Unintentionally Funny Movie Moments

• Please log in to reply

503 replies to this topic

Czerri

Czerri

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 7:03 AM

One of my favourite movie scenes of all time has to be Josh Hartnett dying in Ben Affleck's arms in Pearl Harbour. What makes it so brilliant? The moment Ben tells Josh he can't die because he's going to be a father. I laughed and laughed, and I don't even like mpreg.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 10:11 AM

Anakin Skywalker: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Anytime in a Death Wish movie where a character gets shot and goes flying through the air. Perhaps that was intentional, but I did not get that vibe.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 12:58 PM

Anakin Skywalker: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I've always said James Earl Jones can make anything sound dignified. I was proven wrong there.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 8:29 PM

There's always the classic from GF3: "Dad?"

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Nov 23, 2008 @ 12:54 AM

The entire Wicker Man remake.

Videostar

Videostar

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 23, 2008 @ 12:24 PM

Peter and MJ's breakup scene in Spiderman 3. Such hammy acting.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Nov 24, 2008 @ 12:22 AM

MJ and Harry dancing the twist while making omelettes.

roseredscared

roseredscared

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2008 @ 1:28 AM

The teaser trailer for Beverly Hills Chihuahua had my mother and I in tears of laughter for a solid three minutes. It was remarkably bizarre and weird and just... out there. I doubt the movie itself was that hilarious.

Edited by roseredscared, Nov 24, 2008 @ 1:29 AM.

Split Ends

Split Ends

Stalker

Posted Nov 24, 2008 @ 2:35 AM

I saw Enter the Dragon for the first time yesterday, and I was hysterical for pretty much the whole movie. Every time someone was punched or kicked, the extraordinarily loud smacking sound cracked me up.

Also, in Bram Stoker's Dracula, when Gary Oldman says, "I love you to much....to condemn you!" I always chuckle.

One last one. Sharon Stone's The Quick and The Dead. When she shot Gene Hackman in the finale and he flipped end over end, I died laughing. But what's much worse was when we got the little flashback of pre-teen Sharon Stone trying to save her daddy from the noose by shooting the rope, and accidentally shooting her daddy in the head instead, I couldn't help it. For some reason I saw that one in the theater, and a lot of other people laughed, too, so maybe I won't be so lonely in hell.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Nov 25, 2008 @ 4:37 PM

Armageddon was on TV today and oh man, I forgot how funny the Ben Affleck/Liv Tyler animal cracker scene was. Really, what is sexier then Ben playing with crackers on Liv's bare stomach? The cherry on top was Liv's daddy wailing "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing", during that scene.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Nov 25, 2008 @ 6:26 PM

But what's much worse was when we got the little flashback of pre-teen Sharon Stone trying to save her daddy from the noose by shooting the rope, and accidentally shooting her daddy in the head instead, I couldn't help it.

I never saw the movie but from your description, I started laughing. Admittedly I have a dark sense of humor, really dark, so I might not be the best source. But when some major dramatic moment sounds like a Python sketch, it's not going to elicit tears.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2008 @ 12:45 AM

Speaking of Sharon Stone!

Basic Instinct 2 is supposed to be sexy, but it is so SO funny. I'll just describe the opening scene because I had no intention of ever watching the movie, but it came on after something else and it was so hilarious that I had to watch the rest.

Super fast driving through the city streets at night and we get a TON of quick cuts of some cherry red (of course!) Lamborghini type car, the scenery flying by, Sharon Stone and some athletically "hot" guy in the passenger seat. She starts with "sex-eyes" and the guys is making the "Oh yeah!" face and we get a bunch of the quick cuts again. Then, she reaches into the guy's pants and starts jerking him off. Lamborghini! Buildings! Bad O faces! Trees! Streets! Maniacal Sharon Stone Face! The Shifter! More O Faces! Streets! Buildings! and so on.

Then, we see that our love birds are heading towards a bridge/overpass and athletically "hot" guy is about to get his happy ending. Then, Sharon stone drives the car off the bridge and into a lake and manages to make sure the guy is trapped by his seat belt while she swims out of the car in her fancy (and, IIRC, spangly dress) and no one notices anything. The next shot is a newspaper headline from the next morning that reads something like, "Star Footballer Dies in Tragic Crash."

And Sharon Stone's hair is unintentionally hilarious throughout the whole movie too.

Edited by hardy har, Nov 26, 2008 @ 12:45 AM.

Nagurikorosu

Nagurikorosu

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2008 @ 1:43 AM

Near the end of the Mummy Returns, there's this scene where Rick (Brenden Fraser's character) has defeated the Scorpion King (Dwyane Johnson). Then after a significant pause, Imhotep (Arnold Vosloo) comes running up into the scene, strikes a pose and cries, "NNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!" (The reason being is that whomever defeats the Scorpion King gets to control the army of Anubis.)

