Mark and Lexie: Little Grey and Big Sloan

• Please log in to reply

464 replies to this topic

PictureItSicily

PictureItSicily

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:31 PM

If by old fashioned you mean sexist, skirt chasing pig in the Mad Men ilk, then yeah, he is.

bijoux83

bijoux83

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

I don't get in which ways Mark is old fashioned either. Having his baby with his BFF and her girlfriend isn't exactly what I'd call traditional and he never seemed to have any problems with that for instance.

trstone

trstone

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 11:42 AM

I think one of the reasons some people now feel ambivalent about a Mexie reunion is that Mark is such a poorly written character. I definitely wouldn't call him old fashioned, unless as mentioned earlier, you mean in a Mad Men sexist pig kind of way. And I kind of like Mark. But the Mark/Lexie scenes last week were not....good. They seem to have lost their spark together. I don't think it is all attributable to ED's lack of acting skills or his physcial appearance changes. This might be a situation in which Shonda just didn't advance this couple at the right time. I know the focus for next season will shift a bit since someone or more than just one character, is leaving.

However, I'm not sure Mark/Lexie can step up to fill any voids. I love the Lexie character and can tolerate Mark, but the couple just doesn't feel organic or believable to me anymore.

Sparkles2

Sparkles2

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

I wouldn't consider mark to be poorly written, I think Mark and Lexie are characters Shonda Rhimes just never really cared about in the bigger picture. Mark can never have growth, while Lexie is a year behind so everything that the 5th years get to do we'll never see Lexie do. What happened the her interns? They showed the interns a lot when the 5th years had them, what about her fellow 4th years? Again not shown. I didn't realize me calling him that would start an bash on the character, what i mean is "old fashion" in that he wants the house, kids, wife, dog. In your opinion it wasn't good, in my opinion it was one of the best scenes of this season. Mark and Lexie still have the spark to me, also the awkwardness which i loved and as one of the reviews said, it was like going back to Season 5 all over again. please enough with the Eric bashing, I get it, you think he looks horrible now, I don't. you also think he's the worst actor ever, again i don't. shonda screwed them over, completely agree with this.

Mark and Lexie should have gotten back together in season 7, They should have gotten engaged this season. it was perfect since Mark proposed lexie had that "If i was single" look when he did that speech in season 6. It makes no sense to me that Callie couldn't have just gone through the whole "Sperm Donor" Storyline. Why involve mark at all? ... She pissed off the whole ML fan base and we are still pissed off.

Mark and Lexie are totally believable, actually they have that Soap Couple Vibe, which being a Soap fan i just love, They were named "Primetime" Supercouple for a reason, because SR has gone that way with them. Do i like it? No not really, i'd rather they'd be together then have all this angst, but they are totally believable.

According to romance novelist Leah Laiman, The romances in daytime dramas are significantly characterized by bringing couples together, splitting them up, and starting the cycle over again to ensure that viewers remain invested in the pairings. This is a strategy that often succeeds within the medium. A supercouple storyline is typically detailed by the couple facing seemingly insurmountable challenges, such as a difference in social class, strong family interference, simple disagreements, marriages to other people, children with other people, etc.

That pretty much sums up ML, Why Shonda Rhimes went all daytime on Mark and Lexie i will never get, but it's clear they are endgame, and they might not get back together, stable and married until the series finale, but there is nothing any of the ML fans can do to change that.

PictureItSicily

PictureItSicily

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

If you find soap opera relationships believable. I personally do not, for the most part.

Edited by PictureItSicily, Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:20 PM.

Sparkles2

Sparkles2

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

They are a whole lot more realistic, IMO. at least the ones i watch. The writing is more believable and the conversation that GA writers seems to skip over it's there in daytime. You don't have one part of the couple talking with his or her best friend and not their other half, if anything they over talk the same conversation, while Grey's Anatomy don't have their characters talk anything out.

Example, Last season, Lexie told mark they couldn't get back together, because they were in different places of their lives, there wasn't anymore conversation. It went from a kiss, to the next episode all was forgotten. While a soap couple in the same place as Mark/Lexie are in expect it was different lifestyles, The characters talked and talked some more before coming to an understand/Compromise. So yeah, I think mostly, Daytime couples are a lot more realistic than Prime time couples.

The cheating Story-lines are more realistic and So are the Baby Dramas. The Dialog seems more grownup, I don't think i ever heard words like "Dark and Twisty", Seriously, from anyone on a soap. And considering these shows have a lot more love Scenes and do tend to show more, and these shows are on in the afternoon it's sad when you compare it to Grey's Anatomy when it looks like they are afraid to write full out love scenes.

violet1979

violet1979

Just Tuned In

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 4:24 PM

So I've been trying hard to understand why Lexie had to die.

As to general Grey's storylines, Lexie's death came out of nowhere and IMO will lead right nowhere too. Of course her death makes everyone sad and yeah, life turns on a dime. But that's just cheap and repetitive and doesn't explain why it had to be HER to DIE. Come on, how would Lexie's death make Meredith (Derek, other originals) stay in Seattle? Will they give up their jobs over it? Who will want to watch Mark mourn her? Who else of the characters has ever really cared for her in a way that would make them mourn her for more than just a tear-jerking burial scene?

