Canada's Worst Driver

• Please log in to reply

306 replies to this topic

OlfinBedwere

OlfinBedwere

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 6, 2013 @ 4:08 AM

Call me crazy, but I'm getting the feeling we might actually be seeing a redemption arc for Angelina this season. So far they've been leaning really heavily on the "Angelina is the worstest driver EVER!" theme, and the long discussions in this episode on what exactly her problems are and how they might be able to solve them gives the impression that this time they might actually get through to her. Either that, or they're going to hold it up later in the season and say "We tried our hardest, but there's really nothing we can do to help her."

Among the other drivers, Shelby should be the next graduate, and Michael's also doing a lot better than I expected he would, so he's probably not going to be the worst. Kevin will likely take the Mike Butt route and avoid being named the worst by destroying his licence in the last episode of the season, which (barring any redemption arc) leaves it between Angelina, Dale and Sly.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2013 @ 12:29 PM

I think Andrew was really sad that they had to graduate Shirley this episode. She was clearly one of the few bright lights this season, and one of the contestants he had the most fun with. But she was heads and shoulders over everyone else skillwise. 

A redemption arc for Angelina is possible, but it would be one hell of a redemption arc. She was ON CAMERA asking for a drug dealer from the show's psych doctor. I could almost see her getting expelled before she gets graduated one way or another. 

Shelby will probably graduate next ep unless he really messes up a challenge, at which point it becomes a non-graduate ep. I'm guessing next week will be non-graduate  (Water tank test is hard to pass with these contestants), then SHelby, then another non-graduate, then Michael. Angelina might get expelled at some point along the way or Kevin might take himself out, but it's hard to say.

I will say that Kevin is actually showing a bit more skill than he did last time. He's still a horrible driver, but with Dale and Angelina, he might not reach the Worst of the Worst level.

DukeNukem

DukeNukem

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 10, 2013 @ 6:51 PM

Its highly improbable that Angelina will change. She just doesn't give a damn and probably never will. Dale is just completely clueless. Both are hopeless. Kevin is at best only slightly better.

I'm glad that Shirley has improved so much since we last saw her and the same with Chris. It makes you wonder why some of the other worst drivers don't take more lessons to improve their driving skill too? Like Kevin who said he would keep working at it, but a year later is just as bad and still he doesn't want to give up his license.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2013 @ 11:03 PM

I wanna drive the water car! Please!

Why do they put mirrors on the ceiling of the limo Angelina? I still can't believe she's real. I can see eating in the car but a steak knife and a bread roll?

Edited by millk, Nov 11, 2013 @ 11:05 PM.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2013 @ 11:20 PM

Yeah, I'd get soaked I'm sure, but I'd love to drive it. Hell, I'd love to attempt most of those challenges. Discovery should make a deal with some theme parks to arrange a "Canada's Worst Driver" challenge course or something. 

Then again, the costs of resetting courses would probably be prohibitive.

A nonelimination episode; not too surprising. We should have 1 more to come at least, though I think Shelby will probably graduate next episode.

On the other hand, we could see another DQ with Angelina. It's scary to think she'll go back on the road unchanged, but I don't think she's changeable. Dale at least had a glimmer (An extremely FAINT glimmer) of progress, but Angelina has problems WAY beyond the scope of the show. 

DukeNukem

DukeNukem

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 12, 2013 @ 2:11 AM

Ok we SERIOUSLY need another tie this season for the title. Dale and Angelina are so incredibly horrible that they make even Kevin seem not so bad and I really didn't think that was ever possible. :(

Its completely inexcusable for Angelina to be drunk AGAIN after being drunk on the drive to the centre. And to top it all off she answers the phone during a challenge. >_> Dale on the otherhand completely forgets EVERYTHING and lies about it, probably not intentionally most of the time but still everytime someone asks her something or tells her she did something wrong, she denies it. Its like she thinks she's driving ok but then when someone tells her she's doing it wrong she denies she did it and then after a while she acknowledges it only to do it again and again. I think she seriously has to have some form of dementia because she looks spaced out so damn often.

Kevin is as bad as ever, but I can't get past how little Angelina cares and how forgetful Dale is to not even remember the basics of operating a vehicle and both are scary as hell. Just split the trophy between those two.

Also I was kinda disappointed with this episode because I was really looking forward to the water challenge and they ended up cutting that part down to NOTHING. Its one of my most favorite challenges that I love to watch and they literally showed like 30 seconds per driver. Andrew was pretty much the only person that they showed the course all the way through. That made me sad. =(

Orton

Orton

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2013 @ 9:20 PM

I've noticed that Kevin's partner is over it. Last season, he was saintly patient and supportive of Kevin's utter failures but this time around he's just done. I think ol Kev is going to have to choose between his DL & his BF.

