworthy that's why Sook gives that little speech about all his lies in epi 48

I see Faerie as a codominant gene, with a 50/50 chance of being passed on ( obviously stronger if two genes). Could also have, like most genes, epi genetic factors or variable expression. Jason's goodness and attractiveness may reflect faerie. There could also be more than one gene.

TruBlood lacks many human aspects (like fear). Bill seems to try and promote fear-free blood with those donor people. Bland.

Faeries who drink vampire blood become darker, vamps,vice versa etc. maybe faerie blood makes vamps a little psychic. Maybe that's how Russell got out of his predicament. At any rate, now we know what's so special about Miss Sookie Stakehouse and there's no telling what else a developing faerie, with help from other faeries, might do.

Did anyone else notice that humans are getting increasingly upset with vampires? And the other supers may not like being outed. It's too bad some people want the show to be more vamp-focused. That would be, er, unrealistic to me. Once the vamps are out of the bag, no telling what else is out there. And that's a good deal of the fun, for me and the people I watch with.

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

First, I think Erik blatantly lied to Sookie about Bill waiting for Sookie to be beaten before he stepped in.

Actually, I believe the Sheriff on that one: it was the only way it makes sense to me considering how quickly Sookie developed an attachment to Bill after she drank his blood.

If Compton let them beat Sookie to death, not only he ensured her dependency on him, but he would also know wherever the fairy was at all times.

*ETA: However, I do believe Compton as well when he said he actually fell in love with her. IMO it was a crappy situation for all the involved, that's all.

Edited by zomb, Feb 11, 2012 @ 9:38 AM.

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

Leatherstocking Did anyone else notice that humans are getting increasingly upset with vampires?

Which is what bugs me with the whole Vampire Rights Act - how the hell did it get passed? Since Vamps "Came out of the coffin", we've met two vampires (Bill and that spokesvamp on TV) who are in favour of mainstreaming, a few who are relatively neutral (Erik) and several who are outright opposed (King Russell, the tacky trio). And even Bill is far less concerned with breaking human laws than breaking vampire ones. So why are humans giving vampires a say in "our" affairs? If anything, the Fellowship of the Sun have been proved right!

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

Did anyone else notice that humans are getting increasingly upset with vampires?

The humans, the werewolves, the witches, the shapeshifters, even the faes at times.

*ETA: I can't think of anyone in the supernatural world the vampires haven't upset by now.

Edited by agora, Apr 11, 2012 @ 4:01 PM.

azbabe2229

azbabe2229

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

First, I think Erik blatantly lied to Sookie about Bill waiting for Sookie to be beaten before he stepped in. Erik lies a lot, just as Sookie says.

I think there is more to that scene on Sookie's porch then what we know right now. It seems as if Bill may have a reason for letting Sookie think he allowed the Ratt beating, I don't know why but it's just something I got when I rewatched that scene and saw the look on Bill's face when he admitted it.

I could be proven wrong, but with AB you never know what he will come up with.

But even if Bill did allow the beating, it was before he fell in love with her. And in S4 E12, Sookie forgave Bill for all his sins, and she asked for his forgiveness. And she did not do that with Eric. The AE/S romance was short lived and was done under false pretenses, AE was not the real Eric, and Sookie admitted to AE that she would never allow the other Eric into her bed. So I think that relationship is done for, at this point in time.

kris5711

kris5711

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

AE was not the real Eric, and Sookie admitted to AE that she would never allow the other Eric into her bed.

Yes, but in the last episode, she admitted that she was always attracted to Eric, even when he was ruthless, etc, etc.. She pretty much admitted she loved them both, so I think it can go either way next season.

azbabe2229

azbabe2229

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

so I think it can go either way next season.

I really do hope that the E/S romance is done for, their coupling last season was one of the blandest, most boring hookups ever. There was not much sexual chemistry between them at all, and their 'love affair' only lasted for 3 or 4 days at the most. How unbelievable is it that these two fell so deeply in love after having sex for 3 days? Not at all, IMO.

