Canada's Worst Driver

• Please log in to reply

306 replies to this topic

Botswana

Botswana

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2009 @ 8:03 PM

This was my first whole show this season and I thought for SURE Angelina had to be a plant. Seriously? Oh my.

Did you hear Andrew say something like "Just for the record, she's not an actress!"? I couldn't figure out why she was crying during the figure eight. Put in a car with Wil. Then she'd have a reason to cry.

I was so happy when Andrew made Wil listen to a recording of himself berating Melissa, but I was worried about Andrew because Wil was getting pretty emotional during the drive.

I would like to try some of those challenges.

Edited by Botswana, Nov 10, 2009 @ 8:05 PM.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2009 @ 8:13 PM

Did you hear Andrew say something like "Just for the record, she's not an actress!"? I couldn't figure out why she was crying during the figure eight. Put in a car with Wil. Then she'd have a reason to cry.

I saw that and it was right where I was saying "she has to be a plant!". You'd think sweetheart would look into a makeover when she knew she was going to be on TV.

valueofaloonie

valueofaloonie

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2009 @ 10:47 AM

You'd think sweetheart would look into a makeover when she knew she was going to be on TV.

Haha, I thought the same thing. I mean...yikes. Never thought I'd see someone who actually uses a trowel to put makeup on, but...there you go.

Have to say that I think Crystal and Angelina are going to be the finalists. I can't believe how awful they both are; all the other drivers merely need to iron out their quirks and/or get some good foundation skills. Those two, on the other hand, are just reckless and flat-out don't care.

For the record, Crystal, having a driver's license is NOT a right. I think the scariest part is that she has a car seat in the back of her car!

noisebox

noisebox

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 11, 2009 @ 2:29 PM

How exactly did Arun get a license? Does Ontario have an exchange license programme with India that I haven't heard of, or was he just very good at passing the road test? I am one of those who are fine behind the wheel, but when you put an examiner beside me, I'm anxious and defensive.

Pepper the Cat

Pepper the Cat

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2009 @ 6:59 PM

My opinion of Wil completly changed after Andrew took him on that drive. His behaviour was a real turn around. I hope he can keep it up. I hope Melissa has enough balls to play that CD again if he starts up his crap again.
As a non-driver due to vision problems, I have to ask - how difficult is backing around a figure 8? I know Andrew made it look easy, but to me it looks really hard.

Botswana

Botswana

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2009 @ 12:05 AM

My opinion of Wil completly changed after Andrew took him on that drive. His behaviour was a real turn around. I hope he can keep it up. I hope Melissa has enough balls to play that CD again if he starts up his crap again.
As a non-driver due to vision problems, I have to ask - how difficult is backing around a figure 8? I know Andrew made it look easy, but to me it looks really hard.

I hope Melissa makes a few copies of that CD and keeps the original in the car.

I really don't think it would be that difficult to back around a figure 8. This one has lots of room for one car. I've never done it, but you just have to apply the same rules for backing around anything. These guys don't even seem to watch where they're going, so that doesn't help. I don't think this show ever makes them go any particular speed when reversing, so they just need to take their time.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2009 @ 7:22 AM

When reversing, the show just encourages them to go at a speed they're comfortable with. Occasionally Andrew may note how slow they are going (like last year when what's her name was driving slower than walking pace), but generally they are trying to make sure people drive correctly and are aware of both ends of their vehicle,

Botswana

Botswana

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2009 @ 10:54 PM

That poor Rolls Royce! The sides are getting really scraped up.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2009 @ 7:33 AM

I was surprised, it seems that CWD is starting to sink in on Crystal and Angelina. I still think they are hopeless cases, but it may not be as clear cut as expected.

And yes, that poor Rolls Royce. What did it ever do to you, Show?

I still think Jackob and the Father will be the next two to go; the Father would probably have gone this week if he hadn't said he wanted to stay longer. Jackob has shown he knows the rules of the road (he's gotten both the signs and the road rules mostly correct), and the distraction challenge was very eye opening to him. The Father overall is in a similar situation, and he has gotten confident enough that he isn't crawling at 20kmh any more.

Arum is in it for the long haul and is learning, but none of the judges will make him CWD; he's clearly trying to learn and acknowledges he needs help.

Mike is starting to see the light as well, but still needs more work.

Angelina... she popped at least 2 tires today. Has any driver ever done that? Wow....

