Mark and Lexie: Little Grey and Big Sloan

• Please log in to reply

464 replies to this topic

KookaMonga

KookaMonga

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 14, 2008 @ 11:03 AM

It looks like this will be the new couple at Seattle Grace.

mcsteamygirl

mcsteamygirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2008 @ 12:32 PM

That's ok. They actually make a cute couple and she is so not Mark's typical girlfriend. Don't especially like the brother/sister dating thing but it really does make Derek address the position he put Meredith in when he pursued her in S1. And Mark sooner or later needed to meet someone who would throw him for a loop.

I just want Mark to have a storyline so at least this is a start. The disapproving BFF and sister versus the manwhore.

You know what is sad, is that I prefer some of these type stories versus the NDE and the Dead Denny crap. They just need to keep it real.

Edited by mcsteamygirl, Nov 14, 2008 @ 12:35 PM.

ScarletPrincess

ScarletPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2008 @ 2:12 PM

No. No, no, no, no to infinity. This idea for a couple is just wrong. And bad. To me, the way he was looking at Lexie at the end of the episode was more because Derek told him not to go there, that now it's a challenge for him. You always want what you can't have. He doesn't want Lexie. Derek told him not to, so now he just has to. It's a competition type of thing. Also - just, no.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2008 @ 2:19 PM

To me, the way he was looking at Lexie at the end of the episode was more because Derek told him not to go there, that now it's a challenge for him. You always want what you can't have. He doesn't want Lexie. Derek told him not to, so now he just has to. It's a competition type of thing.

I agree that Mer/Der should have known better than to ward him off, but the seeds for Mark/Lexie were sown well before that.

IMO it wouldn't be the worst pairing ever in GA (only because there is some incredibily stiff competition for that) and they do have some chemistry and a cameraderie that isn't purely "ooh, sexy surgeon, Lexie like." He does seem to like her and her personality rather than just some more fresh meat.

Not a fan of the Brother/sister dating either, especially if Derek continues to be protective of Lexie (anyone else think there was a cut scene between them before Mer asked Lexie if she was cutting?) but it could open up an avenue to explore Mer/Lexie more deeply, which is something I really want.

It's a bit squicky, but I am interested to see where they take this, especially as Callie/Mark is the more obvious pairing at this point.

Sabra

Sabra

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2008 @ 3:16 PM

They cannot be worse than Gizzie and nothing can top the monstruosity that is Izzie and Denny-I-Will-Not-Stay-Dead Duquette.

mcsteamygirl

mcsteamygirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2008 @ 3:18 PM

He doesn't act like the manwhore around her. At the bar in that one episode he asked her about her photographic memory (recite the periodic table). He wasn't trying to pick her up. He was fascinated by her ability. Then he went and asked it she wanted in on a surgery in this last episode. I think they are letting Mark find his is actually attracted to someone for reasons other than sex. Unless I missed it, I don't thing there has been a sexual innuendo between the two. He isn't hitting on her but he likes her. This maybe something totally different for Mark.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2008 @ 3:46 PM

I think they are letting Mark find his is actually attracted to someone for reasons other than sex. Unless I missed it, I don't thing there has been a sexual innuendo between the two. He isn't hitting on her but he likes her. This maybe something totally different for Mark.

Unless you could the "little......" at the end of the ep, which was supposed to be Little Grey=Lexie and little Grey=vagina, I agree, he has shown a remarkable lack of manwhorishness for someone who it is clear he's "interested" in. There's still a million reasons why it's so wrong but the writers haven't made a bad start so far IMO.

mcsteamygirl

mcsteamygirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2008 @ 4:09 PM

He called her "little grey" as a nickname. When he first said it, he wasn't referring to what Mer & Der meant by "little grey". I think Mark used it affectionately as a nickname for Lexie. Mer was the one who put the sexual meaning into the phrase. Derek passed it to Mark. Maybe that is why he didn't finish the sentence. He really never thought about that way until Derek changed the meaning. I think this one snuck up on Mark.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Nov 15, 2008 @ 4:13 PM

To me, the way he was looking at Lexie at the end of the episode was more because Derek told him not to go there, that now it's a challenge for him. You always want what you can't have. He doesn't want Lexie. Derek told him not to, so now he just has to.

