1-4: "That Is Not My Son" 2008.11.10 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

26 replies to this topic

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2008 @ 4:27 PM

(TiVo says:) "That Is Not My Son" Henry wakes up and finds himself in the midst of gunfire; Mary Grady discovers that her suspicions about Tom are true; a relationship between Edward and Dr. Skinner is revealed.

Cast: Christian Slater (Actor), Alfre Woodard (Actor), Mike O'Malley (Actor), Saffron Burrows (Actor), Mädchen Amick (Actor), Taylor Lautner (Actor), Bella Thorne (Actor), Michelle Krusiec (Guest Star), Missy Yager (Guest Star)

Crew: Jason Smilovic (Executive Producer), David Semel (Executive Producer)

Edited by TWoP Barnes, Nov 10, 2008 @ 11:52 PM.

roseredscared

roseredscared

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 11:08 PM

Just because Henry's son is in to fighting doesn't mean the kid's a killer. Geez, how much more of a an over generalization can you get?

It's too bad Henry couldn't save Paula but he at least saved Ellen. He did a pretty good impression of Edward for never having met the guy face to face.

So it turns out Janus wasn't going to kill Henry if they found out he was broken they were just going to kill Edward. Henry must really be kicking himself hard after learning about that. He could have easily have squealed then went back to his old life without Edward around.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 11:11 PM

Wow, Spivey the younger is a total badass. That fight scene was one of the coolest things this show has done so far. And if I were Henry, I'd be a bit freaked out, too. I like that he's starting to call them "our kids" to Edward, though, and Edward's initial "My side of the gene pool" comment and Henry's response cracked me up. Still so bitchy.

I'm really glad Henry put his foot down about the sacrifices Janus is making on his behalf (and hopefully that means he's also going to stop taking stupid risks), but it would be for nothing without Dr. Skinner watching his back, so I'm pretty happy to have her aboard.

It's going to be interesting to see whether, as Henry and Edward get better and better at leading each other's lives, it's going to become really difficult for me to tell them apart.

The lie detector test with the secret questions was pretty awesome.

nilyank

nilyank

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 11:18 PM

I really love this show and don't want it to go away ever. It would be like if Janus terminated us and we wouldn't get to see the bitchy fights between Henry and Edward.

I just about died when Henry wakes up and realizes that Edward got lucky. Interesting that he did not put it together that the doctor was that "floozy" or that she is really helping out Edward more than anything. If Edward is terminated, then Henry gets to live with his family happily without ever remembering Edward. But Female Doctor would not like that especially given the really personal questions she asked Edward during lie detector scene when she was really asking about their relationship.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 11:21 PM

So it turns out Janus wasn't going to kill Henry if they found out he was broken they were just going to kill Edward.

That was a nice twist, but then what was with the agent who was going to shoot him from the previous episode?

That fight scene was one of the coolest things this show has done so far.

It so was. I loved how legality was the first thing to pop into his mind.

Man, Tom's story is so sad.

Rina99

Rina99

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 11:53 PM

I really love this show and don't want it to go away ever. It would be like if Janus terminated us and we wouldn't get to see the bitchy fights between Henry and Edward.

For real. When Edward told Henry about the nanovirus or whatever at the end, I just about died. C'mon, NBC, you renewed Life (which I also love), give this a full season.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2008 @ 3:02 AM

Wow, this episode confused the hell out of me!

Edward pretending to be Henry pretending to be Edward. Raymond pretending to be Tom. Paula pretending to be Ellen. The crazy "psychiatrist" having an affair with Edward.

But Henry watching Jack's martial arts performance was sad.

I HOPE the previews are true.

Kalirooey

Kalirooey

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 11, 2008 @ 12:02 PM

I love, love, love this show. Christian Slater is a master at playing these two characters and having there differences begin to soften. Although i think the writers need to slow down a little.

lgrant2001

lgrant2001

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2008 @ 12:24 PM

I was wondering when they recast the son if Taylor Lautner's extensive martial arts background would come into play. I'm glad we got to see some of it. I'd like to see more but I hope not at the expense of the show.
I wonder if the (projected) sucess of Twilight will have an impact on future episodes? Don't get me wrong - I mean, I like the kid and all but I'd hate to see the writers cater to the squeeing fangirls for the sake of a potential ratings pickup. I hope the show continues to revolve around Edward/Henry.

roseredscared

roseredscared

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2008 @ 1:28 PM

When they said Paula was going to "distract" the guards, I immediatly thought seduction. I'm so happy they went for the more unconvensional and clever option instead.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2008 @ 1:55 PM

It was pretty obvious that Ellen would play a role in the story since I had not seen her in the previous episodes. I wonder if the show will keep her on as the life that Henry cannot have and Tom thinks that he has. Given that her life was basically a series of specific memories, it might be interesting to see how her fake life could become her entire life in contrast to Henry and Tom.