In any case, Donuts and the Water tank. Great fun all around. :)

Botswana

Botswana

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2009 @ 11:38 AM

I'm surprised they don't get on Angelina's case about her shoes. The girl who was last season's Canada's Worst Driver wasn't allowed to wear her big shoes while driving.

Denimjo

Denimjo

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 23, 2009 @ 11:02 PM

That was officially the worst episode of Canada's Worst Driver (for obvious reasons). :(

Botswana

Botswana

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2009 @ 11:10 PM

Too bad it took a tragedy to make these boneheads realize why they're there. I just hope Crystal gets some lessons on her own.

westprocrasti

westprocrasti

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 23, 2009 @ 11:10 PM

Wow. I didn't expect Canada's Worst Driver to make me cry, but it just did.

And is it strange that this episode made me like both Father Giles and Jakob more? Of course, I've been on Team Father Giles since the first episode.

Denimjo

Denimjo

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 23, 2009 @ 11:13 PM

And is it strange that this episode made me like both Father Giles and Jakob more?

Not strange at all. It's good to see the humanity in all these people and maybe this tragedy will get through to some of them. I was teary when Crystal got the news but when I saw Father Giles crying, I totally lost it.

It was heartwarming to see all the messages of support they all gave to Crystal and her family, though.

westprocrasti

westprocrasti

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 23, 2009 @ 11:20 PM

when I saw Father Giles crying, I totally lost it.

Exactly! I pretty much wrote the exact same thing in my original draft of my post, and then thought I was over-stating how weepy I was about this episode. But let's be honest: it's twenty minutes after the episode and I'm still sad for Crystal. And I was really glad to see the messages they were all sending to her family.

Man, this show is far, far better than any other reality show I can think of.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2009 @ 11:32 PM

Damn, that was rough... really rough. Talk about a serious wakeup call.

Up until the news broke, it was definitly Father or Jakob who would be going home, probably Father since Jakob still has a few rough spots to work out. Crystal was beginning to see the light but she was one of the worst on the J-turn.

Afterwards, it clearly affected all of them, especailly Father. He couldn't even say anything in the confessional there, but his expression said it all. This is probably going to be one of the most sobering CWD classes ever. We can take some solace at least in the fact that she WAS learning on the show, and between the show and her family death, she'll very likely be a safer driver now. It's horrible that it had to come that way though.

At this point, the CWD trophey is Angelina's to loose. She's starting to see the light and improving a little. It seemed very telling that I don't think we heard her speak at all after the news broke; her nominator yes, but not her. Final 3 will be Arun, Mike and Angelina, with Mike in 3rd place.

Botswana

Botswana

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2009 @ 11:59 PM

Man, this show is far, far better than any other reality show I can think of.

ITA. I think because no one is doing it for fame. One of the good things about Canadian tv. ;)

Despite it's entertainment value, it's a very serious subject matter at the core.

Denimjo

Denimjo

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 24, 2009 @ 12:33 AM

ITA. I think because no one is doing it for fame.

Except for that jerkwad Colin from season...two?

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2009 @ 9:15 AM

I was crying there at the end. Just wow. The messages were heartbreaking. I can't think if another show where the outside world so affected a show during taping. Espeically since it was something so involving in the show itself.

It is Angelina's to lose for sure.

Botswana

Botswana

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2009 @ 12:16 PM

I only caught the last half last night, but I did record it so I went & watched the whole thing. Boy they were really dropping the references to hitting a motorcyclists and even a few about bicyclists.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2009 @ 12:51 PM

Now that you mention it, they did have a motorcycle theme to the intro of the ep. The news of the death was such a shock that I didn't even think of it though. Considering Andrew's teasers and bumpers are probably filmed long after the actual training, it probably wasn't difficult to set up that theme based on the events.

Pepper the Cat

Pepper the Cat

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 24, 2009 @ 4:00 PM

wow. I'm just an emotional mess right now. What a way to have a lesson driven home. (no pun intended). My sympathies to Chrystal and her family.

westprocrasti

westprocrasti

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 24, 2009 @ 6:01 PM

valueofaloonie: So...everyone else thinks that Mike Butt from Regina is a close relative (cousin, maybe?) of Brent Butt, right? I thought they practically looked identical!

I've just had this confirmed through my "everyone in SK apparently really does know each other" sources: Mike is Brent's nephew. And now I can also rest easier, knowing that I'm not crazy in thinking I've seen Mike before (which is not actually crazy, when you consider the fact that I'm the exact same age as him and lived in Regina for 25 years).

valueofaloonie

valueofaloonie

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2009 @ 5:10 PM

I've just had this confirmed through my "everyone in SK apparently really does know each other" sources: Mike is Brent's nephew.

