Love Bites: Relationships

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

707 replies to this topic

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2008 @ 3:04 PM

I thought would create a thread to discuss the various relationships romantic, familial, or platonic.

Right now I am most fascinated by Tara and her relationship with her mother. Tough love can be a good thing but I think her mother took things too far. It's not like Tara's drunk driving everyday. It's her first offense right? So why not bail her out? I think Tara's mother makes selfish decisions. She's worried Tara's behavior is a threat to her sobriety. She doesn't want to deal with conflict or problems. She wants things as easy as possible, and Tara isn't an easy person.

I think Sookie has been a crappy friend to Tara. So far I've seen Tara be the supportive friend and Sookie's so self centered she only sees her own problems. That self centered behavior also pours into Sookie's relationships with Bill and Sam. Bill's gone a few days and she's ready to drop him even though he risked himself on her behalf. I was on board with Bill/Sookie but now I want him to move on. And I like Sam but I don't like who he is around Sookie. Sam and Sookie as friends works for me cause there were moments while they looked into the murder where I really enjoyed their interaction. But for romance I prefer Sam and Tara. They are both messed up in a way that works. Sam wants to love Tara but can't get over Sookie. Tara wants Sam because he loves Sookie and is safely emotionally unavailable, but I think she's terrified that the sex might turn into an actual relasionship. Both Sam and Tara seem to fall into patterns of self sabatoge.

I'd like to see more of Sookie and her platonic relationships because I want a break from the triangle. I hope we see some good Jason and Sookie interaction. He seems so shattered with Amy's death and needs his sister.

Also I'd love more Eric and Bill scenes. I want to know more of their history.

Edited by Luckylyn, Nov 17, 2008 @ 3:09 PM.

vivaldi

vivaldi

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 17, 2008 @ 6:37 PM

Thanks for this thread. There are just so many relationships to explore on this show that I think we've only seen the surface of it so far.

I admit my favorite relationship is Bill and Sookie. I loved them in the books and still do on the show.

Thanata

Thanata

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 17, 2008 @ 10:50 PM

Great thread
I am still also riding the Sookie and Bill wagon in a big way, the main reason why I stay glued to TB.
My second fave relationship is between not-quite-kissing-cousins Tara (hooker!) and Lafayette (you ugly bitch!). Great chemistry.

I hope we see some good Jason and Sookie interaction. He seems so shattered with Amy's death and needs his sister.

As she needs her brother now, too - they have been needlessly alienating each other, especially after Gran died. Amy seemed to be the only one to cut through the crap and recognize their fragile bond, trying to finesse their reconciliation from both sides.

Sam/Sookie bothers me on so many levels: boss/employee, Bill/Tara, designated protector/vulnerable damsel in distress, shapeshifter/telepath, fangbanger/vampire antagonist; you name it. The fact that Sookie & Sam were so adorable and relaxed together when sleuthing out the killer makes this even worse.

iliveTV

iliveTV

Fanatic

• Interests:Tv, movies, kids...you know stuff.

Posted Nov 17, 2008 @ 11:17 PM

I think Sookie has been a crappy friend to Tara. So far I've seen Tara be the supportive friend and Sookie's so self centered she only sees her own problems

IA, Tara just needs someone to be there for her. I suppose that's what made her so eager to trust Maryann.

I'm hard core Bill/Sookie. I want this relationship to get further explored on a emotional and physical level.

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2008 @ 10:05 AM

they have been needlessly alienating each other, especially after Gran died. Amy seemed to be the only one to cut through the crap and recognize their fragile bond, trying to finesse their reconciliation from both sides.

I think Amy's death and Jason's imprisonment will hopefully be what brings Sookie and Jason together. I think they need eachother even if they don't always realize it. I think Jason understands he needs his sister but Sookie doesn't because he's shown himself to be shallow and unreliable. But Jason has more heart than I would have thought.

Sookie's shown so much immaturity. I can't get back on board with her and Bill together until she grows up a bit and gets less self centered. If it ends up with Bill taking action to prove he is worthy to get Sookie back, I will be irratated cause she's the one who needs to prove herself this time. I want a reconciliation where she apoligizes to Bill for her lack of faith in him because he didn't deserve that.

As for Sam and Sookie, maybe they're destined to be like John and Chiana from Farscape. Platonic friends who spark with eachother but just won't go there. There is chemistry there but when it gets romantic they bring out the worst in each other. I like them as friends.

