5-5: "Mirror, Mirror" 2008.10.26 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

149 replies to this topic

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted Oct 24, 2008 @ 1:48 PM

Driven by a hidden agenda, Dave convinces Susan to throw Mrs. McCluskey a surprise party for her 70th birthday, Jackson wants to take his relationship with Susan to the next level; Gaby's concerned she might be pregnant; Tom tells Lynette he's sold the pizzeria; a startling reason for the bond between Bree and Katherine is revealed; and an outraged Mrs. McCluskey has the entire neighborhood questioning her sanity.

Hot Pink

Hot Pink

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:03 PM

I cannot stand Tom. He is such a complete and utter child.

I want more Bob and Lee!

Maleficient

Maleficient

Fanatic

• Interests:music videos; zachary quinto

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:04 PM

Shut the fuck up, Tom.

Otherwise, I loved the episode, especially Gaby shrieking "You know what's really going to tear ME up? Another ten-pound baby shooting out of my hoo-ha!" and Orson's final scene with Katherine. The Dave mystery is getting more and more interesting, but I thought that having Mary Alice tell us about the next part of Dave's plan was a little bit of a cop-out.

Oh, and was Lee looking unusually attractive during the brunch scene?

Edited by Maleficient, Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:05 PM.

Username

Username

Loyal Viewer

Man, Carlos and Tom are selfish pieces of crap! And this is not the first time Carlos has fucked with Gaby's birth control/made her think she can't get pregnant when she can! I cannot imagine how angry I would be... but then again, she was also an idiot for not using birth control after the first "miracle."

question fear

question fear

Couch Potato

For a bunch of supposedly caring neighbors, NO ONE thought to stop by her house and see if things really were out of order? Really?

And Tom is the most immature asshole on the planet. He's seriously gone from being vaguely annoying to being a full on dick.

Also, the flashbacks were ok-ish...but overall this episode really just reinforced that the only people I remotely like on it are Katherine, and Mrs McCluskey. Everyone else can go.

Catcher22

Catcher22

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:06 PM

I'm a little mixed about this episode. On one hand, I saw that Jeff Greenstein was credited as the writer and I was looking forward to it because "Lows in the Mid-Eighties," the flashback episode he wrote on Will & Grace, is a favorite of mine. I liked that the entire episode (minus the flashbacks) happened on a single night. This episode felt more like a play to me than any other DH episode ever has and it was a nice change.

On the other hand, I like that they shook up the structure a bit, but if they were going to go the Pulp Fiction route, they could have fully committed to it and scrambled the time line and not made it so formulaic. By the time Bree’s flashbacks kicked in, I was shouting “Mirror Time! Mirror Time!” at the tv. This episode seriously needed Wayne and Garth sitting on a couch and doing that wavy arm thing they did when a flashback or dream sequence kicked in. It was too much for me when even DAVE started looking in the mirror and reminiscing about, oh...last week.

MonicaF

MonicaF

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:06 PM

The Scavo's story was the weakest of all, this shows you how little they have evolved, besides the kids getting bigger.

Aside from that I loved this episode, loved Gablos (bionic sperm!! lol) and Bree's storyline was great, really moving.

ETA: Dave is after Mike, I know it!! lol, well I don't but I have a feeling!... Oh and loved Orson and Katherine's final scene!

ETA2: I sooo thought that Dave was gonna kill Mrs. McKlusky in that ambulance!! eeekkk

Edited by MonicaF, Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:13 PM.

AmberJamie

AmberJamie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:07 PM

Katherine helping Bree with her relapse sort of explains her anger towards her: she may feel taken advantage of.

Gablos's storyline, and its' resolution, really put Tom/Lynette in a awful light. Though, I think that she told him "we'll find meaning for your life together" just for the sake of it.

Susan only went to Jackson because she lost Mike for good, and now she may have lost him for good. Ironic.

Poor McClusky. Though, who is Dave's true target, if not her?

Merlando

Merlando

Video Archivist

• Interests:Television, baby!!!! All hail!

And reading. And writing. And learning French. And other fun stuff to spread around.

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:09 PM

What the hell...another good one.

The way they did the flashbacks were great. No wonder it seemed like Lynette was giving in way too often to Tom's bull. While I felt for him a huge part of me wish he DID die. It would've reved up Lynette's storyline and gave me a shit-eating grin to wear for this whole season. I also loved how it explained Bree. I was wondering why she leaped to workaholic so fast when she already had a horrible vice to fall back on. No wonder Katherine was soo pissed: Susan could barely bear living with an able Bree while her house was getting repaired and yet Katherine stuck by a Bree drying out for we don't know how long and all she got was plagerized and a sad quote in her book. Susan was actually meh, which is a stunning first for me this season and yet she wasn't as meh-worthy as before. And oh, Gaby. I too felt that joy of an up-coming visitor.

