Genre: Musicals

• Please log in to reply

475 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 30, 2008 @ 1:59 PM

Musicals are great, aren't they? I love 'em.

Split Ends

Split Ends

Stalker

Posted Oct 30, 2008 @ 2:50 PM

I grew up on a certain set of musicals. My mom played Oklahoma, The Sound of Music, Wizard of Oz, and Calamity Jane ad nauseum.

However, I have a huge gap in my musical knowledge. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Carousel, Porgy & Bess, Singin' in the Rain, to name a few.

But I do like some of the recent musicals. Rent, Chicago, Dreamgirls were all fun.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2008 @ 2:57 PM

Singin' in the Rain is possibly my favorite movie ever. I love lots of old musicals, like Swing Time, On the Town, An American in Paris, The Bandwagon, and a zillion others. Even though the story was a little thin in a lot of these movies, it seems like they all did a fairly good job of incorporating the musical numbers. When someone tells me they don't like musicals because "People don't just burst into song like that," it always makes me a little sad.

There are some pretty good modern musicals too. I wasn't crazy about Dreamgirls and I hated Mamma Mia, but I loved Hairspray, Chicago, and Sweeney Todd. Again, a smooth flow from the speaking scenes to musical scenes is key.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Oct 30, 2008 @ 10:55 PM

See, I thought Mama Mia (except for Pierce Brosnan's singing) was a lot of fun, but couldn't get into the new version of Hairspray. John Travolta played Edna way too broadly and the whole thing with Velma and Mr. Turnblad Zac Efron was horrible as Link; way more into himself than Tracy.

Loved Chicago and Sweeney Todd even though the singing wasn't that great. Can't stand the Liza Minnelli version of Cabaret. She kind of scares me and not in a good way!

I definitely need to see more old movies.

ethanvahlere

ethanvahlere

Stalker

Posted Oct 30, 2008 @ 11:41 PM

I grew up on musicals, because my father was a big fan. Mostly, he was a big fan of the Rogers & Hammerstein musicals like Oklahoma, The King & I, and south Pacific. And he also loved the Astaire/Rogers movies, though mostly for the musical numbers. I was more a fan of Gene Kelly. Singin' in the Rain is probably my favorite musical of all time, followed by West Side Story and The Bandwagon.

As for the modern musicals, I loved Moulin Rouge, but the more traditional musicals that have followed in its wake, I think, have been more concerned with form than with genuine feeling. Sometimes, that can still be entertaining - I liked Chicago and Sweeney Todd a lot - but movies like Dreamgirls and Hairspray seemed very paint-by-numbers as far as the music was concerned (and considering they were both supposed to be celebrating black music, the music sounded more like third-rate showtunes instead). I should say I did like Dreamgirls as a movie as opposed to a musical, but still, I'd rather have something like Once or Romance and Cigarettes, both of which have great music that feels genuine and advances the plot.

Which sort of leads to a question: are we strictly defining musicals as films where people sing songs that advance the plot, or is it just where people sing and/or dance? I ask because some people I know don't consider films like The Commitments, The Mambo Kings, and Pink Floyd: The Wall musicals in the strictest sense, even though I would. I also love all three films.

Oh, and I should end this with a word about another underrated musical - Absolute Beginners. Except for a bizarre accent David Bowie uses in his role as a slimy businessman, this film about late 1950's London is a real treat, and I even liked the exploration of race relations of the time. There's some great performances by Bowie (the title track), Ray Davies ("Quiet Life"), and Sade ("Killer Blow") as well.

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 31, 2008 @ 12:36 AM

I'm going to say that for purposes of this thread, "musicals" is "any movie with a lot of singing in it", so films like The Commitments would count. It's not a Broadway-style musical, but what the heck.

GoldenWoman

GoldenWoman

Stalker

Posted Nov 2, 2008 @ 10:41 PM

I absolutely adore musicals and wish that they were still a big part of cinema. I was thrilled when "Moulin Rouge" came out and was even happier that it turned out great. I also really enjoyed "Chicago". "Sweeny Todd" was so awesome and the music was wonderful. Other than that though I really haven't been impressed. I didn't care for "Dreamgirls" and I didn't see "Hairspray". I could go on for days listing my favorite classic musicals. The ones though that really stand out in my mind are: "Victor Victoria", "Flower Drum Song", "The King &I" , "All that Jazz" and "Cinderella".

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2008 @ 11:00 PM

I didn't watch a tone of musicals when I was young, but the one I would always remember is The Sound of Music. I remember loving it, when I was a kid. I kind of want to check it out again, and see if I still enjoy it as much as I did....

I thought Dreamgirls was alright, but the only times I really loved it was during J-Hud's big number and pretty much anything with Eddie Murphey. Now, Sweeney Todd was a musical I loved. Really, there aren't to many movies that have your lead character slitting people's throats, while singing. And I can't hate a movie with Johnny Depp, Alan Rickman, and Sacha Baron Cohen.