Antigone14

Antigone14

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2008 @ 5:47 PM

Again, I chalk a lot of this up to bad writing at the expense of the Sookie character. She's been an incredibly indiscreet blabbermouth these last few episodes. After Bill told her that she was the ONLY one who knew where he rested during the daytime she blabs to Rene and Hoyt that he slept in the ground at the cemetery after the Tacky Trio's visit. By comparison she was the soul of discretion at Fangtasia -- although she acted like a 10 year old visiting an amusement park.

As for Bill not warning Sookie when he took her to Fangtasia -- let's not forget that they pointed out several times in the episode that Pam, Eric and Long Shadow all pointedly said they hadn't seen Bill for a long time since he'd been mainstreaming. Also, we haven't gotten a lot of Bill's backstory other than the fact that he's a loner. Sookie seems to be his first real relationship -- human or vamp in awhile, so it's just possible he's a little slow on interactions -- not to mention vamps are supposed to be secretive. At least that's what I thought until Eric announced to everyone in Merlotte's that they had to get to the Tribunal. Again, another bit of sloppy and inconsistent writing...

I'm convinced the writers are making Sookie look stupid merely as a plot device to advance the S/Ls -- this is sloppy lazy writing.

As for the Bill/Eric relationship, Bill definitely dislikes and is chafing under Eric's "rules" but he's stuck with him and he knows it. Eric, OTOH is relishing his power trip. Bill and Sookie have trouble everywhere they turn -- individually and as a couple. They'd better at least have them reconcile in this episode, since I'm sure they're going for the cliche cliffhanger of Bill sizzling in the sunlight.

Edited by Antigone14, Nov 19, 2008 @ 5:53 PM.

artgal

artgal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 19, 2008 @ 6:19 PM

WHY is Sookie angry at Bill?

When Bill and Sookie were talking in bed after that horrible night at Fangtasia, Sookie said she had to keep the blame on herself or she would be really mad at Bill. I think in Bill's absence and with the continuing threat to her life, Sookie has been unable to keep the blame on herself anymore. When she was looking at herself in the mirror at Fangtasia, when she was covered in Longshadows blood, she had the same look on her face as when she was cleaning up Gran's blood. It was look that I thought implied that she was trying to suppress all her feelings about what was happening. I think the feelings have now come up and she is projecting on Bill. Hopefully, she will move past this in the last episode.

Chachi30

Chachi30

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 1:27 AM

This show is bugging the shit out of me. Does Bill not have a single flaw? Really? So he gets to do all of the heroic and/or chivalrous things all by his lonesome? Book!Bill is possibly the most boring creature in the universe to me, and the only thing that saves him for me is the fact that he has flaws. Is AB really so desperate for us to like him that Bill has to get up on his high horse about fucking everything, all the while giving him all of the other characters' "Sookie savings"? I'm still wanting to cut a bitch over him declaring that he'd rather be kept in the silver-lined coffin instead of turn Jessica into a vampire. Please. Why not just give him a fucking halo or make him "sparkle"? Jesus.

I love book!Sam, and I actually want him to be the one to end up with Sookie. I also love the actor who plays Sam, but the whole dynamic of tv!Sam/Sookie is off to me. I don't want to keep harp on the books, because I know the show is an entirely different entity (and I'm okay with that), but I actually only read all the books two weeks ago because I was enjoying the show so very much. Now I'd really rather I hadn't read them. The books are not perfect, but I enjoyed the relationships so much more in the books.

I am not necessarily disappointed in the story that AB wants to tell, but the way he makes the core characters so much less interesting, while making the peripheral characters 800x more interesting is frustrating. My favorite thing about the books is how you can kind of root for any of the men (Sam/Bill/Eric/maybe even Quinn) because they all have something redeeming about them. It's not so cut and dry. I wish AB will kind of explore that duality that we sometimes have where we love different people for different reasons, and we have the ability to love more than one person at a time. Sometimes we need different people at different points in our lives because the holes we need to fill aren't all the same shape. That is one of the most fascinating things about the characterizations in the books, and I am disappointed that it's not being explored.

