Genre: Biopic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

74 replies to this topic

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2010 @ 4:26 PM

I actually think it's a good choice. Sasha Baron Cohen is very talented and I think he can pull off a decent dramatic role.

Regarding the John Belushi movie, I was reading something where Phillips mentioned wanting to do a biopic closer to the soul of Belushi than a straight-forward retelling of his life. I was so glad to hear that. I generally hate "greatest hits" biopics, including Ray and Walk The Line. And the ones that I enjoy, like Nixon and Control, I feel offer something different to the biopic genre. I would be willing to sacrifice realism if it gets to the core of why a larger-than-life character was larger-than-life, part of the reason why I consider I'm Not There to be one of the best biopics of all time.

Something I've pondered is what constitutes a biopic? In other words, how much of a person's life must the film be about. Would something like Frost/Nixon fall under the genre? Capote? 24 Hour Party People?

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2010 @ 2:06 PM

Something I've pondered is what constitutes a biopic? In other words, how much of a person's life must the film be about.

I'd always thought a biopic was a movie based on the actual significant events of a distinguished person's life. I always understood that certain facts might be left out for dramatic license or to make for an easier to follow story, but that the spirit of the movie ultimately told a true [dramatized] story.

One example would be "Sergeant York" (1941), which is a biopic of WWI hero, Alvin York. I've seen the film several times and think it's a fine film. It tells the highlights of York's life: growing up in the backwoods of Tennesee, his days of drinking and brawling, his religious conversion, desire to avoid the 1917 draft as a conscientious objector, his service in the infantry, the capture of German soldiers, his tickertape parade in NYC upon his return in 1919, and the home and farm he wanted to start a life with along with his future wife, Gracie.

The movie never gets bogged down with too many details (and I'm sure the Production Code lead to the whitewashing of others) but ultimately you get a film about a war hero who tends to be left out of history books (chances are, if you ask anyone under 50 who York was and it's likely you'd get silence and a pair of shrugged shoulders).

What got left out for example was how York was very poor with finances and frequenly found himself broke. The movie also had the happy ending which had the The Rotary Club of Nashville raising money and having bought the tract of land York wanted and built a house on it as a reward for his service. The movie left out that the property wasn't fully paid for, the house was unfinished and the club stuck York with the mortgage.

So the movie had a true story to tell, and one would get the jist of York's life, and perhaps be inspired to look further into his real life exploits.

I posted earlier about a bad example of a biopic, "The Hurricane". Just about everything in that film was a flat out lie and unfortunately many people who've seen the film think it was all true! At the time, Denzel Washington was up for an Oscar for best actor in that film, but public furor from those associated with the original case may have prevented his winning it. It's not Denzel's performance that was the problem, but the fact that the entire story was a lie and director Norman Jewison continued with the lie. Sure it wasn't meant to be a documentary, but so many things were left out or fudged in some way, it ceased being a true story.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2010 @ 7:12 PM

Steven Spielberg's Abraham Lincoln biopic is back on.
There aren't many actors I would say is an upgrade over Liam Neeson, but Daniel Day-Lewis is one. I wonder if he's going to walk around in a stovepipe hat and challenge random strangers to 'rassle'.

swtrgrl

swtrgrl

Stalker

Posted Dec 22, 2010 @ 12:36 PM

I rather liked Pollock. I thought it was well done all around. But then again, I'm unapologetically a fangirl for Ed Harris.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2011 @ 4:53 AM

Six "Based On A True Story" movies with unpleasant epilogues.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Dec 17, 2011 @ 12:36 AM

I saw that list. It was pretty depressing. Especially the ones about "Julie And Julia" and "Stand And Deliver".

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2011 @ 9:06 AM

Just goes to show you that life doesn't have fairy tale Hollywood endings.

delplata

delplata

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2011 @ 10:42 PM

Just so interested to see how Meryl Streep works out on "The Iron Lady" aka Margaret Thatcher. What I like about Meryl is that in the clips of the movie she seems to have a lot of fun with Thatcher, aka playing her with a mischievous glint in her eye. Apparently they also deal with Thatcher's growing dementia in the film.

Edited by delplata, Dec 20, 2011 @ 1:05 AM.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2011 @ 10:40 AM

Just goes to show you that life doesn't have fairy tale Hollywood endings.

No kidding. In Brockovich's case, I remember her ex-husband and her ex-boyfriend (portrayed by by Sam Elliott in the film) were arrested for trying to blackmail her.

Just so interested to see how Meryl Streep works out on "The Iron Lady" aka Margaret Thatcher. What I like about Meryl is that in the clips of the movie she seems to have a lot of fun with Thatcher, aka playing her with a mischievous glint in her eye. Apparently they also deal with Thatcher's growing dementia in the film.

I'm hearing mixed comments on this one. Some say it's another future Oscar win for Streep, others are calling it a cheap hit piece on Thatcher.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Dec 21, 2011 @ 3:55 PM

Given those particular sources, the "mix" seems to be divided by political leanings.

chesslover

chesslover

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 8:44 PM

Anthony Hopkins is Alfred Hitchcock http://www.comingsoo...ws.php?id=89394

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

Wow, that's pretty good.

lastdaughterfk

lastdaughterfk

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

Anthony Hopkins is Alfred Hitchcock http://www.comingsoo...ws.php?id=89394

WOW! This is the kind of casting that makes you preorder the tickets without even knowing anything else. Good call!

Also it is me or Anthony Hopkins is the Charlton Heston of our generation?

Is there any other post Heston (Moses, Cid, Ben-Hur, Soylent Green, Planet of the Apes, Omega Man, Michelangelo, Marc Anthony...) actor with more iconic characters than him? (Hannibal, Picasso, Van Helsing, Charles Dickens, Quasimodo, Nixon, Odin...)

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

I got the chance to watch Selena the other day and was reminded how sad it was. She was so young, murdered senselessly. I thought JLo did a good job. It was the role that put her on the map.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

I love Selena. It was definitely the high point of Jennifer Lopez's film career -- everything else she's done is either a guilty pleasure or just plain sucks, depending on whose opinion it is.

I remember reading that one of Selena's friends lamented that they should have been making a movie WITH Selena instead of about her. The same can be said about a lot of people that are no longer with us.