2-10: "Bonfire of the Vanity" 2008.11.10 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

126 replies to this topic

Amester0120

Amester0120

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 9:21 PM

From the CW.com

Blair does not approve of the new man, Cyrus Rose (guest star Wallace Shawn), in her mother's (guest star Margaret Colin) life, so she makes it her mission to break up the lovebirds by any means necessary. Jenny moves in with Agnes (guest star Willa Holland) as the friends move forward with their plans for a fashion line. Serena continues to fall for the new guy in her life, Aaron (guest star John Patrick Amedori), but she learns something about him that threatens to end things just as they are getting really good. Dan decides to win the trust of Bart Bass (guest star Robert John Burke) in order to learn more about the man and possibly write an expose on him for Vanity Fair, but things get heated after Chuck finds out the real reason Dan is spending so much time around his family. Matthew Settle also stars

Edited by Amester0120, Nov 10, 2008 @ 9:22 PM.

Monkeyisland

Monkeyisland

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 9:28 PM

Well, that was seriously underwhelming.

Gotta love Dan's "You always have to be right. It's a trait I inherited, I'll be the first to say that." Heeheeee. Really, Dan?

Any guesses to what book Chuck was reading before having that talk with Bart at the end?

Edited by Monkeyisland, Nov 10, 2008 @ 9:29 PM.

Bubblz

Bubblz

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 9:32 PM

Not the best, but still some enjoyable stuff. I found Cyrus and Eleanor to be an adorkable couple.

I was screaming at Jenny during the dress torching scene.

"TACKLE HER! BEAT HER ASS DOWN!"

Perhaps I just have a bit of a violent streak in me, who knows.

I wanted to like Aaron, I really did. But he's weird looking and a tool. So therefore I can't.

The rest...eh.

Edited by Bubblz, Nov 10, 2008 @ 9:33 PM.

Amester0120

Amester0120

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 9:35 PM

I was screaming at Jenny during the dress torching scene.

"TACKLE HER! BEAT HER ASS DOWN!"

I was screaming "Don't just stand there and yell at her, grab the dresses!"

sendtherain

sendtherain

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 9:36 PM

I'm sad because this episode had so much potential. Each story line (especially Chuck/Dan/Bart and Blair/Cyrus/Eleanor) could have been engaging, but they tried to cram so much in that everything lost its punch.

There was next to no development in the Jenny story line, I felt. They could have cut that down this episode and given Blair/Cyrus some more resolution. It all seemed so rushed. And could we not have taken 13 more seconds to actually see Bart's reaction upon reading the story about his son's life?

Also: Aaron is the biggest douche I have ever heard of. I understand if he wants to be all free love or whatever, but stop trying to make it Serena's problem. It's your duty to be upfront with her about how you roll. He had the chance to explain last episode, and he didn't do it, thereby robbing her of her ability to tell him right off the bat that she didn't want to play games. And, really? "I really like you, Serena, but not enough that I'm willing to stop sleeping with other people." Wow, how touching. I'm swooning.

I'm so glad that Bart and Chuck have started the process of rebuilding their relationship - I would love to see one or two scenes of them bonding over the next few episodes.

And was it just me, or did Dan not look at all like he meant it when he said he felt bad about what he would do to Serena's family? He was really callous this whole episode. I was glad he didn't go through with it, but again - we should have seen more than just him sending off the short story to Bart Bass. This episode was greatly lacking in emotional payoff.

Coolkat1007

Coolkat1007

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 9:36 PM

I think Cyrus and Blair are my new favorite team! Yay.

And how adorable was Blair's line of, "This is Dorota. She's your biggest fan."

NotTonight

NotTonight

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 9:39 PM

This episode was boring and nothing like the previews made it out to be. Chuck didn't ruin Dan (that was the C plot! Noo!). In fact he saw Dan with Shapiro and did nothing? That's stupid. But, he looked really good (I loved his hair when he was reading in his room. Looked kinda perfect). Blair and Cyrus were okay. Mildly entertaining.

