1-5: "Things to Do in New York When You Think You're Dead" 2008.11.06 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

79 replies to this topic

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2008 @ 1:36 PM

From zap2it.com:

The brutal murder of a black girl triggers a racial confrontation; Sam battles race attitudes in his own precinct; a dramatic standoff on a rooftop leads to gunshots.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Nov 6, 2008 @ 11:01 PM

Damn, Freamon, Cutty, and Frank Sobotka! This show is really becoming welfare for Wire actors.

I actually went to a funeral today, so I was in a really weird headspace in those last few minutes.

airylli

airylli

Posted Nov 6, 2008 @ 11:02 PM

I wish they'd focused more on the actual race issues as it really didn't go too deep but I continue to be pleasantly surprised by this show. Don't know how I feel about the ending, though.

While A Coyote

While A Coyote

Couch Potato

So in THIS episode No Nuts believes Sam?

I bet she'll be skeptical again next episode.

Holy inconsitentcy, Batman!

Also: Lisa Bonet sighting. Ickie! Ptui! Feh!

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

OK, I think I may have pulled a muscle when Sam broke out with the Vanilla Ice. I was dying.

Dawnie_Faith

Dawnie_Faith

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2008 @ 11:04 PM

That was wonderful. The stunt casting of Whoopi Goldberg was a bit distracting, but luckily it wasn't an enormous role.

But other than that... wow. The scene between the two (well, three, I guess, counting both past and future versions) in the car was very nicely done. There was a such a genuine sense of emotion present, that didn't devolve into treacle. Beautiful.

Also loved how Sam was all "badge trumps cloth, Chris", only to have the priest comment that Sam obviously didn't know he'd been a boxer. Heh.

ETA: Loved Ice, Ice Baby!

Edited by Dawnie_Faith, Nov 6, 2008 @ 11:14 PM.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Nov 6, 2008 @ 11:05 PM

The DJ was Whoopi Goldberg, right? That was unexpected.

That guy was interesting at the end there. Not sure what this means, though.

wish liszt

wish liszt

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2008 @ 11:06 PM

Cutty! Lester! Frank Sobotka! (The 73 priest look is terrible on him, BTW.)

I HATE it when television shows shove god down the viewers' throats. I can't look past that for this one, either.

Also, my ABC affiliate sucks so I have no idea what happened between Sam picking up the paper and seeing Dubya's face and him ending up on the roof with his gun drawn. Hopefully it wasn't anything important. Thanks a lot, WFAA.

TV_Buffy

TV_Buffy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2008 @ 11:07 PM

Wow. What a great episode. The Ice, Ice Baby I saw coming, but laughed hysterically anyway. The scene in the car with past/present Freamon was just beautiful, as was the funeral scene. I hope this is the episode where the show has hit its stride, cause I want to see many, many more like this.

While A Coyote

While A Coyote

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2008 @ 11:12 PM

The DJ was Whoopi Goldberg, right? That was unexpected.

Well, at least if you have Tivo or something and haven't watched a single TV commercial break on ABC in the past week!

Cause man, they've been SO over-hyping Whoopsters appearance on this show, for what basically turned out to be a big nothing. No signs of an Academy Award winner in what we saw tonight, I think. This was more like the Whoopie who had a bad sitcom for about a month.

That guy was interesting at the end there. Not sure what this means, though.

If its typical of the pattern they seem to be setting on this show, there's a 95% or so chance its a red herring. I think their attitude is to throw a lot of stuff against the wall and see what sticks. Prop up a theory one week, then another one the next. And the "false ones" turn out to be Sam's imagination, I guess.

Khajiit

Khajiit

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2008 @ 11:13 PM

This was great! Loved Clams and loved that Denise Watkins had her own little theme song. Whoopi was a wee bit distracting, but not too horrible.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Nov 6, 2008 @ 11:16 PM

Well, at least if you have Tivo or something and haven't watched a single TV commercial break on ABC in the past week!

Life On Mars and Pushing Dasies are the shows I watch on ABC, and I missed Pushing Dasies this week, so I saw no ads for her.

While A Coyote

While A Coyote

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2008 @ 11:20 PM

Life On Mars and Pushing Dasies are the shows I watch on ABC, and I missed Pushing Dasies this week, so I saw no ads for her.

