My Fair Wedding with David Tutera

• Please log in to reply

627 replies to this topic

southernbella

southernbella

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2008 @ 3:08 PM

Someone else has to be watching this- I think my favorite line is the princess bride who said that her guests can take the centerpieces home - so that they will remember her wedding forever.

CaughtOnTape

CaughtOnTape

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2008 @ 3:12 PM

Next week's bride looks great. I've never understood women who full on open their mouth's to burp and think that's funny.

CBee

CBee

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2008 @ 3:34 PM

I watched! I'm not sure yet if I like Tutera, but he has good taste. That Hempstead castle place was gorgeous!!! Especially the view for the ceremony, that alone was to die for. They lucked out with this bride. She didn't have particularly good taste (stereotypical Long Island working class), but she was openminded and very likeable.

Edited by CBee, Nov 3, 2008 @ 3:42 PM.

southernbella

southernbella

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2008 @ 4:12 PM

I'm not sure if I like him yet either-I'm torn between screaming "My God-let him fix you!" and thinking that he robs these brides of their individuality and puts them (and their families) totally out of their element.

Side note- the green and purple mardi gras wedding? Apple core candles? Where do people get these ideas from?

Edited by southernbella, Nov 3, 2008 @ 4:13 PM.

missdavenport

missdavenport

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2008 @ 6:26 PM

but she was open-minded and very likable.

She did seem likable. And how sweet was her Dad?

I'm not sure if I like him yet either-

Yeah, I'm not sure I really like him. These are women who have made themselves very vulnerable to him, I didn't enjoy watching him make fun of Jennifer after she and her sister modeled their original dresses. All in all it's just another wedding show.

HelenaHandbasket

HelenaHandbasket

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2008 @ 10:01 PM

On the fence on this show, still, but the episode with the Princess Bride... I agree that she was very likable, but she looked so much like Julia Roberts when she smiled, it freaked me out!

ideefixe

ideefixe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 4, 2008 @ 12:22 AM

I thought he was very kind, in general, and the princess bride was sweet. She was a fast learner, and seemed pretty grateful and nice. It must be weird to have someone come in and completely reverse all your choices. She looked so pretty--far more touching than any dumb reality show has a right to be.

Casting this must be so hard.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2008 @ 5:22 AM

So glad to see a thread for this!

I saw the first two eps and one thing that struck me was what happens to the money that has been laid out for the orignal venue/gowns/invitations etc?

Wedding gowns that were already purchased (let's assume they cost at least $1500) are replaced with [more expensive]designer gowns, people put deposits on a reception venue which is replaced... the invitations which have the name and address of said venue (before the change) are worthless and there's reletively little time to pump out new ones for every guest. Are the people who participate reimbursed for the money they spent if they go along with the event makeover?

That being said.... overall, I like this show. There are some pretty tacky brides out there and someone has to step in to prevent future wedding photo mortification!

I'm not sure if I like him yet either-I'm torn between screaming "My God-let him fix you!" and thinking that he robs these brides of their individuality and puts them (and their families) totally out of their element.

I don't think it robs them of their "individuality". Most of these people never planned such a major event and aren't seeing the forest for the trees when it comes to certain things. My heaven, the bride-to-be, Wanda bought a gown which she did not even like! Apparently one of her friends she went gown shopping with liked it on her (and it was a pretty dress), so she caved and bought it. That's nuts! She gave up on her "individuality" before David came on the scene! For them to be a bit out of their element gives them more options they never would have considered. Both brides seemed to love the changes and didn't feel compromised by David's taste.

Side note- the green and purple mardi gras wedding? Apple core candles? Where do people get these ideas from?

Reading too many bridal and BHG mags I guess! David was right when he said the original bridesmaid's dresses were "prom" dresses. What annoyed me were the flashing ice cubes Wanda was planning to put in the drinks! Who does that for formal events like weddings?

CBee

CBee

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2008 @ 11:03 AM

And how sweet was her Dad?

He was awesome! So nice and happy for his daughter.

Mita_Jo

Mita_Jo

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2008 @ 3:21 PM

I like the show so far. Both brides really did need help and their weddings turned into really beautiful affairs.

Are the people who participate reimbursed for the money they spent if they go along with the event makeover?

Why should they be reimbursed? They're getting a bigger, better, more expensive wedding. That is, if the show covers ALL the expenses of giving them all new stuff. The money that the brides spent would have gone to a wedding anyway, so I don't see a need to be reimbursed.

I feel more sorry for the vendors who only got deposits and maybe missed out on booking another client because of one of these brides and they lost out on something.

I have one complaint about the first bride. She definitely needed a new wedding address, no question. However, when she went to try on the new dresses, there was clearly one that she liked more than the others. I think that David should take that into consideration when he picks. The dress that the first bride ended up with didn't fit her right. She wanted a dress that showed off her figure and she was stuck with that one. Of the three she tried on that was my least favorite. I hated it so much that I couldn't enjoy the rest of the show.

Bean9879

Bean9879

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2008 @ 11:39 AM

I'm just chiming in as someone a bit torn about David Tutera.

