2-12: "The Mountain King" 2008.10.19 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

728 replies to this topic

ags

ags

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:01 PM

From AMCTV.com

Don meets with an old friend. An account hangs in the balance when Pete's personal life presents problems. Joan brings her boyfriend to the office.

Edited by ags, Oct 19, 2008 @ 11:56 PM.

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:02 PM

Well, that was so meaty.

Mysteries solved, so thank you, Matthew Weiner. But next season please don't leave all explanations saved up for the penultimate episode.

Edited by PolkaDotty, Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:05 PM.

Roots

Roots

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:03 PM

Well, we waited almost all season re: car dealership lady and WHAT A PAYOFF. My god! That was awesome.

Also, GO Peggy!! She's movin' on up....

Edited by Roots, Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:04 PM.

Maywee

Maywee

Channel Surfer

Oh please tell me Don wasn't committing suicide.
And poor poor Joan. But yay for Peggy!

dj118

dj118

Channel Surfer

I could barely breathe watching our Joan be raped by her fiance. He rebuffed her advances in bed the night before. He may only be able to perform if he is the aggressor. Please Joan,RUN! You are too good for this.

Loved the way Peggy just shrugged off the guys bitching because she got Freddie's office . :)

I really liked Anna, the original Mr. Draper. Don really does have a friend in this world.But for how long will he remain in this world ?Could Mad Men survive without it's leading Man?

Pete, as usual, was a douche.

jaychicago75

jaychicago75

Channel Surfer

"Nobody made you sleep with him!"

Betty's such a bitch.

Love how she just threw her kid in the fucking closet, too.

Edith Roosevelt

Edith Roosevelt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:05 PM

Betty's a bitch who's absolutely correct. Sarah Beth is responsible for her own behavior.

PaFan

PaFan

Channel Surfer

I hope Jon Hamm uses his scene with Mrs. Draper for consideration next Emmy-go-round. I've never seen fear so realistically portrayed. In fact, he changes everything about himself when he's Dick Whitman. Quite the episode. Any thoughts on where Joan will go with her rapist fiance?

SassandtheCity

SassandtheCity

Fanatic

More over America Ferrera, there's a whole new kind of Ugly Betty.

I loved everything that Peggy did from the "Catholics can sell anything" to her being able to smoke and not cough unlike season one to her telling Pete that she was sleeping with Don.

The scene of the doctor and Joan on the floor of Don's office was so sad and creepy especially because it felt like Joan had played this scene before.

I loved all the callbacks and I loved how John Hamm can look and seem like a completely different Don in the flashbacks, just his boyish mannerisms and such.

I loved the actress playing the original Mrs. Draper. She seemed like she was straight out of a 50s movie with her speaking voice, like a smoother Rosalind Russell.

There were so many quotes that were amazing tonight but my favorite was the female Cooper I think saying that Roger would have plenty of many for his children and him saying he just had one and her sardonic reply of, "Really?"

Edited by SassandtheCity, Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:07 PM.

HobokenMartha

HobokenMartha

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:06 PM

My mind is pretty superblown. Jon Hamm, you get three Emmys next year--one for Don Draper, one for Dick Whitman, and one for that guy you are in California.

I LOVE the first Mrs. Draper. (Real Mrs. Draper?)

And my heart just aches for Joan. Please, Peggy, start your own agency and TAKE HER AWAY FROM THAT RAPIST.

AnansiGirl

AnansiGirl

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:06 PM

Anna was a really lovely woman. It was amazing to watch Don interact with her--he was so relaxed and natural.

What was the deal with Betty bleeding? Did she get her period unexpectedly? I was confused by that.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:07 PM

I don't think Don was committing suicide. He was going through a baptism, and who knows how he will be reborn!

I want to hug Joan . . . and cut off Dr. Fiance's balls.

For a show called "The Mountain King," there was a serious lack of mountains.

I was almost unnerved watching Don be so friendly with a woman without trying to get in her pants. But that bond was so unexpectedly pleasant.

I'm getting really scared over why Betty was unexpectedly bleeding. My guess is "irregular cycle" is not dramatic enough of a reason. Thoughts?

datadame

datadame

Channel Surfer

I didn't see Don's walk into the ocean as suicidal -- more like cleansing, especially with the lyrics of the song that played the show out.

