Whale Wars: Greenpeace on Steroids

• Please log in to reply

1013 replies to this topic

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 9:10 AM

I think the SSCS would be better off if Watson and his ass kissing sidekick got kicked to the curb but that will never happen; which is sad.

bradybutkus

bradybutkus

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 10:09 AM

I would just like to echo, cissyboo and say that I am not pro-whaling rather anti-Watson. And because it can't be said enough Anti-Peter the weasel.

cissyboo

cissyboo

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2011 @ 9:01 PM

After the exciting clip show containing the best of the best from previous campaigns(which may or may not be recapped), we get this, the season finale (followed by the Lisa Ling interview special)! Hopefully it is more exciting than last week's rather dull episode. This just in! The Steve has bee released [url="http://<a%20href="http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/2011/08/02/sea-shepherds-flagship-vessel-the-steve-irwin-is-free-at-last-1272"%20target="_blank">http://www.seashephe...t-last-1272</a>"]from boat jail[/url], even though it seems they did not raise the entire bond amount.
That dratted war continues to rage, as it has for years and years, and the SS are the soldiers of Captain Asshat chosen to fight the battle. The previouslies include the Gojira and the Bob and the Nisshin. Five days later, the hunt is still stalled, and the fleet is 900 miles away from the fishing grounds. What are they doing? Cap'n Alex asks. Again, the SS may lose the fleet, because the Bob is running out of fuel (just like the Steve, and the Gojira, and the Ady Gil....is this a theme with the SSCS?). Billy sings.
The Steve is slowly chugging its way back to the battlefield. They have more gas, since they refueled. We get recaps of the escalation of the war, the buteric acid, the harpooning and crying, the sinking of the Ady Gil, and a brief highlight reel of this season. All while the Steve plugs along towards the Bob. The SS believe they are winning the war. The Steve is 1500 miles west of the Bob and the Nisshin, and is zipping along at top speed (13 knots?) so that it can catch the Nisshin before the Bob has to leave. Fat chance. And the fiberglass Gojira cannot go through the ice.
The phone on the Steve rings, it Capn Alex! He thinks the Nisshin plans to circumnavigate Antarctic, but they will have to pass through waters claimed by Chile. We get the Paul Watson version of the governments are all in a conspiracy to hinder the SSCS mission. Alex contacts Chilean government, against Watson's wishes (it seems). The Chilean government threatens to arrest the Nisshin Maru and crew if they enter Chilean waters. The conspiracy nutbags on board don't believe the government (that vast right wing conspiracy strikes again!), and will believe the Chilean Navy arrest thingy when they see it.
The Bob continues due east, running lower on fuel every second they plow through the ice. Chile is against whaling! Some dude is talking in Spanish to some body on the phone. The Nisshin turns, less than 1000 yds from Chilean waters, and heads back west. Bad news lurks-the new course has the ships heading into a bad storm. Of course, this is only to make life uncomfortable for the SS. The Japanese Press calls, and says that the Japanese are going to quit whaling. It's too dangerous for the whalers to operate. The SS believe (again) that it is a vast conspiracy against them. Helicopter Chris thinks that the news could be true.
This episode is just as boring, if not more so, than last weeks. At 25 minutes in, nothing has happened.
The Nisshin is not heading back to port, so, of course, it is all a big huge conspiracy. The Bob stays with the factory ship, hoping to not run out of gas. Maybe that's the evil plot of the whalers-have the Bob bobbing around disabled in the southern ocean-just like the Yushin Maru 3. The not terribly competent engineer, Campbell Holland, gives a fuel guesstimate to Capn Alex, and wants a guarantee not to be blamed if they run out of gas if the Capn continues the pursuit. The Steve is stuck in bad weather, and cannot continue towards the Bob-6-8 m swells, 70 knot wind gusts. Capn Alex says they will continue the pursuit of the Nisshin and damn the consequences. The Nisshin changes course to due north, and of course one of the interchangeable blondes says that they are “taunting” the SS. North is the direction of Japan, so it must be a trick!
Laura has been on the SS campaigns for 6 years. Heading north at 12.8 (?) knots, the factory ship trucks on through the icy storm. Capn Alex calls Capn Asshat, to inform the walrus-like one of the course change. Tokyo calling, it's the media-the Fisheries guy says that the whalers are being recalled to port. Again, Capn Asshat believes its a conspiracy, and the SS will continue to follow the vessels. Cheers and gloating on board the SS vessels. And crying-one of the blondes says she left her son behind to do this (way to put your family first!) Capn Alex announces the news to his crew. Similar reaction. The Japanese press release quotes the illegal harassment and attacks of the SSCS as part of their decision. Helicopter Chris is thrilled-he gets to go home to see his family! He and Laura have a conversation that is very boring. Laura is thrilled that their harassment and stuff caused the Japanese fleet to leave early. Paul Walrus gives a talking head of boringness. BLAH BLAH BLAH.
We return from break to an Australian news broadcast with Capn Asshat doing his media relations thing. Somehow, I don't think this episode is going to get any more exciting. Unless one of the ships gets attacked by Moby Dick. The ships all cross 60 degrees latitude, and this is the end of the season. Helicopter Chris gets the news article, and Locky reads another copy to his crew. These releases are all about how great SS is, and how their actions contributed to the departure of the whaling fleet (which it did), but the questionable nature of their actions is not addressed. Chris is happy that he gets to go home, and that his not being with his family was not in vain. This is the only job Helicopter Chris has had for 4 years (hopefully, he gets PAID for all the flying time). Lots more talking heads about how great it is, and how wonderful it is. And Peter Asskisser gets one last jab in against the whalers, thanking them for leaving the Southern Ocean. One good thing comes out of this-we may never be afflicted with the sight of Peter Hamarstaedt (or whatever) on our TVs in high def or regular def! (Not counting the Lisa Ling interview, of course).
Five more minutes until this is over, and I can get an adult beverage before enduring the self-congratulatory interview show! I don't think anything exciting is going to occur-this is the worst season (series?) finale EVER. Maybe the Bob will run out of gas. Maybe the Steve will crash into the Gojira. Maybe the whales will sink ALL the SS vessels. Mouthbreathing on deck, Watson gives a little voice over, and then we enter the Lisa Frank Dreamscape for the Asshat thank you speech to the volunteers (who he calls pirates).
It's late February, and the season has ended 6 weeks early. So Paul goes to the Bay of Whales as a treat for his crew-they see penguins and seals, but very few whales. Cries of “wow” and stuff ring out as we end the most boring season of Whale Wars in the history of ever.
The Nisshin returned to port with 172 whales on board. Mal says that Paul is an inspirational leader-maybe for the incompetents on his ships, but in the real world, what he does is not good leadership. Paul gives an inspirational speech. The tsunami hits, and the Nisshin is used as a relief vessel. We close with Asshat striding across the ice, giving his overused spiel about no healthy whale population and no healthy oceans. The closing credits include panning over the faces of several crewmen and a whale.

