I Survived: Complete with Black Screen of PAIN!

• Please log in to reply

73 replies to this topic

Kaotikitty

Kaotikitty

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 3, 2010 @ 5:17 PM

I agree about not liking to watch this show at night! I make sure I have something light and humourous on the DVR before I delve into an episode of this, so I can erase some of my tension after. I also agree about this being worse than any fiction horror movie.

One thing this show has done for me is really make me think about what I would do in various situations. Not just in the victim role, but as one of those people the victim asks for help. I understand that the smart thing is to tell someone they can't come in but you'll call 911 for them, but I don't know if I could refuse to let in a hurt woman -- even knowing it could put me in danger. (Sorry to sound sexist, but I think I'd be less afraid of/more emotional towards a lone woman in the situation.) I couldn't not do anything, though.

klorox

klorox

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 9:20 AM

i watch this show on the Biography channel. Thanks for the thread on it. It just shows how life is stranger than fiction. It is the most terrifying program on TV. I feel like a whiner when I see what these people have been through. The woman that fell into the fish processor and had to have her legs amputated was so amazing. She said that she didn't let it get her down and just looked forward to the future. Wow. I just can't believe that they wanted her to jump in there and clean that machine when the boat was going through a storm with 50 foot waves. No common sense was shown by the management to insist on that.

I saw this same episode over the weekend. I had heard the fish processor story before and it still amazes me. The question I have is why wasn't it standard procedure for the machine's power to be cut at the breaker before anyone gets in there to clean it? I hope that company takes care of that woman for the rest of her life.

missmonty

missmonty

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 27, 2010 @ 12:49 PM

Watched one of the new episodes last night and was impressed. I think we have one of our first ever "assailant dies" episodes. Ole girl was an ER nurse and her ex had hired somebody to kill her. The assailant attacked her with a hammer in her home. She kept fighting and fighting. He beat the snot out of her but she kicked him, bit him (saying if it didn't get him to let go of the hammer at least there'd be evidence to try to convict him) and finally rolled on top of him. I think she said she even got nose to nose with him at one point and told him she wasn't going to let him kill her. Once she rolled on top of him, she put him in a sleeper hold until he stopped moving then ran to the neighbors until cops came. Yep, she killed him.

BUD'nLOU

BUD'nLOU

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2010 @ 9:53 PM

Watched one of the new episodes last night and was impressed. I think we have one of our first ever "assailant dies" episodes. Ole girl was an ER nurse and her ex had hired somebody to kill her. The assailant attacked her with a hammer in her home. She kept fighting and fighting. He beat the snot out of her but she kicked him, bit him (saying if it didn't get him to let go of the hammer at least there'd be evidence to try to convict him) and finally rolled on top of him. I think she said she even got nose to nose with him at one point and told him she wasn't going to let him kill her. Once she rolled on top of him, she put him in a sleeper hold until he stopped moving then ran to the neighbors until cops came. Yep, she killed him.

That lady was a badass! She's my hero.

kimmako

kimmako

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2010 @ 8:07 AM

There was another older woman who killed/wounded some of her assailants. She and her husband lived in the country, and at least three guys came in to rob them. Not to be a downer, but she was devasted at having actually killed someone even though she and her husband were seriously hurt themselves.

missmonty

missmonty

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 28, 2010 @ 2:10 PM

Not to be a downer, but she was devasted at having actually killed someone even though she and her husband were seriously hurt themselves.

I caught the very end of that one but didn't see the lead up. Forgot about that episode. The ER nurse from this week was pretty upset about killing the guy, too. She said "everybody has somebody who loves them". It was something about her attitude, though, when recounting the crime. Like BUD'nLou said, she was badass.

ladynred

ladynred

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 1:37 PM

I have been addicted to this show since it premiered.

The thing I have learned the most from these shows?

PLAY DEAD....

yourbabymomma

yourbabymomma

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 2:05 PM

This show to me is like crack. It's very riveting.
Play dead indeed!!
I feel like I should be taking notes from everyone's stories, especially the boat ones. I skip over the snow ones. For some reason those don't do it for me.
Just watched the one with Betty and Gordy. Something similar happened out this way about a year ago. Someone had robbed a jewelry store (or tried to) and was running amok, eventually knocked down the door of an elderly couple and held them hostage for a while. They fed him, kept company, similar to what happened with the folks on the show, except that this dude wasn't quite as threatening as the one on I Survived.
I almost thought it was the same story! It's interesting to see the cooperation levels and thought process in folks of different ages/generations.