I loved the decor in Anna's living room. We TOTALLY had a room divider like hers, with tchotchkes and framed photos, between the living room and dining room.

Ironic that Don was fixing a dining room chair for Anna, when a couple of episodes back, he couldn't be bothered to do that at his own home and Betty had a melt-down over it.

Best line of the episode, hands down:
Bertram: "Dammit, Alice, I don't ask much of you..." (realizing she's still wearing her shoes while walking on his office carpet)
Alice: "My stockings cost more than your carpet."

WinterHaze

WinterHaze

Channel Surfer

EdithRoosevelt, of course you're right, but the schadenfreude with which Betty was trying to extract the truth of the situation truly reflected her Nordic heritage. ;)

Also, I loved the younger Don scene. Maybe a bit overplayed by Hamm? But something about Don finally, finally having some sort of approving "mother" figure was just so beautiful to me.

ETA: Is/was Betty prego?!

Edited by WinterHaze, Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:08 PM.

FourGOM

FourGOM

Fanatic

Where was Betty bleeding from when she was talking to Sally? For a second I started thinking "Miscarriage!"

Joan getting raped was probably the most horrific thing I've seen on TV in a while. CH did an excellent job with a really difficult moment.

Does anyone know what Alice Cooper was talking about with reference to Bert's architect in Montana? That entire exchange went over my head.

The Don/Anna plot was completely riveting - probably the only time he's ever been truly comfortable with someone on the show.

Edith Roosevelt

Edith Roosevelt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:08 PM

Ahhh, but poor Joan is over 30 and unmarried. A failure in the mindset of her time. The fiancÚ is her last chance. Betty's pregnant, of course.

Zif

Zif

Fanatic

At last we've solved the mystery of the Meditations recipient!

I was loving the women in this episode, especially Sheila dumping Paul offscreen, Peggy and Joan's rapprochement (with Peggy complimenting Joan's doctor and Joan congratulating Peggy on her new office), Peggy asking flat-out for an office and Roger being impressed by her candour, Peggy drawing on her religious background to sneak powerful Christian imagery into the Popsicle ad, and Anna, who seems like the kind of warm, almost motherly presence Don desperately needs. The flashback with him and Anna around Christmas showed a different side to him, and he was so open and honest with her (almost childlike).

One other great female character was Bert's sister, Alice Cooper (ha!). I have a feeling she and Lucille Bluth from Arrested Development would either hate each other on sight, or get along like a house on fire. I also loved her getting her digs in on Roger's relationship with Jane ("you have to provide for your children").

It was a bit of a surprise when Anna busted out the Tarot cards (the deck she was using looked awfully new, and I doubt that kind was around in the 1960s, as I have an identical pack that I bought just a few years ago), and she neglected to mention that in her spread, it looked like "the Sun" was reversed, which, well, reverses its meaning. She was correct in her interpretation of Judgment, but the World doesn't stand for wisdom: it stands for worldly success, achievement, and fulfilment.

I was worried Joan's neck would snap or something during her assault. The lingering shot from her POV looked blurry, as if she was passing out.

Another great thing I loved was Peggy and Sally smoking furtively, both missing their "Daddy" (a callback to Peggy in the season premiere).

Pete was a total asshole to Trudy this episode, but he seems hellbent on regaining control of his life, even if that means throwing out the baby (the Clearasil account and his marriage) with the bathwater.

I liked Pete and Peggy's conversation at the end; when she joked about sleeping with Don to land the office, the fact that Pete could smile says a lot about a gradual thawing. Peggy also seems to be the only one at SC that Pete confides in, and he seemed sincere when he congratulated her on the office (as opposed to the reaction of Paul and Harry, who were absolutely outraged).

Don wading into the sea could be suicidal, or rather another echo of Christian imagery (baptised and thereby reborn).

Edited by Zif, Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:20 PM.

brandmed

brandmed

Fanatic

• Interests:Battlestar Galactica, Freaks and Geeks, X-Files, Simpsons, Firefly, Buffy the Vampie Slayer, Angel, 24, Farscape, How I Met Your Mother, Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars, Lost, Smallville, Saturday Night Live, My So-Called Life, Late Night with Conan O'Brien Reno 911!

I had the same "Is Don committing suicide" thoughts? Man, he and Betty are both so screwed up right now.