The psychologist on the panel looks like she has to bolt herself to her chair in order not to chase down Angelina with a butterfly net.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2013 @ 9:19 AM

I feel sorry for Angelina. As scary and freaky as she is, when put under pressure she really can't deal. I hope she stuck it out though her inpatient treatment and kept it up after. It also vividly illustrates the doctors shortage in Northern Ontario. 

Dale should just give up on the driving (and I say that as someone who drives in St Catharines regularly). I love how she did eye of the needle perfectly though.

I'm glad Yolanda is leaving. Nothing would even be good enough for her. 

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 11:47 AM

I hope Dale and Kevin packed their passports. Because they're both on a long vacation trip on De Nile. For the remaining drivers, they're on the verge of tieing. If Kevin agrees to give up his license, it'll be Dale's trophy. 

Shelby seems to be gunning for the 3rd spot, but Michael might snap it from him. Sly might be able to become a passible driver, but he's still scary on the road. Just not as scary as the rest.

And now that we're seeing what a "Worst off" season is like, I hope they never do another. Andrew seems a lot more stressed this season than in previous ones; probably because he knows these people and is extra frustrated that they aren't listening and aren't learning. 

Orton

Orton

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 8:23 PM

Sly might be able to become a passible driver, but he's still scary on the road. Just not as scary as the rest.

Isn't he the one who isn't able to drive in reverse AT ALL or judge speed because of some brain damage he sustained in a bike accident? I dunno, I'd rank him at least equal to Mike in scariness, though not as bad as Kevin or Dale (Dale really does seem to have something wrong in the brains too though).

I was so sure Kevin's letter was going to be him recognizing that he was a shit driver and not capable of ever becoming competent, but no. He genuinely doesn't seem to appreciate the difference between failure and success. At least the other bad drivers seem slightly more aware of their incompetence. Prediction: Kevin doesn't graduate and still doesn't give up his DL. Poor Lenny.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2013 @ 6:01 PM

You know, St Catharines has an excellent bus system Dale. (its a university town) You can get pretty much anywhere

merino

merino

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 3, 2013 @ 10:35 PM

Has Dale's memory always been that bad? She seemed increasingly confused and forgetful and emotionally dysregulated--if that were my family member I'd be worried about early dementia or something. I actually felt sad for her this week. Kevin is in willful denial but it feels like Dale can't even be expected to assess her performance because she can't remember what she's done. 

Sly's reversing is so terrible that I honestly thought they should not have put Fred in the car with him for the 180 challenge. And Andrew, quit riding in the back with no seat belt, are you nuts, man? 

This would've been a fun experiment, since they had 2 high-performance challenges this week and Philippe is obviously a native French speaker: put Kevin, Dale, and Sly in the car and have him give them instructions for one lesson in English and the other one in French, randomized. I bet not being able to understand anything he was saying would make no difference whatsoever in their performance. Everything seems to go in one ear and straight out the other anyway, so why would it matter what language it was in? 

Orton

Orton

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2013 @ 11:43 PM

Yeah, I agree about Dale. She needs an assessment. I saw a few eps of her in her original season, and it didn't seem nearly as bad then. She was a little squirelly and tended to fib a lot, but now there just seem to be question marks floating above her head most of the time.

Oh Kevin. Lenny should be equipped with a Nerf bat; perhaps simple statements accompanied by a whack upside the head would help information flow into his brain. Although from the bit of background we got in the last ep, it seems Lenny was complicit in Kevin's accident. How the living fuck did he think it was a good idea to communicate via walkie talkie with Kevin while he was driving? And Kevin claims he preferred to have the car towed but Lenny wanted him to drive it. Lenny: your man is never gonna drive. Accept it.

merino

merino

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 5, 2013 @ 8:18 PM

Yeah, I agree about Dale. She needs an assessment. I saw a few eps of her in her original season, and it didn't seem nearly as bad then. She was a little squirelly and tended to fib a lot, but now there just seem to be question marks floating above her head most of the time.

I was in disbelief after the Icy Corner challenge fail when she told Andrew that Philippe hadn't taught her how to do it and "He said we were going to the mall." He made what was obviously a total throwaway comment intended to introduce a possible hypothetical scenario for the maneuver and that was the only thing she retained! I mean, did you GO to the mall, Dale? No? Then what else might have been going on? My jaw was on the floor. 

saturnrose

saturnrose

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 7, 2013 @ 6:43 PM

Can I join the 'something bigger's going on with Dale' table? Clearly all of the worst drivers ever candidates aren't great at learning (ie understanding new info, remembering it and applying it to a variety of situations) but Dale's mall comment showed a completely different level of out of touch-ness. 