Dan was so annoying, "I don't want your money!" Oh, STFU! Every moment is an opportunity for him to be self-righteous.

Serena and Aaron. Blair's right. Serena is the worst wildchild ever. What kind of former slut reacts that way to a guy dating around?

However, three things I did like:
1. Chuck and Bart's scenes. I'll admit to getting a little teary eyed. I don't even know why, the story is just sad and even when I hate him, I always have soft spot for Bart Bass. And I like how Chuck had a happy ending in this episode. He rarely ever does, while all the other characters are off looking at Yale catalogues and playing football in the park. Chuck's mom was gorgeous, btw.
2. Blair's minions on the prowl! They were hilarious. "Men? Men?! WHERE ARE THE MEN!" And all vicariously living through Serena and Aaron.
3. Chuck reading in his room. Just a nice touch to a very articulate, well-spoken character that is constantly making literary references. Who wants to bet Chuck is a better writer than Dan?

Edited by NotTonight, Nov 10, 2008 @ 9:42 PM.

Loggerheads

Loggerheads

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 9:42 PM

Was it just me or was the Agnes character channeling Jodie Foster in "Taxi Driver" in the cafe?

sereion

sereion

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 9:49 PM

Bubblz, I wanted Jenny to send Agnes out on a stretcher after she burned her designs. Besides what was Jenny supposed to do? Agnes was supposed to find a business manager, yet she was out getting wasted. Jenny just took the inititative and made thing it happen for herself, I do hope she doesn't follow that guy's advice and become an emanicpated minor.

I'm glad Dan came so his senses and decided not to print the story. I like the conversation between Chuck and his father.

I thought Eleanor and Wallace Shawn were cute together.

randomnoise

randomnoise

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 9:51 PM

sendtherain, I completely agree. After spending all of last episode covering up and lying about his relationships with other girls ("oh, she's just a friend/roommate/etc"), Aaron lost his right to throw the misunderstanding ball into Serena's court. I thought all of those lies and his dogged pursuit implied exclusivity, so I'm not surprised that Serena assumed the same. I say S should get out of that while she still can anyway - she doesn't need another self-righteous "artist" and she doesn't need the conflict of interest that this relationship will create with her support for Blair.

Other thoughts:
- Seriously, Jenny? The very top dress in that trash can had about 1 teaspoon of gasoline on it . . . you definitely could have salvaged the rest of your line. And a little bit of singeing would only improve your haircut.
- I thought the Dorota/Cindy Lauper interaction was very cute. I really like Blair's positive relationship with Dorota - it humanizes her.
- Eleanor and Cyrus look uncomfortably like each other, especially in the nose region.
- Dan and Rufus can have explicit conversations about each other's shortcomings without ever thinking they should try to work on their faults.

Edited for spelling

Edited by randomnoise, Nov 10, 2008 @ 9:56 PM.

Bubblz

Bubblz

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 9:54 PM

I do hope she doesn't follow that guy's advice and become an emanicpated minor.

Yeah. Besides, doesn't it actually take quite awhile to do? I think Nathan getting emancipated on One Tree Hill was seen as unrealistically quick. I mean I guess it works to rush it for the storyline, but I think Jenny should have to deal with problems that don't have a magic solution appear at the last minute for once.

Is anyone excited for the episode where Blair outsmarts Cyrus and we get an "Inconceivable!"? Please let that reference come up at some point.

SassandtheCity

SassandtheCity

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 9:56 PM

I laughed hysterically at the ending with Serena and Aaron Rose, with Serena in her nightie that's she's WEARING OUT IN PUBLIC. Really show? Is this the show's way of compensating for Serena drawing the short end of the stick when it comes to storylines compared to pretty much everybody else?

