5-5: "There's no 'I' in Team" 2008.10.23

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

206 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 3:59 PM

From ABCMediaNet:

Bailey heads up a team of surgeons performing a "domino procedure" in which each surgery hinges on the one preceding it; Derek gets sole credit for the brain tumor study he did with Meredith; Lexie goes to great lengths to have George notice her romantically, and Sloan counsels a desperate Callie on the ways of love.

LollipopGal82

LollipopGal82

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:03 PM

Five-second rule!!!

See, this is why they're #12.

doublev7

doublev7

Loyal Viewer

WOW. They really went there. God I hope Sloan didn't do what I think he did. If so, that's gonna come back and bite Callie in ass. BIG TIME.

SassandtheCity

SassandtheCity

Fanatic

Just so we're clear, Izzie cares for Alex? Because I didn't get it when she said it twelve million times.

mcsteamygirl

mcsteamygirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:04 PM

It was wonderful. Very balanced. Mer/Der were great. Liked Mark alot. He was great. Bailey was wonderful setting Derek (and the chief) straight. Loved that Mer stood up for herself.

Edited by mcsteamygirl, Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:06 PM.

MdMaxx

MdMaxx

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:04 PM

That was such an insult to lesbians everywhere. The Callie/Hahn story officially sucks.

LollipopGal82

LollipopGal82

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:05 PM

God I hope Sloan didn't do what I think he did. If so, that's gonna come back and bite Callie in ass. BIG TIME.

All that did was put another image in my head.

BNScrubNurse

BNScrubNurse

Fanatic

I lied. Screw Owen. I want Burke back. :( The stupid anvils killed me tonight with Cristina. The comment from Cristina that 'Burke was a man' speaks volumes. I think she still obviously misses him. It's more than just loneliness and I think the fact that she won't sleep with just anybody verifies the notion that Cristina won't just sleep with anyone.

The episode was fantastic tonight. I was happy with it. Everyone seemed to get a decent amount of airtime.

Keep it up Grey's.

CleoCaesar

CleoCaesar

Fanatic

Whoa. Was that…an actually great episode? What??

Seriously, though. It seems like characters were actually saying stuff we’ve been waiting for them to:

-Meredith yelling at the ever asinine Derek for denying her the rightful credit for HER clinical trial
-Callie telling Erica that She’s Just Not That Into Her (at least before giving it another go)
-Lexie telling George he was a jerk for constantly overlooking her
-Izzie telling Alex to pick either being a jerk or being a good guy

All of the above made me go "hell, yes !".

Other good stuff:

-Derek giving Meredith the kidney in the jar (cracked me up)
-The kidney stuff was actually touching and there wasn’t too much of it to overshadow the main characters
-Mark and Callie hotness
-Cristina actually remembering who Burke was
-Izzie and Alex kiss in the end!

And of course…OWEN HUNT.

I’m still a little stunned that this was the first episode in over a season during which I haven’t been writing emails or playing Solitaire.

Hot Pink

Hot Pink

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:06 PM

I liked this episode quite a bit. It ended and I thought to myself "I actually really like all of these characters." Except that's not true, I can't stand Lexi, whose George focus makes me roll my eyes non-stop, and Derek, who is possibly my least favorite character currently on television.

doublev7

doublev7

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:08 PM

God I hope Sloan didn't do what I think he did. If so, that's gonna come back and bite Callie in ass. BIG TIME.

All that did was put another image in my head.

LMAO! Touche.

Kit Kat

Kit Kat

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:08 PM

I want Burke back.

Oh God, no. Watching Burke emotionally abuse Christina for 3 seasons was quite enough.

So is every episode going to have Mere and Derek getting into a fight?

Oh George, stand the fuck up for yourself.

Disconnected

Disconnected

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:09 PM

Are we to assume along with the gift, that McDouche is also going to share credit with Meredith? I wanted to smack him!

kweam

kweam

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:09 PM

I thouroughly enjoyed that episode... none of the characters bugged too much, and I actually liked Lexie for once for serving it to George in the end. Izzie's mini speech at the end got annoying just about at the point she said "I care about you" for the 30th time, but then the hot kiss thankfully put an end to THAT monologue. Dereck was a dick. "She's a resident". What?? I thought it was a little contrived and out of character for him to be that way... or maybe I just keep overlooking what an ass Dereck really is?

BNScrubNurse

BNScrubNurse

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:11 PM

Oh God, no. Watching Burke emotionally abuse Christina for 3 seasons was quite enough.

I'm pretty sure that he didn't emotionally abuse her for three months, They loved each other and that's still quite obvious. But hey, everybody is entitled to their opinion. I wish I could get rid of Mer/Der and see Meredith move on with someone who doesn't call her a baby and treat her like shit until Bailey comes along and tells him to do otherwise.

mcsteamygirl

mcsteamygirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:12 PM

I’m still a little stunned that this was the first episode in over a season during which I haven’t been writing emails or playing Solitaire.

