Series: Star Wars

• Please log in to reply

363 replies to this topic

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2014 @ 3:37 PM

Padme did have a character. She was a cocktease and an enabler.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 7:50 AM

I'm re-watching these films starting with the prequels and so far I've made it through The Phantom Menace. I've seen the original trilogy multiple times, but I've only seen Phantom Menace once, when it was originally released in theaters and I've never seen the other two prequels. After watching this I have very little desire to watch the other two films. It wasn't completely terrible, but I felt like I was watching a childrens film and I don't recall the original trilogy being like that. The CGI and Jar Jar Binks were completely unwatchable. It looked so cheap seeing the actors mixed with the CGI and poorly blended half sets. I hope the new sequels won't be like that.

But my big question is, are the other two prequels as childish as Phantom Menace and am I misremembering the original trilogy being more mature than this?

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 9:05 AM

I recently rewatched the originals. They're better than the prequels, certainly. But I enjoy them less and less as time goes on. Perhaps overexposure. At least I haven't watched the prequels a thousand times or more.

As for eps II & III, they're better than TPM, somewhat. The action scenes are pretty good. However, AOTC has a contender for the worst dialogue ever committed to screen. The rest of us here suffered through it, so should you!

No, I mostly kid. If you aren't curious about the rest of the story about the fall of the Republic and Jedi order, then you aren't missing much except fun action scenes. And those are a dime a dozen, let's be honest. And if you want space opera, go watch action-heavy episodes of Trek, Farscape, or BSG. Or even the Tartakovsky Clone Wars cartoon. Very little plot, lots of excitement.

VCRTracking

VCRTracking

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 4:14 PM

But my big question is, are the other two prequels as childish as Phantom Menace and am I misremembering the original trilogy being more mature than this?

I always think the best age to watch the original trilogy is about 10 years old(which was what I was when I first saw it, while TPM skews more towards a five year old. Oddly the political scenes would go over their heads. Revenge of the Sith gets dark halfway through, way darker than Empire in my opinion.

Edited by VCRTracking, Apr 14, 2014 @ 4:20 PM.