On one hand, it's great that he comes through for these brides and gives them amazing wedding that they would never have gotten otherwise. But on the other...Wendy, the first bride with all the random stuff for the tables (light up ice cubes, etc)--all stuff that DT was pushing on his other show ("Get Married" on Lifetime). So it's kind of crappy of him to dismiss it as trashy here (not that it isn't trashy, I'm just saying).

Also, the NY bride seemed sweet, but completely out of her element. And so were all the guests. She would have had an amazing day even without DT, and he seemed to make her feel really inadequate.

Baby Fish Mouth

Baby Fish Mouth

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2008 @ 2:50 PM

Also, the NY bride seemed sweet, but completely out of her element. And so were all the guests. She would have had an amazing day even without DT, and he seemed to make her feel really inadequate.

I didn't get that impression at all. She seemed to love what he picked out and was genuinely grateful for the advice on table etiquette and not smoking. I love that he stayed true to her Princess Fairytale theme while diplomatically steering her away from the fake flowers and cheesy decor. Would she have had fun at the original wedding? Of course. But David helped her feel and act like a real princess of instead of someone just playing dress up.

Eme

Eme

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2008 @ 3:07 PM

he seemed to make her feel really inadequate

I agree. She seemed very uncomfortable. She was absorbing everything, but the look on his face when she was eating was a tad offputting. She was very stressed by him and had to take a ciggy break and talk to her mens to get grounded. It helps that she is very pretty and was a good canvas for him, but I thought that he could have made it more Princessy without making her feel like she was lacking. YMMV

charmante

charmante

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 3:25 AM

I've really enjoyed David's wedding makeovers so far -- although the tattooed Marilyn Monroe impersonator was my least favorite. Her wedding makeup and her extensions were both tacky and terrible.

I still laugh out loud whenever I think of Long Island Princess and her desire to learn dining "etiqwette" and her belief that the purpose of the intermezzo sorbet was to clean your "platelets." It was very kind of David that he didn't even crack a smile.

BlazerMary

BlazerMary

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 2:33 PM

I'm know, I'm old-fashioned, but I had to laugh at the irony of the etiquette lesson with the NY bride (cleaning her platelets). I'm a baby boomer who grew up with a liberal Catholic Southern belle of a mother and a lot of the stuff is still embedded in my psyche. That being said, having a big, splashy, wearing-white wedding is definitely an etiquette no-no when you have already have a child, no matter who is the father of the child. I guess if David T. paid attention to that little part of Emily Post or Amy Vanderbilt he wouldn't have much of a wedding business.

CBee

CBee

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 5:58 PM

I thought David did an amazing reception for the Marilyn Monroe bride (and I thought she looked so much prettier with her tattoos hidden), but her hair looked hideous! She should have kept it curled like it was when he first met her. Her wedding hair did not say 1950's Hollywood starlet at all. I was surprised he went with that. The cake was ugly, but perfect for the bride - she obviously loved it and that was a sweet moment. That starburst dress didn't do her any favors. The other three all showed off her figure better. That also a wtf? The ceremony looked amazing, but he pretty much obliterated the interior of the hall which seemed to defeat the sentimental value of having it there at all. Strange that both grooms have been plumbers.

Sulalee

Sulalee

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 11, 2008 @ 10:55 AM

It is hard for me to understand how some of these tatted up women in these bridal shows choose huge, glamorous icons to emulate such as Audrey Hepburn or Marilyn Monroe, then feel insulted whenever someone suggests to cover up their tattoos, or take away anything else tacky that they knew damn well Audrey or Marilyn wouldn't be caught dead with. Anybody watch Whose Wedding is it Anyway with the former drug addict that was going for the Breakfast at Tiffany theme? Bitch please.

Greta

Greta

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2008 @ 6:49 PM

I'm going to cleanse my platelets of all shame and admit to watching the entire marathon of this show last night. It kind of walks an uncomfortable line with the tossing out of everything tacky the brides come up with, but hey, they signed up for this show. And I might have sniffled a little when Sheria(?) got to wear the dress her mom picked out to the service before changing to the couture gown.

Also, the last bride, Colleen McIrishLass? Was it just me or did her final updo with the bit on the side look like all her hair was supposed to be up but random clumps had fallen down? Loved the horseshoe though. Maybe the next wedding show could be American brides learning to incorporate the culture traditions of their immigrant ancestors.

Edited by Greta, Nov 29, 2008 @ 6:49 PM.

irishlulu

irishlulu

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2008 @ 1:09 PM

The Irish bride was supposed to have her hair down on one side. That was one of the style choices. gulp. I'm helping my daughter plan her wedding, and, having not been to any weddings in a long, long time, I don't know if some of the choices we're making will be tacky or not. We're not ordering junk off the internet, so I guess that's a good start. I would love to have someone like David come in and critique what we're planning. I'm really surprised David didn't change Irish bride's dress, I wonder why? He's done that with all the other brides. (Greta, I'll join you in cleansing my platelets of shame too.)