Ciarrai

Ciarrai

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 10, 2013 @ 10:14 AM

Dale needs a psych assessment, stat. She bails out of rehab, takes a taxi home, tries to break into her house and partially severs a tendon in her hand (that they wrapped up with duct tape?), and then comes back and is completely off her rocker, refusing to stop driving and almost threatening the panel and Andrew.

Whoa.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2013 @ 10:55 AM

Agreed. Dale needs mental help of some sort. Though the Duct tape isn't that big a deal; they did have a clip (before the commercial break) of her coming out of the hospital; so it's probably mainly there to help protect the bandages, splints and padding and keep it all in place. 

I feel a bit bad for Michael; while he's a bad driver, he by no means is the worst; but because they need 3 drivers for the Final challenges, he's gotta do the challenge instead of Dale. Hopefully he'll learn a bit from it at least; but I'm not holding my breath. 

Without Dale, Kevin is clearly the worst now. Sly isn't much better, but he's not bad enough to warrant a double winner again. And unlike Kevin, Sly does seem to be trying to learn a bit but isn't quite pulling it together. 

Between Cam's comments, and the flash of Next week's ep promo, I'm thinking they brought Dale back for the final chew out, even if she can't do the last two tests. They'll probably narrow the Worst down to between her and Kevin, but because she didn't do the final drive, they can't award it to her, much as they might want to. 

As for cutting up the license; I could swear they cut up a license before, but I might be misremembering. I know they've cut a car key before. They may have given a contestant their license back to cut up themselves, which might be what I'm remembering too. 

I really hope the MOT will look at what was filmed and pull her license. The producers might want to have that removal on camera, but the department would probably keep it private, and probably not move fast enough to match the filming schedule. 

Between Dale and Angelina, I've become a proponent for more thorough medical fitness tests for driving. We can still assume people are fit to drive when they first get the license; but there should be some requirement that after a certain number of accidents, the driver loses the license until they prove they have the skills, and are medically (and mentally) fit enough to drive safely. Then again, not having that piece of plastic would probably not be enough to keep them off the roads regardless. 

And as I've said earlier (and on other boards), I'm hoping we don't have another Ever! season. I love CWD, especially's Andrew's snarking. But this much bad driving and seeing the lack of progress in some of these folks is just heart breaking. You can tell it in Andrew and the Judges, they're all shell shocked at how bad some of these guys still are, and how dense they are against learning/fixing their driving flaws. 

Sea

Sea

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2013 @ 12:14 PM

When the guy who's suffered actual brain damage in his life (Sly) is less spacey then you Dale, then there's something seriously wrong.

Pepper the Cat

Pepper the Cat

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2013 @ 5:35 PM

Dale is a scary scary person.
She needs to stop driving and her family needs to stop enabling her. Get rid of the cars. Cancel the insurance. And do not get in the car with her if she is the driver.

merino

merino

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 10, 2013 @ 10:31 PM

In Germany they have something called the Medizinisch-Psychologische Untersuchung (MPU) or "Idiotentest" which you are required to take if you commit repeated or serious driving offenses, like DUI or reckless driving or constantly crashing into things or failing your driving exam too many times. It's a lengthy, expensive medical and psychiatric battery to determine, basically, if you are too stupid and/or dangerous to be allowed to have a license. If you fail, it's a permanent ban from driving. I think the failure rate is about 50%, so it's no joke to get sent for one. 

The more I see of this show, the more I think the Germans have the right idea. Having to do an MPU would probably take all of these guys off the road. 

I don't even know what to say about Dale. She needs help and her family needs to do an intervention. There was no way she was going to listen to the CWD folks, because I imagine she left with a persecution complex, so somebody else needs to try.

Kevin should win next week but I have a bad feeling it might be Michael. He doesn't really deserve it in comparison but he should have been gone a few times by now but for other circumstances and the longer it's dragged on. . .we'll see. 

Starchild

Starchild

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2013 @ 11:42 PM

No way. Even if Michael's skill level is lower than Kevin's, which is debatable, Kevin loses this on attitude alone.

I wonder if we'll get an update on Angelina at the end of the season.

DukeNukem

DukeNukem

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 14, 2013 @ 2:04 AM

Its interesting how in one of Dale's confessionals she said she shouldn't be considered Canada's worst drive ever because Canada's worst driver ever would be someone who didn't care. Yet there she was standing in front of all those judges and not giving a damn as to what they told her. I definitely believe she has some form of dementia or something because she ALWAYS looks spaced out and messed up, can't ever remember anything and frequently doesn't make sense. It feels like its only a matter of time before she injures herself and/or someone else while she's driving.

