The True Blood Story, So Far (All Seasons Discussion)

• Please log in to reply

285 replies to this topic

Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 5:08 PM

I think the actual (regular) mythology of Lilith does imply she was "banished" to that other place (the Land of Nod:  Place with no explanation whatsoever in either Hebrew legend or versions of the OT).  

I've been wondering if Nora is able to parse the scriptures properly anyway (always a problem with scripture - but I'm thinking Nora will be our "prophet" as to what they're supposed to say).  "Leading to the sun" sounds very ominous to a vampire, but not if all the vampires are given the ability to walk in the daylight (as Bill's vision seems to imply).  So I can't figure out if the progeny are doing a good thing or a bad thing by leading Lilith to the Sun.  

For Scrubmonkey.

(It's really just 19 seconds).

phoenix780

phoenix780

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2013 @ 9:18 PM

Now that it's all over...I think they got the show to a good place, back in Bon Temps, the stakes are raised a bit with the roving bands of sick vampires.  But, damn, couldn't they have gotten here by episode 7 instead of dragging things out in the middle?  I don't feel like that extra time was well-used at all.

weallfalldown

weallfalldown

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 18, 2013 @ 11:07 PM

But, damn, couldn't they have gotten here by episode 7 instead of dragging things out in the middle?  I don't feel like that extra time was well-used at all.

Aside from the introduction of a few characters, I feel like they undid the whole season in one episode... Leaving me to feel like "uh, what was the point of that?!?"

Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 18, 2013 @ 11:32 PM

TPTB can contact us here if they want story help.  

maddid

maddid

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 18, 2013 @ 11:43 PM

Good season.. Ridiculously stupid season finale.

Brian Buckner, you better make things right in Season 7. 

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2013 @ 4:12 AM

Well Russel didn't burn at all when he and Eric were chained together in the season 3 final outside Fangtasia. So I dont get it.

(From the episode thread.) Russell had just had a good amount of fairy blood from Sookie, so he only sizzled. But he did still begin to burn, which is why they could capture him. (Sookie is only half fae, and Russell didn't have enough.) Eric was sizzling at that time too. On the mountain top, Eric had run completely out of fairy blood, because Warlow died. (It was a bit unbelievable to me it happened so quickly since he had more in him even than Bill had had.)

A good finale should set up anticipation for the coming season and unlike past finales, this one just did not do that, for me. It almost gave a full season in the last half hour, which makes me wonder if this was originally meant to end the series.

BookWoman56

BookWoman56

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2013 @ 7:33 PM

I had such high hopes for this season, foolishly thinking that now that Alan Ball and his hard-on for all things Bill/Stephen Moyer would be gone, that the show would quit being so damn Bill-centric. And so while the show did some things right, such as bringing the action back to Bon Temps and trying to tie the gazillion storylines together, from my perspective this season and the finale especially were just an epic fail. So, Bill was the one who last season ordered the destruction of the TruBlood factories, but this season he's the savior of the vampires, who are being persecuted primarily because they no longer have access to TruBlood and must feed on humans. If I were being cynical, I'd say the writers set up the TruBlood shortage precisely so they would have a way to once again let Bill come to the rescue. I am just so tired of any interesting storylines and so much time being given to Bill, especially when Stephen Moyer (who seems to be a nice enough guy IRL) cannot pull off any expression other than frowning or looking petulant. Meanwhile, Lafayette, Tara, Pam and scores of others are lucky to get one or two lines an episode. I've been wondering for a while just what it would take to make me give up on the show, and I really think this season finale turned out to be the answer. It's easy to criticize the books, but Charlaine Harris did get one thing right: Bill worked best overall as the vampire who introduced Sookie into the supernatural world and then faded into the background for the most part.

I'm upset at the prospect of Eric's character being dead, although I still think they will do some lame-ass thing next season where it turns out he was rescued by Pam, who will have apparently borrowed a blanket from the same deus ex machina store that Niall had been hanging out in. But I remember a few years ago reading an interview with ASkars, where he talked about how grateful  he was for True Blood, because he was banking the bulk of his salary as "Fuck you money," so that in the future he wouldn't feel compelled to take a shitty role in a badly written movie just for a paycheck. I think the scene of Eric burning was ASkars recognizing that the same show that had provided him with his "Fuck you money" was now the same one where he needed to say "Fuck you, no" to shittily written dreck. I suspect he negotiated or bought out his contract so that he would only have to do a limited number of episodes next season, if he returns at all. But even if he does return, I won't be watching. I'm too tired of the "Bill is a dick; Bill is a dick some more; Sookie is in danger yet again; Bill broods and does one decent thing and is praised by the entire world; lather, rinse, repeat" show. There are some great actors on this show; Ryan Kwanten has been particularly impressive. Hell, even Joe M. isn't quite as wooden as he used to be. It's too bad so many of those actors are given throw-away lines and pointless storylines just because Alan Ball regarded Bill and Sookie as OTP. Enough already.

Edited by BookWoman56, Aug 19, 2013 @ 7:35 PM.

