Deadly Women

• Please log in to reply

132 replies to this topic

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2013 @ 9:19 PM

When they said 500 babies...I was stunned.

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 10:30 AM

Wow, when they mentioned Joan Crawford adopting out of Georgia's office, I couldn't help but wonder if Christina and Christopher Crawford were swiped from poor mother's by Georgia, too.  They might've been spared abusive childhoods had they grown up with their own families.

Also, I'm amazed DW hasn't done Ann Miller already.  That one has been done to death on so many other shows.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 2:40 PM

Yes, I had heard Joan 'obtained' her kids from Georgia Tann. I heard Christina did much later find her birth parents; I am not sure about Christopher. Christina was told her mother was young and father was in the military but I wonder if that was ever true.

I was thinking about that segment again and it's just incredible the devastating toll one person and their helpers took on a city and state - and with the help of authorities, against its own citizens. Just...not a great ad for humanity, really.

Remind me of Ann Miller? Faces ring a bell more than names for me.

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 3:38 PM

She was a Tann baby for real?  How horrible!  

Ann Miller was another money-hungry wife who killed her husband when he went into business for himself at a much lower salary.  She had an affair with a coworker named Darryl Willard who spiked Eric Miller's beer at a bowling alley with arsenic.  Eric recovered, then fell ill again and died in the hospital when Ann tampered with his IV.

Willard committed suicide when confronted by the police.  Ann was convicted, in part, when Willard's attorney was forced to turn over notes in which his client spilled the beans about Eric's death.

Edited by PJWatcher, Sep 22, 2013 @ 11:41 AM.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 9:08 PM

Oh then the Ann Miller story was just on, in this same episode. 

It's actually Joan's youngest, the 'twins' (they are not really) who I heard the most about being from Tann's 'agency.' Christina, I've only heard that online.

At any rate, 500 dead babies "and that's just the ones they know about" is just mind-blowing. For an adoption agency.

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 7:15 AM

Oh then the Ann Miller story was just on, in this same episode. 

Yes, that's right.  I was surprised it took them so long to profile this one as this story has been done to death on other true crime shows.  

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 9:22 AM

Oh I misunderstood this

Also, I'm amazed DW hasn't done Ann Miller already

to read, "hasn't done Ann Miller's story by now."

That story made me highly annoyed with her - so many women hoping to find a decent, kind man - and so many stories on these crime shows about women who found one then drained him dry of coin, ruined his life, or murdered him. What the heck is that about?

I just wanna tell those types of women, "can you please leave the nice ones for the rest of us since what you really prefer is a sociopathic wealthy alpha male - a male you?" But then I guess there would be no story if everything in life were uneventful.

Primula62

Primula62

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 7, 2014 @ 9:33 PM

I realize this is an older thread, but I've only recently began watching "Deadly Women" on NetFlix, and its both fascinating and disturbing.  I've noticed that some of the segments do mention whether the perpetrator had this or that mental disorder, but some segments leave out this information.  This seems odd to me, as some of the perpetrators' psychiatric diagnoses were disclosed during their trials (so its public information.)  The segment on Aileen Wuornos for example did not mention that she had been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder.   I was hoping to find an episode breakdown of this series that included the psychological evaluations of each of the perpetrators, but I guess I'll have to do my own research, instead.

falconress

falconress

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 17, 2014 @ 10:01 PM

I am fascinated by Candace DeLong, she's just so bizarre! 

Two tidbits about her, to help flesh out what her deal is.

She started out as a psychiatric nurse. She's mentioned this at least once.

She was one of the FBI agents who raided the Unabomber's compound. She was assigned to sit inside the cabin with him and keep him busy talking while other agents were carrying out the search warrant outside. She said it was very awkward and basically he gave her a six-hour lecture about some agriculture technique that was the most boring thing she'd ever heard.

She was interviewed about that in a documentary about the Unabomber.

Considering her background as a psychiatric nurse, I have a feeling she was attracted to the crazy side from very early on and that's why she made it her vocation. 

Her bark is definitely worse than her bite. She's got a few episodes where she interviews notorious female prisoners and then assesses, for the camera, whether they are showing genuine remorse or should remain behind bars for the rest of their lives. She's very kind in her approach when she speaks with them, and she's also surprisingly compassionate when she's assessing them. It's an interesting contrast to how judgy she seems to be on the other episodes.

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2014 @ 7:50 AM

I've noticed that, too.  Is it "Facing Evil" where she interviews?  I liked how she admitted that Jennifer Hyatte probably wasn't a dangerous person at all, but just wasn't accepting responsibility for her actions when she claimed not to remember the shooting.

On the other hand, she seemed quite compassionate when dealing with Dawn Silvernail who really does seem very remorseful.

autumn0820

autumn0820

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 18, 2014 @ 8:42 AM

I got into this show a few months ago, as horrible and gruesome as these women are, it's also very intrigueing.  Although half the crime scenes I fast forward or turn away lol, I still continue to watch.  I also find Candice Delong fascinating, some of the stuff that comes out of her mouth is freaking awesome lol.  At the end of watching a show sometimes I will google the women just to find out what they really look like, it bothers the heck out of me that they don't even show a mug shot! lol.

falconress

falconress

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 18, 2014 @ 12:28 PM

Is it "Facing Evil" where she interviews?

Yes, you're right! It got mixed up in my mind. This is the show where she goes to prisons to interview certain offenders.

I think she's deliberately overly-dramatic in the narration on Deadly Women. Sometimes it sounds like she's reading off the back cover of one of those cheesy old-time paperback detective books. When she goes to the prisons, she sounds much more natural, and I noticed that no matter how stern she would be talking to the camera before going in, she was invariably more compassionate once she was face-to-face with the women, and usually also more compassionate in her assessment.

From Deadly Women, I would really be scratching my head trying to figure out what kind of psychiatric nurse she was. But from Facing Evil, I can picture her being an empathetic nurse.  

As far as her personal appearance, I think she should stick with the slightly spikey pixie haircut (or wig). She's an attractive woman with compelling eyes, but those other wigs she's worn, good lord.

applecrisp

applecrisp

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 19, 2014 @ 9:01 AM

They are only showing reruns now of Deadly Women. It can be salacious but I still like it.  The older crimes facinate me the most because I've never heard them.  I've seen Facing Evil as well but don't like the title for some reason so it has kept me from watching- if that makes sense.

On one show she metiontioned one women was a nurse and couldn't believe a nurse could do such a thing.  In the early shows, they showed the medcal examiner more and am glad they stopped because she would talk about how someone died and how painful it was.  One thing i learned is poison is often a very painful death.