ITA. I never saw Mark previously interested in Lexie in a romantic/sexual way. For me I found Mark's relationship with Lexie to be more about changing Mark's attitude as a teacher. His treatment of interns, for example "are you a special kind of moron?" was directly contrasted with Lexie. He began as treating her similar to the others but she stood up for herself, diagnosed the patient proving her ability, had the photographic memory and so on. He asked her to scrub in because she earned it and has asked her since then because he feels (to me anyway) that she is an intern that isn't useless. IMO had Mark been attracted sexually to Lexie he would have made his move. He's well established as a manwhore and he has not shown on screen any type of conflict of "be a manwhore/no do it right this time" in regards to Lexie. None at all that I have seen. Now of course its been setup - Derek telling him not to will make him want to. All for likely the benefit of causing a conflict for Mark/Derek just as there is one for Meredith/Cristina, leaving both without their person then turning to each other. Perhaps not, but going by history MerDer always need something to happen to move, be it wives, dying, nightmares of death or third parties.

Personally I don't see it as lasting but instead could be the relationship that gets Mark to turn the new leaf once it ends. It could turn out that he learns that going after the forbidden fruit hurts Lexie in the end, something he didn't think about/intend at the start and he grows from it. Probably not as this is Grey's where characters don't really ever grow, but its a way I could see it all making sense and serving some purpose for Mark as character. Whatever happens I am just hoping there is no Afterschool Special scenes with the sister/half sister and brother/brother double dates.

Awfully Good

Awfully Good

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 15, 2008 @ 6:02 PM

I for one like the pairing, but someone in the episode discussion made me think that Sloan manwhorism will ruin it for him. I hope Lexie seems something in Mark before he pursues her.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2008 @ 6:20 PM

I for one like the pairing, but someone in the episode discussion made me think that Sloan manwhorism will ruin it for him. I hope Lexie seems something in Mark before he pursues her.

Well according to the ABC press release Lexie is supposed to find Mark doing surgery on someone in 5.10 very impressive, so I assume that's what starts a thing from her end.

I for one like the pairing, but someone in the episode discussion made me think that Sloan manwhorism will ruin it for him.

I assume something will come along to ruin it based on 100% of GA pairings, even if Shonda loves them together. I hope it's not Mark being a manwhore that ends them/their potential, because I'd like to see him out grow it even a little with someone other than Callie. And the fact that any Maxie tension might well spell angst for Mark/Derek and Mer/Der is too delicious to resist especially as Derek is maybe becoming a father figure to Lexie.

CitySites

CitySites

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 15, 2008 @ 7:13 PM

I honestly think that Mark & Lexie might be one of the worst pairings in GA. Granted, there are many horrible pairings, but I see Mark working better with Callie (which I hate, by the way) than with Lexie. I wonder if anything would be mentioned about the fact that it's an intern/attending relationship, as this has posed problems in the past.

And this doesn't really pertain to Mark & Lexie, but was there any sense of anything gradual in Meredith wanting to protect Lexie?

Reem

Reem

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2008 @ 7:28 PM

I admit I was not supportive of this couple at first,because Lexie is not not mature enough for Mark and even though I like them at the moment however,I cant see it being a long term relationship like I do with Mark and Callie.I think Mark has become really interested in Lexie when Derek told him not to go there too.

karmic380

karmic380

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2008 @ 8:36 PM

I never saw Mark previously interested in Lexie in a romantic/sexual way.

Not overtly but he at least saw her enough to comment in the season premiere that George was an idiot (for ignoring the fact that she was into him etc). I think since the start of the season he's always been very aware of her and noticeably into her but not in a sleazy, let's-have-sex-now-in-the-oncall room kind of way.

I don't have a problem with this storyline, if they do it well. I'll reserve my judgment until there's some more movement on this front.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2008 @ 8:59 PM

I don't have a problem with this storyline, if they do it well. I'll reserve my judgment until there's some more movement on this front.

That's what I'm doing. When it's good I really do love Grey's, so I hope this isn't yet another misfire. I tell myself they can't be worse than Gizzie or reincarnated Dizzie at least. It does have potential in some ways, if they get passed the "14 year old" aspect of Lexie.

VayaZ

VayaZ

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 16, 2008 @ 8:16 AM

I like the idea of this pairing. I don't think it's a huge strech. However, I don't think it's going to be a long term thing, I think it's more of a detour.

It does have potential in some ways, if they get passed the "14 year old" aspect of Lexie.

She can seem awfully young at times, but she's shown that she can be mature as well IMO.

I for one like the pairing, but someone in the episode discussion made me think that Sloan manwhorism will ruin it for him.

That's possible. He couldn't even stay faithful to Addison, who I believe he really loved. I don't think that will be the main issue with this pairing, though. I think the fact that Lexie has (or had) feelings for George will rear it's ugly head when things start to work out between them. (Kind of like Alex/Izzie and The Ghost) Maybe George will notice Lexie when he sees that she's with Big Sloan and start lusting after her.

There is also a possebility that Callie will become jealous of the time Mark spends with Lexie, and realize she has more than friendly feelings for him. I hope that doesn't happen, because I really enjoy the friendship between Mark and Callie, and nothing ruins something like that like a romance on this show.

