2-13: "Meditations in an Emergency" 2008.10.26

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

717 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 2:42 PM

From AMCTV.com:

Sterling Cooper is in play and the office scrambles without Don. Betty learns some disconcerting news.

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 10:00 PM

July 2009 -- only 9 months away!

dahlizyx

dahlizyx

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 10:01 PM

omg. Omg! OMG!

iarockstar

iarockstar

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 10:01 PM

Captain Awesome!

akscully

akscully

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 10:02 PM

July 2009 -- only 9 months away!

9 months! Coincidence?

Edited by akscully, Oct 26, 2008 @ 10:03 PM.

WildEep

WildEep

Just Tuned In

I have never cried as ridiculously hard as I did the last 5 minutes of this episode. Dammit.

TaterTots0370

TaterTots0370

Couch Potato

It was a big night for babies! The unborn, the baptized (Don), the given away, and the big babies (Duck, Pete).

brandmed

brandmed

Fanatic

• Interests:Battlestar Galactica, Freaks and Geeks, X-Files, Simpsons, Firefly, Buffy the Vampie Slayer, Angel, 24, Farscape, How I Met Your Mother, Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars, Lost, Smallville, Saturday Night Live, My So-Called Life, Late Night with Conan O'Brien Reno 911!

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 10:03 PM

That was glorious! I loved Peggy telling Pete that she could have had him. I couldn't believe they ended it where they did though. I was expecting to see Peggy take communion now that she had "confessed" and I half-expected Betty to possibly tell Don she "was" pregnant. But oh the cliffhangers! Will Don stay with the company? Who will be redundant? Will Russia and the US blow the world away before Monday?

otterpup

otterpup

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 10:03 PM

Incredible!!! The acting was beyond ridiculous tonight -- everybody raised their game. Pete! Peggy! Betty! Don! I was SOBBING by the end.

sunburst

sunburst

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 10:04 PM

I have such a soft spot for Don and Betty, which was cemented by that flashback last week. His letter to her from the hotel, taking her hand at the end.... I'm such a soft touch. *dabs eyes, blows nose*

Snoopa

Snoopa

Video Archivist

Betty's pregnant.

I *hate* this contrivance with the glowing heat of a million Cuban missiles' exhaust.

Bad enough the whole dragged out Peggy's baby storyline but now this?

I'm really disappointed. I really thought the show would be far more weary of these hoary pot lines but I guess not. This episode just comes off to me as a very stylish soap opera :::sigh:::.

Guess next season will be downloaded and viewed 'whenever' rather than 'immediately'.

Damned it.

cycat

cycat

Couch Potato

Wow. Duck's kind of a dick.

ddben

ddben

Channel Surfer

Just want to say what a wonderful episode and series this is.
Have been watching from day one, episode one.

So many answers tonite and so many avenues to explore.

It will be hard to wait for Season 3..........

It is also terrific to read the posts and the analyses of the members of this forum. So much thought goes into them and interpretation. There will be much to read the next day or two....

Thanks again to MW and the other writers and also the cast.

Sportula

Sportula

Loyal Viewer

Don's letter to Betty left me in tears. Talk about pulling heartstrings. All of Don's actions really touched me tonight.

kirinan

kirinan

Couch Potato

Captain Awesome!

Thank you! I couldn't figure out where I knew him from.

I don't even know how to comment on this episode otherwise. Don and Betty...are they better or worse off now that he's home? I thought she was going to tell him she had a fling with Capt. Awesome, then the "I'm pregnant" came out. Wow.

I just have to process all this for a bit.

AuburnJenn

AuburnJenn

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 10:05 PM

The whole scene with Betty in the bar was so dream-like; I couldn't tell half the time if it was real or she was just fantasizing about it.

kmk23

kmk23

Channel Surfer

Oh man. wow. I can't really pick the best scene, but if I had to, Peggy and Pete- awesome acting. Pete was great all around. So was the refreshed Don Draper. And Betty! oh man. I'm a little disappointed that there was no resolution to the Joan-Dr Rapist situation, but I can't see how they would've fit it in.

I am going to miss this show for the next 9 months!

SassandtheCity

SassandtheCity

Fanatic

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but when the episode ended the first thing I said was, "Is that it?"

I just felt like the whole episode was so good and interesting and layered and the ending just seemed so anti-climatic given what had transpired. I think they should've switched the Don and Betty at the table scene and the Peggy tells Pete scene in order because that would've made a far better ending.

I did love how Francine and Lois made re-appearances on the show. I now hope to see Midge.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Couch Potato

My heart breaks for Pete - that was rough and to see him with the BB gun in the office was so sad. He's always been a man out of time: too visionary for the ad game (his notes about the rise of advertising to politicians was a high point of last episode for me) and too late about the truths in his relationships to Peggy and Trudy.

Side note: I thought it was funny to see that Peggy got a pink door to her office while everyone else still has the pale blue.