I am in LOVE with this mystery. Come back and kick creepy Dave's ass, Karen!

Edited by Merlando, Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:13 PM.

TVGuy88

TVGuy88

Couch Potato

• Interests:Besides television.... Weather, World Events, Politics, the Internet, Aviation, Earthquakes

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:09 PM

Awesome except for the Scavos. Tom was extra annoying tonight.

Gaby was by far and away the funniest, blurting out she got her period, LOL.

That was Bree's "startling" reason for being close to Katherine? Seriously? Did like that the Bree/Orson relationship made a turn for the better by the end though.

Still confused on the Dave mystery. Poor McCluskey.

shipmate

shipmate

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:11 PM

I thought this episode was terrific!

Tom needs to stop whining about what his 'latest' dream is. Lynette hit the nail on the head that the pizzeria was his dream. The scenario is always the same - Tom says what he wants. Lynette says no (and usually that it's a stupid idea). He whines that she never supports him. She gets guilted into giving him his way. It is a total vicious cycle with them.

I thought all the story lines were great except Susan's, which was pretty blah except for the scene with her and Mike with the divorce papers. I thought that was well acted by both of them.

Modi

Modi

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:11 PM

I'm torn: I like that they devoted an act to each Housewife, but I think the flashbacks should've been scattered throughout instead of given to us all at once. Still a great episode though.

Tom is such a tool. I LOVED it when Lynette told him they can't change their lives for all his whims. And add this to the Watch Your Kids file: Penny, sitting in a convertible with the top down, alone at night.

If Orson really wanted to be noble, he would've agreed to stay away from Bree's business after hearing what Kat did. It's funny how Bree feels obligated to Kat but still treats her like crap. Carlos is a BLIND ex-con with a wife and two kids to support, but he still found a new career, so shut up, Orson.

Interesting that Susan wanted to save the marriage at the last minute, but Mike didn't. (I just now realized that was his only scene.) This must've been what hardened her.

I love Gablos more every week. Who would've thought that Gaby would throw a better going away to prison party than Bree?

Lovely Li

Lovely Li

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:14 PM

This was the best episode of the season!! This is what they should have done in ep. 1 but oh well.

I loved seeing Gaby find out about her pregnancies. Gaby is my favorite character on this show she is so funny i loved the Fertile Freak line and whatever she yelled when she came down Susan's stairs was hilarious too!

I absolutely hate Tom he acts like such a child. I couldn't believe he had the nerve to complain about the pizzeria after 5 years ago he was begging Lynette to let him open it! Lynette needs to divorce him!!

Susan bored me.

I love Bree and Katherine's friendship its really sweet.

Was Dave's burglar gear really necessary when he broke into McCluskeys house? He looked like an idiot.

Shalala

Shalala

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:19 PM

Really good episode, it started off slow for me but it was good.

Loved all the flashbacks but I was really interested in Bree's and Gabby's the most. Not only were they interesting they both were great in the flashbacks. Bree with her drinking again and Gabby finding out she was pregnant not once but twice. And Gabby slapping the doctor, who was on Will & Grace how funny was that seeing him. I forgot his name but I really liked him on WAG.

Susan's flashback was blah, I found it not interesting in the slightest. I don't even really like Jackson that much. Dunno why he's just not interesting to me.

Tom is such a dumnass what the heck is wrong with him?. Selling the pizzaria is the most stupid, inconsiderate, selfish thing he has ever done. Lynette helped him open and make that business a success and all he can do is go on a road trip. He's such an idiot.

Dave is still weird and crazy but this mystery is getting good. I wonder who he's after now that we know it's a guy on Wisteria Lane.

Poor Karen, I feel so bad for her. I can't believe everyone believed she was crazy.

And Katherine, go find your own man and leave my Orson alone. He belongs with Bree not you. Although I did like the scene at the end with them

Bree & Orson are okay and i'm happy. They really do love each other so much.

Good episode I was pretty pleased with it. Can't wait for next week.

Sayuri1188

Sayuri1188

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:20 PM

I think this was a really great episode. I want Tom to die, though, because he's so selfish. I think Mary Alice's mention of Dave being after "him" at the end might be a red herring; using a male pronoun limits the number of possible victims and is way to obvious. I hope Susan isn't whining over Mike already in the next episode. I know they are probably endgame, but I don't want to see them have the same issues repeatedly.

Did anyone else think that is didn't really make sense that Susan let Jackson interact w/MJ, meet Mike, etc. given that she insisted on their relationship being casual? I felt for the guy, because who introduces their friend-with-benefits to everyone else in their life? She looked really wishy-washy to me.

txhorns79

txhorns79

Stalker

• Interests:Lawyering.