Alan Ball gave his critics the AE story from the books, but he put his own twist on it, and it was laughable and kind of pathetic. Eric as a emotional teen-age boy was an awful look for him, I wonder if AB made it look bad on purpose. He looked like a gawky, nerdy teenager and Sookie acted like his sexy high school teacher.

I remember reading a statement made about AE/S after that silly snowflake shower scene, it described exactly how I felt about those awful scenes in the shower and in the forest:

I am parrot phrasing here: "Eric and Sookie, a couple so lacking in heat, it SNOWED!!" LOL

Rina99

Rina99

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

Alan Ball gave his critics the AE story from the books, but he put his own twist on it, and it was laughable and kind of pathetic. Eric as a emotional teen-age boy was an awful look for him, I wonder if AB made it look bad on purpose. He looked like a gawky, nerdy teenager and Sookie acted like his sexy high school teacher.

I've never been able to make it past the third chapter of the first book, because I find the writing quite terrible, so I only had the online wikipedia summary about book 4. I do recall reading about the whole Eric storyline and thinking, "Wow, that sounds like some stupid-ass shit. Well, maybe the show will improve it." But what was in the book sounds like Shakespeare compared to the WTF-ness of what played out on screen. Everything about it was just very unappealing, and made me seriously question AS's acting skills. I mean, it was a terrible storyline, but I think a stronger actor could have made Eric seem less...mentally challenged. I mean, all he did was lose his memories, geez.

I'm not sure what the hell Alan Ball intended, but the end result did not do either character any favors.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

Yes, but in the last episode, she admitted that she was always attracted to Eric, even when he was ruthless, etc, etc.. She pretty much admitted she loved them both, so I think it can go either way next season.

Actually, to me that's what tips the balance towards Eric because, up until that point, I honestly believe she couldn't deal with the ruthless, the progeny, the maker and everything in between. Eric was too damn much, so I figured it had to Bill because he was far less complicated, something Sookie could handle even before she knew what she was.

The moment Sookie said she actually didn't care, that's the moment Bill lost IMO.

azbabe2229

azbabe2229

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:37 PM

Everything about it was just very unappealing, and made me seriously question AS's acting skills. I mean, it was a terrible storyline, but I think a stronger actor could have made Eric seem less...mentally challenged. I mean, all he did was lose his memories, geez.

The acting was badly done on both sides, AS and AP don't have that essential spark needed for a romantic story, they were kind of boring together. And I agree that another, better actor could have made a big difference in how this romance played out. AS looked silly as AE, but maybe that was what AB was going for.

kris5711

kris5711

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

You know, there was a lot I found charming about AE initially, but the some of the dialogue they gave him was so over the top between constant Sookie compliments and his neediness, I think they went too far. I mean, I understand his fear related to not having a memory and wanting to cling to the familiar (in this case, Sookie), but there didn't seem to be any bit of what his human self seemed like. It's like the spell regressed him to 14 years old. I don't know what else AS could have done with the material!

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

The acting was badly done on both sides, AS and AP don't have that essential spark needed for a romantic story...

I couldn't disagree more, Sookie and Eric have always had that certain spark about them, but this time she was meant to make love to a man who didn't remember how to have sex anymore. I think it would've been completely unrealistic to see him behave like the usual Eric. And they broke things off before he could.

It's like the spell regressed him to 14 years old

I thought it only made sense, remove 1000 year old Sheriff and all what's left is the viking prince who used to act like a 14 year old.

Edited by agora, May 16, 2012 @ 9:47 AM.

muffilator

muffilator

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:58 AM

Everything about it was just very unappealing, and made me seriously question AS's acting skills. I mean, it was a terrible storyline, but I think a stronger actor could have made Eric seem less...mentally challenged. I mean, all he did was lose his memories, geez.

I felt that way too, when it first aired ... on rewatch, Eric comes off much less child-like.

kris5711

kris5711

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

I actually thought AS did well. I thought the material was a little tough sometimes, but I find his face incredibly expressive, generally speaking.

azbabe2229

azbabe2229

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

what's left is the viking prince who used to act like a 14 year old.