Specifically for the big, drawn out over years, M/L storyline, her death came out of nowhere too. Even in 8x23 still, all their scenes are accompanied by the standard comic relief music. Mark/Lexie had their share of angst (and I loved it!), but generally, their scenes as individuals and as a couple basically added something funny or cute to the episodes (and I loved it too!). I am so confused that they, of all people, became the first couple (of doctors) ever on this show to suffer a full realisation of a death scare. This just doesn't feel in sync with what came before. And this, IMO, is not a sign of great drama writing with unexpected turns, but just … (expression of digust). And I won't even start on how there was not even an attempt at closure for the M/L story all season long.

Also character-wise, having the Lexie Grey character die feels so random to me. (And yes, I do get that accidents ARE random. Writing for a show shouldn't be.) The Lexie character I've watched before wasn't there for dark and twisty, but basically for comic relief and as a foil for the dark and twisty main cast. Oh wait, and now Mere is crying because Lexie is dead, so maybe DEAD SISTER was her purpose all along? Mmm. This would be such a waste, I can't bear to believe it. Also, we've seen her in a death scare context before, and she wasn't fated to be hit by a gunman explicitely out to kill her, nor to be successful with her suicide attempts as AU junkie: She was fated to be saved. I've followed her so closely on the show, and I didn't see any hint that her journey to growth might be over soon; I was on edge to see it START off for real already. I for one can easily imagine a lot more story material for her, and not only in a M/L context, but also as the main cast Meredith's sister, and as a young doctor striving to find her place. (In retrospect though I guess she got the George treatment)

Furthermore, if CL indeed wanted to leave the show, in order to have Lexie depart on a hopeful note (rather than have her die while realizing what great potential she missed out on), nothing would have been easier to write than a different M/L storyline: For example an Izzie-like epiphany that she REALLY doesn't want to love Mark and that their relationship is getting in the way of her professional development: voila, she breaks free and leaves for Mass Gen, where she was set for residency in the first place. Thus, leaving the door open for a possible return, and of course the perpetual M/L tease, thank you very much.

Speaking of which, I am one of those who are furious about SR's spoiler policy as to M/L (though no, I'm not on twitter lol). I feel that her wording was just so disrespectful to a loyal part of the audience. Satisfaction, bittersweet, my ass. And she won't even stop after the big reveal, as proven by her latest E online interview. Oh well, I will get over it eventually.

So, as I still refuse to trust my eyes that they killed Lexie for no better reason than this mega-cheap ‟shocker“ episode plot point "look life is short!", atm I tend to believe that the reason isn't in the text/story/character arc, but rather in the context of filming the show. ATM, I tend to conclude from CL's telling silence that somebody wanted the potentially threatening/show-extending ‟spare“ Grey character gone for good. Mmmh. Or maybe CL was offered a farewell gift after her friendly firing when the spare Grey just wasn't needed anymore, and she asked for a last opportunity to showcase her talent. And wow, did she bring it. (BTW I do hope that CL is alright, and that I'm going to see her on my screen again, and please let it be sooner rather than later.)

To be honest, I've never realized before that being the "spare" Grey could well have always been a huge "meta" threat to Lexie, and to M/L. I probably should have been prepared for this ending. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to miss my fascination with these characters and their pairing, and I have to thank the show for the initial spark.

And I'd still be happy to hear a convincing narrative spin on why Lexie had to die. I might even check the reviews for season 9 occasionally to see if the show managed to pull off a satisfying closure for Lexie, and for M/L, after all.

Somerset

Somerset

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

I think Lexie had to die because Shonda built it up in her mind that Mark and Lexie were destined to be together forever with such a certainty that there's no way either of them would just up and leave. I think that's why she redoubled her efforts this season with Lexie's endless pining and that episode with her anvilicious "soulmates" commentary. So Shonda crafted their story this season in such a way that the only believable way to get rid of Lexie is if she died.

Would you rather have it like Cristina and Burke, where they look to be going good until the departing actor's character just abruptly leaves and will never be heard from again? Or Alex and Izzie, which won't get a satisfying conclusion, yet Shonda somehow feels the need to hold it over Alex's love life forever?

violet1979

violet1979

Just Tuned In

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 5:52 AM

IMO, the death scene is very, very far from a satisfying closure for this pairing. I really resent how SR seems to be taking the M/L fan for a fool. It seems to me as if she's thinking: Oh, these crazy young girls. Let's grant them their burning wish and let Mark propose to Lexie one MORE time. And yeah, postpone the BIG reveal of the painfully obvious to the very point of dying. So tragic. Nevermind we already showed one hell of a I-tell-you-ILY-even-though-I-don't-mean-it-because-you-just-can't-die-please scene with this pairing before, nobody will remember anyway. And hey, let's also put some meta-talk in these characters' mouths, just to distract the fans from our decision to not even TRY to have M/L sort out any of their problems for two and a half seasons now. And just be really obvious about it, these people won't notice anyway. Wanna bet they'll really be into April and Jackson next season? /rant over lol

If CL's departure was indeed as amicable as it is painted to be, I for one would have much preferred to 1. see some closure about M/L by having them at least identify some of their problems (including some personal growth for both of them, please) and 2. to see the Lexie Grey character depart alive. I would have been sad not to see CL on screen, too, but at least there could have been some hope that they could possibly bring her back (after she had resolved her personal problems), you know?