Since Bill is the most perfect, selfless creature in AB's Sookieverse (insert my eyes rolling here), Sookie and Bill are the least interesting relationship on the show for me. Tara and her mother, Tara and Lafayette, Sam and Tara, Bill and Eric, Pam and Eric - all far more interesting to me.

bawlmermd

bawlmermd

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 7:49 AM

Sookie's shown so much immaturity. I can't get back on board with her and Bill together until she grows up a bit and gets less self centered. If it ends up with Bill taking action to prove he is worthy to get Sookie back, I will be irratated cause she's the one who needs to prove herself this time. I want a reconciliation where she apoligizes to Bill for her lack of faith in him because he didn't deserve that.

Word! I was hardcore on the Bill/Sookie love train, but not so much anymore. I'm sold on Bill's love for Sookie esp with what is hinted at in the previews at the end of the last episode, but I'm not sold on hers for him......yet.

Edited by bawlmermd, Nov 20, 2008 @ 7:49 AM.

slavetolove

slavetolove

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 10:27 AM

I wish AB will kind of explore that duality that we sometimes have where we love different people for different reasons, and we have the ability to love more than one person at a time. Sometimes we need different people at different points in our lives because the holes we need to fill aren't all the same shape. That is one of the most fascinating things about the characterizations in the books, and I am disappointed that it's not being explored.

I love your comment here, primarily because that is exactly what I believe I have been watching. I think Alan Ball is showing us these dualities in all the characters.

I think Sookie's reaction to Bill, and his wild and dangerous world, are an example of loving some parts of someone, but not all. I think that's partially why she is struggling right now, and why Sam's (somewhat) normalcy is attractive to her when she is feeling scared and freaked out by Bill and his vampire politics. Sam is what she needed at that time, consistency and security. I think the violence she saw in Bill when he attacked Sam (I believe first time she has seen this side of him?) took her by surprise. Sam's comment of "now you see what he's really like" (paraphrased) emphasized this different side of Bill that Sookie may have a hard time accepting. (She doesn't know about Uncle Molester's demise yet). I think we will begin to see more levels of Bill's imperfections and struggles next season.

ejs70

ejs70

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 12:47 PM

For me, the Bill+Sookie relationship is boring. I'm rooting for Sam +Tara. Love them as a couple, both are damaged goods, perfect for each other...and the chemistry between Sam and Rutina is just amazing.

Lesbonaut

Lesbonaut

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 1:08 PM

When Bill and Sookie were talking in bed after that horrible night at Fangtasia, Sookie said she had to keep the blame on herself or she would be really mad at Bill. I think in Bill's absence and with the continuing threat to her life, Sookie has been unable to keep the blame on herself anymore.

I think this is very smart and it hadn't occurred to me till you pointed it out, artgal.

In recent episodes I've been frustrated by Sookie's immaturity—telling Hoyt and Rene about where Bill slept, for example, was utterly stupid and lovestruck. But oddly enough, in this latest episode she seemed quite reasonable to me again. I totally bought that she could be adrift enough in her life to see Sam as a reliable protector as opposed to Bill. I'm not a big fan of Sam since he's done too many bad doggie things, but he loves Sookie like a faithful dog, too. It's clear that Bill loves Sookie, but from Sookie's perspective, Bill freaking out about her kiss with Sam, and acting like the other crazy threatening vampires that she's seen in his company, would most certainly cause her to defend Sam and push Bill away. She doesn't know anything about the trial or whatever...She adored Bill and he had promised to protect her—and then poof he was gone with the vamps. And apparently, unbeknownst to Sookie, they took Bill's cell phone away from him, too! ITA with the poster who said that if Bill had managed to stand there quietly seething till Sam and Sookie noticed him, it would have been awkward but she would have welcomed him back. But Bill did not behave like a gentleman in this case, and I kind of surprised myself with how much I sided with Sookie this time. But I think she still loves him, and Bill will come back calmer in the finale and make things right. Cause ultimately, Sam can't hold a candle (or a bone) to Bill in the sex appeal department: "I am vampyre!"

elixir

elixir

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 1:16 PM

But Bill did not behave like a gentleman in this case

Bill's reaction was very human given the situation. I don't know many guys who would walk in on their significant other, see her kissing another and calmly wait until the kiss was over to politely discuss the situation. Especially given that he's been gone for 2 days online, not by choice and not for fun.

Lesbonaut

Lesbonaut

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 1:51 PM

Bill's reaction was very human given the situation.