MarigoldSkye

MarigoldSkye

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 9:57 PM

So, was it just me or did Blair's party suck? How is that even possible when Cyndi Lauper is in attendance? I mean, seriously? No Chuck, barely any Serena? Wow, great friends, B. I did love her moment of pulling Dorota forward, but that was it. Honestly, when Dorota is a highlight of an episode (heaven love her), it's time to work on that, writers.

I have liked the guy playing Aaron since the Butterfly Effect, but can't stand Aaron. What an arrogant jerk.

Thank you, Agnes, for burning Jenny's horrible dresses. I've wanted to do that every time I've had to look at them.

Edited by MarigoldSkye, Nov 10, 2008 @ 9:59 PM.

BrainyNugget

BrainyNugget

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 10:05 PM

LOL at Chuck conveniently hiding behind the columns just so he spills the beans on Dan when it was too late. LOL at Bart confessing like a fool. How ridiculous is it that Dan should find out about Bart's shady past so easily when plenty of folks with far superior resources could not? The worst part of it was Bart actually having done shady deals. It's so predictable and really it served no purpose, unless the secret is to get out in the future and Basses are to eventually lose everything.

I had hopes that the Blair plot would be more about her and Eleanor, instead it felt like a show of how awesome Wallace Shawn is. And he was, but again I found this storyline as well to be predictable and pointless.

Serena and Aaron couldn't hold my attention. Aaron is as savory as dry toast.

I blocked Jenny out for the most part, but the fire scene was very possibly the most ridiculous scene in the entire episode. She could totally have taken Agnes, and would have too just by primal instinct if those dresses meant that much to her.

Sugar Bumbee 01

Sugar Bumbee 01

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 10:05 PM

Chuck's mom was gorgeous, btw.

Seriously! The casting of this show is brilliant-- she had Chuck's same face and eye shape.

I cannot wait for the Aaron/Blair meeting. I find her dislike of him completely amusing since it seems almost as if she approves less of him than she did of *gasp* Dan. Heh.

I hope Serena went out in her nightie in November in NYC on one of those oddly warm days we had last week; that is all.

I think Eleanor/Cyrus are cute and oddly fitting. Dorota is amazing-- her "Oh no" when Blair says its time to start scheming was GOLD.

I missed Chuck's interaction with the UES kids-- and I missed Nate. Because he's pretty and his particular brand of bland is endearing to me.

dramawitch

dramawitch

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 10:13 PM

I had to call my friend when Jenny was crying and ask if I was supposed to feel sorry for her. Um...no. Karma's a bitch and it's not done with Jenny...it can't be or I'll be so disappointed. Jenny has been horrible to everyone and I was happy Agnes burned her shit. Of course, I think Jenny was weak and ridiculous for not bitch slapping Agnes and getting her stuff back..but whatever.

I also can't buy Bart all of the sudden about facing and loving Chuck, but I'll take it because I like the interaction of the two. I heart Chuck Bass..always and forever.

emilyane

emilyane

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 10:16 PM

I'm in the minority as I liked this episode - I agree it was rushed but I love the characterisation in that I believe in Jenny's stupidity because at 15 you can be that stupid; I believe in Serena's idiotic liking of Aaron because at her age I was stupid enough to go out with a boy just like that and to think that I was in some way free spirited by doing so (I later realised he was a dick, and I was just stupid for falling for it) and I think it's in keeping with Serena's character that she would make this mistake. I also think it's clear that it will be a mistake. I also liked the incidental bits with Blair and Serena and Blair and the other girls, it seemed realistic to me. As an episode over all it was filler but I thought there was real character development and also I'm a sucker for Chuck getting one moment of fatherly love and so I liked that resolution. Plus I liked Dan calling out Rufus and I love Wallace Shawn, and yes please to whoever said we should get an 'inconcievable' that will make me squeeh for all time.

Amester0120

Amester0120

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 10:21 PM

Chuck's mom was gorgeous, btw.

Seriously! The casting of this show is brilliant-- she had Chuck's same face and eye shape.