Lucky you. Just flipping channels and not even watching ABC that closely, its been annoying.

I wonder if Whoopie's appearances actually sell anyone on watching anything any more. Well, except for fans of The View. I suppose a few of them schlepped themselves over to the show tonight.

JodithGrace

JodithGrace

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2008 @ 11:35 PM

What's really sad is that Whoopie Goldberg is actually a terrific actress, but she can't play any kind of a part nowadays without it being stunt casting. she was perfectly fine in the part, but it would have been better if the DJ had just been an anonymous actor. As it was, when Sam was so surprised to see her, I fully expected him to say, "Hey, aren't you Whoopie Goldberg?"

I like the twist that the death he kept getting visions of, wasn't his but "Clams'." But that penultimate scene with mysterious homeless guy and Keisha walking off together was pretty cliched. on the other hand, I really liked the final scene with Sam and his younger self praying.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2008 @ 11:45 PM

Sam's rendition of "Ice, Ice Baby" was possibly the trippiest thing on this show to date. Except for his audience thinking it was cool.

Whoopie's role was mildly amusing but nothing to get worked up about.

I'm starting to get a weird feeling about Hunt, Sam and Ray. Not entirely sure if I'm putting it right but it's almost like sometimes he's the focus of the show and Sam is there to be the angel on his shoulder as opposed to Ray's devil. Especially when "Clam" said to Ray, "Don't you ever stop?"

No Windy and Annie had only a minor role this episode so my libido would be wearing a frownie face if Denise's legs hadn't perked perked it up.

And why the Lisa Bonet hate? I like her.

Bulldog

Bulldog

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2008 @ 11:54 PM

Regarding Whoopi - Did I miss it, or was her name not even in the opening credits? I guess we were suppose to be shocked when we saw her, but as others pointed out, the relentless promos ruined any suprise.

Still, I enjoyed the episode. This and Fringe are the only two new shows I'm still watching.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

• Interests:Heroes, Stargate SG-1, Smallville, Criminal Minds, Eureka, House, Good Eats

Posted Nov 7, 2008 @ 12:04 AM

This episode felt like they finally found their feet.

Re: Annie. I don't see her being a sympathetic ear meaning she's not a skeptic. Last week's advice to Sam was skeptical but on point. This week the skeptic side didn't need to come forward, so we just got the ear.

I liked Whoopi, but her speech rhythms are unique. I think it was supposed to be a shock that she was the DJ, but I recognized her voice practically from the first word.

I actually thought Gene shot Angel.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2008 @ 12:15 AM

I actually thought Gene shot Angel.

So did I. I was so shocked my jaw was on the floor until the reveal.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2008 @ 12:33 AM

Really? It was obvious to me. That was the one dissapointing thing to me, that and the fact it was obvious from the beginning that he was innocent. Will admit the funeral at the end caught me by surprise.

Edited by Tricksterson, Nov 7, 2008 @ 12:34 AM.

quirkygal

quirkygal

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 7, 2008 @ 12:34 AM

OK, I think I may have pulled a muscle when Sam broke out with the Vanilla Ice. I was dying.

I know - me too! Sadly, I now have the song stuck in my head but it was one of those great moments.

I was glad to see Lisa Bonet as Maya this week. She's what Sam's fighting to get back for and I do believe that he needs to have contact with with her (and surprisingly his mentors - her folks. No wonder he was sooooooo worked up in the first episode about "meeting" Maya's folks as her boyfriend.)

Anyhooo - so far it's the best episode of the season.

Ginn

Ginn

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2008 @ 12:43 AM

I'm normally extremely easy to misdirect, so I'm quite surprised I didn't fall for the Gene ruse for a minute. But the fact that they even expected us to think it was possible for Gene to shoot a guy in cold blood like that dismayed me. I admit I missed part of the beginning of the episode, but from what I saw Gene, Ray, and Chris were trying to lynch a man because he might have killed a girl and actually, you know, doing their jobs and investigating was too much of a hassle. How can I sympathize with characters like that?

That said, I also liked the scene in the car - I can't quite say I loved it because as usual, the writing used a brick to the head where a simple tap to the shoulder would do to let us know Sam saw his mentor as a beloved father figure. All the "touched by an angel" nonsense had me gagging, too. Urgh. The best times in this episode were Sam and his mentor's scenes just with each other - Sam's goofy "how cool is this?!" joy at partnering up with the man who would become his idol was a real joy to watch.