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2013 @ 8:47 PM

HBO series usually are 5 - 6 seasons long. In fact, I think HBO makes more miniseries than any other channels. Therefore I was a bit surprised when the show got its 7th season as it is rather unprecedented for hour-long show. Is there any indication that 7th season will be its final season? I personally do not think I can hang on much longer with this deteriorating story lines.

maddid

maddid

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 20, 2013 @ 4:22 AM

If they decide to make Season 7 the last season, they really should have saved the 6 months later scenes for next season.

As a poster said before, the season finale really felt like it was the end of the series.

weallfalldown

weallfalldown

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 20, 2013 @ 12:58 PM

All I keep coming back to is that as it turns out Lilliths grand plan was to save, what, like 10 vampires?! That was what a two season long story arc culminated in? Lame

ChicagoRedshirt

ChicagoRedshirt

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2013 @ 1:30 PM

In fairness, without Bill and Eric's excellent adventures, who knows how long Vamp Camp would have gone on for or what new discoveries/weapons the LAVTF would have developed.

Also, it could be said that Bill and Eric failed the Lilith mandate, with as much as 1/8 of the present vampire population now sick, and some percentage killed by Hep V before it mutated.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2013 @ 7:54 PM

The series badly needs someone to make a show bible, make sure the writing team sticks to it, make sure all the dots connect, etc. It seems like the basics are not there, and season to season people are just inconsistent. I'd like to see the characters grow in a way that makes sense, instead of making such random choices. Seems like they are going with what sounds 'new' and 'novel' in a meeting instead of what will make sense to spend lots of time with that year. 

I don't think the fans want 'novel' and 'strange' for every single character. Personally I'd be just fine with nothing much happening to some of them. That 'normalcy' provides a contrast to the 'supernatural' - you have to have 'natural' for something else to be supernatural.

west64

west64

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 21, 2013 @ 3:31 AM

I do think if season 7 is the last, we wont get another short 10 episode season, maybe we will get 15 episodes, a few more to make-up for season 6.

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2013 @ 2:00 PM

I felt like 6 was a huge improvement over 5 - reigning in a lot of the sprawling story lines, and cleaning house on a lot of the cast (all of the wolves, faeries, and authority from last season are pretty much gone, plus Terry, Steve Newlin, Luna, & Emma).  I loved the return of Sarah Newlin, I kind of enjoyed the weirdness of Bill's new powers and how Jessica tried to deal with it, and I liked that for most of the season most people were busy with things other than trying to save Sookie.

The finale left a pretty sour taste and little of the news coming out after it is all that encouraging, but if I think back to the earlier episodes, I did enjoy it, and especially enjoyed Life Matters, Terry's funeral episode..

ChicagoRedshirt

ChicagoRedshirt

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2013 @ 5:25 PM

I'll second the notion that there should be a show bible. But even without one, a lot of the problems could have been solved if the writers put some thought into how the premises they started might play out.

Last season, we had the Authority take center stage, which was supposed to be for vampires a combination of the White House and the Vatican combined. We had massive slaughter among the leaders of the Authority -- basically of the 5 or so chancellors who started the season, all but one were killed (if memory serves), two new ones were brought up in Eric and Bill, the sacred blood of Lilith was drained, an attack was perpetrated on the Authority that left numerous members dead, and tensions were fired up between vamps who wanted to treat humans as chattel and ones who wanted to mainstream. We didn't get anything about how the Authority actually worked, any reaction from the vamps to all this dramatic stuff, etc.

This season, the "A" word wasn't mentioned pretty much at all. Instead we focused on Vamp Camp. And again, nothing about how this prison for vampires was maintained with no real disorder that we saw.

In each case, the writers had the opportunity to go into some deep material, such as church/state tensions, the prison-industrial complex, what have you. They opted not to take it.

Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2013 @ 5:52 PM

I still really like the show.  

I wish it would go deeper.  I wish that Jason, in particular, would occasionally have a meaningful conversation with someone (like, for example, Sookie).  I wish that Sookie would use her freakin' telepathic powers like she should (what's wrong with her??)  I wish Sookie would occasionally have a conversation with someone about something.  

I like Bill.  I'm fine with more Bill.  I like Bill and Eric together.  I like all the cast from Season 1, I'm devoted like that.  

I think they could make a plot line about restoring the Authority, but I think they could also just jump into something entirely different (which is also fine with me).  I just want to see the writing serve the actors and the characters.  Give them something to DO.  I do agree that simply mailing Bill back to Sookie will be dullsville.  But, they totally screwed up this season as far as Sookie's love life is concerned and now they have to get her out of the very boring relationship with Alcide.

They will do that by shipping her back to Bill.  Sigh.  So, let's hope that plot like takes a back seat.  Jessica needs a new storyline (there's no reason for her to be standing outside Andy's house, unless she thinks Adelyn is going to escape, in which case...boy, I hope we can trust Jess).  Please show, don't have Jess fail again.  Jess is a hopeful beacon on the TB story arc, but she needs to carve out a new kind of life as a vampire.  Vampiress-protector of all humans and faes would be good.