Grimes

Grimes

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 12, 2011 @ 9:55 PM

When did Lisa Ling become softball Larry? She didn't ask one tough question. Get Piers to do the interview next time, it would have been 100x more entertaining than an hour of sucking up to Watson and crew.

To me the most telling answer of the night is that they would choose 'passionate' amateurs over real professionals. That is the Sea Idiots in a nutshell, literally.

Mysteris

Mysteris

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2011 @ 10:46 PM

You know, it's strange. Much as I mock the Sea Shepherd crews week in and week out, I was actually feeling a little choked up for them when they confirmed that whaling was done for the year. They're just so excitable aren't they? It's cute.

For some reason Captain Asshat doesn't strike me as being exceptionally enthused about the end of whaling. The speech he gave was anemic compared to Chris Aultman's.

Peter Asskisser just had to get that parting shot at the Nisshin Maru, didn't he? One last chance to feel like a big man, eh Pete?

That last graphic shot of dead whales was unexpected and gruesome. Still, it was good to learn that the Nisshin Maru was of some help in disaster relief after the earthquake and tsunami.

I'm glad that in the War Stories special, Chris defended his decision to get some freaking sleep when he needed it and held his line about the need to be at his best to preserve his helicopter crew. And that he explained why he hasn't been doing aerial drops on the whaling vessels.

I wonder what Watson will do without this show? Sure, he talks about continuing the campaign and fighting other forms of ocean depredation, which is good, but the lack of seeing his smug mug on TV each week has got to be a massive blow to his ego. Good to see that the rest of them have found a passion. Hopefully they'll get some training to go with it, and make themselves more effective and efficient.