Bollen04

Bollen04

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 11, 2008 @ 2:43 PM

Overall, I found this to be a great episode. I liked how they focused on the son. I had wondered if they were going to fashion him after Henry or Edward. Although, I feel sorry for Henry, I am glad that the son is showing "Edward's" abilities. I liked the son angle but I hope to see more of the daughter. I have a feeling that it is going to be the daughter that draws "Edward" more into the family life. The whole "daddy's girl" issue can be the making of a lot of great episodes.

After watching the lie detector scene, I will be interested to see if they build on that. Such as Edward never being in love or he feels he doesn't have a girlfriend.

The one thing that bothered me during the entire episode was the "termination" description. If to be terminated means that they permanently live the life of the alter ego then why can't Edward be fixed? Why not permanently dispose of Henry? Does the defective chip interfer with this process or was this a faux pas.

Tiger220

Tiger220

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2008 @ 5:12 PM

If to be terminated means that they permanently live the life of the alter ego then why can't Edward be fixed? Why not permanently dispose of Henry? Does the defective chip interfer with this process or was this a faux pas.

I would think eliminating the Henry, Tom and Ellen personalities would create more problems, because they have families and lives and people who would notice their absence. Which does make me wonder about the purpose of the whole project. Why have agents with a split personality when you could just have an agent, or even an agent with a fake-to-him/her life? Though, I confess there may have been an explanation to that in the premiere, but I missed it through all the Christian Slater squee.

That said, I do love this show and hope it doesn't get canceled. But if it does, I kind of feel like this episode had a little bit of closure what with the understanding on Henry's part that being Henry/Edward is what he is now. It gives a sense that the story continues even if we're not seeing it without feeling so much like an abrupt stop in the middle of action. Of course, it's NOT the last episode (yay!) so I suppose there's still room for an abrupt, inappropriate end (boo.)

I liked seeing some of Edward's interaction with Jack -- and if the actor (who looks NOTHING like the parents, so I find it kind of unconvincing that they're portraying him as a bio-son, but whatever) can bring in some of the Twilight mob without altering the show, I'm ecstatic -- and hope we get to see more of that. I actually think an "Edward forced to protect the kids" plot would be pretty cool. But I felt bad for Henry when he realized Jack's talent was probably something that came from Edward.

And Mike O'Malley continues to amaze me. Christian Slater always has.

Bollen04

Bollen04

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 11, 2008 @ 6:44 PM

I would think eliminating the Henry, Tom and Ellen personalities would create more problems, because they have families and lives and people who would notice their absence. Which does make me wonder about the purpose of the whole project. Why have agents with a split personality when you could just have an agent, or even an agent with a fake-to-him/her life? Though, I confess there may have been an explanation to that in the premiere, but I missed it through all the Christian Slater squee.

If memory serves, they did briefly touch on this subject during the first episode. However, now that we have seen more episodes, I need a better explanation.

The way I am understanding this (and I could be wrong) is that the agents have the alter ego's to better hide them from any problems and/or keep them occupied until they are needed.

On a personal note, I feel having the alter egos helps the agents NOT bond with anyone. The agents could become liabilities if they had emotional attachments to anyone especially a family. Within the first two episodes, I felt Edward looked at Henry's family as strangers. A family who he could care less about. To me, it was the scene between him and Ruthie when he mention that she had his mothers eye that a realization began to take place that she was really his daughter. Granted I don't feel he really cares at this point.

I do believe that there will be an episode in which he will have to protect his children and this will be when Edward has his reality check.

This is an amazing show and I really do hope it gets pick up. If I am correct, they are scheduled to do 13 episodes. I hope they are offered a full season.

And Mike O'Malley continues to amaze me. Christian Slater always has.

You are so right. I still laugh about the first episode. I had no idea Mike O'Malley was going to play a duel role also. I nearly fell out of my chair when they revealed him as an agent. Loved it!!

heisey

heisey

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 11, 2008 @ 8:40 PM

So it turns out Janus wasn't going to kill Henry if they found out he was broken they were just going to kill Edward.

That was a nice twist, but then what was with the agent who was going to shoot him from the previous episode?

I think the "watcher" who was going to shoot Edward/Henry at the beginning of the episode was going to shoot him -- not because he was broken, but because he was going to blow the whistle on Janus. Henry thought he was talking to an outsider, an FBI agent.

max-murray27

max-murray27

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 11, 2008 @ 10:25 PM

What kind of martial arts was Jack doing? Is this really done with with metal rods as portrayed?

Athena2006

Athena2006

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 12, 2008 @ 2:30 AM

The termination idea was an interesting twist to the story, and I love this show! Christian Slater was always great in my eyes, and I believe his personal life derailed his career. Anyway, the reason why termination is so awful is that the Edward is the original and "real" personality, so when the Agent takes this risk, the threat of termination is real, because he does die, and the "fake" personality, so to speak, or the created one, is what remains. Therefore it really is termination because Edward would be terminated, and so to him, it is death. The created personality, ie. Henry, knows nothing else, so no harm no fowl in his eyes, but he's fake to begin w/as the agency made up his whole life! Does that make sense?