Now that Dale and Angelina are gone, I'm praying Kevin messes up like there's no tomorrow so that at least one horrible driver will be off the streets assuming he keeps his promise. The only one that could challenge him for the title is Sly as Michael seems the least worst of the three.

Please please PLEASE let Kevin 'win'!!

Rachel Pringle1

Rachel Pringle1

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 2:23 PM

As someone who works in the mental health field, I am going to guess that Dale has a personality disorder, probably Borderline Personality disorder.

merino

merino

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 6:07 PM

Part of me wondered if this might not be the last season of the show but they've just tweeted the link to nominate someone for CWD 10, so I guess it will continue! 

Starchild

Starchild

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 11:17 PM

I'm praying Kevin ... will be off the streets assuming he keeps his promise.

Don't hold your breath, Duke.

Jamoche

Jamoche

Fanatic

Posted Dec 17, 2013 @ 3:43 AM

In the car hockey challenge, when Andrew is dressed in a crazy red checked suit and tie, with an accent that reminds me of Dan Aykroyd - I get the idea he's spoofing a particular character and the joke would be funnier if I knew who that was.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Dec 17, 2013 @ 7:54 AM

No idea the character but I took it as a general hoser guy.

Kevin is staying on the road with his enabler Lenny. His Hamilton drive was scary and I hate driving downtown Hamilton.

MissMitzi

MissMitzi

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 17, 2013 @ 10:31 AM

The character Andrew was playing in the car-hockey challenge is CBC hockey commentator Don Cherry. His YouTube channel is here:  http://www.youtube.c...l/HCLp1O5_ERqmQ. (You can see his decline in both fashion sense and coherence. I hope he doesn't drive!)

Edited by MissMitzi, Dec 17, 2013 @ 10:32 AM.

DukeNukem

DukeNukem

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 18, 2013 @ 2:25 AM

No idea the character but I took it as a general hoser guy.

Kevin is staying on the road with his enabler Lenny. His Hamilton drive was scary and I hate driving downtown Hamilton. 

Umm how is Kevin still driving when he burned up his license on TV? They said he hasn't driven since and Lenny was the one who actually told him to man up and burn his license when Kevin was looking to back out after getting the trophy.

Also I think Dale and Kevin should've split the trophy and made it a tie since both were equally bad, but I think the fact that Kevin could be taken off the roads because of his promise is the reason why he was the one chosen for worst driver ever. I can live with that as that drive with Andrew on the streets was possibly the worst in CWD history.

And oddly enough despite doing so badly in the challenges, both Sly and Michael seemed alright driving on public roads so go figure. :S

Edited by DukeNukem, Dec 18, 2013 @ 2:26 AM.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Dec 18, 2013 @ 10:24 AM

Well he could just go to his local office and get a new license, so destroying it on camera isn't that huge a deal, other than the psychological blow.

Dale and Kevin certainly tied as the Worst of the Worst, but the backtracking Kevin did edged out Dale's cowardly quitting. Neither of them should be on the road. 

Honestly, during the Mega challenge when Kevin did decently with the eye slalom, I was worried we might see a last minute redemption; but the rest of the mega challenge and especially that live ride clenched it ... and clenched a lot of other things. How the hell did Andrew resist not yanking the wheel when he was driving in the wrong lane with head on traffic coming? I know it's not the right thing to do, but that would be a HARD reaction to suppress. 

As for comparing how Mike and Sly did on challenges vs the Live challenge; I think you can chalk it up to the challenges being a lot less forgiving than the Real world. The roads have a lot more tolerances in general than the spaces they were threading in challenges. And people will give you more leeway usually; ESPECIALLY when the vehicle is marked up with as many markings as that corvette was. They're both still bad drivers and could use a lot of lessons still away from the cameras; but they are still salvageable. I don't think any amount of extra lessons would help Dale or Kevin. 

At the end, Kevin was clearly floundering, both on the challenges and in the confrontation room. He seems to be the type who tries to say what he thinks you want him to say, and thus they caught him in the middle of his false promise. I noticed he said he would "go home and take lessons" which he saw previously would be something that might make the judges friendlier to him; but his past actions had proven that a lie. 

Phew, in any case, that was a very rough season. The winners were by far the ones who have improved significantly, like Chris and Shirley and even Sheldon. 

Bring on Season 10 with a whole new crop of bad drivers!