I Survived: Complete with Black Screen of PAIN!

• Please log in to reply

73 replies to this topic

madjad

madjad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 4, 2008 @ 1:13 PM

(Apologies if my various searches with this board and Google were wrong and I'm duplicating a topic)

I started a thread on this show because it hits me in the gut every time I watch it. A & E was sneaky to slip this in right after a double shot of Intervention. The amazing resiliency of the folks on this show and the lack of whining was a stark contrast to the complete lack of coping skills usually on display in the subjects of Intervention.

The lady who was stabbed over 27 times, beaten over the head with the baseball bat, had her throat slit and barely rolled away in time to avoid being set on fire was so matter of fact. It was chilling. There is a black screen on this show, just like intervention, but in this case, it's the Black Screen of PAIN! (BSoP!) since it just adds even more details of how these people were horribly abused (which I guess they just didn't get to in their narratives.)

The other two stories were equally compelling.

The woman who watched her boyfriend get murdered by a serial killer just before he tried to do the same to her tells us that she survived in order to act as a counsellor and support for other victims of rape, sexual assault and violence. Needless to say, this made me feel about three inches tall, lounging as I was in front of the television in my pjs with a cat on my lap.

The couple who were screwed by the sheriff's department while trying to escape a lethal train derailment were also remarkable in their graciousness. They lost so much, but have such incredible perspective on it all. As they talked about other people affected I kept hoping that I would see some of these other people interviewed. Hearing that they didn't make it was upsetting, but it also brought home the odds that this couple was up against. I nearly cheered when the BSoP! revealed that they had received and out of court settlement for their suffering.

Unlike Intervention, this show left me feeling inferior and inspired. Guess that's why I'll probably watch it next time it's on. Even though the stories are equally horrific, the survivors themselves are people I want to hear from.

Paralegal3

Paralegal3

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2008 @ 5:06 PM

I started a thread on this show because it hits me in the gut every time I watch it. A & E was sneaky to slip this in right after a double shot of Intervention. The amazing resiliency of the folks on this show and the LACK OF WHINING was a stark contrast to the complete lack of coping skills usually on display in the subjects of Intervention.

The lady who was stabbed over 27 times, beaten over the head with the baseball bat, had her throat slit and barely rolled away in time to avoid being set on fire was so matter of fact. It was chilling. There is a black screen on this show, just like intervention, but in this case, it's the Black Screen of PAIN! (BSoP!) since it just adds even more details of how these people were horribly abused (which I guess they just didn't get to in their narratives.)

You don't expect a victim like the woman described above to not whine while telling her story? *shakes head*

I love when stories get to the point but if a victim cries or shows some emotion (or a lot of emotion) that doesn't change the story for me. It shows me how human they are.

madjad

madjad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 9, 2008 @ 8:13 PM

That's just it, these are the folks who deserve emotion and trauma, but they have transcended it somehow. I was speaking of the contrast with several Intervention subjects who will cry for hours about their mom playing tennis too much, or their parent's not understanding them. (no, obviously, I'm not referring to those subjects who actually had real traumas in their pasts, either.)

I use the term "whining" in relation to overdramatic self-pity not emotion related to actual, horrible traumatic events.

Paralegal3

Paralegal3

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2008 @ 8:34 PM

I think I understand what you mean. However the people on Intervention are addicts. You are not dealing with people who have emotions like a roller coaster. Some of them yell and scream like banshees while others seem so subdued and almost lifeless. A lot of the addicts have had traumatic experiences such as incest, sexual molestation, alcoholic parent(s), drug abusing parent(s), abandonment, physical abuse. Addicts can also be crime victims before or after their addiction. While it may seem like some of the addicts cry about parents not understanding them or spending time with them, that can be a traumatic thing for a child. And there is probably more to the story than they are revealing. They probably suffered other issues that they are not copping out with. I know if I had a camera put in my face I may not reveal a lot of what I endured growing up. I might just generalize it and say, "My mom wasn't around when I needed her." That can mean a mother wasn't around while the child was being sexually abused.

I help run a group of sexual victims and domestic violence victims. A lot of them are speaking out for the first time about what happened to them. And a few of them are former addicts. Everyone reacts to trauma differently. I was a victim of domestic violence and even though I can relate my former life like I was describing a baseball game, there are others who can't hold back their emotions and relive it. Being an addict makes it that much harder.

I don't want to say being a near murder victim is not traumatic, merely saying that what may seem trivial to some people as petty issues (mom not being around, etc.) can mean everything to someone who felt they needed her.