Whoa I must have missed something! When did we see what she looked like??

LunaIndigo

LunaIndigo

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 10:23 PM

They showed her picture on Chucks nightstand.

Amester0120

Amester0120

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 10:24 PM

Ok thanks LunaIndigo! I must not have have been paying attention.

LunaIndigo

LunaIndigo

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 10:25 PM

Yeah it was really quick. Hopefully someone will have a cap of it soon.

NotTonight

NotTonight

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 10:29 PM

I also can't buy Bart all of the sudden about facing and loving Chuck, but I'll take it because I like the interaction of the two. I heart Chuck Bass..always and forever.

Well, he did love him... or kinda liked him in Victor/Victrola. Plus, he does shower Chuck with money. I think that's how Bart says "I love you." I seems to be his answer to all life's problems.

I really couldn't care less about Serena and Aaron. Other than to say that his hair looks really dirty, he's a sleazy photog that would totally skeeve on an 18 year old girl, and probably one of the worst actors to ever appear on Gossip Girl... and that is REALLY saying something. He is 100000x worse than Chace Crawford on one of Nate's more bland/confused nights.

And word to Dan finding that guy to give him his big break. Couldn't any fool had found that out? And Bart should've denied, denied, denied. Dan is not that charming as to completely win over Bart. Well, not in my eyes anyhow.

As to what Chuck was reading... Tom Wolfe's The Bonfire of the Vanities.

newfoundma

newfoundma

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 10:32 PM

It has been fun watching Serena have trouble not being worshipped. It is an interesting side of her, and something we are not used to seeing (mostly because it has never happened before). Of course, Aaron is more annoying than Dan and way weirder looking, so I'm not exactly sure why S is sweating this guy.

I was a little disappointed with the Cyrus/Aaron reveal. I feel it could have been done in a way that really mortified Blair (I think every reveal on this show usually occurs just in time to embarass B).

Can Dorota get her own storyline?! She has more screen time than Erik (and almost more than Vanessa). Between judging Cyrus and loving Lauper, Dorota might be my new BFF. Sorry, B.

Little J is also moving up my list. She is seriously great, especially when played against crazy Agnes. Jenny is coming across naive but driven, which is so much better than a lot of wannabes who are just naive and entitled. I hope that we haven't seen the rest of Agnes though. I love how she was just like "Yeah, I am crazy J!" when they were fighting.

Chuck looked lovely tonight. I usually like him because of his weird looks (Tyra Banks would sign him and alieness in a heartbeat). But tonight, he looked almost normal-hot, not alien-hot. It was a nice change, but not something I want to see be permanent. Also, good to see him and Bart get along, but them seeing eye to eye pretty much signs Bart's death warrant.

cerulean14

cerulean14

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 10:33 PM

I hate Aaron! He expects Serena to drop everything and meet him at his little map places--and she does! nice leaving your best friend's party, Serena--and then when she tries to make plans or drop by, it's whoa, whoa, whoa, I'm busy with another model. Maybe his behavior would be slightly more palatable if he were slightly more attractive.

rhomon

rhomon

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 10:54 PM

Maybe his behavior would be slightly more palatable if he were slightly more attractive

Or if he didn't consider himself hip and edgy for shopping the clearance rack at Urban Outfitters and scoring Vans marked down to thirty dollars.

emilyane

emilyane

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 10:58 PM

I hate Aaron! He expects Serena to drop everything and meet him at his little map places--and she does! nice leaving your best friend's party, Serena--and then when she tries to make plans or drop by, it's whoa, whoa, whoa, I'm busy with another model.