Country Girl

Country Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2008 @ 9:34 AM

I thought I was good at telling the difference between these characters, but I'm confused--was it Henry or Edward talking to Raymond with the flowers outside of Paula's room?

Shadow Knows

Shadow Knows

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 12, 2008 @ 9:55 AM

Henry pretending to be Edward. The only way to keep Raymond from killing Paula was to convince him that "Edward" had already done the job himself.

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2008 @ 10:40 AM

Tiger220:

I can live with this explanation, it really makes sense.

This show, however, makes a complication with its plot. Edward is a Medal of Honor recipient. He can not just disappear. Many organizations have dedicated database to track the recipients. They are 'celebrities' in a sense.

The only explanations I can imagine are 1. The Medal is not his; 2. He received the decoration "posthumously", which means he is dead in the outside world.

thedullgirl

thedullgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2008 @ 12:26 PM

I thought Henry found Edward's obit among the momentos in the secret room of Edward's apartment.

EllaWho

EllaWho

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 12, 2008 @ 2:56 PM

I normally reserve my squeeing over this show for my husband (who knows Christian Slater is my pretend-boyfriend of 20 yrs - since Heathers, of course), but I HAD to come tell y'all I totally went to high school with Paula/Ellen (Michelle Krusiek). We were in band together and shared a music stand as we were in the 3rd section of flutes (which means we were both pretty bad at it). She's so beautiful now, I hadn't recognized her though now I know I've seen her in other programs (that Travelogues show and Grey's Anatomy).

I totally was blindsided by their approach to fixing Tom's Private Investigator issue - to say he did have an affair? Now Tom's wife (Mary?) will be incredibly more suspicious. Puh-lease.

Like kick-ass Jack - he should catch his 'dad' mid-Edward like little sister did. What's with his orange skin tone, though?

FortKnoxII

FortKnoxII

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 12, 2008 @ 5:30 PM

I totally was blindsided by their approach to fixing Tom's Private Investigator issue - to say he did have an affair? Now Tom's wife (Mary?) will be incredibly more suspicious. Puh-lease.

Yeah that's what I was thinking to. I mean Tom was telling his wife he keep his phone, call every few hours, bring her on trips, etc. Yeah how long will that last when you can taking in by the enemy again and disappear for days at a time because of it. And the whole taking her one trips is going to cause some more problems down the lane.

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2008 @ 6:06 PM

I really hope this gets more episodes. Now I actually have to pay attention? Perfect. Up until now, I relied on Slater's abilities for me to easily distinguish Edward from Henry. Now Henry is getting good at pretending to be Edward. Nice. I have to admit, I got confused a few times and I thought the solution was too much on the unbelievable side. Paula/Ellen being broken, therefore she heard Edward saying he was Henry? If I were Trumbull, no way would I believe that. Still, it showed a nice out for Henry, which Edward obviously closed down as soon as he could.
I also really don't know what to say about Tom admitting he had an affair. How is that going to solve the problems? Just to get the P.I. off his back? This could have gone so wrong and Mary could have gone for a divorce. Then where would Raymond's cover be? Still, they have to keep the deception going, otherwise there would be no plot for Raymond/Tom. And that would be bad. I'm wildly entertained by both of them. And I can't wait for Raymond to take Mary on one of the trips. That should be fun.

Bollen04

Bollen04

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 12, 2008 @ 8:30 PM

I thought Henry found Edward's obit among the momentos in the secret room of Edward's apartment.

I believe you are correct about that. I deleted the first episode from my DVR -- which I am now regretting.

khaosworks

khaosworks

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2008 @ 10:04 PM

Paula/Ellen being broken, therefore she heard Edward saying he was Henry? If I were Trumbull, no way would I believe that.

This one takes a bit of quick tapdancing, but I think it goes like this: Trumbull's main piece of evidence that Henry/Edward was broken was because there was no way Paula would know Henry's name otherwise.

Now, if Paula was broken, i.e. Ellen's memories bleeding over and vice versa, then that would explain why Paula could know Henry's name, and that Paula was using that to cover up the "fact" that she was broken. So that leaves Trumbull with nothing to justify terminating Edward.

That being said, I don't think Trumbull completely buys it - Edward isn't out of the woods yet. But without concrete proof he can't get rid of his best operative, so I suspect he'll still be eyeing Edward very closely.

nilyank

nilyank

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2008 @ 2:05 AM

Yeah that's what I was thinking to. I mean Tom was telling his wife he keep his phone, call every few hours, bring her on trips, etc. Yeah how long will that last when you can taking in by the enemy again and disappear for days at a time because of it. And the whole taking her one trips is going to cause some more problems down the lane.

Actually it would be quite easy for Tom to take his wife on a trip. Janus will just plan a few out of town trips where they make sure that Raymond is not needed to be a BADASS and Tom gets to win back Mary's trust.