I loved all the stuff back at the office though. Cooper's sister(her crack at Roger about having more than one kid was priceless also her stockings were nicer than the carpet) was a great character. Peggy was awesome! The crucifix/Popsicle ad and communion talk was great and the office with her joke about sleeping with Don. However, it was so devastating watching Joan get raped by her fiance. I really enjoyed the seemingly new camaraderie between her and Peggy though.

Pinwiz

Pinwiz

Couch Potato

Congrats to Peggy on having the stones to get the office, but why oh why are the bangs back? Please tell me that they'll go away eventually...

smarter than me

smarter than me

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:09 PM

Still reeling from Joan's rape. If she marries him I will die inside. :(((

quickychick

quickychick

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:09 PM

My opinion of Betty had slowly been going downhill, but it nosedived tonight.

Poor Joan...the rape and then her trying to reach out to Peggy even though it was so slight, only to have the office door shut in her face (and the line drawn that she and Peggy are now very different) broke my heart.

shriekingeel

shriekingeel

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:11 PM

Alternate episode title: "Our Lady of Popsicles."

I like that Don has at least one healthy relationship in his life. "The Day the Earth Stood Still" indeed!

Edited by shriekingeel, Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:14 PM.

Temmere

Temmere

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:11 PM

Jesus Christ. That was the first episode of this show that I think I never want to see again. And I know this show well enough to know that Joan will NOT be leaving that guy or doing anything to disrupt her future with him. That was just goddamn agonizing.

subes

subes

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:12 PM

I'm still trying to process this episode but just wanted to mention how funny it is that Bert's sister's name is Alice Cooper, lol!

coltrane

coltrane

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:13 PM

I liked how genuinely in love Don/Dick seemed with Betty back in the day

jellybabiesrus

jellybabiesrus

Video Archivist

Anyone know where I can get a Madonna of the Popscicle icon?

**edited because dammit! shriekingeel beat me to it.

Edited by jellybabiesrus, Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:14 PM.

ovrdedge

ovrdedge

Fanatic

Poor Joan! She needs to kick that rapist doctor fiance to the curb, even if he seems to be the perfect guy on paper. That scene in Don's office was just awful.

Loved the friendship between Don and the original Mrs. Draper! Who'd have known it from the one encounter we saw previously. He seems so much more relaxed and open with her than we'd ever seen him before. I know Joan told the boys that Don had called, but I wonder if he has, or has he just been awol with no word about where he is or when he'll be back?

I was hoping that Cooper would say nay to the merger. I don't want Duck's underhanded shenanigans to pay off for him!

meanteeth

meanteeth

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:14 PM

I kept saying, "Oh Joan" over and over while watching her with her fiance. I hope this is the impetus for her to completely change her life, but I don't think it is.

Betty is ricocheting between madness and calm. Yes, it's true, no one makes anyone have an affair . . . but wow. I couldn't believe how she was acting. And I guess the scene with her getting her period was supposed to hit us over the head with her "adulthood" but it was weirdly anvil-like for an otherwise beautifully nuanced show.

I'm really happy for Peggy; oddly happy for Pete, too-- cool that he stood up to Trudy and his father-in-law. As annoying as he is, I thought that was a great moment for him.

And . . . Paul's return was totally anticlimactic. Maybe now that Sheila's dumped him he and Joan will get back together?

AnansiGirl

AnansiGirl

Video Archivist

Bert's sister was so awesome. Her Roger snark was hilarious..."Let him have what he's always wanted--to die in the arms of a 20 year old" and "You have to provide for your children." He so deserves it. He's such an ass right now, with what he's doing to Mona.

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

I loved everything that Peggy did from the "Catholics can sell anything" to her being able to smoke and not cough unlike season one to her telling Pete that she was sleeping with Don.

Our Peg is quite awesome. I loved her "gray flannel" alternative to the man in the gray flannel suit. She has undergone quite a transformation from the first episode. She's beautiful, and a pleasure to watch how she is blossoming.

I think Joan has been through this with Dr. Creep. All I could think was to yell, Help, but she would have been too mortified having the people in the office know what was happening. And I think she is probably convinced that this is OK, because she has never had a committed, healthy relationship. Her mindset: This is just women have to do.

Betty bleeding? Could it be related to the shaking hands that we saw, what was it, 25 episodes ago? They never explained that one, but I'm guessing in October 2009 that question will be answered.