And that's why I think this is realistic, Aaron isn't worth ten of Serena but so many teenage girls make this error and forget their best friends at this moment. I have to say that in contrast to so many teen shows Gossip Girl for all its OTTness is way out front for the realism of teen friendships among girls. I don't believe that Aaron will turn out to be a good guy, I do believe that Serena will be fooled into thinking he might be and it makes her so much more realistic. She's not this perfect hair-flicking socialite, she's a girl who believes that she is supposedly a free spirit and who will make these sort of mistakes based on that belief. Top class writing imho.

sorry the top of my previous post was written by Cerulean14, I apologise for not giving credit where credit is due but I am techonologically incompentent and while I tried to make it clear I was responding to that comment it somehow didn't work.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 11:16 PM

I thought Chuck's mom kind of looked like Blair...

Just a "meh" episode for me. The only parts that were mildly interesting were the Blair and Chuck storylines. Serena is an idiot, ditto for Jenny (though she's more believable as dumb, given that she's a 15 year old from "Brooklyn") and Dan's writing is AWFUL (especially if you freeze frame). Shouldn't this be November sweeps caliber episodes?

supermassive blackhole

supermassive blackhole

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 11:19 PM

• Aaron is both fugly and a total dick. His mustache makes me queasy. He's like the less innocent version of Dan, who knows he's full of shit and doesn't really care, because pretending to be sensitive and being an "artist" gets him laid and he sees no reason to refrain from all the pussy he can get. He is a well-drawn character though because I know his type, thankfully I never dated any Aarons but I certainly knew plenty of them. It makes me a little sad for Serena that she falls for his b/s;
  • If the paragraph we saw is anything to go by, Dan's story* is the worst-written thing I have seen since The Bad Place by Dean Koontz (of which I could not even get through the first page, the grammar was so mangled and awkward) - I paused it and seriously, that's not even Reader's Digest material, let alone any reputable rag (not that New York is all that great, frankly);
  • Jenny gets more obnoxious every episode. I didn't even like Agnes that much in this one, though she was funny in the cafe - going all psycho-bitch a la Georgina was OTT I think. I hope Little J becomes a hobo, that would be hilarious and "Little J" makes a great hobo name;
  • No Blair/Chuck? I am sad because I loves me some BC (or "Chair" - ha ha that is a ridiculous portmanteau);
  • Chuck & Bart - okay, I guess. I resent the fact that it took Dan's horribly written story (see above) to finally bring them together, when what Dan needs is a good punch in the face from Chuck for being such a colossal douchebag, and then a kick in the ass from Bart for tricking him into revealing his (stupid) secrets;
  • I liked the epic battle of Blair v. Cyrus because Wallace Shawn always seems to play a trickster - and the look on Blair's face when she said, "You outmaneuvered me!" was classic;
  • Rufus is also a douche - like father, like son; and
  • Cyndi Lauper and Dorota were adorable.

ETA: * The random capitalization of "Birthday" was bad enough! Who does that??! Also, using dates for your "story" titles has gotten old, Dan. It was funny though when dude from NY Mag was like, "we both know that's not really fiction" - in your face, Humphrey!

Edited by supermassive blackhole, Nov 10, 2008 @ 11:24 PM.

newfoundma

newfoundma

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 11:28 PM

One of my favorite things this week was Gossip Girl's narration involving Daddy Warbucks not growing on a tree that grows in Brooklyn. Gossip Girl really outdid herself there, I'm surprised she didn't pull something trying to work that convulted double reference.

sourcherry10

sourcherry10

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 11:34 PM

The episode was alright. Not terrible, just alright. It was obviously filler, which is okay because next week's episode is going to be great. Can't wait to see what happens at Thanksgiving!

I did like Jenny freaking out on Agnes, telling her she was crazy, and Agnes screaming back at her, "Yeah, I know" (this is all paraphrased). The storyline is getting a bit silly (hopefully things get more entertaining next week), but Taylor Momsen is definitely rocking the material she's been given. Same for Willa.

I could not believe Serena - dashing out on Blair's birthday party? That's awful. I was surprised Blair didn't bitch at her more for it. And this Aaron guy is so not worth it.

Glad Dan decided not to write the story... and it was nice to see Bart apologizing to Chuck.