Calliope

Calliope

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2008 @ 3:25 PM

I watched the marathon, too. Then, I added it as a Season Pass on Tivo. Feel my shame.

I find it interesting that David seems to hate everything the brides have chosen (often with good reason) but still manages to incorporate the bride's basic color schemes and ideas while making it 1000x better. I'm on the fence as to whether I like David though. Sometimes the smug gets to be a bit much.

Edited by Calliope, Nov 30, 2008 @ 3:25 PM.

Greta

Greta

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2008 @ 4:55 PM

The Irish bride was supposed to have her hair down on one side. That was one of the style choices.

Oh, I know- I just thought it ended up looking wrong, less like tendrils cascading down and more like she'd lost a couple of hair pins and these pieces fell down from the updo. Maybe it just didn't film well?

irishlulu, best to you and your daughter:) I think you'll do fine. The main things to avoid that I'm getting from this show are fake flowers and substituting lots of cheaper stuff for one big expensive thing. I think if DT really had to work on a budget he'd go for a simple vase from the dollar store or a department store that had clean lines in place of a Waterford piece, rather than a really ornate cheap vase with light up candles and multicolored ribbons (in shades of pink and turquoise bedazzled with diamonds!) and scented plastic rose petals.

Question: my friend used real flowers in pots as centerpieces at her recent summer, fairly casual wedding. I liked it. Would y'all? Would DT and/or assorted wedding planners on this network?

Edited by Greta, Nov 30, 2008 @ 5:11 PM.

irishlulu

irishlulu

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 1, 2008 @ 2:09 PM

a really ornate cheap vase with light up candles and multicolored ribbons (in shades of pink and turquoise bedazzled with diamonds!) and scented plastic rose petals.

We'll try to stay away from those!! ;)

I think the flower pots are a great idea for a casual, country-ish wedding. And they can be used afterward instead of being thrown away. DT may not like it, probably not "grand" enough. But if it fits the location and style of the wedding, why not? What did you think of it?

CBee

CBee

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 1, 2008 @ 2:16 PM

Shak__ and Dawan were really cute and the bride's younger sister was adorable! I loved the costume gowns and David did a good job of matching up the right gown with the right body type. He should have upgraded the bride's reception gown too - it looked quite plain next to the bridesmaids. The cake was fantabulous!

Indy1

Indy1

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2008 @ 4:40 PM

I've gotten shamefully addicted to this show - as has my fiance. We're planning our wedding now and have become regular watchers of all the WE wedding shows...it's embarassing, but they're so addicting.

I loved the look on the cake baker's face when the Marilyn Monroe bride described her perfect wedding cake as being pink and girly and shaped like a big cupcake...and covered with spiders. Her reaction was like "okay, yeah, girly, gotcha, wait - WTF? Spiders??." Awesome.

TheotherWalter

TheotherWalter

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 2, 2008 @ 4:51 PM

Shak__ and Dawan were really cute and the bride's younger sister was adorable! I loved the costume gowns and David did a good job of matching up the right gown with the right body type. He should have upgraded the bride's reception gown too - it looked quite plain next to the bridesmaids. The cake was fantabulous!

I think of everyone he has worked with, she seemed the most gracious and open to his changes/ideas. By the end, she came off very sweet. Her finance seemed sweet enough, but honey he is missing a critical tooth and I just could not get pass that.

CBee

CBee

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2008 @ 10:53 AM

I agree that Dawan looked like a total thug, but he seemed really sweet and I liked how he described himself as a carpenter, "I just build things."

Jamie38

Jamie38

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2008 @ 11:31 AM

I agree that Dawan looked like a total thug, but he seemed really sweet and I liked how he described himself as a carpenter, "I just build things."

I agree. I think this last bride was probably my favorite. She seemed genuinely excited and grateful about everything David showed her.

I was curious though why, for the second episode in a row, they didn't touch the bride's dress. I thought particularly the Irish bride could have used a swap.

CBee

CBee

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2008 @ 2:26 PM

I agree about the Irish bride's dress - that looked like a cheap polyester dress and wasn't at all flattering.

Mita_Jo

Mita_Jo

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2008 @ 2:37 PM

I too liked Dawan and Bayyina! They are my favorite couple from this season. They were both so sweet and nice and seemed to be so happy. And they seemed to be so in love with each other. Their wedding reception looked like fun too. I cracked up when I saw David on the dance floor.

I wasn't excited when she was showing her bridesmaid's dresses and described the colors, but they actually looked really nice together. I'm so glad that David moved the wedding. I know people get what they can afford, but after seeing Bayyina and Dawan and feeling their spirit, they really needed something better. I'm glad David could do it for them.

As for David, I like him. He's a bit smug, but since I agree with most of his decisions and have similar reactions, he's cool with me.

One thing I wish he would have changed was the sister's hair color, but it didn't bother me as much by the time the wedding came, though she'd seemed to have added pink to it.

Edited by Mita_Jo, Dec 4, 2008 @ 2:40 PM.

CBee

CBee

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 8, 2008 @ 11:32 AM

It wasn't on last night! Is the season over already?