Not that I want to be Sookie's defender, particularly, or belabor the point, but instantly baring fangs for attack and flying at someone doublespeed is not a human reaction at all. I think this is part of why Sookie got so mad. She's been away from the vamp drama for several days (though granted she's been attacked by a human killer in the interim) and I think she's just sick of the danger and violence in her life. I don't see Sookie as Bill's "significant other" yet, either. They've known each other for a week or two and have had intense romantic mindblowing sex, but no promises of fidelity have been made by either of them. I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't see the Sam/Sookie kiss as a big deal at all—though I can see why it tripped Bill's kill switch. He's taking this "She is mine" stuff like the extremely pre-feminist Civil War veteran he is. I don't fault him for that, either—for a 173-year-old, he's certainly no male supremacist. I'm just saying that IMO Sookie's reaction to Bill in this situation was not unreasonable, childish, or out of character.

elixir

elixir

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 1:54 PM

I don't think her reaction was unreasonable, but the kiss was. When I said that Bill's reaction was "human", I only meant that I understand where he is coming from. I believe any man in the situation vampire or human would react strongly and without thinking of the consequences.

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 3:16 PM

I don't think Bill's been written too perfect. He has issues with his temper like with the cop after they went to fangtasia the first time, killing Sookie's uncle or attacking Sam. The fact that he's a vampire makes him very different in how he may choose to handle to situations. I think his feelings are humanlike but the reactions are vampire like. I think it's his nature to go too far sometimes and that has the potential to be scary. He's a good man but not perfect. Another flaw is that his discomfort with his nature makes him a little morose and sometimes clumsy like how he never seems to know just how to handle Eric who always has the upperhand over Bill.

Although Sookie and Bill haven't formally agreed to be exclusive I don't think it's unjustified that Bill was upset to see her kissing Sam after he'd only be gone a couple of days suffering on her behalf. I know that if the situation was reversed and Sookied walked in on Bill kissing another woman she would have a strong angry reaction. Sometimes jealousy can't be helped. Attacking Sam is going too far but isn't unforgiveable.

Edited by Luckylyn, Nov 20, 2008 @ 3:21 PM.

Jolie Blanc

Jolie Blanc

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 7:53 PM

So, I started rewatching the episodes from the very beginning last night in preparation for the finale (I know, tough job) -- and it really struck me how innocent Sookie was. She was -completely- naive about what the vampire world was like, and treated Bill with total courtesy and not a small amount of fascination. She was completely open to him, even before he saved her life.

And then you look at Bill, who spends most of the first two episodes studying her as if she was some kind of exotic butterfly - beautiful, fascinating, fragile, and completely not what he was expecting. But it seems clear to me at least that there is something more going on with him than just running into a barmaid at a bar and thinking she's cute. The way he's so focused on finding out what she is, for example.

Couple that with the "that sounds like an edict" hints throughout the rest of the episodes, and it looks to me like Bill had some kind of ulterior motive with regard to Sookie -- and she gave him her trust, completely. Her life before him may not have been perfect, but it was safe, and she had her gran, and had she known what dealing with vampires might ultimately lead to I don't know that she would've accepted a relationship with him.

In some ways, despite what he might be feeling, Bill brought all of that into Sookie's life. If it was an accident -- if their meeting was just a random meeting, and the developing feelings between them is what's responsible, then it's tragic. But if it -wasn't- an accident, if he somehow had another reason to find this girl, then that adds an entirely new layer into the relationship, one that's fundamentally dishonest, and heartbreaking. She might love him, he might love her, but if he came into her life knowing that he brought danger and death, I don't think the feelings really mitigate the deliberate choice on his part that caused her to lose so much.

Just my rambling, anyway. I really love SM's portrayal of Bill - he's so very clearly torn between motives, and he's just fascinating to watch. And poor Sookie is taking a beating on the forums right now, but her world has literally been spun around like a top in a few short weeks. No wonder she's acting kind of schizophrenic. If I were in her shoes, I would run the hell away - her conversation in 1x11 with Sam about going to the gulf and lying in the sun should say a lot about where she's at right now, personally. She's terrified, and confused, and tired, and she doesn't know what the heck to do with this mess that her life has become.

I don't know that it's really the best state to be romantic with someone in, let alone your very first relationship with someone, who happens to be a vampire.

Edited by Jolie Blanc, Nov 20, 2008 @ 7:54 PM.