So no more Fail Wars. *sigh* What to snark on now? Well, at least they were, in spite of themselves, successful.

dfwabel

dfwabel

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 12, 2011 @ 11:40 PM

Ling got soft since her sis was in North Korea. That aside, my initial thought on the recap show was this.

'Doesn't Capt. A$$hat know that black is more slimming than that off-white mess he wore'? I still root for the Japanese since they are using better strategy and it seems that a requirement for Sea Shepherd is a good pair of binoculars for TV effect.

blu2u

blu2u

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 13, 2011 @ 12:20 AM

That and a BIG Friggin wallet dfwabel!! Yeah those numbnuts gotta pay to go with Admiral Asshat on his little Southern Ocean Tours.

Ohh they'll be back. Norway (I think, or Denmark) takes more whales the past few years than Japan ever did. of course I dont think Admiral Asshat has a racial bias for them like he does for those folks from the land of the Rising Sun.

Cissy..God love ya gal! You're the bestest ever! How's the wrist??

Lordy, I'd have loved it if after Peter Asskisser made his little sore winners big talking farewell speech to the Nishin Maru that they'd have turned back and started doing circles around the SS Rustbucket errr iI mean Bob Barker. Asskisser probably would have fainted or peed his pants worrying what they might do to him.
What a friggin little dweeb. I absolutely cannot stand him, or AA!

BTW That Lisa Ling fiasco was pathetic.

Edited by blu2u, Aug 14, 2011 @ 1:30 PM.

cissyboo

cissyboo

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2011 @ 7:49 AM

The wrist is not too bad this morning. I'm not sure if the clip show and the interview show are worth recapping. Maybe next year we will get to see the Capn and his band of "enthusiastic amateurs" go up against the Faroese and the pilot whale hunt in the North Atlantic, or the Maltese and bluefin tuna in the Med. Or we may get lucky and see them chased out of Namibia by the government....

pasdetrois

pasdetrois

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2011 @ 8:35 AM

Glad to see that the campaigns finally paid off with a halt to whaling by the Japanese. I'm glad for Chris, the Holland brothers, Pottsy, the young woman who has been on every campaign and all the SSers who just got on with it over the years and have made a difference. Good for you.

The Ling interview was just weird.

bradybutkus

bradybutkus

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 13, 2011 @ 12:09 PM

I think the most interesting thing for me last night was wondering where the weasel Peter was during the Lisa Ling thing. He is such a little fame whore, I was shocked he wasn't on the panel. Is he in trouble? I hope so!

blu2u

blu2u

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 13, 2011 @ 1:17 PM

I was wondering the exact same thing Brady.

I think I might have seen him though I swear one time I saw him under Admiral Asshat's Chair with his lips puckered.

Mysteris

Mysteris

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2011 @ 3:50 PM

I think I might have seen him though I swear one time I saw him under Admiral Asshat's Chair with his lips puckered.

Wouldn't surprise me. Speaking of weasels, it's a good thing Lisa Ling didn't bring that assclown Peter Brown back for his perspective. The last thing the world needs is more of that jackhole.

bradybutkus

bradybutkus

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 14, 2011 @ 9:10 AM

I can't believe Lisa Ling didn't ask Potsie to talk about how the Bob got 13 hours away from them while he was becoming hypothermic in the little boats. I know I would have.

blu2u

blu2u

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 14, 2011 @ 1:04 PM

Oh Lord!! Peter Brown, Mr.'"Don't tell me Port or Starboard, just say left or right" Boat driver hisself.

Brady , don't mean to argue but I believe they were 5 hours away (approx 60miles @12 mph) as I recall. Still, I have no idea how that happened unless they were too busy celebrating their escape from those evil Japanese whalers and passing the doobie to remember the little boats weren't back.

It was painfully obvious that Lisa L was far too enamored by the "cool" of the SSCS, and their bat boats and gadgets to ever bring up anything negative. Holy Carp that was awful! I felt like I was watching a 1hour SSCS sponsorship infomercial!

