Mark and Lexie: Little Grey and Big Sloan

• Please log in to reply

464 replies to this topic

Crystelle

Crystelle

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 12:46 PM

Did she do it out of jealousy or because her patient was brave enough to call her mom and she thought she had to take the leap as well?

I don't see there being any type of jealously once Lexie had the talk with Callie. I think her decision to move in with mark came more from seeing her patient put in the work into getting better and deciding to call her mother so that she could have someone supporting her. Lexie at the beginning of the episode was telling Mark that she was becoming a resident and wanted to focus on that. She was choosing her job over her love life. By the end of the episode, I think she realized that she can be a great resident (have a great career) but also live with Mark, all she has to do is be willing to put in the work it takes to have both. MerDer having sex all over the house probably was an extra incentive for Lexie to get the heck out of Casa Grey,LOL.

Reem

Reem

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2009 @ 10:51 AM

I think Lexie decision to move in with Mark was still really rushed and Mark and Lexie as a couple are still aren't ready for that.
I don't think those two would last till the end of the season to be honest.

Lunathick

Lunathick

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2009 @ 10:22 PM

How long have they been together, really? 6-7 months? It's way too early, but since I actually like them I won't complain too much. Callie living right across the hall should be fun, too. But please not another triangle.

As I'm sure a lot of people are hoping for another alternative, I think these two have the best shot of having a long and committed relationship. You've gotta admit that they are the most drama free and inoffensive couple on the show.

KissMeImIrish

KissMeImIrish

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 11, 2009 @ 1:28 AM

Lunathick, I totally agree with you! They honestly seem to be the only couple that is actually wrapped up in each other instead of themselves, which is refreshing on this show. No idea what the timeline really is anymore. Even though it's definitely a bit soon for them to move in together, they've certainly known each other for a long time, which makes it easier to buy into the idea that they could be comfortable living together. Either way I'll take their drama-free comic relief any day of the week!

bijoux83

bijoux83

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2009 @ 5:45 AM

Tv Guide's Hot Straight Couple (Callie and Arizona are the Hot Gay Couple.)

They honestly seem to be the only couple that is actually wrapped up in each other instead of themselves

I love the way you phrased this.

Lunathick

Lunathick

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2009 @ 12:27 PM

The addition of his daughter (with child) will probably cause some friction. So far, Lexie seems to be taking this well. She didn't throw a hissy fit, she didn't leave, etc. I don't know how one should react to this kind of news, really.

VayaZ

VayaZ

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2009 @ 12:38 PM

The addition of his daughter (with child) will probably cause some friction. So far, Lexie seems to be taking this well. She didn't throw a hissy fit, she didn't leave, etc. I don't know how one should react to this kind of news, really.

She had a much more mature reaction to it that I expected. She handled it much better than Mark, to be honest. I suppose her attitude may change later on, but right now she's being an adult about it. From this episode, it seemed that if this is going to cause friction in the relationship, it will be on Mark's end.

Gibraltariana

Gibraltariana

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2009 @ 9:59 PM

From this episode, it seemed that if this is going to cause friction in the relationship, it will be on Mark's end.

I got a really different vibe, from the end especially. Lexie and Sloane did get into a bit of a squabble at Christmas, prompting the "your kids are fighting" from Derek (Line of the night, btw!). Then, Lexie complaining to Mark that Sloane hadn't mentioned leaving, and that he needed to talk to her or "No sex" for him! So, I don't think its going to be Mark, who knew instinctively to hug his teen daughter. Lexie didn't throw a hissy fit, but I think the seeds for one have been sown.

bijoux83

bijoux83

Stalker

Posted Nov 22, 2009 @ 3:17 AM

Lexie and Sloane did get into a bit of a squabble at Christmas, prompting the "your kids are fighting" from Derek (Line of the night, btw!).

Eh, that one just felt like Derek being an ass. Because as VayaZ pointed out, Lexie is being the most mature and adult one in this situation.