OrchidLady

OrchidLady

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 8:33 PM

Jolie Blanc: In some ways, despite what he might be feeling, Bill brought all of that into Sookie's life. If it was an accident -- if their meeting was just a random meeting, and the developing feelings between them is what's responsible, then it's tragic. But if it -wasn't- an accident, if he somehow had another reason to find this girl, then that adds an entirely new layer into the relationship, one that's fundamentally dishonest, and heartbreaking. She might love him, he might love her, but if he came into her life knowing that he brought danger and death, I don't think the feelings really mitigate the deliberate choice on his part that caused her to lose so much.

Even if there is a secret reason Bill became involved with Sookie which is still speculation at this point, the violence he's brought into her life could not have been known by him in advance. The Bon Temps killer struck for the first time on the night he and Sookie met, so he couldn't have known there was a killer stalking women involved with vampires. That connection only became possible after Dawn and only really certain after Gran (miss her). He didn't even know the Tacky Trio were going to come to his house, so again that unpleasantness was unplanned. I do agree that when she wanted to go to Fangtasia he did have an obligation to warn her about Eric and what attracting his attention might embroil her in. Still how could he suspect Longshadow was stealing, Erik would call on Sookie and Longshadow would try to kill her right there w/o Eric lifting a finger to stop it?

Now OTOH, in "Mine" I was on Sookie's side in her saying she didn't want to see him anymore - also after the cop glamouring incident. Her reactions were self-protective and reasonable considering what she was seeing about the vamp world. Maybe if Gran hadn't been killed she would have kept her will-power and stayed away from Bill. I'm one of the ones being hard on her (or her characterization lately) but mainly because it's so inconsistent with who I already understood her to be.

tvjunkie23

tvjunkie23

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 8:37 PM

If I were in her shoes, I would run the hell away - her conversation in 1x11 with Sam about going to the gulf and lying in the sun should say a lot about where she's at right now, personally. She's terrified, and confused, and tired, and she doesn't know what the heck to do with this mess that her life has become.

I didn't really think about it but you may be right. She couldn't really run away because there's a killer after her and she cannot be alone because that would make her vulnerable to the killer.

Having Sam around to protect her is all fine and good but I do think that with a killer on the loose and Sookie being emotionally and mentally unstable AND sending signals all over the place, Sam could have tried to control himself and just offered support. He may have gained some points (by protecting her, listening to her and accompanying her to the Pie House) but in the end, he was taking advantage and not really thinking of her emotional and mental welfare, IMO. I'm not sure who initiated the kiss but if Sam was a gentleman, he would have pushed Sookie away.

I like Sam and all but he really does become another person when he's with her. Sam/Tara OTOH, are good.

So her move to reject Sam after the fight was a good one. Just stay away from men till the mess gets sorted out, I say.

Edited by tvjunkie23, Nov 20, 2008 @ 8:43 PM.

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2008 @ 2:23 PM

Bill's love for Sookie is an amazing thing.

Hoyt + Jessica = his mother's head exploding. I'm looking forward to it.

So Sam is Sookie's consolation prize who she only shows interest in when Bill isn't an option. Sam deserves better. I'm dying to know his history with Maryann. Was her seeking out Tara who is connected to Sam a coincidence or did Maryann target Tara specifically to get to Sam? Did he take the money to skip town or is he paying off Maryann for Tara's sake or being blackmailed?

I think Terry and Arlene could be sweet together. I'm curious to see how this progresses.

Just had a thought. There's room to wonder if Bill is responsible for Layfayette's "death" (I refuse to believe for certain that Layfaette's the dead body until the show tells me otherwise). I think it's a red herring and Bill didn't kill him. But I do think the town will think he did and turn against him putting Sookie in the middle. I wonder if she will doubt him and that combined with Jessica will strain the relationship. I'm hoping that doesn't happen and that if Bill's a suspect Sookie won't accuse but Jessica is going to be a problem which is why I support the idea of her with Hoyt. If Jessica's occupied with a love interest she won't be a major hinderance to Bill/Sookie. Plus I want to see Bill's reaction to Hoyt picking up his "daughter" for a date. I suspect he'll be more worried about Hoyt than Jessica.

Gizmola

Gizmola

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 24, 2008 @ 4:31 PM

Bill's love for Sookie is an amazing thing.

Quite agree.

