Genre: Horror Movies

• Please log in to reply

752 replies to this topic

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

Moved to Can I Have My Two Hours Back? Movies We Really Hated upon the realization it was more of a rant than an actual post.

But to put a positive spin on things I really enjoyed The Crazies; a nice spare, lean thriller.

Edited by bosawks, Feb 17, 2012 @ 1:02 PM.

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

I watched Let Me In. I was trying to judge it on its own merits, but that was hard because it hews so close to Let The Right One In, almost scene-for-scene. Seeing it, I was amused that they'd ever tried to claim it was a separate adaptation of the book, not a remake. It is a good movie, and I really liked Kodi Smit-Mcphee, but it isn't as good as LTROI and they're so similar that I don't really see the point in ever watching it again, not when I have a better version readily available.

Comparing the two, what bothered me most about the remake was that they seemed to have taken that darker edge off of the characters a bit, and off of their friendship. Abby was much more cute-little-girl than Eli - I get that she was going for something different, but I couldn't really see much correlation between the girl who hung out with Owen and the killing machine - and I never got the sense that she might have been using/grooming him the way Eli might've been. It was just a nice little friendship story where the girl happens to drink blood. Which is fine, but I find it much less interesting and complex than the darker version in LTROI, where we're never really sure how much Eli actually likes Oskar and how much she just needs him.

ETA: Oh yeah, I also watched The People Under The Stairs recently, and now I have a new favourite Wes Craven movie. It was kind of cool to see Everett McGill and Wendy Robie from Twin Peaks again, and still playing a married couple, even though Ed and Nadine weren't my favourite characters or anything. But I enjoyed them in this, they seemed to be having a lot of fun being evil. I thought AJ Langer had some great body language too, and it was nice seeing her in something other than My So-Called Life. Then the concept and setting are fantastic for a fairly light, entertaining horror film, the house is built like a very deadly maze, so it plays to my love of exploring old buildings, and the whole thing is just so very crazy and fun. I laughed so hard when the inexplicable gimp suit (Everett McGill's character apparently just likes wearing a lot of black leather when he goes hunting people) made its first appearance. If I ever have kids, I totally want to show this to them someday as part of introducing them to horror.

Edited by furrylump, May 2, 2012 @ 2:32 AM.

cabelcb

cabelcb

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:51 PM

Is anyone planning on going to see Cabin in the Woods this weekend?

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

calebc, I most definitely am. Can't wait!

cabelcb

cabelcb

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

I have been looking forward to that movie for years, ReadIshmael.

killershrew

killershrew

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:58 AM

Me! I might not make it this weekend, but I'm definitely planning to go. I'm also hoping The Raven is good.

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 2:58 AM

It's not out here for a while, but I'm definitely planning to go when it is, and may make it my birthday outing. I'm also dying to have a triple feature movie marathon with it, Detention, and Chastity Bites, as all three are 2012 meta horror comedies that I'm looking forward to a great deal. Although I am a little wary that Chastity Bites might suck, just because with no trailer, no reviews, and it being the writer and director's first feature (although they did have bit parts in Showgirls 2: Penny's From Heaven as "Gladys The Homeless Showgirl," and "Diggs The Homeless Showboy," and holy fucking shit, I didn't know this existed until five minutes ago, but I need to see it right now) it's hard to make a guess at the quality.

I watched YellowBrickRoad, and that was pretty good, although I had a couple of problems with it. This was a fairly character-driven movie, so it needed stronger characterization, although some of them were rather interesting. It may have helped if the group had had a couple less people so we could spend more time with everyone individually.

My other real issue was the ending. I'd like to hear what the filmmakers were going for there, because my problem was that it seemed so random and out of place with the rest of the movie, and I may find it less so once it's explained to me. Until then though, I would've preferred the thought the lead had had earlier about the trail being a trick that didn't actually lead anywhere to have been correct, if the movie had been able to find a way to end on that note. If the movie's a metaphor about the search for a more meaningful or extraordinary existence than the one in our everyday lives, then I really like the idea that the search ultimately leads nowhere, and destroys you along the way. Although I suppose the actual ending would suggest that even if you find what you're looking for you might regret it, and that's nice too. So what I dislike was the actual
Spoiler
I just don't get what they were trying to do with that at all.