I know I read a magazine through last week's episode. I actually paid attention through the whole thing tonight. It was good and written by Jenna Banns. Is she new?

Kit Kat

Kit Kat

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:13 PM

They loved each other and that's still quite obvious.

He loved her as long as she conformed to his ideas of what she should be. I much rather see Christina with someone who lets her be her.

dharma84

dharma84

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:13 PM

Interesting episode. It was refreshing to hear Cristina talk about Burke like that. He wasn't my favorite, but she just seemed so so genuine in that moment talking about him (FOR ONCE).

Lexie bugs, though. I don't mind George being called a jerk by Callie or someone he really screwed over, but Cristina made it clear that she wanted to keep Lexie. He did have an interesting last scene where he basically hinted that like the cheating husband, that things will be different (that he'll have to get used to being alone, I guess). But he didn't seem to sad or whiny about it.

I feel bad for Hahn. Does Callie really like her? Did she have sex with Sloan? WTF!?

Dee2

Dee2

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:14 PM

Bailey's smackdown of Izzy's organ larceny was made of WIN.

kweam

kweam

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:14 PM

I think Izzie and Alex make me happy... They were always the hottest couple. Izzie is only ever likable when she's with him, to me. It's weird that they'd only really been 'together' for a relatively short period of time during season 1, yet they've got everyone rooting for them. That's great chemistry.
And I know this is Shonda we're talking about, but damn, is it too much to ask for at least ONE of these doctors to have a relationship with someone OUTSIDE the hospital? yeesh... I know, talk about unrealistic expectations.

MisterE

MisterE

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:16 PM

I've always been relatively sympathetic to Callie's character. There have been moments that I didn't care too much for her and disliked her judgment, but that? Total character assassination. She was just cheated on. It broke her for nearly half a season. What the hell is she thinking?

I'm so happy with Izzie and Alex! They are fairly complimentary to one another. Figuratively, not literally. He's still got some rough edges.

I really loved Bailey reminding Izzie about stealing an organ. Perhaps they're setting up something??

Meredith was well within her rights to be pissed off. It sucks not to be recognized for your contributions, though I don't understand how a kidney in a jar rectifies that omission.

Owen!! I'm so glad Owen is back. Yang needs someone and he appears to be the perfect foil.

This episode felt a little shaky and disjointed for me. It wasn't quite as strong as the previous ones have been, but seeing Sara Ramirez in her skivvies was enough to make up for it. :)

sharybeari

sharybeari

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:17 PM

The chief is a douche bag this season. I can't stress how much I hate Izzy. I wish she would die.

Pixels

Pixels

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:17 PM

Much better than last week, more balanced. This writer did better than the veteran one.

Callie is cheating, does she not get that? It's taking away the sympathy I felt for her when George did it. I don't care for Hahn, and prefer her with Mark. But sleeping with both of them at the same time is cheating.

Derek was a jerk, no denying that. Saying she didn't deserve it, next time Meredith better not give him any ideas to claim credit off her. Let the genius create his own trial and see if/how he can.

Her saying "Derek's not getting her kidney because he'd just say that he grew another one himself" was hilarious. Go Meredith.

Also loved Lexie telling George off and Alex&Izzie at the end.

I know, I'm shocked. Last week I spent the most of it trying to operate my new cell phone.

Edited by Pixels, Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:20 PM.

shootingstar

shootingstar

Fanatic

• Interests:Watching to much damn TV, of course!

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:19 PM

Bailey rocked this episode as always. And it was nice to Carl Lumbly!

I am really sick of Meredith being the whipping boy for this show. I swear something horrible happens to this poor child every episode. What is Shonda's issue with her?? So let's validate Derrick by having her drop the kidney and then have the awesome Bailey reprimand him for it. Mixed messages.

Another mixed message was Christina and the Donor Mistress. The message being that he didn't really care about the girl, but just used her for her kidney. I thought they were trying to make a parallel with Christina and Burke when she helped him cover - up his bum hand and he moved on without giving her credit. But yet, he's a real man. Confused on that one.

I was thinking the same thing!And wow how hot was Mark with his SLOAN Method. Shouldn't Callie have been tired after that?? I'm a little disappointed though. I thought Mark was mopey because he realized his undying love for Callie. Okay that was my fanwanking thoughts. I love those two together. I hate her with Hahn because I find Hahn repulsive as a person. I could get behind Callie with pretty much any other female - even Izzie. But whatever.

ETA, Owen's back,yay!

Edited by shootingstar, Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:21 PM.

Ciaoatutti

Ciaoatutti

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:21 PM

I feel bad for Hahn. Does Callie really like her? Did she have sex with Sloan? WTF!?

Dharma, the answer to your question is in the promo thread. In the CTV promo Callie is sleeping with both Hahn and Mark. I am sure the GLAAD advisors are so proud they helped this one out.