I knew it! You have no idea how much this pleases me; no more will certain people look at me like I'm crazy when I mention the fact they look like twins. Being proven right is possibly the best feeling in the world. ;) Thanks westprocrasti!

westprocrasti

westprocrasti

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 30, 2009 @ 11:15 PM

Okay. Did I somehow miss part of this episode, or of a previous episode (I'm going through the previous episodes on the Discovery Channel website right now, even though I thought I'd seen every episode of this season), and did I somehow miss the Threading the Needle/Eye of the Needle (?) challenge? They showed clips from the challenge during this episode, but I somehow never saw it.

I'm happy for Father Giles that he went home. I was pretty sure that it would go this way: I thought Ashley's "win" as Canada's Worst Driver last season made it pretty clear that they weren't going to graduate you if you were a competent driver except for when you were angry/stressed (and especially if that happens frequently). I'm sure Jakob will be gone next, but he needs to sit down with Dr. Louisa Gembora and learn how to do breathing exercises or something.

I was thoroughly pleased with Mike Butt's Andrew impression. And upon reflection, I guess I should have been tipped off by the fact that Mike is the only one whose last name is consistently used. Everyone else is "Angelina" or "Father Giles". The show might have done that on purpose.

ETA: Wikipedia has answered my first question. I apparently missed the last part of episode three.

Edited by westprocrasti, Nov 30, 2009 @ 11:20 PM.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2009 @ 11:18 PM

Good ep. Shopping Cart Hockey looks like fun, and did seem to impress the judges too.

The Father improved a lot overall and well deserved to graduate this time.

I hope Jakob won't worsten because of this. Frankly, he should have gone last time (or rather Father and Jakob should have been 5 and 6). He does have some anger issues, but his skills are solid and his angers are not horrible (unlike Ashley last time). If he holds it together, Jakob should be ok in the end.

Mike Butt showed a lot of improvement over all. If Jakob loses it because of the fake out, Mike MIGHT be able to overtake him in the end. But he also realizes he needs help which is a huge step. He did get the high speed reverse done while Jakob didn't. On the other hand, Jakob rode the rails while Mike didn't.

Arun also knows he needs help but doesn't seem to be understanding it. It could be that he's just overthinking it and psyching himself out. A proper drivers course would probably help him, wihtout the stress of the cameras and filming a show.

Angelina is progressing. She's still one of the ditsiest people on the planet, but she's acknowledging she has a problem. I doubt she'll be able to help it enough to not get the trophy in the end though.

And the Trailer pulling a trailer law? That's up there with the School Bus law they revealed a few seasons ago as one of the most WTF-worthy laws we've got on the books.

Riding the rails? That one looked scary, and was probably really stressworthy. It was probably very telling that the high speed reverse, Angelina DIDN'T end up flipping the car. That's some progress right?

Oh and loved Mike doing Andrews intro to Shopping Cart Hockey. I hope they bring it back next time. :)

By the way, did I miss it or have they not done the teeter totter balance challenge yet? They showed it on Daily Planet when CWD started, but I don't recall seeing it yet.

Denimjo

Denimjo

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 1, 2009 @ 5:19 PM

Arun also knows he needs help but doesn't seem to be understanding it. It could be that he's just overthinking it and psyching himself out. A proper drivers course would probably help him, wihtout the stress of the cameras and filming a show.

I doubt it; he admitted that he paid for a course and didn't like it because he wasn't 'learning anything'.

Botswana

Botswana

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2009 @ 12:22 AM

Right now I think Angelina will be CWD. She lets go of the wheel and closes her eyes when she panics. Not good.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 8:40 PM

Watching the rerun right now and I LOVE shopping cart hockey! Every single bit of it! (I must have zoned out on in on Monday)

I wish I could try riding the rails. Looked like fun. And they were using a Sidekick which is basically the same as the Tracker that I had for many years. I loved that thing (traded my '92 in last year)

Botswana

Botswana

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2009 @ 11:47 PM

i couldn't believe Christine successfully drove backwards over the rails while sitting in the passenger seat and using only one hand.

Jodie's facial expressions in response to Mike Butt's breath were priceless.

I'm glad they finally addressed the issue of Angelina's shoes. I'm pretty sure she'll get the title, but I feel bad for her. She's just not very bright, is she? However she does seem like she wants to learn.