Malenky Zaichik

Malenky Zaichik

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 7, 2010 @ 4:44 AM

I was curious in hearing more about some of the stories, and a Google search brought up some interesting results.
One of the stories involved a woman in rural Texas who was shot through her driver side window in the arm with a shotgun by some crazy guy. He killed her cousin and kidnapped her, but she somehow convinced him to call 911. He got life, but the woman's story doesn't end there. The shotgun injury forced her to leave her job as an EMT, and she collected disability. Then the ambulance company she worked for went out of business, leaving her with nothing. She apparently makes too much to qualify for welfare, and doesn't have the money to have surgery too remove the rest of the buckshot. (Yay for insurance companies!)

The other one I came across was concerning Tracey McSwigin (Now Tracey Attis), the woman who saved her brother from a house fire but lost her mom, dad, and two sisters. Her brother from what I could gather developed a cocaine addiction (not unusual for someone who is exposed to such trauma, they want to numb the pain), which I suspect caused his fatal heart-attack at 31. This hit Tracey very hard and she had a mini breakdown. She checked into a psychiatric hospital with assurance from her boss that her job was safe, but she was fired two days later. She is now suing her former employer saying she was illegally fired because of a mental disability.

chailey

chailey

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2010 @ 3:31 PM

Watched one of the new episodes last night and was impressed. I think we have one of our first ever "assailant dies" episodes. Ole girl was an ER nurse and her ex had hired somebody to kill her. The assailant attacked her with a hammer in her home. She kept fighting and fighting. He beat the snot out of her but she kicked him, bit him (saying if it didn't get him to let go of the hammer at least there'd be evidence to try to convict him) and finally rolled on top of him.

I remember this case. I think that she was able to survive in part due to the fact that she outweighed her attacker by 40-50 pounds. He was a skinny alcoholic, IIRC. She was lucky not to be a small, petite woman. Still, it's an amazing thing for anyone, male or female, to be able to fight off someone trying to kill them with a hammer. It just takes one good blow to crack a skull or break an arm.

oxymoron417

oxymoron417

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 18, 2010 @ 12:07 AM

Did anybody see the episode with the family that's hiking and gets attacked by bees? That episode freaked me out, as I hate bees. And they were stung like 200 + times. Yeesh.

Phred62

Phred62

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2010 @ 11:23 PM

I watched this week's episode and there was a case where the husband and wife were driving through Idaho or Montana and she was impaled by a branch that came through the car window. What I didn't get was why, when they came up to the bridge with all the 4 wheelers, they didn't send one of them ahead to the lodge to call for the helicopter. It could have been there already when the couple got to the lodge. Plus I can't help but wonder if she divorced her whiney-ass husband.

Edited by Phred62, Dec 20, 2010 @ 11:28 PM.

dangerkitty

dangerkitty

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 22, 2010 @ 9:04 AM

Plus I can't help but wonder if she divorced her whiney-ass husband.

I'm glad someone else thought this! Didn't she say he went in the lodge and didn't come back out because he couldn't bare to see her like that, or something? Geez, if there's ever a time to step up it's when your spouse has a life-threatening injury.

MeInTheMiddle

MeInTheMiddle

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 26, 2010 @ 9:49 PM

Is anyone else watching the "I Survived-Beyond and Back" marathon? It makes it harder for me to not believe in an afterlife....loved the story about the 16 year old kid who had a sudden heart attack and it completely changed his life.

As for the regular "I Survived", I think the two stories that riveted me the most were the guy who got stabbed in a gang initiation (he was just walking down the street in NYC) and the woman who was working at the hotel (and was stabbed, beaten and locked in a closet.) His was remarkable because he was so calm, yet obviously shaken, by the incident. He had such a slight chance of surviving, yet he did. And he didn't credit God...he credited the medical professionals.

The woman I remember so well because she said "I have things to do." And that's what kept her alive.

yourbabymomma

yourbabymomma

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2011 @ 9:39 AM

I'm so glad they're doing a Beyond and Back series. They did a special not too long about that was a one time deal, but this is awesome.
I thought I liked the regular series, but now I have another favorite!
What's interesting to me is that everyone has the same experience, yet each one is VERY individual. For instance, everyone gets that peaceful, calm, happy feeling, but what happens next is always different.
It makes me think that in the afterlife, there's always folks coming in who aren't supposed to be there and you always have to tell them that they have to go back. Must be one of those jobs that some of us get after we've died eh?

Edited by yourbabymomma, Jan 10, 2011 @ 9:41 AM.

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 11:30 AM

There was another "kill the perp" story. I forget the woman's name, but the assailant was named Gerald and had been a friend of hers, but was enraged when she turned down his advances. So he breaks into her house, high on meth. She sends her daughter to her room so that she doesn't have to see as her mother is raped repeatedly by the SOB. But when he makes it clear that he intends to rape the little girl too before killing them both, she runs to the kitchen, grabs a knife and starts attacking him with it. They struggle, but she manages to overpower him (must have been the adrenaline, because he was bigger and stronger than her) and finally kill him.