I fully expect her to break at some point but her behavior in this episode is really in keeping in how she has always approached Mark and their relationship. She doesn't hold his past against him but she damn sure has expectations from him in the present. So there's nothing that can be done about him having a teen age daughter but step up to the plate and be her Dad now that you know about her.

Gibraltariana

Gibraltariana

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2009 @ 3:20 PM

Because as VayaZ pointed out, Lexie is being the most mature and adult one in this situation.

Still, where she's not stomping her feet or refusing to share her dollies, she does have a breaking point. She did tell Mark he had to talk to Sloane about leaving, which is clearly what she wants. Now, not sure what direction they are going in, but I could see Lexie causing a rift just as much as Mark, at this point.

bijoux83

bijoux83

Stalker

Posted Nov 24, 2009 @ 6:30 AM

She did tell Mark he had to talk to Sloane about leaving, which is clearly what she wants.

A week earlier Mark asked her directly if Sloan told her anything about leaving. Up until that point nothing had changed, the two of them were still orbiting around each other, not communicating, much less bonding, with Lexie as an awkward go between. I figure after two months it's come to shit or get off the pot.

As for her breaking point, I'm certain she's bound to have one. But so far she's dealt with this maturely.

VayaZ

VayaZ

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2010 @ 4:37 AM

Ok, WTF was up with Mark's double standard in this episode? He was single for what seemed to be less than 24 hours before he jumped Addison's bones, repeatedly. That's not really the issue for me, I don't blame either him or Lexie for sleeping with other people - they were broken up (which was a nice change for Grey's, break up before you sleep with someone else), the problem is that there's apparently different rules for him and for Lexie in his mind. I found it extremely off putting. That and the fact that ED was about as expressive as a rock.

Edited by VayaZ, Jan 22, 2010 @ 4:46 AM.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2010 @ 5:16 AM

Yeah it did seem weird and out of character. Old Mark would certainly have jumped Addie's bones in that situation, but he wouldn't have blamed the girl for sleeping with someone else as well, hell he didn't even blame Addie for sleeping with Alex during the bet, he's always been fairly sexually honest. And ED wasn't selling (totally unjustified) jealous rage as well as Derek did in his infamous "whore" rant, in fact he wasn't selling any emotion at all, which makes it hard to buy any potential misplaced guilt/devestation because Lexie is his Little Grey Soulmate angle. What now you know she isn't a fake 15 year old virgin apart from with you, you can't even look at her?

Gibraltariana

Gibraltariana

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2010 @ 7:08 PM

I think that there was a difference between what Mark did and what Lexie did. Allegedly, they were in love and Mark changed for her. When the going got tough, Lexie dumped him and slept with another (barely married) guy who they work with and didn't say anything until she thought they could call "evens!" Given that, I could see where Mark may doubt that she ever cared for him at all. What Mark did was a response to being dumped, fear for the life of his daughter and grandchild, and basically an emotional Bermuda Triangle. Not only did he feel guilty about it, he owned up even WITHOUT an admission from Lexie. So, there is a shade of difference. The whole "I can't look at you" was a bit much though.

Foamy the Girl

Foamy the Girl

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 23, 2010 @ 10:39 PM

Dude, she didn't have time to admit to anything. She was walking up to him and he blurted out that he had slept with Addison. Some people need to brace themselves before confessing a sin. Plus, He jumped Addison. Begged for it even. For multiple days he and Add bumped uglies while of sound mind and body. He was in LA for at least a week. Whereas Lexie was under the influence of alcohol for the ONE night of sex with Alex, that she completely regretted in the morning. She felt dirty and wrong and in pain about it. The only thing Mark said about it was that he had to tell Lexie because she is "so good". He placed her on this weird Innocence Pedestal and got angry when she dared to step off onto Human.

Sparkles2

Sparkles2

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

Little Grey Soulmate angle. What now you know she isn't a fake 15 year old virgin apart from with you, you can't even look at her?