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:22 PM

It was a great episode!

I love Bree and Katherine's friendship its really sweet.

I was confused. I thought Bree and Katherine were partners in the business, not that Katherine worked for Bree.

I absolutely hate Tom he acts like such a child. I couldn't believe he had the nerve to complain about the pizzeria after 5 years ago he was begging Lynette to let him open it! Lynette needs to divorce him!!

Tom is a dick. This is why I almost want to support Lynette when she does crap like breaking his guitar, because he then goes and does stuff that is a hundred times worse. And I wanted her to slap him when he brought out that bracelet and used his near death experience as an excuse to buy the car. He's a lousy husband, what with running off to pout because Lynette doesn't think selling the business and going on a cross country RV trip with the kids is a good idea.

I was also a little confused about Karen. Even if she is getting a pysch evaluation, I assume she will calm down, act rational and be released rather quickly, like in a few days. Dave was acting like she was going away forever.

Lovely Li

Lovely Li

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:27 PM

I was also a little confused about Karen. Even if she is getting a pysch evaluation, I assume she will calm down, act rational and be released rather quickly, like in a few days. Dave was acting like she was going away forever.

That was exactly what I was thinking. Why can't the police just look in her house and realize that someone did break in.

masked_spangler

masked_spangler

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:30 PM

I thought Eva Longoria was great this week. I want Gaby back to looking fabulous though! And in my head the barely-seen Scavo girl and the barely-seen second Solis kid are off-screen somewhere hatching evil plans :)

Tom is such an ass. Lynette was right, the pizzeria was his dream and she seems to do more for it than he does. Grow a pair, Tom!

TeeVee329

TeeVee329

Stalker

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:33 PM

Holy shit, shut up Tom! Lynette pegged it exactly right: he's an immature dreamer who keeps throwing all his cards in the air, security of his wife and kids be damned. And whining about his near-death experience considering Lynette had cancer? HATE!

Very interesting that MA indicated Dave was after a guy, likely one of the Desperate Househusbands. I loved his scheming little smile after Karen start losing her shit and his tender moment with her in the ambulance later was a nice one. What I like about this mystery compared to previous ones is that it's more proactive. It's not someone trying to supress a secret (i.e. Betty, Katherine), but someone out actively manipulating.

Good one.

gilmored

gilmored

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:40 PM

I think I fell in love with DH all over again. I loved every storyline, especially Gaby's.
Andrew had some awesome zingers in the Bree flashback, loved Katherine and Bree's friendship. I even felt for Susan, and as of late I didn't notice her that much. Lynette was right in what she said to Tom, he such an ass, I mean he wasn't the only one who experienced that, she had her fair share of that when she was battling cancer. I would have divorced him by now cause really and truly, Lyn has given up for him so much than he has for her.

I just can't get over how awesome this episode was. Especially Gaby's "Halleleujah! I got my period.. Oh.. Was she surprised?"
I'm so loving Gaby this season, and I love the 2 looks that Gaby was given in flashbacks, we really see how see deglammed herself, but I gotta admit I loved seeing Fab Gab this season again.

KLS

KLS

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:43 PM

And Lynette haters wonder why she can be a bitch? How many times can this woman be expected to give into Tom's whims?

JacG

JacG

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:47 PM

Loved Gabby..."whew who! halle-damn-lujah, I got my period! oh, was she surprised?"

Hate hate hate Tom...I wish Lynette would leave his selfish as*!! & where is the oldest daughter??

I really think Dave is after Mike & Susan...maybe it was his wife & daugther that were in the car crash (???)

ETA: OT: yay!! Twilight trailer during the episode!!!

Edited by JacG, Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:50 PM.

TrippingJ

TrippingJ

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:54 PM

And Lynette haters wonder why she can be a bitch? How many times can this woman be expected to give into Tom's whims?

Exactly! How many freaking childish "dreams" does Tom have? I honestly feel that Lynette is completely justified in being the buzz-kill to Tom foolish ideas.

I wish that Orson had threatned to divorce Bree when she made him go to prison, because honestly? That sancitimonious bitch is so not worth it.

I love how Gaby and Carlos have the best marriage on the block. Right now, they annoy me the least.

The mystery this year actually looks intriguing! This is the first time I've actually been interested in the mystery the show plays off.

KLS

KLS

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 9:58 PM

Another thing: Does Tom actually think Penny and his teenage sons want to leave their home, school and friends for a year to travel in an RV with Mom and Dad? Wouldn't that pretty much be one of their worst nightmares?

Darn

Darn

Stalker

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 10:00 PM

I loved his scheming little smile after Karen start losing her shit

Me too, that was so fucking perfect. I love Neal McDonough. He is utterly perfect. I haven't enjoyed a new addition to the cast this much since Kyle MacLachlan.