Oh goodness, now all I can think about is that Sookie had sex with a 14 year old in a man's body, which makes their affair even worse in my mind.

Another reason why I found AE/Sookie unappealing was the awkwardness of AS in the role. He was always slouched over, he is just too tall compared to Anna. Physically they don't fit together very well, and the sex scenes were not sexy, they just seemed uncomfortable.

What I am curious about is how the Alcide/Sookie thing will pan out. JM is also very tall compared to Anna, but I do admit that Joe's naked body was so much more sexier then AS's naked body, IMO. Will Alicde/Sookie have more chemistry then E/S? We shall have to wait and see.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:50 AM

I thought it only made sense, remove the 1000 year old Sheriff and all what's left is the viking prince who used to act like a 14 year old.

Oh goodness, now all I can think about is that Sookie had sex with a 14 year old in a man's body...

To be honest, all I can think of is that Pam has been respectuful and obedient of a 14 year old father all along.

Worst case of teen pregnancy ever IMO!

*ETA: Although it does make me feel slightly less bad for Godric in the long run, as he was "raising" someone younger than him after all.

Edited by agora, May 16, 2012 @ 10:00 AM.

azbabe2229

azbabe2229

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

To be honest, all I can think of is that Pam has been respectuful and obedient of a 14 year old father all along.

Pam may be wondering why she has been so respectful and obedient of Eric after his horrible treatment of her in S4, I never expected Eric to threaten Pam with her life, even over Sookie.

Although that did lead to one of the best lines ever by Pam in all 4 seasons so far: "I am sick of Sookie and her fairy vagina" (parrot phrasing). I loved that, LOL

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

Pam may be wondering why she has been so respectful and obedient of Eric after his horrible treatment of her in S4...

I'd say the only thing worse than a teenage father for a baby vampire should be a fairy stepmother. There should be supernatural laws about it, in my opinion.

orionlion

orionlion

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

Just finished rewatching Season 4 on DVD (YAY). And one thing that I really loved in this Season was how many opportunities there were for the actors to play somebody else. Lafayette getting possessed meant Nelsan had to play Tio Luca, Mavis and then Marnie pretending to be Lafayette. Sam Tramell and Dale Raoul had to play Tommy pretending to be Sam and then Maxine. Fiona Shaw had to (brilliantly) play shy Marnie, then bold Marnie, Marnie possessed by Antonia back and forth, Marnie channeling Gran and even channeling Eddie! (That freaked me right out. She got Stephen Root's slow drawl just right) Even AlexS, (like it or not) had to play wounded puppy memory loss Eric for most of the Season. Good times!

kellygibbs

kellygibbs

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 1:04 AM

Lafayette getting possessed meant Nelsan had to play Tio Luca, Mavis and then Marnie pretending to be Lafayette. Sam Tramell and Dale Raoul had to play Tommy pretending to be Sam and then Maxine.

All three actors did such a fantastic job! If I had to pick one, Maxine was the best. Sam Tramell impersonating Tommy pretending to be Sam Merlotte -- I expected Tramell to pull that off. Same with Nelsan Ellis. Those actors play characters with more nuance than Maxine, so I didn't know that Dale had the acting chops to pull it off. I didn't "see" Dale, it was like the actor that played Tommy really had changed his physical appearance.

ChicagoRedshirt

ChicagoRedshirt

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

So this season has made a big deal about religious conflict in the vamp world.

We apparently have the Authority we've heard about on and off. We still don't know that much about them (who these members are, how they rise to power, what their individual agendas are, if their positions are eternal, if the members are publicly known amongst vampires, if the humans even know that the Authority exists, etc.)

But they apparently are rich and powerful and dictate who gets to rule over certain territories, etc. They also seem to be embroiled in a civil war that is religious/philosophy based.

The direction the Authority has taken is that vampires should co-exist with humans, drink Tru Blood and "mainstream." They have been pushing for equal-rights style bills and dictating that feeding off and killing humans is a crime. This is all, according to the apparent head of the Authority, necessary both because it's the right thing to do and because humans greatly outnumber vampires.