This!, He put her so high up on a pedestal as this Women, who has only slept with him. that when she did make a mistake, He was able to call her out on it. I hated that, It wasn't a secret that she had slept with other men, She told that to Mrs. Shepherd, just because mark didn't see her being with anyone else before they were together, doesn't mean she was a virgin. Thought i kept feeling that's what he thought. To Mark, Lexie was this perfect girl, one who could do no wrong. So when she finally did mess up, as he did. He could see past his mistakes cause after all he is mark Sloan, the manwhore, but to him, Lexie couldn't make mistakes, because lexie was suppose to perfect, never going to another man for anything. Anyways. He's basically done the same thing this season, once again putting her on that pedestal in saying she's perfect to Mrs. Avery. I guess she'll be the perfect girl until she once again messes up somehow.

Talking about Jackson, I really thought we weren't getting played again. I really though SR was being honest for once (When will i ever learn) Mark and Lexie's SL seemed to be moving forward to M/L reuniting, then of course last episode, Mark Assumes Jackson is still in love with Lexie, I guess this whole season was another waste for the ML fans to watch. I really wish Shonda was just say they are not coming back together because this has been going on for way to long, how long should we have to wait for ML to just get back together, while every other couple goes to the next stage of their Relationships.

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 12:32 AM

This was once again the perfect time for Lexie to tell mark She wants to be with him and he was alone with her on the elevator, yet another attempt failed.

I just think they are going for angst, like that will they won't they story that doesn't resolve itself till the last minute. Though signs seem to indicate to me that they will get back together; I have to agree with you that Shonda has taken way too long to make this happen. Maybe it has to do with scheduling issues (both actors requested time off to deal with things) but either way, I can see that the angst is being played out for far too long. We're talking about from mid season 6 by now (I don't count that overly cruel episode where she put them back together only to break them up by the end of the day).

At any rate, while I mostly relate, I don't think it has to be compared to any other couple on the show. The issue stands by itself, the way this has been written is wrong period. Time to drop the load or get off the pot, preferably number 1 in this case (pun not intended).

Sparkles2

Sparkles2

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

I just think they are going for angst, like that will they won't they story that doesn't resolve itself till the last minute. Though signs seem to indicate to me that they will get back together; I have to agree with you that Shonda has taken way too long to make this happen. Maybe it has to do with scheduling issues (both actors requested time off to deal with things) but either way, I can see that the angst is being played out for far too long. We're talking about from mid season 6 by now (I don't count that overly cruel episode where she put them back together only to break them up by the end of the day).

Yeah i agree, they are going for angst and i love angst but there needs to be balance with it, which Mark and Lexie have had none. I don't know if they are trying to redo MerDer's Back and fourth SL (Which i didn't like the first time and now hate it this time) Or if the only reason they are putting ML and the fans through hell is because her last name is grey, i just need this back and fourth to be over with. It's funny as soon as i think they are going to get back (Season 6/7 Finales) it doesn't happen at all, So i really don't know what to think anymore. Once again i agree, The angst factor is a good thing, but only if it's balanced with at least a couple happy moments. I don't think Lexie has been truly happy since Season 5, Lexie is either crying, mad, depressed. It sucks because she use to be a happy character and especially with mark, all of Season 5 they were happy. but now it's like she lost all of that. I don't count that two episode "Relationship" either.

At any rate, while I mostly relate, I don't think it has to be compared to any other couple on the show. The issue stands by itself, the way this has been written is wrong period. Time to drop the load or get off the pot, preferably number 1 in this case (pun not intended)

Oh i hate to compare ML to anyone else, it just seems like the writers are going out of their way to show that everyone else (That was paired in Season 5) took that next step (Marriage/Babies) yet Mark and Lexie are broken up still and even if they do get back together, it's were they well start off. I hate it cause there were so many times i thought marriage was going to be in the cards for them. Mark is the only one that i can remember to talk about marrying Lexie for three seasons in a row. and then the line in Season 6 "You could have a husband" Yet that was glossed over like it was never said. I get that the writers had lexie become iffy were kids are concerned. (Though this season proved that she's pretty much ok with that now) but marriage shouldn't be out of the box, Lexie is after all close to 30 and really what marriage on this show has ruined someone's career?.