Edited by Paralegal3, Nov 9, 2008 @ 8:36 PM.

12345ne

12345ne

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 1:02 PM

I too watched this show after Intervention last week. The most amazing thing about it was that the initial vignettes of each story were pretty bad. Then they would come back to the story again....and again...and again. Just when you would think it couldn't get worse, it did!

However, I alternating between thinking I should hide under the covers and being strangely uplifted by the resilience of each person featured.

Bubbles81

Bubbles81

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 1:31 PM

I searched for a thread on this show last week and didn't find one, but didn't start one myself. I'm glad I have a place now to share my horror.

The couple who survived the chlorine gas cloud from a train wreck scared the hell out of me. I live fairly close to a train track and routinely see the train go by carrying chlorine.

I just felt so angry at the police and the 911 operators. They tell him that help is coming for hours. And then to tell him to rinse off because EMTs will be there in a minute and not only do they not show up, but the water and the chlorine on their skin makes hydrochloric acid and burns them! They tell him that his mom and stepsister next door have been rescued when they havent and they die! The sheriff's office turns away the volunteer rescue squad without even looking at their credentials! The deputy says he'll shoot the guy's son if he tries to go rescue his dad and stepmom! I would said 'I triple dog dare you' and set out to save my parents. For real, they would have to kill or seriously debilitate me to keep me away from helping them.

I know that small town departments aren't always ready for a disaster, but damn. Can you train people to not send away volunteer rescue help? Can you know what generally comes through your town and be ready in case of a spill of that material?

What really bothered me was that three of their dogs died! I have five cats and I spent the commercial breaks trying to figure out how I would get them out of the area.

I'm glad they got a settlement from Union Pacific but I would be suing my sherriff's department for negligence or idiocy or whatever I could.

The other two stories were horrifying too. But did anyone think of Dwight from The Office when the woman who was beaten by meth heads rolled into a beet field to get away? Or am I the only one going to Hell for that one?

Cali805

Cali805

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2009 @ 2:17 PM

God I cannot get into this show simply because each story is interrupted by the next story. Then that story is then interrupted by the next story. Who thought this was a good idea? It is not. I change the channel because I feel like someone is reading a story and then I am being interrupted by someone else reading a story but I am so hooked on the first story. This is horrible. Show one story...at...a...time!

Luaugirl

Luaugirl

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 10, 2009 @ 2:54 PM

i watch this show on the Biography channel. Thanks for the thread on it. It just shows how life is stranger than fiction. It is the most terrifying program on TV. I feel like a whiner when I see what these people have been through. The woman that fell into the fish processor and had to have her legs amputated was so amazing. She said that she didn't let it get her down and just looked forward to the future. Wow. I just can't believe that they wanted her to jump in there and clean that machine when the boat was going through a storm with 50 foot waves. No common sense was shown by the management to insist on that.

I admire those survivors so much. Their strength of character is awesome. God bless them.

The woman who was almost murdered TWICE by her x-husband broke my heart. As someone who also has a restraining order against an x, I related to her the most. The hardest lesson to learn is that the police don't protect you - they can't. They don't prevent crime, they react to it. We have to protect ourselves. Luckily, the state in which I live, it's easy to get a CW permit. This show reminds me to keep my guard up.

Edited by Luaugirl, Feb 10, 2009 @ 4:29 PM.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2009 @ 7:33 PM

The lady who was stabbed over 27 times, beaten over the head with the baseball bat, had her throat slit and barely rolled away in time to avoid being set on fire was so matter of fact.

I did see that. That story was one of the most excruciating tales I've ever heard. It completely defies comprehension as even when you're hearing it, you can't believe it. Only this woman's indomitable spirit and will to live kept her alive. I cannot imagine ever fully recovering from something so heinous. Perpetrated by human beings, you know - the ones with the big brains.

Edited by AngelaHunter44, Feb 10, 2009 @ 7:34 PM.

dandelion1028

dandelion1028

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 10, 2009 @ 7:45 PM

This show's doing a number on me. I got into a cab the other day, gave the directions, cab driver didn't say a word and just started driving. Then he called someone and spoke in Russian, which I interpreted to mean, "I've got one in the car. We'll meet at the warehouse where we did that thing that time. You bring the rope, I think I've got some duct tape in the trunk. If not, I'll stop by Home Depot on the way. Yeah. Later."

paddymcpaddy

paddymcpaddy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2009 @ 9:16 PM

I'd just like to see one episode where one of the survivors ISN'T a woman who's been raped repeatedly.

netter9277

netter9277

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 20, 2009 @ 10:53 AM

You know what depresses me the most about this show? The fact that so many people say "I survived because I told myself that I wasn't going to die" and it makes me think about all of the people who did the very same thing and died anyway.