One that I liked that not many people (both audience and critics) did was Rent. Yeah, by using the original cast, they ended up being older then the characters were originally written, but I didn't care. I thought all of them still sung well, especially Jesse L. Martin and Anthony Rapp. And really, I'm glad they did that, instead of what some of the rumors were (Justin Timberlake as Mark? Ugh!)

SilverShadow

SilverShadow

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2008 @ 12:18 AM

I thought Rent the movie was over all okay (compared to the show, which I love) but Adam Pascal's voice sounded just...off and it bugged me. What's weird is that I saw him on Broadway afterwards and he was amazing, so it's not an aging voice thing.

Edited by SilverShadow, Nov 4, 2008 @ 12:19 AM.

Qui

Qui

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2008 @ 11:18 AM

My love of Evita knows no bounds and it is totally and completely my mother's fault. I was like 6 when that movie came out, and even though we own the soundtrack she will watch it every channel, order it on demand and so on and so on. It's funny because I can't stand Madonna's parts except for "A New Argentina", and my love for Banderas and Jimmy Nail and Cary Brooker and all various aides is incredible. I can sing every damn word of "Rainbow Tour".

The only downside is that whenever I see Shrek 2 and or OUaTiM, I hear "Eva beware of the city..."

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Nov 4, 2008 @ 12:51 PM

Hairspray seemed very paint-by-numbers as far as the music was concerned (and considering they were both supposed to be celebrating black music, the music sounded more like third-rate showtunes instead).

I agree. In Hairspray, the original movie, there was music and it was much more appropriate to the time/setting/feel of the movie. This seemed way too slick and happy. It really isn't a "happy" movie. It's hard for me to believe that John Waters approved it and likes it, unless he's dying and needs the money.

I think CryBaby (on Broadway) already closed.

OUaTiM,

What is this?

Sweeney Todd is coming out on HBO fairly soon! Can't wait! I know it's already on DVD (maybe I'll put that on my Amazon wishlist). The singing wasn't 100%, but all in all it worked. As you say SilverShadow:

And I can't hate a movie with Johnny Depp, Alan Rickman, and Sacha Baron Cohen.

Not to mention Helena Bonham Carter, Timothy Spall, Tim Burton as director...

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Nov 4, 2008 @ 11:55 PM

My love of Evita knows no bounds

The play is my favorite musical ever, and I was glad that I didn't hate the movie. Madonna didn't quite have the range, but I think she made up for it by basically being Eva Peron. You could easily use the name "Blonde Ambition" for a biography of Eva.

GoldenWoman

GoldenWoman

Stalker

Posted Nov 5, 2008 @ 3:09 PM

I can't believe I forgot to add to my list of favs "Rocky Horror Picture Show". Tim Curry is brilliant in that movie and the time warp is going to be in my head forever.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2008 @ 6:48 PM

I'm not sure I would call "Pink Floyd: The Wall" a musical in the strictest sense. It's really an opera, I think.

Anyway, I completely agree on the original Hairspray. LOVE that movie, and no, I haven't seen the newer version, nor do I want to. I can tell from the trailers exactly what it is.

I also loved Victor/Victoria. Henri Mancini all the way, baby!

Speaking of Robert Preston, what about The Music Man?

scarymary

scarymary

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2008 @ 7:15 PM

zelmia, get out of my freaking head. My love of Robert Preston knows no bounds.

Also, "Meet Me In St Louis" may be my favourite movie of all time. I watch it whenever it's on tv, and cry like a baby throughout the Winter season portion. I'm a sap.

Qui

Qui

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2008 @ 12:27 PM

sorry isiscloud, typing really fast isn't productive. It's Once Upon A Time In Mexico, which has also been ruined by Sweeney Tood. My love of Tim Burton, horror and Sweeney Todd combined to make a good movie, and I love love love "Epiphany".

syngates

syngates

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 11:20 AM

Musicals are probably my favorites of old movies, like South Pacific, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Fiddler on the Roof, Singin In The Rain, and the list goes on and on. I'm not too big of a fan of The King and I, but I think knowing Deborah Kerr didn't sing her songs kind of ruined it for me when I did watch it. In 8th grade, we had a student teacher who loved musicals and would sing us little bits for extra credit if we could get them and she loved me because I knew them all when no one else did.

Colombine

Colombine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 10, 2008 @ 9:36 PM

I was lucky enough to go to a high school where they offered TWO musical theatre courses (regular and advanced) where we just watched musicals and they discussed them. My favorites has to be The Student Prince, Flower Drum Song, Camelot, and Funny Girl. I was disappointed with the new version of Hairspray. I when I was a kid I wanted to be Tracy Turnblad when I grew up and I did not get that feeling when watching the 2007 version. While I have never ending love for Hairspray my hands down favorite movie musical is Moulin Rouge.

Misslindsey

Misslindsey

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2008 @ 9:27 AM

Singin' in the Rain is one of my favorite movies. I just love Gene Kelly.

I liked RENT, but I love it onstage so much better. The main thing I liked was that a lot of the original broadway cast was used, because their chemistry with each other cannot be faked. I bought the DVD of it, and am glad I did, because of Anthony and Adam on the commentary. Also, I did go to the movie theater to see the finale show of RENT. I hope they put that on DVD.