agree, Even non fans are getting upset and i know for a fact, lots of ML fans have stopped watching all together. like you said they need to put them together or don't but i want them together so i'll take them together then apart.

spanky91088

spanky91088

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 8:55 AM

Mark and Lexie just confuse me. To me, Mark is at a more mature place in his life (wanting to settle down, get married, have kids) but they both tend to be really immature in their actions. Actual, numerical age doesn't matter at all, you could be 17 and ready to settle down or 50 and still goofing off and having fun. Consider a 16 versus 17 year old; they could only be a few months apart, but one is in high school, living with mom&dad with little to no responsibility while the other is in college, on their own. It's not ageism, it's just different life stages. It's that disconnect that makes it hard for me to buy into ML. Lexie will finish her residency, then go through all the same stuff the current residents are doing. Is she willing to stay in Seattle even if she's offered a better Attending position? Is Mark willing to leave Sophia? Derek? Callie? Etc.? I realize in real life it is done, and handled maturely, but I'm not sure I can see ML getting through all that.

Sparkles2

Sparkles2

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 9:15 AM

What indicates that lexie isn't ready to settle down? the last time she even uttered the words difference places in their life was back in Season 7, since season eight she hasn't even mentioned that, Reason why? this was SR's way of having Lexie getting growth in one swoop and no one saw it. She's now ready for it all, or really why would she be going after mark, who has been clear since the first break up that he wants to settle down. I think Lexie will stay with mark and this season has showed that to me, Lexie is miserable without mark and clearly doesn't want to live without him, So she'd most likely be the one to make the compromise in the situation, she'd choose love over Career.

spanky91088

spanky91088

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

What indicates that lexie isn't ready to settle down? the last time she even uttered the words difference places in their life was back in Season 7

That's all the reason needed. In canon, Lexie has stated she does not want the same things Mark wants. Period. You're assuming she hasn't mentioned it again because her mind changed, which is a big assumption to make. Until/unless Lexie says she wants to marry Mark and have his babies (and/or raise Sophia), they want different things.

Edited by spanky91088, Apr 28, 2012 @ 9:34 AM.

Sparkles2

Sparkles2

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 9:45 AM

I am assuming since She is going after a man she knows wants a family, It really makes no sense for Lexie to go after mark, if she is still in the same place as she was last season.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 1:50 PM

Replying here instead of the episode thread since it seemed OT there:

I like Lexie and I like Mark but I'm up in the air with them as a couple. I'm not opposed to them being a couple and have more of a 'see what happens' view in terms of being a fan of them together.

I don't find the age different at all unrealistic or unusual. Its about 12 years, not at all uncommon in the real world. There are differences in wants/life stages but that has been true of just about every pairing on Grey's.

When Mark and Lexie were living together a short time Sloan showed up. Lexie was supportive of Mark building a relationship with his daughter and did the best she could to help them along. It wasn't what she planned but she didn't complain and didn't run. IMO had Sloan wanted to raise the baby on her own and have Mark remain in her life and not parent her child Lexie likely would have been supportive of that. Mark wanting to parent the child and thrust Lexie into being the child's mother figure (IIRC Sloan appeared to not want to raise the baby) was a completely different situation. She was around 25, in the middle of her residency, had recently taken the step of living with Mark and then was blindsided by the baby decision without so much as a discussion. I did not find Lexie at all immature or childish/childlike for making the decision to break things off. In fact, I found it a mature decision. She didn't discount or throw away what she envisioned for her future, she didn't beg and she didn't expect Mark to change.

For the sake of discussion, compare that to other relationship obstacles on the show with other couples and I honestly don't see how they were any more mature. Burke pushed Cristina into living with him then into a wedding she didn't want. Derek tried to push Meredith into the house/babies/future back in season 4 when she wanted to take it in steps. Meredith didn't take a break from the relationship due to their differences but instead dumped him when Cristina didn't walk down the aisle. Owen married a PTSD suffering Cristina ignoring what she wanted in regards to children and expected her to change her mind.