The head of the Authority seems to be of a religious faith based on the Vampire Bible, which maintains that God is a vampire, God's first creation was the vampire Lilith, God created humans to serve as vampire food, and whatever befell of Lilith, she is expected to have a second coming. He does not take these lessons literally, but he apparently takes other parts of the vampire Bible seriously.

Many other vampires -- including other members of the Authority and our heroes -- don't seem to be religious at all in respect to the vampire Bible. They may know of its existence but don't show it particular reverence in our daily lives.

There have been references to acts that were considered blasphemous vs. sacred throughout the seasons -- sharing vampire blood with wolves and humans was considered sinful, makers have "holy" duties to their progeny, etc. I'm sure there are others.

On the other extreme are "Sanguinistas" -- vampires fundamentalists who are oppposed to mainstreaming and who are in both open rebellion against the Authority and secretly undermining its authority. The Authority apparently has no clue who could be involved. Two of its members/high-ranking officials apparently were: Nora and child vampire who just got the true death. (Although I suppose his explanation that he was trying to work as a mole within the Sanguinista movement could be true."

Anyone want to add in anything I overlooked about where the Authority plot is this season, or previous allusions/statements about vampire religion?

clack

clack

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 5:42 PM

Dunno if I can make sense of the TB-verse, and I'm no longer much interested in trying. The writers make it up as they go with no concern of it all hanging together. Anyway here goes :

Anyone want to add in anything I overlooked about where the Authority plot is this season, or previous allusions/statements about vampire religion?

We as viewers know that there is an afterlife. We've seen ghostly visitations -- even Godric 's soul survives the True Death. Do TB vamps know for a certainty (with no need for faith) that there is a heaven of sorts, where the souls of the dead go? That right there would distinguish there relation to the vamp bible from humanity's relation to the Judeo/Christian one.

Also the vamps would have a different relation to events recounted in the human Bible and the Koran. There must be vampires still around who knew Mohammed. We know that Salome knew John the Bapist. Was Jesus able to perform miracles? Rise from the dead? Vamps would know.

What is contained in the vampire bible? Mythical origin accounts (Lillith, etc)? Practical magic for magical beings (tips for glamouring)? Commandments?

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2012 @ 6:26 PM

I was cool just seeing Terry and Lala living their lives, cooking up gumbo at Merlottes and being the characters they used to be.

From an episode thread. I so agree. The show needs a touchstone of 'normalcy' in which the viewer can sort of exhale. Even for a few minutes. If everybody is dragged into something supernatural in a firsthand way, there's really none of that. The only ones this season that I can think of who aren't, are Arlene and Mrs Fortenberry, and even they are tangentially wrapped up in something via Terry and Hoyt. Terry is headed toward something supernatural or is already knee deep in it, and Hoyt is flirting with being lunch for some new vamp. When they are on screen, much as I dislike most of what comes out of their mouths (especially Arlene) they are more a glimpse of how a lot of people might react to those circumstances. It adds a lot of humor or poignancy, depending.

It does seem like Bon Temps is a hellmouth, in that it just seems to attract much more supernatural activity, much of it dangerous or 'bad,' than anywhere else in the True Blood universe. But I'd also love to see more places outside Bon Temps and how 'normal people' or 'the common folk' live in those locations. Even on television. Show us what others think about vampires - show a vampire being interviewed (cough, that isn't meant as a reference to a certain book series, honest) or something. I'd love to see a vampire being interviewed about points in history for instance. That would be the first thing I'd want to know. Or have a werewolf on a talk show talking about their favorite foods. Silly things like that.

However they do it, contrast to 'normal human life' is desperately needed, I think. Show the way our brains work vs. the way supes' brains work. Show them humoring us more often. Or, just the way it was more in the early seasons, with more people doing everyday things. Otherwise supernatural is just natural anyway.