Pixels

Pixels

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2008 @ 10:16 AM

I like it, they have a good sarcastic banter between them and chemistry which is more than most of the forced pairings this show gives us.

It gives Mark an actual story and connects him more to the main group more. Since this will tie in (and already has) to Meredith's reaction on it, Derek's reaction etc...

bookwrm74

bookwrm74

Stalker

Posted Nov 16, 2008 @ 11:10 AM

It gives Mark an actual story and connects him more to the main group more. Since this will tie in (and already has) to Meredith's reaction on it, Derek's reaction etc...

Good point---that would be a benefit of this pairing to me as well.

I'm not saying I expect or even want for Lexie/Mark to be some kind of 'true love forever' couple, but I do like both characters individually and the idea of them together. Personally, I also see them as having more chemistry than Mark and Callie, who I really haven't liked at all this season.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2008 @ 11:36 AM

I'm not saying I expect or even want for Lexie/Mark to be some kind of 'true love forever' couple, but I do like both characters individually and the idea of them together. Personally, I also see them as having more chemistry than Mark and Callie, who I really haven't liked at all this season.

Yeah, I doubt they will be a "together for ever" couple, but I agree they have more potential chemistry than Mark/Callie. I like those two as friends and friends with benefits but IMO they have little actual romantic chemistry. It would also (potentially) tie Mark into the story a little more with Mer/Der's issues with it and give him something other to do than wisecrack and be the manwhore.

StayDeadDenny

StayDeadDenny

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 16, 2008 @ 2:15 PM

Yeah, I doubt they will be a "together for ever" couple, but I agree they have more potential chemistry than Mark/Callie. I like those two as friends and friends with benefits but IMO they have little actual romantic chemistry. It would also (potentially) tie Mark into the story a little more with Mer/Der's issues with it and give him something other to do than wisecrack and be the manwhore.

My problem with this is - and after it ends then what? We've already hashed and rehashed Derek and Mark's friendship being in jeopardy due to Mark's manwhoring ways when he and Addie came to town. Also, to have Meredith come to the realization that she needs to be there for her sister due to "Manwhore McSteamy" just seems a little contrived. After its over, then what happens to Mark and his tie to Meredith and Derek. Would this POSSIBLY give Meredith and Derek more screentime, maybe. But, screentime based on this when they should be working as a couple together, and not due to her sister and his friend's romantic mishaps.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2008 @ 2:56 PM

My problem with this is - and after it ends then what? We've already hashed and rehashed Derek and Mark's friendship being in jeopardy due to Mark's manwhoring ways when he and Addie came to town. Also, to have Meredith come to the realization that she needs to be there for her sister due to "Manwhore McSteamy" just seems a little contrived. After its over, then what happens to Mark and his tie to Meredith and Derek. Would this POSSIBLY give Meredith and Derek more screentime, maybe. But, screentime based on this when they should be working as a couple together, and not due to her sister and his friend's romantic mishaps.

Now there you've got me. I have no idea where it would go if it ends, which it almost certainly will. Maybe she realises her "true love" is George and his is Callie/Addie/Sadie, no hard feelings? I'm sure the 4 of them will come in to it some how. Lexie will definitely get hurt if she is another "beer bong" to him, but even if it's only for a few eps, they don't seem to be taking it in that direction right now.

Mer/Lexieness due to McSteamy is contrived of course, but no more so than Lexie showing up just after her mother died in the first place. And it sort of makes sense given Mark's reputation and the fact that Lexie is vulnerable due to her mother's death and her father's alocholism.

Mer/Der right now aren't at all divided by the posibility, although that may probably change of course but it seems like Derek is very protective of Lexie, rather than defending Mark's personality, which has it's own squickiness of course.

Edited by Featherhat, Nov 16, 2008 @ 2:57 PM.

StayDeadDenny

StayDeadDenny

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 16, 2008 @ 3:20 PM

Now there you've got me. I have no idea where it would go if it ends, which it almost certainly will. Maybe she realises her "true love" is George and his is Callie/Addie/Sadie, no hard feelings? I'm sure the 4 of them will come in to it some how. Lexie will definitely get hurt if she is another "beer bong" to him, but even if it's only for a few eps, they don't seem to be taking it in that direction right now.