Actual, numerical age doesn't matter at all, you could be 17 and ready to settle down or 50 and still goofing off and having fun.

I completely agree. Again, this is something that Grey's has played up in many of the relationships on the show (would be nice if they'd find another angle wouldn't it?). Derek wanted a house, children, marriage while Meredith had zero relationship experience. She never had a relationship prior to Derek and he even had to explain that he'd come home if they had a fight. They weren't far apart in chronological years but they were very far apart in terms of emotional age/relationship experience. Callie was the "new lesbian" to Arizona's experienced one. Meredith/Derek, Cristina/Burke and Cristina/Owen all had the attending/resident difference which often appeared to bleed into their personal relationships. So again, in terms of life stages in relationships I just don't see Mark/Lexie as any different than the other couples and don't see this as any major reason why the show shouldn't give them a go.

I am assuming since She is going after a man she knows wants a family, It really makes no sense for Lexie to go after mark, if she is still in the same place as she was last season.

While I do think Lexie has grown and may be closer to Mark now in terms of what they want (at this moment in time) in life I think there are other factors. I think both are at a point where a compromise is possible that could make both happy and lead to a functional and happy relationship. Mark was at a stage where he wanted a child right then. He has Sofia now and that may leave him in a place where he's fine with waiting until Lexie wants to have a child to have a baby with her. If Lexie were to get back together with Mark at this point she wouldn't be thrust into being Sofia's primary mother figure. Sofia has two mothers. Lexie would be a step-parent and would be partially responsible (along with Mark) for caring for the child when she was in their home but she wouldn't be the sole mother figure. We've seen her caring for Zola and she does not seem at all opposed to caring for a child. IMO, that's a very different position to be in then the situation with Mark raising Sloan's baby would have put her in. In addition, Lexie has had time to process and give full thought to what entering a relationship with Mark at this point would entail in terms of his being a father already. She didn't have that previously, she was blindsided by it. If they can talk things through and reach a mutual decision on where their future will go in terms of marriage, children, etc. I don't see why they couldn't work things out and be a couple. They're issues just don't seem anymore insurmountable than anyone else's have been. Jury's still out on whether I'd be a fan of them as a couple but I just don't see any reason why they couldn't be one.

Just my very long (sorry!) 2 cents.

Edited by WindSprints, Apr 28, 2012 @ 1:55 PM.

spanky91088

spanky91088

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

I think both are at a point where a compromise is possible that could make both happy and lead to a functional and happy relationship.

I think a huge part of my aversion to ML is that I'm tired of Shonda's idea of compromise. She seems to think compromise = 1 person completely changing their views on things in the name of "love." IF they can write both Mark AND Lexie actually compromising, it could be a good storyline. Like when Lexie talked about her 10(?) year plan and Mark tried compromising somewhere in the middle, pointing out that Meredith and Bailey had successful relationships while being married. If Mark agreed to wait until Lexie finished her residency and Lexie agreed to settle down seriously before she's *another* top doctor in the country like she had originally wanted the storyline would work better, for me.

Sparkles2

Sparkles2

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 1:23 PM

I don't find the age different at all unrealistic or unusual. Itís about 12 years, not at all uncommon in the real world. There are differences in wants/life stages but that has been true of just about every pairing on Grey's.

I hate that anyone attacks their age difference; The argument is so out there. We have older women dating younger man, yet that is totally fine, but a younger women dating an older man for some reason people find it disgusting and vile and etc. ... I'm so sick of it always coming back to that, Besides 3 stupid comments 2 from mark and one from Derek the age issue was put to rest in Season 5, So why if the show can move past it, some viewers can't. I get some might not like Mark/Lexie, I can see that, Some might even hate them together for whatever reason but I just find it odd someone would call them father/Daughter, or like last year I think I saw the word paternalistic after Lexie said that, Which I have yet to see Mark act like a dad to Lexie, More or less he acts like that with Jackson not Lexie. Mark has protected lexie and sometimes even over protects her, but I see nothing paternalistic about it. Mark almost was shot because he was protecting Lexie, the women he loves, I don't see how that turns into what lexie said in Season 7.