I looked everywhere to determine if that was some kind of gaffe that couldn't be fixed. But, no apparently, it was meant to be 5 seconds late or something. :D

Edited by Nagurikorosu, Nov 26, 2008 @ 10:23 AM.

scarymary

scarymary

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2008 @ 10:08 AM

Brad Pitt's death scene at the beginning of Meet Joe Black. I busted out laughing in the theatre, thinking it was a dream sequence or something. Seriously, how many cars did he get hit by?!? It was like watching a tennis match or something.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Nov 26, 2008 @ 7:24 PM

I second scarymary's choice. That is by far the most ridiculous single moment in the movie. (The entire movie suffers from outrageously lethargic editing too, which taken as a whole is as bad as the death scene.)

bluroses

bluroses

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2008 @ 10:49 AM

Taps, a 1981 movie with Tim Hutton, Sean Penn and Tom Cruise as Military cadets who seize control of their school to keep it from being shut down. The kids go up against the National Guard and things, of course, spiral out of control. It's pretty grim ... except for one moment.
Cruise's character (who becomes increasingly unhinged as the story goes on) is lifting weights in his room, being all broody and serious, while listening to... The Pointer Sisters? Singing "Slow Hand"?

Nothing against the Pointer Sisters, but I don't see this uber-intense guy working out to:

I want a lover with an easy touch
I want somebody who will spend some time
Not come and go in a heated rush
I want somebody who will understand
When it comes to love, I want a slow hand

Edited by bluroses, Dec 3, 2008 @ 11:13 AM.

praxithea

praxithea

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 9, 2008 @ 5:18 PM

Years ago I went to see Jesus's Son with Billy Crudup in the theater with my sister. It's a charming and dark little film about a young drug addict (Billy) and his drug addict girlfriend. Well, things don't go so well for the couple, what with the drugs and all, and the girlfriend ends up overdosing in their cheap little hotel room. That's not the funny part.

Billy ends up going on all these strange adventures after her death in order to get his life on track again and make a living. He has some mixed success there, but ends up going back to drugs from time to time and ruining his chances. Anyway, he finally ends up working in New Mexico somewhere at a facility that cares for the elderly. He's there and is asked to work with some of the residents and eventually befriends some as well as some staff.

One resident in particular is very difficult to work with. He's catastrophically paralyzed by MS or some other debilitating disease. He's a relatively young man at the facility who is angry and depressed about his condition when he receives a "Dear John" letter from his wife telling him that she can't handle his illness and is divorcing him. He reads this and starts to spasm in his wheelchair in anger and despair and Billy's character is staring at him, not knowing what to do, and in his VO he says, "That guy is fucked up."

Right or wrong, it was one of those weird moments that struck us as funny. My sister and I burst out laughing in the theater. Long and loud. We were the only ones laughing and were getting dirty looks from the other moviegoers, especially because 15 mintues later we were still trying to stifle hysterical giggles.

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 9:44 PM

There was one in Vacancy I thought was hilarious. Kate Beckinsale was trying to get the car to start, but first one of the bad guys runs up and dives headfirst through the sun roof. Then he gets stuck like that, she takes off, and we get her driving along with him upside down, legs sticking out of the top of the car and waving about. Then she crashes.

Or The Happening. Take your pick; the protagonists have to outrun the wind, Elliot dramatically discover's the old lady's life-size doll, plants are sentinent and want to kill us, the answer to this is to run into the countryside and stick to fields over roads, the protagonists decide to go out and commit suicide together only to have the Power Of LOVE! stop the plants at that exact moment and save them, and some really bad acting all around.

Edited by furrylump, Dec 15, 2008 @ 1:10 AM.

kyriebelle

kyriebelle

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 15, 2008 @ 11:46 AM

One of the funniest things I have ever seen was in the movie Titanic. You know the part where the boat is sinking and the front end goes up into the air so the boat is vertical in the water? There is a guy who goes flying down the boat and bounces off the propeller and then flies through the air like a rag doll. I don't know why, but that makes me laugh like a loon every time I watch it. I saw this movie in the theater and boy, were there some mad people sitting next to me as I laughed hysterically during this tramatic scene!

praxithea

praxithea

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 15, 2008 @ 5:29 PM

Actually, kyriebelle, I have a theory that the Titanic sunk not because of an iceberg, but because Kate and Leo had premarital sex in the back of a car! :D

absolutqt

absolutqt

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2008 @ 3:33 PM

Brad Pitt's death scene at the beginning of Meet Joe Black. I busted out laughing in the theatre, thinking it was a dream sequence or something.

Damn. And here, that same scene scarred me for life.

Here's one that I just saw last night:

The Accused. What could be funny about a viloent rape you may ask? Well, there's a scene where Jodi Foster stares in her bathroom mirror and chops all her hair off. After she emerges from the bathroom, her boyfriend looks up, sees her and asks, "What did you do? That looks weird!"