KADC

KADC

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2011 @ 11:06 PM

What's interesting to me is that everyone has the same experience, yet each one is VERY individual. For instance, everyone gets that peaceful, calm, happy feeling, but what happens next is always different.

This is precisely why I don't like the Beyond & Back episodes: they're all the same. I think their descriptions of the "after life" are actually evidence against the after life. The feelings of calmness and peace sound like a biological reaction to lack of oxygen and the brain shutting down. It's kind of like when people huff inhalants. They get feelings of euphoria, peace, and "life flashing before your eyes." It's purely a matter of oxygen deprivation and a dying brain. The part that follows is incredibly individual-specific, which makes me believe it's based on memories, past experiences, and personal belief. If it were an objective reality, wouldn't it be the same for all of them?

Edited by KADC, Mar 1, 2011 @ 11:07 PM.

hhaze

hhaze

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 12:13 AM

When I first started watching this show, I found the overall presentation rather stark, since there were no re-enactments. Now I think that this really helps add to the atmosphere of the show. There's nothing distracting you from hearing the victim's stories clearly from their own mouths.

The interviewers must ask some really good questions, because the recollections of the people who lived through these tragedies are so vivid and detailed that you feel like you're right there with them as they describe it.

Awesome show.

I wanted to strangle the nine-one-one operator in the episode with the woman (I think her name was Teri?) who was beaten and stuffed into a trashcan packed with snow. She calls 9-1-1 and tells them her address, then her husband puts the trashcan in the back of his pick-up and takes off with her two daughters riding in the cab, oblivious to the fact that they're mother is bleeding to death in the truck bed behind them.

So once they're on the road, Teri calls 9-1-1 again. This time the operator wants to know if she was restrained. Teri tells her that her husband bound her hands and legs with duct tape. The 9-1-1 operator snarkily responds "then how can you answer your phone if your hands are bound with duct tape."

Teri then passes out for a minute. When she regains consciousness, the idiot operator asks snidely "Are you going to talk to me or just breathe heavily?"

Whoever took that call should lose their job.

KADC

KADC

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 8:37 PM

There have been some amazingly bad 911 operators in these stories. There's the one with the old couple who were in a toxic gas spill. The 911 operator told them to take a shower. The problem? The substance turned into hydrochloric acid when mixed with water, badly burning them. She told them to turn off all the means of circulating air in their house, and they almost choked to death. She told the old man that his step-mother and sister had been rescued already. They actually died in their houses, because he believed her.

hhaze

hhaze

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 12, 2011 @ 2:08 AM

There have been some amazingly bad 911 operators in these stories. There's the one with the old couple who were in a toxic gas spill. The 911 operator told them to take a shower. The problem? The substance turned into hydrochloric acid when mixed with water, badly burning them. She told them to turn off all the means of circulating air in their house, and they almost choked to death. She told the old man that his step-mother and sister had been rescued already. They actually died in their houses, because he believed her

That's horrendous. The ones who get me are the ones who treat the calls as pranks when they aren't. These are people that are supposed to be helping other people.

ladynred

ladynred

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2011 @ 9:51 AM

There have been some amazingly bad 911 operators in these stories. There's the one with the old couple who were in a toxic gas spill. The 911 operator told them to take a shower. The problem? The substance turned into hydrochloric acid when mixed with water, badly burning them. She told them to turn off all the means of circulating air in their house, and they almost choked to death. She told the old man that his step-mother and sister had been rescued already. They actually died in their houses, because he believed her.

That episode is one of a few that really stand out in my mind. They are all awful situations to be in, but there are a select few that I remember so clearly and will never forget.

Another one I will always remember was the one with the couple who was attacked by the railroad tracks. She is the one telling the story since her boyfriend was the one that was killed. Later we find out that the story we are hearing is one of the Railroad Serial Killer stories. That chilled me to the bone when I read that.

And then of course, the story of Mary Vincent. The woman who had both of her arms chopped off during the attack. To listen to her calmly tell the story was horrific. That one gave me nightmares.

It's a great show....and it gives good tools to use to be as safe as possible in different situiations. (like playing dead).

bj1968

bj1968

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2011 @ 11:06 PM

One of the stories that always stands out for me is the woman who was in a bar and a friend asked her to give a ride to three strangers and she said no because she got a bad vibe from them. The three men followed her out to her car and proceeded to kidnap, rape her, and leave her for dead. I'm not blaming the victim, but why did she walk to her car alone when she knew that the guys were following her. The bar was familiar territory and she appeared to have a few friends there. I would have had someone walk me to my car and watch me drive away. The three either had escaped or had been just released from jail and I know one of them was a minor teenager. That woman went through hell and I still get chills thinking about her story.