Anyway, with the exception of Alex and Izzie, this episode pretty much was kind of flat. It had the cute moments, but I still shake my head that this show gets the ratings that it gets (even though they've gone down) and much better shows are fighting for survival. I got the feeling that Callie wanting to learn from Genius Mark was more about not wanting another failed relationship and not wanting to feel she made a mistake and not any real "I am so hot for her". I am actually feeling sorry for Hahn, and that's a first. I am not sure that its cheating, since Hahn herself said "We're not sure what we are" but this is going to hurt like a bitch.

I also thought they gave a nice shout out to Callie/George when the cheating husband asked George "Whose going to care about my urine output now?" It may have been unintentional, but it was a throwback to the scene were George kissed Callie when she was the one to understand his excitement over his father's urine output.

Sighmaster

Sighmaster

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:22 PM

I've always been relatively sympathetic to Callie's character. There have been moments that I didn't care too much for her and disliked her judgment, but that? Total character assassination. She was just cheated on. It broke her for nearly half a season. What the hell is she thinking?

I was in shock too. What, she couldn't remember how Sloan used to do it and needed a refresher? Crazy stuff. I like that she wants the relationship to work and isn't willing to give up but her one step forward/two steps backwards dance is just too much, and getting a practical lesson from Sloan was ridiculous.

Loved the episode otherwise. Another home run for Bailey/Chandra.

Pixels

Pixels

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:25 PM

So let's validate Derrick by having her drop the kidney and then have the awesome Bailey reprimand him for it. Mixed messages.

Seemed like that to me also, validation for Derek's belittling her taking full credit for the trial and her being a baby. So show that by dropping the kidney.

To me the 2 had nothing to do with each other, dropping the kidney does not take away from her idea of the trial and all she did. While Derek was yelling, blaming her for killing people and wanting to quit. How funny he forgot all that.

BKs Nimo

BKs Nimo

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:25 PM

He loved her as long as she conformed to his ideas of what she should be. I much rather see Christina with someone who lets her be her.

Agreed. That's why I never really liked Bang...Burke constantly manipulated Cristina in order to get her way and constantly pushed her to do things that she was never quite ready to do. Sure, they loved each other, but it seemed like conditional love on Burke's part.

That said, fantastic episode.

Lexie bugs, though. I don't mind George being called a jerk by Callie or someone he really screwed over, but Cristina made it clear that she wanted to keep Lexie.

Yea I was not down with Lexie calling George a jerk. If she had any damn sense, she's realize that it's best not to work directly under someone who's a) your best friend at work and b) someone you are currently in love with. No bueno. Her smackdown was undeserved and it just made her look desperate, IMO.

I don't know how I feel about Bailey essentially talking *cheated on spouse* into the surgery. I love Bailey, but sometimes she really crosses the line.

Mistress girl was a dumbass. I can't believe she gave her kidney for a man that's married. After 3 years, it should be obvious that he doesn't really want your ass. I had to give her the side-eye.

I'm over Izzie and Alex...but for once, Izzie didn't bug me.

And Meredith and Derek? Well, I just think that Derek should have been more understanding/aware of where Meredith was coming from. I don't even think that it was the name of the procedure, but that Derek didn't really see anything wrong with Meredith not even being mentioned. And of course, Meredith had to get the "smackdown o'Shonda" that corroborates Derek's "you have so much to learn" by dropping the kidney. So contrived.

As for Hahn and Callie? I don't know man...I mean, I never liked them anyway. Callie doesn't really seem into it, and her reaction in the beginning seemed to confirm it. I wonder how Hahn will feel if/when she finds out that Callie got her second wind after some good work from Mark?

MisterE

MisterE

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:27 PM

I also thought they gave a nice shout out to Callie/George when the cheating husband asked George "Whose going to care about my urine output now?" It may have been unintentional, but it was a throwback to the scene were George kissed Callie when she was the one to understand his excitement over his father's urine output.

I was just about to comment on that. Nice catch. And that urine output dance was one of my favorite Callie/George scenes. Perhaps they will revisit what occurred with Callie/George/Izzie through Callie/Erica/Mark. I certainly hope it isn't written to absolve George/Izzie for their transgressions just because Callie is doing the same thing. (And she is, despite the lack of a marriage between Callie/Erica. She's still having sex with someone else while in a relationship with another. Of course, Shonda will probably explain it away with ... "But ... but, we weren't official at the time".

I think GLAAD is probably very happy with this storyline. I write for a fairly large publication that is directed toward Gays and Lesbians and most people say that their most promiscuous moments in their journey occur when they grapple with their sexuality. That's what Callie is doing. She's grappling with who she is and what she wants. I understand it. I've experienced it. I just don't think it's true to Callie's character to make her go there.

NYCBadGirl

NYCBadGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:28 PM

I am the biggest Callie fan on the planet but tonight made me get pissed at her. They HAD to have gone there. Why the hell would Mark need to remove his shirt if it was just a "lesson?" That's cheating. She is dating Erica. Even if Mark just went down on her, it's still cheating. What the HELL was Shonda thinking? I am not a Callie/Erica, but Callie would never cheat. Ugh. I am officially annoyed.