Duck, that's called 'overplaying your hand'. He went from kingmaker to exposing his vendetta in about 30 seconds.

Edited by NumberSix, Oct 26, 2008 @ 10:07 PM.

TaterTots0370

TaterTots0370

Couch Potato

That ending! It was so calm, with Pete (?) in his office, Peggy praying before bed, the Draper family watching TV. I was almost expecting Russia to actually blow everyone up at that moment. I guess that's what they were going for, the feeling that it could all end at the least expected time.

Everyone pretty much redeemed themselves to me. Pete got what he deserved for prior douchebaggery and even made me feel for him. Don is so completely reborn to me. That letter? All is forgiven, because he really meant it.

But, ugh, what happens to Joan?! All I could think when Don told her to go home is, "No! Not to that rapist asshole!"

Edited by TaterTots0370, Oct 26, 2008 @ 10:08 PM.

FourGOM

FourGOM

Fanatic

Fabulous - but I wish we had gotten another episode if only to tie up all the loose ends that we'll have to wait until next year to address. The merger, Roger's new marriage, Joan's engagement. But the scene with Peggy and Pete made all the uncertainty worth it. Incredibly acted by both parties.

Roclafamilia

Roclafamilia

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 10:06 PM

Will Russia and the US blow the world away before Monday?

I hate to ruin the Season 3 premiere for you, but this US-Russian conflict will be resolved. Should I have put spoiler tags around that?

Without Roots

Without Roots

Channel Surfer

This was the most incredible episode of this entire season. I know I've read that it wasn't as good as last season, but I think it has surpassed expectations during the excellent past few shows and tonight...oh my god.

I cried so hard during the scene with Peggy and Pete. First of all, the acting and control in that scene, amazing. But she finally confessed and could sleep at night...oh Peggy.

But I did not like that last shot of Pete with his gun. That has me concerned...anyone else?

Overall I am madder than a mad man that I have to wait until July for more of this show!

And I want everything Peggy wore in tonight's episode. What a transformation from "Frumpy Peggy" to simply Peggy...who now is just as iconic as Joan, if you ask me.

SpringIsHere

SpringIsHere

Loyal Viewer

Isn't the next season supposed to take place two years later? There won't be much of a baby storyline in that case. Just one more kid to dump on to Carla.

eavj

eavj

Couch Potato

That was . . . odd. And not in a particularly good way.

I loved the Season 1 finale. This one? Not so much.

I did like the Pete/Peggy interaction. And the merger talks went pretty much as I expected.

I think my favorite scene was the one with Lois, telling the guys what she knew about the "transcontinental merger".

And who knew Jane still worked there?

Anyway, I never like the shows that focus on Betty, so maybe that's why this seemed weak to me.

I'll have to ponder this a while.

ddben

ddben

Channel Surfer

brandman,

USA and USSR do not blow each other away. There is alot to read about "The Missiles of October", but they have always stayed true to real events

NeonJungle

NeonJungle

Couch Potato

Wee-hoo! Don's back in New York!

Wow. What an episode. The letter Don wrote to Betty, Peggy's confession to Pete, Pete's response to Trudy about going to Rehobeth with her and her parents..."If you loved me, you'd go." To which Pete replies, "You're right." I was surprised to see him with the shot gun in his hands in the office after Peggy left! Loved it that Peggy confessed *not* to the priest, though.

I knew Duck would get cut off at the knees when he mentioned Don having a non-compete in his contract, because Don was adamant in earlier episodes about not having a contract.

I was kind of surprised the receptionist would spill the beans, though.

What about the ending? Don's expression? Betty kept saying, "It's not a good time." Does that mean the baby isn't Don's? Don didn't look pleased. Maybe it was because they've been separated and have yet to figure out what they're going to do.

But seeing Betty's one hour stand in the bar makes me wonder if she's been doing this all along when Don's been gone, and thus her venom at Sara Beth, and now she's found herself pregnant by some other man?

Did we ever see the end of the scene on Betty's childhood bedroom floor -- i.e., were they able to finish? Or did Don have an impotency moment that night, like he did on Valentine's day?

So, is it summer or fall already, so we can find out what happens next?

So much material, so many questions...can't wait to read what you all think.

SideShow Steve

SideShow Steve

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 10:07 PM

BAM! Duck gets fucked! All that planning and scheming blew up in his face! "I don't have a contract" Hee! I think Don owes Pete a little. By Pete giving Don the heads up, Don went into the meeting calm and ready to face whatever was going to go down.

Edited by SideShow Steve, Oct 26, 2008 @ 10:07 PM.

SillyMamma

SillyMamma

Fanatic

Dear Mad Men writers, Please don't let Pete shoot himself with that gun, 'kay? Thanks

CherSolly

CherSolly

Couch Potato

Anyone else pissed about the lack of Joan/Rape resolution. I just know they'll start S3 vague as hell about it, just like Peggy/Baby storyline.