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2011 @ 12:11 AM

There are so many crime stories that include "What if?" or "If only"

I really liked the footnote to a recent episode. A man was trapped in his basement for several days when his arm got caught behind some equipment. Aside from his own life, he began to fear for his dog, who was alone upstairs and had nothing to eat for the time he was trapped. After detailing the operation to complete the amputation of his arm and his reuniting with his family, the footnotes included: "Jon's dog Portia also survived."

I guess it's the animal lover in me, but that bit really choked me up.

Just as I suspected there would be, there will be a special 9/11 episode on September 6, though I expected them to air it on September 11 itself, but I'm sure they'll rerun it then.

Edited by BondGirl, Aug 23, 2011 @ 1:45 AM.

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 5:32 PM

I watched the 9/11 episode. WOW.

Intense doesn't even begin to describe it.

Even though I'm a New Yorker (and actually worked in building 5 of the World Trade Center until a year before the attacks), I'm glad to see that the show featured survivors of the attack on the Pentagon. Many people have pointed out that the media tends to act as though the attack only happened in NYC, even if Washington did have fewer casualties and damage.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 8:13 PM

I watched the 9/11 episode. WOW.
Intense doesn't even begin to describe it.

Word, BondGirl. I also liked the fact that I actually heard from a couple of new (to me, who obsessively watches everything 9/11) survivors - that gave me a fresh perspective on the horrors and heroism of the event. Color me surprised that there were no commercials to ff through, which just enhanced the intensity.

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2011 @ 8:41 PM

I'm watching the new season. Is it me, or are these stories getting even worse?
I wonder what it does to these people to relive these ordeals. It can't be easy.

hhaze

hhaze

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 8, 2011 @ 10:25 PM

Bondgirl: I don't know about worse, but they definitely are just as intense as the past seasons.

I just watched that episode where that one woman who recounted the story of when she was 13 and she had been first raped by two guys under the bleachers at a football field or something. After they finished and walked away, this poor girl was just trying to get home, her house was visible when this third guy (totally unrelated to the other two) stopped her, grabbed her by her arm and asked her if she was okay. After she told him what happened, he proceeded to sexually assault her for two more hours.

Then it gets worse. Once they caught the guy, they found out he was HIV positive. So for a couple years, she was getting tested regularly to see if she had contracted the disease. It must have been beyond terrifying for her to have to spend her early teens in such a way. It was also a miracle that she didn't test positive. Thank God though.

They caught rapist number 3. but number 1 and 2 are unfortunately still at large. Rapist number 3 was charged with kidnapping, sexual assault and attempted murder (because he was aware that he was HIV positive.) He got two life sentences and died in jail.

mariolatry

mariolatry

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

I'm addicted to this show as well. I agree that format enables you to focus more clearly on the participants' stories. The ones that kill me are when people do everything right and something bad still happens to them....as in the aforementioned case of the woman who was abducted from the bar and assaulted by the three men. She knew they were no good. She refused to give them a ride. She tried to get to her truck in safety.....and then she gets put through hell.

I often think "Which of the 3 (on this episode) would I be able to tolerate, if I had to?" and "What would I do in that situation?" It has had made me much more aware of my surroundings.

I'm an occupational therapist and I used to work in rehab, with victimes of all kinds of trauma. The other thing I think is "Oh, that person is in for yeeeeaaars of therapy", whenever they describe their injuries.

Edited by mariolatry, May 3, 2012 @ 8:47 PM.

bj1968

bj1968

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:16 AM

"Watched one of the new episodes last night and was impressed. I think we have one of our first ever "assailant dies" episodes. Ole girl was an ER nurse and her ex had hired somebody to kill her. The assailant attacked her with a hammer in her home. She kept fighting and fighting. He beat the snot out of her but she kicked him, bit him (saying if it didn't get him to let go of the hammer at least there'd be evidence to try to convict him) and finally rolled on top of him. I think she said she even got nose to nose with him at one point and told him she wasn't going to let him kill her. Once she rolled on top of him, she put him in a sleeper hold until he stopped moving then ran to the neighbors until cops came. Yep, she killed him."

I just saw her story profiled on 'Who The Bleep Did I Marry'. It was strange seeing her story there sine that show takes a more light hearted tone than Survived, plus they do reenactments, which distracted me a little since I knew her story so well.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

Watched one of the new episodes last night and was impressed. I think we have one of our first ever "assailant dies" episodes.

I saw that episode some time ago, and loved it. I actually switched my second line home defense weapon from a baseball bat to a hammer as a result. I remember the lady saying that her father advised her to strike with the claw side of the hammer for best results - I'm using that!