Personally, I think the only way this will end well for Mark is if he steps away when he realizes that this is just not a good situation for either he or Lexie. She's a vulnerable mess, and he taps into the good guy behind the Manwhore and respects that. Lexie, no matter how this plays out, will be viewed as the victim so no smack to her character. I happen to really enjoy the character of Mark and would hate to see him put in a bad light, especially with how wonderful he has been with Callie.

angelaudie

angelaudie

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 16, 2008 @ 3:31 PM

You know, I think Lexie and Mark could hook up, break up, and everyone comes out ok. Relationships end for a variety of reasons. They could date and realize they are better off as friends. No hard feelings and they move on to other people. As others have said, if Lexie and Mark get together it probably won't be "true love together forever" sort of deal. It would probably end up being more like Lexie gaining some maturity and Mark realizing he is capable of being in a relationship and not straying.

HalpertNBeesly

HalpertNBeesly

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 16, 2008 @ 7:14 PM

However long it lasts and for whatever its about, I dont' care, I just think these two have way more chemistry than he and Callie and I think the dynamic betweenthe two of them and the storyline possibilities are there more so than Mark being paired with anyone else. Especially because him and Callie kind of are off on their own when together and don't ever seem to interact much with others on a consistent basis & trying to push them onto others after the fact will just look forced and contrived, IMO, and I don't think that is the making of a lasting, interesting relationship.

I don't think Mark/Lexie would be forever either but I could see some serious feelings developing there. In the end, however, I think they'd part amicably because they know that there's really no future there. Still, IMO, would be HOT!

Edited by HalpertNBeesly, Nov 16, 2008 @ 7:15 PM.

Pixels

Pixels

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2008 @ 8:05 PM

Mer/Der right now aren't at all divided by the posibility, although that may probably change of course but it seems like Derek is very protective of Lexie, rather than defending Mark's personality, which has it's own squickiness of course.

Derek being paternal, Meredith maternal and Mark well Mark. Could also play off as not them divided but as funny material. A double date together or Lexie trying to talk to Meredith about Mark. Mark getting advice and talking to Derek about dating Lexie.

I think if they choose to go this route it could open up more material for them all together. Lexie and Meredith as sisters, how Derek and Meredith deal with it as a couple, and a different side to Mark and Derek other than just comic relief together.

LoveThursdays

LoveThursdays

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 10:58 PM

So i'm sort of glad they had Mark mention to Derek that the fact he told him to stay away from Lexie, was pretty much the reason he was thinking about it. To me, and hopefully it goes this way, is it's noting and short lived. They also made the point with Lexie and George tonight. So IMO this isn't going full forward. I think in the end, Mark will know it's only being told no, is what the problem is. Or at least I hope.

binturite

binturite

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 11:39 PM

I'm also in the camp that does not want to see a Mexie hookup.

If they want to have them interact, I actually think they could work very well in a storyline that has them becoming pals in a gruff, surrogate big brother and dorky little sister kind of way.

dharma84

dharma84

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 1:23 AM

After seeing Mark and Callie more it's hard for me to be objective about Mark and Lexie. Not only did he admit that he's only thinking about Lexie because she's forbidden fruit, but I was a little confused and conflicted about what Mark really means when he said he would take Lexie home with him if Derek didn't. We've got Derek's mom taking a young Mark into her home and family. Then we have a paternal Derek taking Lexie into Casa Grey's. Finally we have a paternal Mark in his own way comforting the young girl as if she were a stray. I know we are supposed to think Mark is seeing Lexie in a sexual way, but he seems to want to take care of her in a parental way, too, as the previous examples suggest adults taking in stray children in a parental/guardian way, not a sexual or romantic one. Does Mark want to take her home to sleep with her, to take her in as a stray child and put her to bed like he did the young girl, or does he want to do both in some weird way? A semi-paternal sexual attraction is problematic for me, if any of this makes sense.

StayDeadDenny

StayDeadDenny

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 10:22 AM

A semi-paternal sexual attraction is problematic for me, if any of this makes sense.

It makes total sense, and I totally agree with you. Lexie just seems so young and childlike, and the fact that the writers made sure we knew she's still in love with George last night doesn't help matters. That, plus the scenes between Mark and Callie are showcasing their chemistry. So, I think the writers have to decide what they are doing. Lexie is a little girl lost here, with feelings for someone else, and if Mark does go for it knowing this it completely undoes any progress he made in last night's episode. The whole Mark/Callie "I hate you, I love you" banter also made it harder, because I just can't see Mark pursuing Lexie after seeing them together. So, if they are going HERE, then they should stop showing scenes of Callie/Mark and stop emphasizing that Lexie loves George, unless they INTEND for whatever happens with Mark/Lexie to be the clusterfuck from hell.

Pixels

Pixels

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 11:54 AM

but I was a little confused and conflicted about what Mark really means when he said he would take Lexie home with him if Derek didn't.

He was saying he'd take her home and go after her (romantically/sex) if Derek didn't take her home to take care of her (family/parental).