On the more complimentary side, the movie was sneakily creepy in an excellent way. Whatever the trail they're following is, it has a psychological hold on people, or at least some people - I'm not sure if
Spoiler
were ever affected at all - so when people's behaviour seemed odd, or particularly edgy, I was always wondering whether it was just nerves or stress or whatever, or if it was a sign the trail was driving them crazy and they could snap at any moment. Walter conducts brief psych tests on everyone daily, and in the snippets we see people's responses start out normal and then, as you can imagine, start getting weird. And then there's the music - they start hearing all these 30s tunes, which is a wee bit odd since they're in the woods in the middle of nowhere, and what's good about this, it wasn't just a one-scene trick. Whatever's causing it, it just keeps playing on and off throughout the entire movie, making the characters nervous and reminding us constantly that some very freaky shit happened here during the 30s and looks set to repeat itself. I rather liked the look of the movie, too. I think the directors made good use of the environment, and I would definitely be interested in seeing more from them.

I wasn't a huge fan of Teddy for the most part - he didn't have much of a character beyond a desire to find out what had happened and where the trail went - but I did really like his eventual realisation that
Spoiler

I'll always be happy to see Anessa Ramsey or any other cast members from The Signal in things, but the one who most impressed me here was definitely Laura Heisler, who played Liv. She had such a fantastically haunted face that it was actually kind of strange when I went to her IMDB page and she looked all normal and happy. I never would've recognised her.

Edited by furrylump, Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:29 AM.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

It's a few years old, but it looks like The Loved Ones is finally getting released in America. I really liked this one, but I saw a bootleg copy of it, so I'll try and check it out if it comes my way. A friend of mine saw it at the Toronto Film Fest and said the crowd went absolutely insane.

Here's a pretty great U.S. trailer, but if you're spoiler averse you may want to skip it.

Edited by hardy har, May 18, 2012 @ 7:19 PM.

chesslover

chesslover

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

I give The Innkeepers 8.25/10

Virginia Plain

Virginia Plain

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 1, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

I watched V/H/S last night after hearing a bit of praise for it and, wow, I think I can safely say that was one of the worst movies I've seen all year. I don't even know where to begin. I am officially completely over "found footage" films.

However, I also watched The Innkeepers which wasn't perfect, but I found it to be quite enjoyable. It had such a great atmosphere, just like House of the Devil did.

urbanmilkwoman

urbanmilkwoman

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

I watched V/H/S last night after hearing a bit of praise for it and, wow, I think I can safely say that was one of the worst movies I've seen all year. I don't even know where to begin.

While I wouldn't call it one of the worst, I wholeheartedly agree that the praise for it is ridiculous. For every good moment there were two bad ones. The shakiness of the cam was INSANE. I nearly gave up in the beginning because I was starting to get motion sickness. I did think the webcam-segment was good and scary though, except that end was a big wtf with no explanation (like with all the segments), and I liked pretty much all of the haunted house sequence too. The other ones were all over the place, some of it good but most of it bad. What I hated the most overall was the unlikable characters and complete lack of explanation/clues/logic. 2.5/5.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

I'm still opposed to the idea of a Carrie remake, even though the pictures in the media have gotten me slightly excited.

Still...is it wrong that I might end up seeing just to see Julienne Moore die simply because I hated her character in Crazy Stupid Love?

StinkPill

StinkPill

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 11:17 AM

I don't know if i'm going to even give the new Carrie a chance. It's one of my favorite movies, and even though I think Julianne Moore will do a great job, Piper and Sissy cannot be topped IMO. I made the mistake of watching them fist fuck my favorite horror character, Freddy Krueger. I don't think I could handle watching it happen to Carrie.

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2012 @ 7:15 AM

I'm doing a Zombiethon party for Halloween does anyone have any suggestions?
So far I just have Dead Set and Fido.

Oh and Disney's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow just because I love it.

killershrew

killershrew

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

How about Shaun of the Dead and Pet Sematary? Or, for old-school zombies, George Romero's original Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead.

Virginia Plain

Virginia Plain

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

I don't know if i'm going to even give the new Carrie a chance. It's one of my favorite movies, and even though I think Julianne Moore will do a great job, Piper and Sissy cannot be topped IMO. I made the mistake of watching them fist fuck my favorite horror character, Freddy Krueger. I don't think I could handle watching it happen to Carrie.

I'd be really interested in a Carrie remake that was more similar to the book (having a fat and unattractive character would be interesting), but clearly they're not going that route with this, so I'm not sure.

Edited by Virginia Plain, Oct 5, 2012 @ 1:35 PM.