The problem I have with Lexie not being ready in Season 6, was she never actually said the words. She told Jackson (IICRC) That Mark wanted them to start a family, yet forgot about her as the reasons why she left. I find it odd that she would say that rather than tell Jackson that Mark wanted a family and she wasn't ready, IMO it had nothing to do with being ready and everything to do with him A) Ignoring her, B) Forgetting about her, not to mention took over ever Decision making process. And then the whole comment on Mark leaving her in dirty dish water, which I found that part of the dialog just odd. Ď

Lexie didnít run, but she wasn't forthcoming either. In the beginning of the episode ďBlinkĒ Itís shown Lexie is really annoyed and I doubt itís from that one scene of Sloane coming into their bedroom while they are making out I think more stuff happened between the episode and and lexie had just gotten fed up to appoint were she was either going to get shoved out the door or leave. So I much as I hated them breaking up in that episode, I knew it was for the best, Mark had basically checked out of the relationship emotionally So it made no sense for lexie to continue to stay there.

Lexie is actually one of the few? Women who havenít begged someone to love them. Or to take them back. I donít see anything even remotely romantic about someone begging to be loved. I hope if Mark Doesnít want lexie back after or if she spills her feelings than for her to finally move on. Iíd rather she stay single than to degrade herself like that.

I donít think I would even consider mark pushing lexie into anything. He wanted her to move in, joked about marriage and being together seriously and not just dating, she basically said no without actually saying it and they broke up. Mark didnít push her into moving in with him that was on lexie for two reasons. Her patient and MDís house being over crowded.

I think like in real life, mostly the women are the ones who have to compromise. Itís clear mark wants to get married, He has talked about this with multi people and I doubt heís going to wait years to do that. But I can see lexie bending on this subject more than ďmoreĒ children one. The one thing I do fear Is when lexie is ready to become a mom to their own child, mark would have already been there and done that, mostly like he wonít want to wait that long

If Mark agreed to wait until Lexie finished her residency and Lexie agreed to settle down seriously before she's *another* top doctor in the country like she had originally wanted the storyline would work better, for me.

Yeah considering itís already been four years. That doesnít work for me. I need to see their relationship take the next step. Iím done with seeing them date, we already saw that in Season 5 /6 itís time for an engagement/marriage. I donít mind Lexie being the one compromising as long as she isnít messing up her career and she far she isnít.

DaisyJane422

DaisyJane422

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

It's been three. She was a first year, they dated until midway through her second year, broke up, got back together briefly during their and year, and have been broken up until near the end of her fourth year. And the reason she called what he told Avery, not him, paternalistic is because he "gave her away", an old-fashioned custom, when they had been broken up for some time.

Sparkles2

Sparkles2

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

Typo, I mean't Seasons. This is the fourth season they have been on and off again. That is mark, I don't think he is old but he is old fashion when it comes to things like this and this is maybe another way of the writers to bring up her again age again without actually saying it.

My problem once again is the writers keep putting the blame squared on Lexie's shoulders. Lexie is in no way responsible for their relationship once again breaking up, yet the writers keep shoving that down our throats and i'm not buying it.

DaisyJane422

DaisyJane422

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 5:48 PM

I agree with you on the Lexie front, Mark is given no blame by the writers. I still think his comments about giving her to Jackson were out of place and I don't see him as traditional. In what ways?

Edited by DaisyJane422, Apr 29, 2012 @ 5:58 PM.

Sparkles2

Sparkles2

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:00 PM

Yeah, i remember listening to the Podcast in Season 6, right after Blind episode already aired. They were really harsh in saying it was all Lexie's fault that ML weren't together anymore, when is it not her fault?

Oh FYI i'm going by this quote "Lexie is the one who messed up things between them when she broke up with him and then ended up with Jackson."

In which way, what do you mean ?

DaisyJane422

DaisyJane422

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

Why do you say he's traditional in some ways? I've never thought of him that way at all, and I'm just curious as to why you say that.