I also wish that the show had examined race a bit more, especially through Fletcher and the compromises he made to get along with the racists in the rest of the NYPD. He got a bit of criticism for his policework from Whoopi and his future wife, but it wasn't enough IMO. They could have done something really thought-provoking with him.

Dawnie_Faith

Dawnie_Faith

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2008 @ 1:21 AM

quirkygal - is Maya supposed to be Fletcher's daughter? It didn't seem like it to me upon first viewing... Yes, she was in mourning, but she and Sam worked together, so she was presumably close to Fletcher as well (maybe not as close, but I'd believe she saw him as a beloved boss, even if he wasn't her mentor).

Did I miss something? Did she call Denise "mom"? The sound on my television flickers in and out sometimes, so that could be it...

BethForFreedom

BethForFreedom

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 7, 2008 @ 1:35 AM

Above, someone said:

I wonder if Whoopie's appearances actually sell anyone on watching anything any more. Well, except for fans of The View.

I am NOT a fan of The View, in fact the few times I have seen it for a few seconds, it turns me off-and I turn it off.

But I am a BIG fan of Whoopi's, whether as standup comedienne or as actress (loved her in Color Purple, loved her in recent sitcom that failed)....and yes she is the only reason I tuned in tonight. I was disappointed, as I felt she was really wasted.
And, yes, she was also over-promoted.

In general, I was really excited initially by the concept of this show, but after the first episode, I could barely watch the 2nd...and I purposely missed the following ones. Except for the yellow tint coloring to the screen, I am not feeling the big difference of being in 1973. I am disappointed there isn't more "culture shock". However, I remember living through that time, and except for being without computers and cell phones, it didn't feel all that different from now.

Other than that, I have found the show confusing and boring. So don't know if I will be watching again, but did want to find out what others were thinking, so am grateful you all are here.

Edited by TWoP Roxy, Nov 7, 2008 @ 12:10 PM.
quote tags, paragraph spaces

HermioneG

HermioneG

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 7, 2008 @ 1:51 AM

What's really sad is that Whoopie Goldberg is actually a terrific actress, but she can't play any kind of a part nowadays without it being stunt casting. she was perfectly fine in the part, but it would have been better if the DJ had just been an anonymous actor. As it was, when Sam was so surprised to see her, I fully expected him to say, "Hey, aren't you Whoopie Goldberg?"

It really looked like he was about to say that.

And Annie? Amniocentesis.

Schonwynn

Schonwynn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 7, 2008 @ 2:18 AM

I really liked this episode. I thought it was well executed, and I laughed out loud a few times and really felt some genuinely emotional moments. This show is fast becoming one of my favourites.

I didn't find it too 'touched by an angel'-y, at least I don't think it necessarily needs to be taken that way. Generally, people who go through such huge/frightening events in their lives tend to embrace religion or spirituality more (even though who have leaned more to the atheist side) so I thought it was pretty reasonable that the show explored this angle of Sam's situation. Certainly someone who had embraced Christianity as a child would draw on some of that experience at some point to try and explain what may be happening to him, so I see this partly as Sam's mind exploring another angle. Also, prayer was something that young Sam used as a coping mechanism, so it makes sense for this to come back to him again, at a time when he would feel he could benefit.

I'm glad I never saw any promos for the show (I only watch Pushing Daisies and LoM on ABC, and when I do the ABC ads are programmed over those of by the Canadian stations that bought those shows), because Whoopi was a huge surprise-- I never had the chance to know it might be her voice over the radio. I thought she was good, if a tad underutilized.

Edited by Schonwynn, Nov 7, 2008 @ 2:54 AM.

CalAggie

CalAggie

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2008 @ 2:20 AM

I was wondering if Maya was Clams and Denise's daughter, but at the funeral she called Denise "Denise" when she said that she wished Sam could be have been there.

I actually liked the more spiritual aspect. I do not want it to be the end all. And there are a bunch of possibilities thrown, and it is up to the audience to choose the one they perfer.

When Angel was not shown I figured it was a fake out. Whoopie seemed to know too, and the nod was a sign of her being impressed that Sam let the community have their blood for blood and thus end it all, and also save Angel.

I did not expect to find Clams in the coffin, I thought it would be Sam.