Edited by violet1979, May 22, 2012 @ 5:52 AM.

spanky91088

spanky91088

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 7:17 AM

If CL's departure was indeed as amicable as it is painted to be, I for one would have much preferred to 1. see some closure about M/L by having them at least identify some of their problems (including some personal growth for both of them, please) and 2. to see the Lexie Grey character depart alive. I would have been sad not to see CL on screen, too, but at least there could have been some hope that they could possibly bring her back (after she had resolved her personal problems), you know?

I'd have liked to see her leave alive as well. Even though I always think its super cheesy when tv show characters mention an old character who just "went away," I think most audience members are will to suspend disbelief when they know something is going on behind the scenes. And I'd venture a guess that people know, since I've heard it mentioned during various entertainment news segments about the finale. It actually wouldn't have been that hard to believe after having a plane on top of her Lexie either couldn't or didn't want to continue her surgical residency and choose a different specialty. The ONLY reason for killing her, in my opinion, is to free Mark up for romantic relationships. Though now he's in the same boat as Alex in that their "one true love" is gone so they'll never be able to actually settle down and find happiness...gag

violet1979

violet1979

Just Tuned In

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

Though now he's in the same boat as Alex in that their "one true love" is gone so they'll never be able to actually settle down and find happiness

LOL! You wouldn't believe it, but if the narrative reason for Lexie's death DOES turn out to be the setup for a major Mark and Alex bonding/character growth storyline, I will take back everything I said and forever love this show.

ATM I think that Mark will be dead by the end of 9x01, though. Because this would be so romantic, and finally get rid of the last M/L fan. And firing ED could free some much-needed money to pay the stars, or to buy the new hunk who will play the replacement person that will threaten the professional position of any the severly injured.

DaisyJane422

DaisyJane422

Channel Surfer

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 6:51 PM

Mark leaving would be for the best, IMO. He has nowhere to go without Lexie.

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 12:15 AM

Lexie was not my favorite by far, but I agree: she didn't have to die. They could have written CL out differently but I guess SR likes to go with the bang! I think it was cruel. What was so hard of just deciding to transfer to another hospital? I also don't believe Mark will die. I don't think anyone else from the crash will die but just have x amount of complications due to their injuries.

Come on, how would Lexie's death make Meredith (Derek, other originals) stay in Seattle? Will they give up their jobs over it? Who will want to watch Mark mourn her? Who else of the characters has ever really cared for her in a way that would make them mourn her for more than just a tear-jerking burial scene?

I guess that's why SR wrote Derek's hand to be mangled in the debris, to give a more "realistic" reason for Derek & Meredith to stay. Most likely he'll lose the Harvard offer and since Meredith never really wanted to leave Seattle, this will give her a second reason to stay. If it were me, like Cristina said, I'd run as far from Seattle Grace Mercy Death and never look back but SR loves sadism, it seems. What makes Alex & Cristina stay is what I'm wondering.

He has nowhere to go without Lexie.

Not really. It did reset a bit the game for him and there is a story that can come from this. The question is...will SR have it? She has a good chance to make a good story out of Mark (within ED's limitations, at least) but what happens with SR is that she is presented with potential good stories, she usually passes them for...stupid stuff. I wouldn't mind if this brought more Mark/Derek though.

JMO.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 3:04 PM

So they've renamed the hospital after Lexie and Mark. I'd much rather have them alive, together, making babies, etc, but... yeah, it's really kind of sweet.

Kayley

Kayley

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 13, 2013 @ 10:36 PM

So they've renamed the hospital after Lexie and Mark. I'd much rather have them alive, together, making babies, etc, but... yeah, it's really kind of sweet.

That was suppose to be for the "Slexie" fans since we had always wanted Lexie's name changed once she got married to sloan to go from Lexie Grey to "Lexie Grey Sloan" The fanbase was very vocal on that and I guess that was her little way of giving us that without actually getting them married and Lexie changing her name. Ugh. I could careless now seeing as once Mark and Lexie died off I stopped watching completely. It didn't seem sweet to me, it seemed like the finale F/U to the Slexie fans.

On a lighter note, Mark and Lexie came in second place as the most iconic Relationships on tv. I just love out of all the couples minus Merder of course ML is still being talked about through out the media outlets even though it's going on 2 seasons now.

Eric and Chyler shared great chemistry and sadly Shonda kept their characters apart whatever reason. I only hope one day they work together again.