Schweedie

Schweedie

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 7, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

There was a film festival here the other week with mainly horror films, and I caught the recent remake of Maniac with Elijah Wood as a serial killer. Disturbing, gross and unsettling describes it pretty well, but it was also well made and kind of interesting, I thought. It's mainly filmed from the main character's perspective, so for the most part we only actually see Elijah Wood reflected in mirrors and the like. It also meant that we saw the stuff he did to his victims up close, which was - well, not very nice. If you'd prefer to be able to watch Lord of the Rings without being able to picture Frodo scalping people you might want to avoid it, but if you don't mind graphic horror? Go for it.

I also saw the probably weirdest film I've ever seen, a Japanese splatter-horror-comedy called Dead Sushi - not a very appropriate title since it was about sushi that came to life and attacked people. Hilarious, gross, and utterly over the top in every aspect. There's a trailer for it on YouTube, but I warn you, it's not safe for work.

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

I rarely outright hate movies. But I hated both the remake of The Hills Have Eyes and High Tension, and between them I strongly got the impression that Alexandre Aja has a problem with women. So although I'm interested in Maniac, especially because of the buzz it's been getting, a movie from the POV of a misogynistic serial killer as written and directed by Alexandre Aja is extremely likely to just piss me off. I'll wait until there's more word on it, and depending on what I read, I may end up giving it a chance on DVD. But even that would probably be against my better judgement.

Edited by furrylump, Oct 7, 2012 @ 3:06 PM.

superboy

superboy

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 7:53 PM

Anyone excited for Sinister?

cabelcb

cabelcb

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

Anyone excited for Sinister?

I kinda am.

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 4:00 AM

Also kinda excited. The idea of a demon-y thing which lives in images and feeds off of the people who view them interests me.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Oct 31, 2012 @ 6:34 PM

Last year I got Halloween III on DVD on Halloween. I just took it out of the plastic and watched it today.

It was a lot better than I remember it being.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

The original or the remakes?

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Nov 4, 2012 @ 7:55 PM

Original. I don't think the rebooted continuity made a 3, yet.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

I'm kind of interested in the upcoming Evil Dead remake, which looks to be dropping the slapstick comedy of later entries in the franchise and going for a grittier approach. Actually having a living person read from the Necronomicon is a point in its favor, as I always thought having a tape recorder set the events off was the height of ridiculousness. Still not keen on the angry molesting tree, but maybe I'll go get a soda refill at that point of the movie.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 12:42 PM

I always thought having a tape recorder set the events off was the height of ridiculousness.

I thought that was the point. The movie was rather silly and over-the-top.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 12:53 PM

So.....there's another Cassevetes offspring directing movies. Red band trailer for Kiss of the Damned. Is it wrong that I'm digging this because I think it looks like a bunch o' cheesy sleazy fun? Anyway, one horror site described the trailer as having a "lava lamp swagger of the 70s" and I think that's pretty apt.

The poster is awesome.

Edited by hardy har, Feb 20, 2013 @ 3:56 PM.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 12:47 PM

I thought that was the point. The movie was rather silly and over-the-top.

I didn't think the original was intended to be silly, though over-the-top I'll grant you. It wasn't until the 2nd movie that the franchise went into camp overdose.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 11:49 PM

Watching the TV show Bates Motel reminds me of how awesome Psycho really is. I've seen this film so many times and certain parts still scare me. My muscles clench every time that detective is about to get murdered.

Edited by Batman Beatles, Apr 9, 2013 @ 11:51 PM.

cmahorror

cmahorror

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 10:33 PM

I enjoyed the Evil Dead remake. Jumped many a time and left with a smile on my face. Good gore and

Spoiler
the characters made realistic choices. I liked the idea of having them there for a cold turkey session as that would make the person going through withdrawal unreliable and so the others would not believe what the person said. Felt the ending was a little bit of a cop out
Spoiler
but I did love the final fight, as well as the shout-outs to the previous films.

There is a podcast (Horror Etc.) I listen to that brought up an interesting idea. Technically, this could be seen as a sequel to the original films. The Olds car is in the same place it was at the end of the Evil Dead 2 and, even using the timeline of 1987, it has been 26 years since the events took place. So, the cabin could have been conceivably sold to another family a few years later (at a discount because of the murders that took place)and, because all of the people seem to be in their mid-twenties, they could have spent their teen years there.

Edited by cmahorror, Jun 1, 2013 @ 9:50 PM.