LOVED the episode, I love when DH messes with time, that always produces a great episode.

I was in stitches for basically all of Gaby's scenes. I love that she got progressively haggard and didn't just pop out Juanita and decide to stop taking care of herself.

Katherine offering to stay with Bree was one of the sweetest scenes. Dana and Marcia are magic together.

Teri Hatcher was REALLY good in that divorce papers scene and James Denton was more like a warped piece of wood as opposed to an unvarnished block so good on him!

Go Lynette! She was so right about him, he acts like such a baby when things don't go his way. He loses the promotion and quits like a bitch, he wants his pizzeria and badgers Lynette until he gets it, he doesn't want a pizzeria so he just sells it and doesn't understand why his wife has the audacity to get mad. She lost her well paying job because of your damn LIFE LONG DREEEEAM, Thomas.

SassandtheCity

SassandtheCity

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 10:01 PM

All things related to Gaby were hilarious and Eva Longoria continues to show so much growth as an actress from season one to now.

I loved all the little details of the past that make some things of the present work.

Dave really is the first villain on this show that is actually intelligent and his plan is working so brilliantly that it's wonderful to watch. It was weird seeing his slight remorse in his own sociopathic ways.

Readster

Readster

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 10:01 PM

Exactly! How many freaking childish "dreams" does Tom have? I honestly feel that Lynette is completely justified in being the buzz-kill to Tom foolish ideas.

I know. I hate to say it but I work for several people who act like Tom and then act like you are the one in the wrong. Something just makes them feel their lives are "boring" or interrupt their daily routine. They have to to go head first into something completely different because they can't get their own way. Doesn't matter if they are 16 or 53. You're wrong and they're right. And you have to live with it or risk losing: your marriage, job or security. When you just need to say: "Grow the hell up!" Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem if Tom got hit by a car and ended up dead. Because he is just useless and his only goal truly in life is to act like an immature 14 year old.

Darn

Darn

Stalker

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 10:06 PM

Ugh, Tom and Lynette's scenes just reminded me of that ugly Cancer Bitch scene. A few MONTHS of Lynette being selfish because she has cancer and she's a bitch. A few years of Tom's mid-life crisis and Lynette's crazy for complaining. He's such an asshole.

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

• Interests:television (duh!), pro wrestling, pop culture, awards shows, writing, dreaming, procrastinating

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 10:11 PM

I usually like Tom, but he was a bit too Peter Pan for me tonight, near-death experience be damned. Halfway through that RV trip he would tell Lynette he really should have tried his hand at stand-up comedy instead.

Interesting that Susan wanted to save the marriage at the last minute, but Mike didn't. (I just now realized that was his only scene.) This must've been what hardened her.

On any other show, a woman with an attitude like Susan's would be rather cliched -- she had a true love, but it didn't work out, so she swore it off, and on we go -- but to actually see the moment when all hope is lost was pretty heartwrenching.

but I gotta admit I loved seeing Fab Gab this season again.

Me, too. I actually cried out "Old Gaby!" at the screen.

Edie and Gabby seemed to have all the good lines tonight. I always laugh whenever Edie dismisses Susan as "Mayer."

I absolutely hated the brunch scene. I get it should have been uncomfortable, but -- and this is, of course, only my opinion -- I really hated that here are two successful gay men laughing at a bunch of prison rape jokes. Yes, you could argue that Andrew is bisexual so the point is moot, but I don't know if he's "out" to anybody but his family (and Susan!) and that could have been a whole seperate issue of internalized loathing. I'm often not one to be hypersensitive to that sort of thing, but it really irked me.

Edited by JakeyIsSusan, Oct 26, 2008 @ 10:12 PM.

txhorns79

txhorns79

Stalker

• Interests:Lawyering.

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 10:14 PM

A few years of Tom's mid-life crisis and Lynette's crazy for complaining. He's such an asshole.

Seriously! It should have been Lynette and Tom considering divorce, not Bree and Orson. In one episode, Tom has completely made up for any kind of crappy thing Lynette did to him by being a complete and utter jerk. Sorry Lynette crapped all over your lousy, not particularly well thought out plan Tom! What was going to happen when in the middle of your RV trip, you got bored with that?

It's not someone trying to supress a secret (i.e. Betty, Katherine), but someone out actively manipulating.

In fairness, Dave is trying to supress a secret, otherwise he wouldn't have had to get rid of Karen to keep her from nosing around.

Here's a question, why were Bob and Lee at Orson's going away brunch? I get that everyone would probably be uncomfortable with the situation, but it's not like Bob, Lee, Bree and Orson were all that close, so it seemed strange that they were the only ones there with Bree, Orson and Andrew.