Edited by blu2u, Aug 14, 2011 @ 1:21 PM.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2011 @ 1:31 PM

I too felt that Lisa Ling's interview was very softball. But it seems that most journalism is that today. No one wants to ask the tough questions because if they do they won't get the next interview. No one wants to be interviewed by someone they perceive as snarky and negative.

cissyboo

cissyboo

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2011 @ 2:11 PM

It took the Bob 5 hours to get back to the teeny boats, by which time the itty bitty boat crews had been out, mostly stationary, for over 13 hours.

It was painfully obvious that Lisa L was far too enamored by the "cool" of the SSCS, and their bat boats and gadgets to ever bring up anything negative. Holy Carp that was awful! I felt like I was watching a 1hour SSCS sponsorship infomercial!

Like the stupidity of using non-ice-rated vessels in Antarctic ice-filled waters? Even the Bob isn't rated for that kind of ice. IIRC it was originally a North Atlantic whaling vessel, and has a sorta-reinforced hull. And the Bob can get into trouble in ice...steaming full speed (12 knots) into the ice to chase a 28 knot vessel (also going full steam).

bradybutkus

bradybutkus

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 15, 2011 @ 9:28 AM

Thanks, cissyboo. I knew 13 hours came in there somewhere. I still want to know what the party line is for how they got so far away.

cissyboo

cissyboo

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2011 @ 11:49 AM

I still want to know what the party line is for how they got so far away.

They were so excited by the opportunity to get away from the whalers! I wouldn't be surprised if the party line is to blame the small boat crew that damaged the one boat so that it couldn't be driven.

cissyboo

cissyboo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:36 AM

Months later, it's time to resurrect the thread! Tonight, the SS Captain Asshat tries to stop Faroese fishermen from killing whales in a yearly event known as "the grind", which is really really disturbing. Not sure I can watch this one, since it's a fairly stationary hunt, compared to the SSs chasing fruitlessly after the Japanese.

irvington

irvington

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 1:39 AM

Yes, we almost turned off the Faroe Island one given the hinted at gore, but after the first few minutes it was over, for now at least. It was an interesting episode -- more interaction with the Faroese about their view of the situation than we've ever had with the Japanese. Although the grind looks gruesome, I found myself a bit uncomfortable with the cultural imperialism aspects. In Antarctica, it seems so far from Japan that that aspect is a bit muted for me. On the other hand, I usually think of Scandanavians as ultra-evolved so it was interesting to see them defending these kills.

I'm now watching the Libya version -- Operation Bluefin.

charlesmartel

charlesmartel

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

I just finished watching Operation Bluefin and I have a few thoughts. First, THAT'S how you foul a prop. Second, I hope Captain Watson and his sea thugs lose the lawsuit. They had zero proof that those fish were harvested out of season.

cissyboo

cissyboo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 7:59 PM

I was sort of paying attention to the Tuna thing, because the cutting of the net cage thingy was what got the Steve Irwin or maybe the Bob thrown in boat jail, preventing the big boat from going to the Faroes for the hunt (or part of it).
Info starts back at post 768 or so.

Edited by cissyboo, Apr 28, 2012 @ 8:02 PM.

lanorigb

lanorigb

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

I'm assuming it's ok to post here about the new offshoot of Whale Wars, "Northern Shores". I was pretty horrified of the initial footage of the islanders slaughtering the whales, especially the pictures shown in the "2 Minutes" book. Honestly though, the Faroe Islanders made some good points brought up in a book I read about a year ago called, "Eating Animals". Why is it ok to eat cows, pigs and chickens, most of whom are subjected to horrible conditions throughout their short lifespan on factory farms but not a wild animal which has lived a happy existence? The Islanders claim to kill the whales as humanely as possible so they bleed to death within 2 minutes. Not saying I could chow down on a whale, but it gave me some perspective. That said, I do admire those crazy hippies for living vegan and trying to make a difference. Does anyone know if Sea Sheperd does anything on land such as protest factory farms or Monsanto?

Edited by lanorigb, Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:28 PM.

pasdetrois

pasdetrois

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

I enjoyed something different than the usual miles of ocean, cramped ship quarters, and Japanese whalers. It's difficult to address the issues face-to-face, vs. flinging about in a little boat and throwing prop foulers. I work in North American whaling communities sometimes, and they eat animals because it's difficult to grow tomatoes and beans in places as frozen as Barrow, Alaska. Yes, there's always tofu, but practically speaking most people aren't gonna eat it. You can ship food in, but it's unbelievably expensive.