BluPhoenix451

BluPhoenix451

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 24, 2009 @ 9:25 AM

I just saw the most horrifying episode. A woman was kidnapped as a teenager, then raped, and then the rapist cut her arms off and pushed her down a 30 foot hill. Somehow she managed to climb back up the hill to the road with no arms and lived. She said that when he cut off her first arm she thought she was still holding on to him with the other arm and then she started falling and realized her other arm was gone too. The worse part was when she looked up he was flailing around and she realized her severed hand/arm was still gripping his arm and he was trying to shake it off! This guy ended up only getting 14 years because that was the max under California law at the time and then he got out and murdered a woman.

Jamie38

Jamie38

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 24, 2009 @ 1:03 PM

God I cannot get into this show simply because each story is interrupted by the next story. Then that story is then interrupted by the next story. Who thought this was a good idea? It is not. I change the channel because I feel like someone is reading a story and then I am being interrupted by someone else reading a story but I am so hooked on the first story. This is horrible. Show one story...at...a...time!

I actually disagree. I think it makes the show a little more unique than others and adds some suspense.

Did anyone see the out of control elevator one? I remember that story describing people as suffering minor injuries. But didn't the woman interviewed lose her leg? Not what I would call a minor injury.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Dec 24, 2009 @ 1:16 PM

I just saw the most horrifying episode. A woman was kidnapped as a teenager, then raped, and then the rapist cut her arms off and pushed her down a 30 foot hill. Somehow she managed to climb back up the hill to the road with no arms and lived. She said that when he cut off her first arm she thought she was still holding on to him with the other arm and then she started falling and realized her other arm was gone too. The worse part was when she looked up he was flailing around and she realized her severed hand/arm was still gripping his arm and he was trying to shake it off! This guy ended up only getting 14 years because that was the max under California law at the time and then he got out and murdered a woman.

The story of Mary. She lives nearby. I have had the pleasure of meeting her while shopping at my local grocery store. She is such a beautiful lady, inside and out. I am amazed at the resilience she had and continues to have. I remember when that bastard who did this to her was being released from prison, many people in our state put up a protest that he not be released into any city or town.

Nowadays Mary is an accomplished painter/artist. Her work is outstanding.

iwannaiguana

iwannaiguana

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 25, 2009 @ 8:07 PM

Not only did Mary survive the original horror, but she testified against Singleton in the penalty phase after his conviction of killing a prostitute in Tampa - still not sure how we wound up with the bastard! But her bravery played a huge role in his death sentence. Too bad he died of cancer before he could be executed.

Strega

Strega

Network Executive

Posted Dec 26, 2009 @ 12:13 AM

[Admin note: I moved this to Non-Fiction & News since it's more of a documentary with recreations than a candid reality show. Unless it's changed radically since the last time I caught it.]

BluPhoenix451

BluPhoenix451

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 4, 2010 @ 4:07 PM

I am so glad to hear that she is doing well after such a horrible experience!

AZ Shadowwalker

AZ Shadowwalker

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 21, 2010 @ 3:32 AM

I've been looking for this show's thread off an on for a while, but especially after Mary's story. I remember that being the "do not hitch hike" story when I was a kid. I remember when she and her mom did the morning talk show circuit to convince people (especially girls) not to hitch.

After the show, I looked up the story again. That freak actually claimed that she was a prostitue who tried to rob him, so...he cut her arms off and raped her? She didn't mention it in the piece, but I guess she did try to brain him with a crowbar when she realized the trouble she was in and he refused to turn the van around. He and his lawyers tried to use her act of self-defense to justify the horrors of his actions. I guess the rationalization of a soulless monster shouldn't suprise me, but it just does.

I did find the "big reveal" scene of her wiping tears away with her prosthetic arm/hook to be a bit much. They carefully concealed her below the neck until that point. Just felt exploitative. I guess the entire show is exploitative, but even moreso.

The fact that so many people say "I survived because I told myself that I wasn't going to die" and it makes me think about all of the people who did the very same thing and died anyway.

The ones that bother me more are the ones who say, "I survived because of god's help/grace/love." So, your god doesn't care about women who get killed by serial killers, children who get beaten to death by parents, innocent civilians killed in war...but he cares about you? I understand the sentiment, but it just bugs me that it implies all those who don't survive horrors just aren't in god's good graces or didn't believe in him enough. I like the African-American lady who was taken from the convenience store who said that she survived because her brother was looking for her. Period. Someone was out there trying to find her. Not the grace of god. Not some supernatural love for her children that other mothers apparently don't have. Because of a real, almost mundane, human act.