I wonder about the difference in the first time he thinks Sookie is in trouble but can't leave his hidey-hole vs this time when he ran out in the sun to save her. Obviously he CAN move while it's light so the first time was perhaps a matter of knowing he might die and not wanting to risk that and this time knowing that not only is she in trouble but he HAD to go to her. Could his leaving the hidey-hole and going out into the sun a way of proving to her that he's just as good as 24/7 Sam? That he was afraid if he just stayed put and let Sam save her then she'd be in Sam's arms again and this was a great gesture of him telling her that he'd do anything for her to draw her back to him?

I think Sookie's little speech to Sam about opening himself up to others was not only a way of thanking him but telling him that he shouldn't think anything more than friendship from her.

I am a firm S/B 'shipper, without a doubt. I find the chemistry, the sweetness - they're both outsiders in their respective worlds - just endearing. I don't want Sookie with anyone else. Sam's terrific in a million different ways, but he just can't compete with Bill in terms of hotness.

blustar

blustar

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 24, 2008 @ 6:32 PM

This is from OrchidLady:

Bill's convinced us of his love for her, but I'm not convinced of her love for him at this point.

This is from the Bill thread.

There's nothing that can convince me otherwise of Bill's love for Sookie. Regarding Sookie's love for Bill though - that is the question. I'm sure she loves him, but does she love him more than herself? Is her love a shallow one or deep? I guess the seasons ahead will test that. I'm of 2 thoughts. In the 2 episodes prior to the finale, Sookie's behavior was questionable at best (vamp politics, etc) and I really couldn't take her seriously. So either the characterization was an attempt to create some conflict (plot leading character-bad) as build up for a finale, or the other way around which is less believable to me. Either way, because of her behavior during her trying time--I have to wonder if her characterization will be consistent enough in future episodes.

She clearly loves Bill, but will she break up/yell at/uninvite him when things become difficult? Because I'm expecting that. And will it be a mature response or some crazy character set-up coming out of nowhere? Basically, if the writers have done it once what's to stop them from doing it again?

SassyCat24

SassyCat24

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 24, 2008 @ 7:44 PM

She clearly loves Bill, but will she break up/yell at/uninvite him when things become difficult? Because I'm expecting that. And will it be a mature response or some crazy character set-up coming out of nowhere? Basically, if the writers have done it once what's to stop them from doing it again?

I agree with you, blustar. I'm hoping that the person who wrote the Season 1 finale will write the majority (if not all) of Season 2. He/she seems to get the essence of Sookie (and of Sookie and Bill).

Lila82

Lila82

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2008 @ 7:51 PM

I'm still waiting for them to realize how completely unsuited they are for each other, and work through the myriad of issues they need to deal with. Like how he used to kill people before TruBlood was invented; and killed the Rattrays; and killed her uncle; and killed whatever random person he "fed" on; and turned Jessica; and is essentially the walking dead. Sookie is still caught up in the honeymoon stage and can't or won't see past the first blissful days of a new love affair. Even if she works through Bill's past and sacrifices, there's the reality of dating a vampire: she'll age while he remains young; they'll never have children; they'll never have a life that doesn't take place at night; he'll constantly be battling his true nature to mainstream. For them, there's so much more than her trust issues/temper, and I hope season two focuses on the human v. vamp dynamic because that should be the real issue in their relationship, although it seems to come second to Sookie's arrested development and immaturity.

In other relationship news, I need Eric naked like yesterday. And preferably with someone who's not Pam (because she doesn't like dudes that way) and definitely not Jessic but maybe Sookie (because she and Bill do absolutely nothing for me). Or he can be by himself in the bathtub again...a relationship of just one .

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2008 @ 9:08 PM

I think Sookie can handle her relationship with Bill when she denies the dark side of his life but when she is forced to confront it she runs. That I get. It's her mmature streak that drives me nuts. Like doubting Bill because he's gone for a couple of days and that ridiculous line about vampire politics. She needs to be the center of attention with Bill and that's just obnoxious. It's one thing to want to be important to someone you care for it's another thing when you don't respect he has a life seperate from yours. Bill can love her and have a life. I agree that Sookie's feelings for Bill are a question mark. Is she infatuated with him or does she actually love him as in the sacrifice for him and be with him in good and bad way? She sometimes acts more like a girl with a crush than a woman inlove.

OrchidLady

OrchidLady

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 24, 2008 @ 9:15 PM

blustar: Regarding Sookie's love for Bill though - that is the question. I'm sure she loves him, but does she love him more than herself? Is her love a shallow one or deep? I guess the seasons ahead will test that.