Until the ending with the bum saying that Sam said good by to his real father, I had always thought that Sam's father had not left him, but had been murdered and that Sam would discover this and find the murderer and thus his feels about his father and being abandoned by him would be resolved. But this episode made it clear his father really was not a father.

I really have a bad memory, but did we see Clams in the show premiere? But then, I was a little confused with all the verb tenses if Clams was already dead before Sam leaped.

It helps not having seen the BBC original. It does not ruin the show for me.

Edited by CalAggie, Nov 7, 2008 @ 2:24 AM.

While A Coyote

While A Coyote

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2008 @ 2:24 AM

Could someone with TIVO check something?

The Priest.

Did he age "appropriately" between the 1970s and 200x (we don't know for SURE it was 2008)?

CalAggie

CalAggie

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2008 @ 2:46 AM

The priest looked about 30 or so in 73, and his later 60s during the funeral, so I do not think there was a real continuity glitch. But again, I was a little confused about when Clams died. A couple of times Sam used the past tense about Clams which made me unsure if Clams was dead in 2008. But then if he were already dead in 2008 why wasn't Sam at the funeral.

How long has he been in 1973?

Didn't he see Keisha near his 73-self and his mother's apartment building? Because it did not seem to be the black and Porto Rican part of town. And I would think that had his young-self and his mother lived in the neighborhood that he would have worried about them with all the rioting. Of course if this is all Sam's subconscious, it does not matter -- so in the immortal words of Emily Latella, "Never mind."

Edited by CalAggie, Nov 7, 2008 @ 2:46 AM.

bear88

bear88

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2008 @ 4:13 AM

"Clams" wasn't dead in the premiere. Sam was surprised that he had died, apparently after his trip back in time.

But Maya's presence at the funeral changes the dynamic of Sam not knowing her fate. The homeless guy saved things by tossing in doubt about whether any of this was real.

I found the episode more than a little ludicrous. The portrayal of the black nationalist group was silly, and Whoopi Goldberg was distracting as this weird "Wolfman Jack" character. All of the stupid undermined what should have been a powerful, and was at times affecting, episode about Sam meeting Clams as a young man.

Odac

Odac

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2008 @ 4:54 AM

The brutal murder of a black girl triggers a racial confrontation; Sam battles race attitudes in his own precinct; a dramatic standoff on a rooftop leads to gunshots.

When I read this, I immediately thought "uh-oh, sounds like another insufferably preachy episode." Fortunately, not so much. In fact, it was an almost excessively breezy, superficial ep. for a story about race riots and police on the hunt to chase down & kill a suspect before he could be brought to trial. I really hope this is an aberration and that the rest of the series doesn't continue this superficial tone, but for this one episode I thoroughly enjoyed it. It helps that I just got a huge kick out of the whole Blacksploitation theme, I love all those old Blacksploitation flicks, and here not only does Sam find out his old mentor was Shaft back in the day, but how could you not love Cleopatra Jones as a lawyer?

I loved seeing Sam & "Clams" male bonding & cruising around in Sam's muscle car. They make a terrific buddy cop team, O'Malley has way more chemistry with "Clams" than with anyone else in the cast. I'm kind of hoping they bring him back as a recurring character in a more substantive story.

About the part where Sam invents rap, well, on one level it was downright painful. It was awkward how they had the opportunity come up, the Black Militant demanding that this white hostage try to rhyme really made no sense; even if Sam did sort of bring it up, why would this Black Militant want to hear this honky's whack-ass rhymes? (or whatever the 1973 equivalent of "whack-ass" was). And the whole thing was just so cliché. But despite all that, it was still just damm funny. (Although in reality I don't think anyone could even recite the actual lyrics to "Ice Ice Baby" if called upon, it was all about that riff stolen from "Under Pressure" and the novelty of a white guy rapping.)

I seem to be willing to forgive this ep. an awful lot because I just found it real entertaining, but the end did kind of bug me. All these cynical, hardnosed cops are completely convinced by this guy's story, which, painful as it is for me to admit Ray being the voice of reason but he's absolutely right; it's exactly the story you would expect a guilty man to come up with. But they believe him because their "nose" tells them so, despite the fact there are supposedly two witnesses? And so rather then even take him in and give him a chance to prove his innocence at trial, they actually help him escape???