I'll second the notion that the raped or battered woman stories are really disheartening. There's a lot more variety to the men's stories: natural disasters, animal attacks, horrible work accidents (still can't watch the man-caught-in-a-thresher story), airplane crashes, man vs. snow, etc. Women are almost always the victims of male violence. I guess it's a reality, but it just makes my stomach hurt to think about it.

Edited by AZ Shadowwalker, Jan 21, 2010 @ 3:58 AM.

redpencil

redpencil

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2010 @ 7:17 PM

The ones that bother me more are the ones who say, "I survived because of god's help/grace/love." So, your god doesn't care about women who get killed by serial killers, children who get beaten to death by parents, innocent civilians killed in war...but he cares about you? I understand the sentiment, but it just bugs me that it implies all those who don't survive horrors just aren't in god's good graces or didn't believe in him enough.

I can't speak individually for any of these people, but I know that many people, when they say something like that, mean something more along the lines of "It was God's plan." A similar thinking when someone dies (rather than survives) would be that it was their time, and thus not part of God's plan for whatever reason. Doesn't necessarily imply a greater value put on one person over another.

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2010 @ 1:18 AM

I'll second the notion that the raped or battered woman stories are really disheartening. There's a lot more variety to the men's stories: natural disasters, animal attacks, horrible work accidents (still can't watch the man-caught-in-a-thresher story), airplane crashes, man vs. snow, etc. Women are almost always the victims of male violence. I guess it's a reality, but it just makes my stomach hurt to think about it.

Mine too. I think I can count on one hand the number of "woman in peril" stories that HAVEN'T involved said woman being raped. And I know that they warn the viewer before the show starts, but even then, some of the details are nightmare inducing.

I can't wait for someone to say, "I survived because. . .I really wanted to be on this show!"

Heh.

Edited by BondGirl, Jan 29, 2010 @ 5:44 PM.

AZ Shadowwalker

AZ Shadowwalker

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 2, 2010 @ 1:41 AM

I can't speak individually for any of these people, but I know that many people, when they say something like that, mean something more along the lines of "It was God's plan." A similar thinking when someone dies (rather than survives) would be that it was their time, and thus not part of God's plan for whatever reason. Doesn't necessarily imply a greater value put on one person over another.

I won't go to far into this, because it's a philosophical and religious discussion better suited for some other forum. I'll just say that I disagree with the idea behind it, and even find it a little offensive: that there's a supposedly benevolent deity whose plan it is to let some suffer and die for some unknowable reason, while saving others for some unknowable reason. Either that deity isn't benevolent, or s/he's not omnipotent (and hence not a cause of anyone's survival). I'm not going to hate on these people for it, because they've suffered unimaginable horrors and it seems to bring them comfort. It's just something that kind of sticks in my craw when I hear it because of the various implications--especially when it's a situation where one person lived and another died.

I can't wait for someone to say, "I survived because. . .I really wanted to be on this show!"

Now, there's a concrete reason that I can understand! Haha

Edited by AZ Shadowwalker, Feb 2, 2010 @ 1:48 AM.

kjharrison

kjharrison

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 5, 2010 @ 3:55 PM

I too am kind of tired of the "I survived because God/whatever wanted me to." How about "I survived because I didn't panic and/or I am VERY fortunate"??

Anyway, I am a woman who lives alone and this show has made me check to make sure the doors and windows were locked on more than one occasion. In fact, I probably shouldn't be watching this late at night!

Saw an episode recently in which a woman was attacked in her home by a man she had "spurned." He shot her a few times and then ran over her with his truck. I believe some people are just crazy and do bad things to others sometimes. Sad.

BluPhoenix451

BluPhoenix451

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 5, 2010 @ 4:30 PM

Saw an episode recently in which a woman was attacked in her home by a man she had "spurned." He shot her a few times and then ran over her with his truck.

I just saw that one and it was first time I really struggled to finish. It was horrifying. Not only did he run over her, at that point she was already paralyzed from the waist down from gun wounds, but I think he backed up and ran over her more than once, then he ran off and came back and attacked her some more. It also made the fell off the roof guy in the same episode seem pretty lame.

I think my favorite reason for surviving had the older man who had a train derail nearby and it made the air toxic. He said "I survived cause I was too angry to die!"