I look forward to season 2 also to see more on where this is going. My current thought about Sookie's feelings for Bill is that they are more need based than love based. That may change as time goes on, but so far I don't feel she'd move heaven and earth for him but he absolutely would for her. A line from that Elton John song comes to mind "And it seems to me you lived your life like a candle in the wind never knowing who to cling to when the rain set in"....I mean she rejects Bill after the Tacky Trio and after glamouring the cop, but after her grandmother is murdered she gives herself completely to him. Then it appears he's gone and no longer there for her for two days, and the man who is, Sam, suddenly starts looking real good to her. There's no scene showing her grieving that Bill may be dead or hurt or wondering what awful thing is happening to him that he can't come when she's in danger. I really do want to like Sookie - and she did return much closer to her old self in the last episode so I'm willing to wait and see, but as far as she and Bill go I'm not convinced that it makes sense - for Bill.

Edited by OrchidLady, Nov 24, 2008 @ 9:17 PM.

RudyandMe

RudyandMe

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 24, 2008 @ 9:18 PM

Bill to Sookie: "I failed you."

OMG - he is breaking my heart. After all he went through, and he is so full of angst because he couldn't keep Rene away from her. To quote Tara, "This is some f*cked-up sh#t", but the romantic in me loves every minute of it.

Do you think Bill means this in a broader sense? In the graveyard, when he says "I am sorry", for what exactly? Everything? The vampire politics, the half-truths, her endangerment by his association, or just because he didn't get to her in time?

Whatever he reason, I love this character. I don't care if the B/S ship never sails, as long as we get more Bill in the stories - whatever they are.

Jubi

Jubi

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2008 @ 9:51 PM

In other relationship news, I need Eric naked like yesterday. And preferably with someone who's not Pam (because she doesn't like dudes that way) and definitely not Jessic but maybe Sookie (because she and Bill do absolutely nothing for me). Or he can be by himself in the bathtub again...a relationship of just one.

I was worried after the previous episode that Jessica might become some kind of bizarre coquettish plaything for Eric, but after his attitude last night, I can't imagine it. Personally, I don't think I've seen a character on the show that would be a good match for Eric in any romantic/sexual capacity. Maybe BookSookie and BookEric have blazing chemistry, but on the show, I'm half-convinced I sense more sexual tension between Eric and Bill than Eric and Sookie, though admittedly they haven't spent much time together so far.

I also realized yesterday that, and I am probably alone in this, I don't think I can actually handle an Eric sex scene. I think I blushed just at his cocky eye wiggle at Bill last night, so him naked and doing the high speed vamp sex thing might make me explode, or at least break into an embarrassed giggle fit ala me at 15 years old. However, I don't think Alan Ball gives a shit that my inner 15 year old can't handle 6'4" of gorgeous naked Swede vamp sex, so I'm sure you will get your wish. ;)

Sookie is still caught up in the honeymoon stage and can't or won't see past the first blissful days of a new love affair.

I haven't even seen the honeymoon, really. She's never been able to relax in their relationship, due to the murders and just due to their innate differences as people. They've "broken up" and reunited two or three times within a 2 week period, and what sets her off is so... selective. She barely batted an eyelash at him killing the Rattrays, but him glamoring the cop was grounds for a "breakup." Granted the Rattrays had almost killed both of them, but they were still human beings and I expected a different reaction from her.

To me, it just feels like they're trying to make a go of something impossible. As much as Bill tries to "mainstream," he's never going to be her beloved pet vampire, and he should never have to be. Bill and Sookie belong to different species (both of which have their flaws), and they can't live their lives according to each other's standards--they need a middle ground. They may be able to find a compromise, but I think it's going to be more up to Sookie than Bill. He's made some missteps, but he's still bent over backwards to try to keep her safe and live up to her standards, despite the fact that it may not be in his nature to be quite the pure creature she wishes he could be.

Also, this:

I think Sookie can handle her relationship with Bill when she denies the dark side of his life but when she is forced to confront it she runs.

I definitely see this in her, and it bugs me to no end.

Edited by Jubi, Nov 24, 2008 @ 9:53 PM.

carmelized

carmelized

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2008 @ 10:39 AM

That may change as time goes on, but so far I don't feel she'd move heaven and earth for him but he absolutely would for her.