I have heard rumors about making a movie of Wicked. I do not know how true it is, but I kind of fear it. I would want to see Idina and Kristin in the roles they played on broadway, but fear that they will be considered too old.

syngates

syngates

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 12, 2008 @ 12:31 PM

I remembered one, somewhat contemporary, that I left out - Newsies. That movie was just amazing, and watching little Batman sing and dance his heart out - simply fantastic. And with Kenny Ortega directing, I'm suprised they don't show it on the Disney Channel, since it is, after all, a Disney movie.

bluroses

bluroses

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2008 @ 12:39 PM

Also, I did go to the movie theater to see the finale show of RENT. I hope they put that on DVD.

I attended an interview with part of the final cast and they say there's definately going to be a DVD, though they didn't know when. It's supposed to include a behind-the-scenes look at the final days, which I'm pretty excited for since the RENT/ Jonathan Larson documentary on the feature DVD is one of my favorite DVD extras.

I remembered one, somewhat contemporary, that I left out - Newsies. That movie was just amazing, and watching little Batman sing and dance his heart out - simply fantastic. And with Kenny Ortega directing, I'm suprised they don't show it on the Disney Channel, since it is, after all, a Disney movie.

Every couple of years I hear rumors about Newsies being brought to the stage and I really wish someone would get on top of that. Frankly I'm surprised it hasn't been done sooner.

Edited by bluroses, Nov 12, 2008 @ 12:40 PM.

Colombine

Colombine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 12, 2008 @ 3:51 PM

I just found out today that Universal bought the rights to In the Heights and are planning on making a movie. I'm not sure how I feel about this because alot of what I loved about that musical is because it's a stage production (like the lighting design). I hope they use the original cast. Any other opinions?

Mod Suit

Mod Suit

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2008 @ 4:08 PM

I've been watching 1776 lately. I know it's cheesy, but I just love it so much.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2008 @ 4:34 PM

Every couple of years I hear rumors about Newsies being brought to the stage and I really wish someone would get on top of that. Frankly I'm surprised it hasn't been done sooner.

Actually, I was under the impression that Newsies was a rather big flop when it was released. It's got some cult value now, mostly because of Christian Bale, but I don't know if it would be a hit on Broadway.

ETA: I just remembered Xanadu. At least the original movie had camp value, though, and I heard that basically everything was changed for the stage version. I don't know how that would work for Newsies.

Edited by Redtracer, Nov 12, 2008 @ 8:03 PM.

Misslindsey

Misslindsey

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2008 @ 4:59 PM

I love Newsies. I own it on DVD, though I do not watch it nearly enough. I heard the movie was a flop too, but I could totally see how they could do a stage production of the movie. It just has the stage-y look with all the big musical numbers. I am shocked that the Disney Channel has not played it, especially with their love of musicals in the past few years.

I attended an interview with part of the final cast and they say there's definately going to be a DVD, though they didn't know when. It's supposed to include a behind-the-scenes look at the final days, which I'm pretty excited for since the RENT/ Jonathan Larson documentary on the feature DVD is one of my favorite DVD extras.

bluroses, thanks for that info. I will look out for it. The RENT/Jonathan Larson documentary on the movie DVD is a great extra with all the interviews and it is pretty long in length.

I just found out today that Universal bought the rights to In the Heights and are planning on making a movie. I'm not sure how I feel about this because alot of what I loved about that musical is because it's a stage production (like the lighting design). I hope they use the original cast. Any other opinions?

I hope they use the original cast too. I am not sure how I feel about it being a movie. I fear the day when Spring Awakening, my favorite musical, is made into a movie.

Split Ends

Split Ends

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2008 @ 10:40 PM

I watched Sweeney Todd the other day, thanks to HBO. I didn't get it. I did like Helena Bonham Carter's little song about living by the sea and Todd's perpetual scowl throughout, but the rest just didn't work for me.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2008 @ 2:30 AM

I agree, Split Ends. I think that, while the actors could all carry a tune well enough, their voices just weren't strong or dynamic enough to pull it off properly.

Mod Suit

Mod Suit

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2008 @ 9:49 AM

The problem with Sweeny Todd is the songs follow such wonderfully bizarre structures that I think it's almost impossible for a novice singer to really make it work. It is my favorite musical, and I did actually enjoy the movie even though it has it's faults (the fact that it seemed to remove a lot of the humor being a big one).

Izzlusion

Izzlusion

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 19, 2008 @ 4:33 AM

Apparently, Stephen Sondheim was a bit edgy after hearing Johnny Depp had been cast as Sweeney, as he didn't know if Depp would be able to pull it off. Although I do think Sweeney himself haveing a 'perfect' voice would detract from the mean, depressive serial killer that the movie portrays.

I agree with Mod Suit about the removal of the humor, though. I guess that's Burton for you (although he is my favourite director).

wingster55

wingster55

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2008 @ 10:03 PM

My favorite musical still and probably forever will be West Side Story.