Edited by BluPhoenix451, Feb 5, 2010 @ 4:31 PM.

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2010 @ 7:53 PM

The story of the that woman attacked by the man she had spurned REALLY scared me. First of all, she let him down nicely, it's not as if she were a bitch about it (not that being a bitch would have justified his actions). Second, even if she had been a bitch, THREE years had passed. And instead of getting on with his life like a normal person--it's not even as though he spent those three years stalking and harrassing her--he decides to plan out something like this.
What a fucking psycho.

gaPeach

gaPeach

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2010 @ 3:13 PM

Saw an episode recently in which a woman was attacked in her home by a man she had "spurned." He shot her a few times and then ran over her with his truck.

I just saw that one and it was first time I really struggled to finish. It was horrifying. Not only did he run over her, at that point she was already paralyzed from the waist down from gun wounds, but I think he backed up and ran over her more than once, then he ran off and came back and attacked her some more. It also made the fell off the roof guy in the same episode seem pretty lame.

I thought the word "spurned" was a bit much. I sounded like they had a relationship and she dumped him when it was just him asking her out and she kindly said no. Maybe its just me.

And I think she would have been better off to continue talking to him like she did in the beginning. It sounded like she was getting through to him or at least knocked him off his game enough to stop what he had planned. And he ran over her got the front tire on her stomach and TURNED THE WHEEL before backing off her. How awful. I am glad she survived no matter who she gave the credit to.

BluPhoenix451

BluPhoenix451

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 7, 2010 @ 3:16 PM

Yeah I think spurned is definently too strong. I don't know why the show described it that way. But I want to know why he came back 3 years later? That is frightening. I'm sure she had completely forgotten about him.

spentcigarette

spentcigarette

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2010 @ 8:41 AM

This show terrifies me. I think it's the lack of dramatizations that really chill me to the bone, because instead of having silly 'reenactments' that ultimately fictionalize the story being told, you're looking into the face of a REAL PERSON who has had these REAL EXPERIENCES happen to THEM. It really hits home, doesn't it?

This show scares and disturbs me more than any horror movie has, or will, and that's because reality will always be scarier than fiction. I've seen "Inside", a French horror film about a woman who finds herself being attacked by another woman who plans to kill her and remove her unborn child to keep as their own. I thought that was a freaky enough concept, not even appreciating how these lunatics don't only exist in film and in literature. They're really out there. Hearing the tale about a woman who actually WAS attacked by a woman who wanted to take her unborn and overdue child, messed with me.

Another story that horrified me was the one about the woman who was attacked by a man who had been living in her attic for two or three days. He rapes her, assaults her, stabs her, then hammers her head in. He then tries to stab her in her skull, but when the knife won't go in he takes the hammer and hammers the knife into her head. Then, when he can't remove the knife from her skull, he puts his foot on the back of her neck to try and PULL it out.

Finally, one story I'll never get out of my head involved a woman who was attacked in her house, raped etc, but managed to escape. When she tried to go to her neighbors to help they ignored her, and cars drove past her saying they couldn't afford to be late for work.... it makes me sick to my stomach. As a 5'2" young woman, I've been in a situation myself where I was assaulted in public; I expected SOMEONE out of the huge crowd of people around us (we were on a very busy street in the Sydney CBD in peak hour) to help me out in some way, and I was discouraged to find that not one person stopped. I know many, many people looked while they walked past, but they kept on walking. The whole experience was traumatic, but that element was the most depressing.

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2010 @ 8:11 PM

Wow. I'm sorry you had to go through that. Awfully scary to think you could be on your own if something like that happened, despite numerous people being present.
The specter of Kitty Genovese lives on.

The sad thing is, I can't completely hate people who do things like that. They might have legitimate concerns for their own safety--Ted Bundy lured countless women to a horrible death by pretending to be injured and in need of help. And if you're not pretending, who can say that whoever or whatever is attacking you isn't going to come after them?
One woman who did finally stop did the smart thing--wouldn't let her into the car, but called 911.

Ktwo

Ktwo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2010 @ 11:31 AM

I'd just like to see one episode where one of the survivors ISN'T a woman who's been raped repeatedly.

I just caught this show on Bio the other day - the three stories were pregnant woman beaten and left for dead by ex-husband, woman caught in runaway escalator, and man stabbed on the street in a mugging. So maybe that one applies? It wasn't really clear to me whether the woman lost her leg or not, and I can't believe she still uses escalators today. The first story was by far the scariest - I couldn't believe she had been beaten that badly and stuffed in a trash can full of snow for 24+ hours and made it out alive.