I don't know why but his delivery cracks me up everytime. It's been years since I saw that film and I giggled just like it was the first time.

roseredscared

roseredscared

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2008 @ 6:40 PM

The part in Batman Begins when Rachel (played by 17-year-old looking Katie Holmes at the time) just finishes a monologue about how the system works but as long as the good people do nothing Gotham can't be helped. Then Bruce (Christian Bale) sorta whispers that he's not one of her good people and shows her the gun he was going to use to shoot Joe Chill, the murderer of his parents. She glances down at the gun and without a change in expression feebly slaps him across the face than after a little pause and still no change in expression has a second thought and feebly slaps him again. I can't really pin point the exact reason why and I know it's suppose to be a low point for Bruce but I giggle every time.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Dec 16, 2008 @ 7:41 PM

The Time Machine (2002). I am not sure if it was supposed to be funny, but everyone in the theatre laughed when Alexander Hartdegen's wife died again. That it seemed to be part of the entire premise of the story made it even funnier as the movie went on.

That said, that cannot really compare with the 1960 version. Too many things...the lack of "rules" in the future, the scratching of the floor. It being made nearly fifty years ago is no excuse for how many silly moments there were.

One day, I might read the book, just to see if it was less dumb than the movies were.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Dec 16, 2008 @ 7:44 PM

The Time Machine (2002). I am not sure if it was supposed to be funny, but everyone in the theatre laughed when Alexander Hartdegen's wife died again.

Same here because it inspired me to think of him doing different ways to save his wife and her keep dying in sillier and sillier ways.

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted Dec 17, 2008 @ 10:28 AM

In The Return Of The King, I know three midget men rolling around in a bed while four other guys stand there watching and smiling was supposed to be heartwarming, but it's just too funny to me. The weird, worshipful way Elijah Wood shouts everyone's names doesn't help.

dcnative

dcnative

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 17, 2008 @ 11:25 AM

Speaking of Sharon Stone!

Basic Instinct 2 is supposed to be sexy, but it is so SO funny. I'll just describe the opening scene because I had no intention of ever watching the movie, but it came on after something else and it was so hilarious that I had to watch the rest.

Super fast driving through the city streets at night and we get a TON of quick cuts of some cherry red (of course!) Lamborghini type car, the scenery flying by, Sharon Stone and some athletically "hot" guy in the passenger seat. She starts with "sex-eyes" and the guys is making the "Oh yeah!" face and we get a bunch of the quick cuts again. Then, she reaches into the guy's pants and starts jerking him off. Lamborghini! Buildings! Bad O faces! Trees! Streets! Maniacal Sharon Stone Face! The Shifter! More O Faces! Streets! Buildings! and so on.

Then, we see that our love birds are heading towards a bridge/overpass and athletically "hot" guy is about to get his happy ending. Then, Sharon stone drives the car off the bridge and into a lake and manages to make sure the guy is trapped by his seat belt while she swims out of the car in her fancy (and, IIRC, spangly dress) and no one notices anything. The next shot is a newspaper headline from the next morning that reads something like, "Star Footballer Dies in Tragic Crash."

And Sharon Stone's hair is unintentionally hilarious throughout the whole movie too.

This is so true.

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2008 @ 2:18 AM

I have two....

In The Poseidon Adventure, right before he sacrifices himself so that the other passengers can live, Gene Hackman gives this very hammy speech to God, ending with him screeching "HOW MANY MORE LIVES?!" I don't know, but the way he says it always cracks my shit up and I use that line to this day, to the confusion of my family.

Sling Blade - The scene where Doyle throws his bandmates out of his girlfriend's house in a drunken rage....there was a guy in a wheelchair that said something and Doyle responded by calling him a little fucker, grabbing his wheelchair and shoving it (and the disabled guy) into a closed door....now, when I first saw this scene I didn't find it funny until I looked over at my friend (who is as Hell bound as I am for having such a sick sense of humor), who was silently crying and shaking from laughing so hard. Now whenever I see it I think of his crazy ass and giggle.

Edited by vixenstud, Dec 19, 2008 @ 2:22 AM.

BerryIsHere

BerryIsHere

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 19, 2008 @ 3:03 AM

Twilight's "THIS IS THE SKIN OF A KILLER!!" as he sparkles in the sun like he'd rolled around in body glitter

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Dec 19, 2008 @ 7:21 AM

Sling Blade - The scene where Doyle throws his bandmates out of his girlfriend's house in a drunken rage....

I wouldn't call that unintentionally funny. That scene seemed more darkly comedic.

kid

kid

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 20, 2008 @ 11:49 PM

One of the funniest things I have ever seen was in the movie Titanic. You know the part where the boat is sinking and the front end goes up into the air so the boat is vertical in the water? There is a guy who goes flying down the boat and bounces off the propeller and then flies through the air like a rag doll. I don't know why, but that makes me laugh like a loon every time I watch it. I saw this movie in the theater and boy, were there some mad people sitting next to me as I laughed hysterically during this tramatic scene!

Oh my goodness! I thought I was the only one that found that scene funny as hell. That along with the scene where Jack and Rose break down the door to escape and the steward was like "Hey, you'll have to pay for that, That White Star Line Property!" And Jack and Rose both say at the same time "SHUT UP!". It's s funny because this ship is sinking, people are trying to fight for their lives and all this guy cares about is that a stupid door was broken down.