I'm against whaling and find the cove slaughters especially horrifying, but I've found that shouting back and forth at a meat-eater rarely goes anywhere. I enjoy watching whether animal rights campaigns have any success long-term.

Looks like things are going to get out of hand, with the Faorese attempting to board the Sea Shepherds' vessels.

303george

303george

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

Operation Bluefin-

They got frustrated that they couldn't catch any of the bluefin poachers red-handed, and that the authorities didn't want anything to do with them, so they took out their frustrations on a boat that, for all they (and we) know, had a perfectly legal catch of fish. Totally outrageous and unacceptable. But I guess they had the toys, and the cameras rolling, so they felt they had to do something. Then Capt. Paul goes back to citing the "UN Charter for Nature" (we haven't heard that since the first season) which in no way gives the SS any sort of legal authority to destroy property in the name of "justice." Even Lockhart (who seems like the most likeable and competent of the bunch) got into the act by threatening one of the boats with a "letter from the EU."

Operation Viking Shores:

This who episode seemed a bit set-up. Both sides were looking for a minor confrontation, and got one. Unless things are so boring in the Faroe Islands that the locals routinely just show up on the docks to gawk at the ships and barbecue whale blubber. And what's with the head of the hunting party? If you want people to think your hunt is civilized and humane, don't use the whale's blood as war paint.

I am still confused as to why the SS are engaging in this action. In the realm of environmental crimes and animal "abuse" I can think of far worse things. This is a small group of people hunting a non-endangered species which they will then eat themselves. No one is getting rich off this, this isn't going to somehow spread to the rest of Europe. As has been said, the conditions in your average pig or chicken processing plant are far worse and on a far larger scale.

Sirhiggins

Sirhiggins

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 5:17 PM

They all have an insane look in their eyes....it's really fucking creepy.

Sleepyhead Case

Sleepyhead Case

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

That slaughter was one of the most horrifying things I've seen in a while. Like shooting fish in a barrel. I don't know. I'm torn with the whole cultural thing. I hope they don't slaughter and do nothing with them. That would be even sicker to me. If they're snacking on them like the "Hitler was a vegetarian" dude was, maybe I would be sort of OK with it. Barely, though. Ugh I can't get that image out of my head.

shriekingeel

shriekingeel

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

It gets my eyes rolling a bit when the Faraoese whale kill is called "genocide" on this show, while on Animal Planet's sister channel Discovery, in shows like Human Planet and Flying Wild Alaska, we are treated to sympathetic portraits of Inuit whale hunts.

dfwabel

dfwabel

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 6:12 PM

Episode 2 had one glaring (therefore comical) thing for me to hear from the narrator and I am not sure if the writer is a SS employee or not.

The narrator said that it was a "covert operation", yet the leader in the Faroe Islands was the person who draws immediate attention to her due to her complexion! She may be a good worker for the Paul, but really her to be in control of the operations there? She instantly looks out of place, then add her wearing of a Sea Shepherd zip-up hoodie, and you are clearly visible. I deleted the episode from my DVR, so I so not know her name.

303george

303george

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 6:11 PM

The whole "covert operation" was a bit of joke. They are being followed by cameras, on a small island where outsiders probably stick out just a bit. Plus what was the point of going on the ferry boat?

There have to be some people in the Faroe Islands who oppose the hunt. They should find them and cultivate relationships with them as they will be able to tip them off as to when a hunt is going to occur. The problem is that because their tactics are so bizarre, that even locals who agree with them in principle may not want to help them.

As for the hunters themselves, they claim that they need the whales to feed themselves, but this doesn't appear to be a subsistence society like what you have in native villages in Alaska. Plus, the only whale meet we ever see them eating is small slivers of dried meat, hardly what you would base your diet on. In Barrow, Alaska (worth a trip if you can get up there, in summer) you literally see large pieces of whale, seal, and caribou meat hanging in front of most of the houses and you can tell that they are getting major amounts of their family's food from these stocks.

Personally, I eat beef, chicken, pork, veal, all kinds of fish, etc. The slaughter of the whales is tough to watch, but I suspect so would be the slaughter of cattle or chickens. So I feel I would be a hypocrite to support killing cows and pigs, but not whales.

Edited by 303george, May 7, 2012 @ 6:12 PM.