OrchidLady

OrchidLady

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 12:22 AM

Agreed, having normal characters really does help the supernatural story. I miss Season 1 Lafayette - he was so fabulous and full of joy and dare I say sassy. It was wonderful, and now he's been going through one trauma after another ever since Eric's basement in Season 2. I keep watching so I guess I can't complain too much....but I get so frustrated because this show still could be magnificent if only they'd reduce the number of characters and disjointed plot lines and really deeply develop a few great stories. Remember Tara in Season 1? Anyone who has dealt with a dysfunctional mother in real life was able to get a lot of her story, the supernatural should always reflect back what happens in real life for it to resonate with people. Tara is now changed into a creature she once hated...how rich that could be? But no, we just get angry Tara vampire and now she's feeding on Hoyt, turn the page. Gah, I said I wouldn't complain too much so I'll stop.

Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

Great points, ScrubMonkey. TB, are you listening? Can you please do this for us? It's what's wrong with the show's current situation.

OrchidLady

OrchidLady

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 5:50 AM

One more thing to add. For an interesting contrast watch the British series Ultraviolet - which also has some Stephen Moyer, but not near enough of him. In that show the normal people are the absolute center of the story and the vampires are a supernatural menace. It makes the vampires scarier and adds real suspense. With TB we are now so accustomed to the vamps that the sense of mystery is gone.

scratcheyes

scratcheyes

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 2:36 AM

A couple of thoughts/questions regarding the Mavis/Terry storyline. I think we've all decided by now that Mavis did not set the fire in Terry's house (the ifrit did), but most likely was responsible for getting Mikey out of the house.

When Terry saw "Mikey" writing on the wall when he wrote "not your son", many people assumed it was ghost/demon Rene leaving that message. On reflection, does anyone else think that in that instance, it actually was Mavis who wrote that - because she desperately wanted Mikey for her own, and was treating him as if he were her own? The message could very well have been written to both Terry and Arlene, although we were focusing mainly on Terry.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

Thank you.

About the vampires and the Authority: Whether to be vegetarian vampire (feast on TruBlood) or carnivorous (devour live humans), I am glad, although it's harrowing and sometimes gross to watch, that Show is stepping up the vampire brutality. There was always a little bit of it (The vampire group that had the human hanging upside down, Eric interrogating humans and ripping them into pieces) but not enough to seem realistic.

Vampires are just humans with super powers. They seem to have been chosen often times for their selfishness, coldness or brutality while human. Godric chose Eric for his fighting ability. Eric possibly chose Pam for her ruthless side (willing to kill herself, betting all or nothing; and emotionally detached from her 'girls.') Lorena chose Bill for his gentlemanly side but quickly developed him into a heartless serial killer.

So what has been stopping vampires from rampaging constantly - doing whatever they pleased? The Authority. What will happen if Roman is truly gone now, with no similar vampire (Like Nan) to replace him? I've wondered throughout the seasons why there were not more news reports in the background, during the episodes, of a vampire serial killer, rapist, even a despotic leader. (Even with the Authority in power, what would truly stop them? Was the Authority's arm that long? How did they control the world's vampire population that well? I'd like to know how, at some point.)

I'm curious that between vampires and other supes, some of whom must be sociopaths, terrorists, rapists, thieves, serial killers, etc., why things are as peaceful as they are. And why it's taken until season five for humans to fight back against that possibility - not necessarily as a vigilante mob, but in some way other than griping on CNN.

Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2012 @ 12:27 AM

During some of the historical phases the vampires have lived through, humans would have been much less tolerant and more vigilante about hunting them down in their coffins while they slept. Withdrawing into castles, etc., and keeping a low profile became important for the Vampires of Old (I'm really speaking about vampire lore of the 19th century). Anyway, it seems like keen social commentary to point out that now that Vampires are on Youtube, many humans will just yawn and mill about sluggishly, even when a vampire is right in front of them. A few (the rednecks) think guns will solve the problem.

I don't think Eric or Bill wants to live in a state of all-out human vs. vampire civil war, but Russell does. That's because Russell knows that's his own best survival strategy. If everyone fears him, and he can get back inside his estate, he may last another few centuries.