I'm not so sure. She faced down the skanky and dangerous Rattrays when she barely knew Bill. Sookie has been shown to be flighty sometimes, but deep down, I think she'd do anything for Bill. Despite the fact that he has infuriated her, which has not always been his fault, I don't dount that she loves him. I just don't think she has enough experience or maturity to always make the best choices as far as the relationship is concerned.

Even if she works through Bill's past and sacrifices, there's the reality of dating a vampire: she'll age while he remains young; they'll never have children; they'll never have a life that doesn't take place at night; he'll constantly be battling his true nature to mainstream.

I do think that Sookie and Bill have many obstacles ahead of them, but many are surmountable. Many human couples either cannot have children or choose not to have them. Human couples also sometimes have schedules where they rarely see each other in the daytime. Other are separated by distance, military service, etc., and rarely see one another at all for weeks and months at a time. As far as aging is concerned, I have a feeling that it's possible that the regenerative properties of Bill's vampire blood might retard or erase the aging process.

I'm so riveted by Sookie and Bill as a couple, that I want to see them stay together despite the problems they face. I'm interested in the other characters, but if Sookie and Bill weren't together, the show wouldn't have the same appeal for me. For me, they are the heart and soul of the show.

Antigone14

Antigone14

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 25, 2008 @ 12:41 PM

I posted this in the Bill Compton thread, but I think it's appropos here as well.

Based on their baseline, individual personalities, I think Bill and Sookie are well suited to one another. I said this in another thread awhile back. Bill and Sookie quite apart from one another, are literally the boy and girl next door. Both are intelligent but neither possesses the ambition of a Tara or a Lafayette, nor are they ego driven like Jason or Andy Bellefleur, dumb like Hoyt, cynical like Eric or Pam.

Bill was a farmer who by his own admission was uneducated and knew nothing about the issues or politics of the Civil War. He was a loyal Confederate who would fight for the Southland but wanted nothing more to get back to his wife and kids and pick up his life.

Sookie is literally the girl next door -- 150 years later. She is intelligent but content to be a waitress. She, by her own admission is comfortable in the safe but boring confines of her world. Both Bill and Sookie seem to be homebodies -- they read, watch TV and he plays the piano. Notice how other characters are always knocking on their doors and knocking them out of their safe environments. Neither one of them wants to play the role of protagonist. They are content to putter around at home on their day off. Bill fixes up his house, Sookie sunbathes.

I think Sookie's dream about Bill making her breakfast in her house, saying "Good Morning Dear" and reading the paper is her idea of bliss -- minus of course, his bursting into flames. I get the idea that Bill's idea of happiness is pretty close to this as well, with a game of Wii golf thrown in.

Unfortunately, Bill's a vamp and does vamp things. Sookie's a telepath which makes her attractive to those who would use her talent. Individually and as a couple, Sookie and Bill are forced to react to the other characters' machinations. Most of the time, Bill reacts and responds better.

Above all Bill is a gentleman. Regardless of what Season 2 may or may not reveal about Bill's motivations for being back in Bon Temps, I am convinced of Bill's love for Sookie. As AB has said, I think Bill views Sookie as his "second chance" at life, love and the pursuit of happiness.

I want to think that Sookie feels the same way. The writing for Sookie has been embarassingly bad in several of the episodes. I hope next season, she's written as more loyal to Bill. It's not just kissing Sam that bothers me, but every time she gets annoyed at Bill she's ready to break up with him. Nancy Oliver the writer and director of Episode 11 should be drawn, quartered, shot and staked, IMO. She resorted to the worst, most contrived plot devices in a failed attempt to create dramatic tension but having Sookie make out with Sam. So Sookie came across as an immature, empty headed, brittle and fickle bitch!

If I were AP, I'd be furious at the writing for Sookie and the way her character seemingly changes her mind on a whim. In rewatching the kissing scene, AP looked a tad uncomfortable kissing ST. And that line about "vampire politics" was just so offbase.

I don't expect to see Bill and Sookie have an uncomplicated, always blissful relationship, but I do want to see Sookie mature and show that she's as committed to Bill as he is to her. This is an "against all odds" love affair and for it to work and have the audience rooting for them, we have to be able to like and root for both Bill and Sookie.

I would love to see a scene in Season 2 involving either Jessica or Lorena (assuming she shows up) where either or both of them tries to come between her and Bill that ends with Sookie staking the other female vamp and proclaiming loudly: Bill is MINE!!!!

Edited by Antigone14, Nov 25, 2008 @ 12:44 PM.