Genre: Comic Book/Superhero Movies

• Please log in to reply

1505 replies to this topic

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2011 @ 3:12 PM

I like the way Cap looks in those shots. The suit looks really bright in a few. Maybe it's just the sun.

Edited by vb68, Sep 3, 2011 @ 3:19 PM.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2011 @ 7:04 PM

I'm kind of surprised Hawkeye doesn't have a compound bow, they're a lot easier to shoot than the long bow he has in those pictures.

Maybe because he's that good, he doesn't need an easier bow?

Cap's suit does look awfully bright, and the helmet doesn't help the blue condom comparisons, but I'm hoping the post-production saturates it a bit. I think a brown belt would have helped break up the blue.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 2:34 PM

According to this, it looks like there has been a recast for the role of Lor-Van. Julia Ormond is out and now Ayelet Zurer (Angels & Demons, Munich), is in. If true, I wonder what the reasons were.

Edited by thuganomics85, Sep 26, 2011 @ 2:34 PM.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2011 @ 12:19 PM

That is interesting. I've honestly Never heard of Zurer.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2011 @ 11:13 AM

The new Avengers trailer is online and it is all kinds of awesome.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2011 @ 11:44 AM

I don't know if the actual movie will be good, but the friction between the heroes should be worth the price of admission.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted Oct 12, 2011 @ 5:03 PM

Awesome Avengers trailer and awesome production pics. I think it's funny that the working coded title for the movie is "Group Hug".

Hawkeye is one of my favorite characters so I'm hoping they don't screw him up. I wish his costume looked a bit more like the comics though. I especially wish he had the pointy mask. Not liking Caps mask. The painted on wings look odd.

TheHappyEmo

TheHappyEmo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 13, 2011 @ 9:28 PM

I'm worried the hype for the "Avengers" is so high that whatever actually appears on screen will be a letdown from the movie we all have in our minds.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Nov 8, 2011 @ 2:41 PM

I have to say I'm disappointed that the Black Widow appears to be the only female Avenger in the movie. Nothing against Scarlett Johanssen (I actually liked what she did in IM2), but no Janet? No Wanda? Please.

I think shrinking and hex powers are kind of tougher sell in a movie. They need to devote more time to that.

Oh, I totally get why they'd be a tough sell. (It's not like Wanda's powers have even been treated in a completely consistent way in the books.) I'll just be sorry not to see those two characters, that's all.

In a way, it seems kind of funny that the X-Men have the easier backstory that way:

"We kind of need to explain to the non-fanboys in the movie audience how all these crazy mutant kids got their freaky powers, don't we?"
"Uh, puberty's pretty freaky."
"Okay! Puberty, boom! Done."

Edited by Sandman, Nov 15, 2011 @ 9:56 PM.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 1:16 AM

I think shrinking and hex powers are kind of tougher sell in a movie. They need to devote more time to that. All the members with superpowers have already had their features. It's easy to have characters witin all kinds of powers in an X-Men movie because they're mutants and they were all born with superpowers. Yeah, I know Wanda is a mutant but then you have to introduce that in the Avengers universe.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 4:21 PM

It's easy to have characters witin all kinds of powers in an X-Men movie because they're mutants and they were all born with superpowers. Yeah, I know Wanda is a mutant but then you have to introduce that in the Avengers universe.

I remember reading something years ago in a comic book magazine and they talked about how difficult a future avengers movie would be since each Avenger has a diffierent origin that must be explained to make sense, compared to the X-men like you said where even if they have different origins all you really have to say if you want a full team is that when they hit puberty these crazy powers developed.

Trip McNeely

Trip McNeely

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 11:08 PM

I remember reading something years ago in a comic book magazine and they talked about how difficult a future avengers movie would be since each Avenger has a diffierent origin that must be explained to make sense

..and in the case of The Vision, the origin doesn't make a lot of sense even after it's been explained.

delplata

delplata

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 2:05 AM

Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk is one I'm most curious because I just think he's a very good and interesting actor. The Hulk has had Eric Bana, Edward Norton and now Mark.

All interesting choices and so different.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

Full Avengers Trailer.

lastdaughterfk

lastdaughterfk

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 7:22 PM

Avengers Character's sheet and midnight screening info:
http://screenrant.co...g-sandy-158986/

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

It's easy to have characters witin all kinds of powers in an X-Men movie because they're mutants and they were all born with superpowers. Yeah, I know Wanda is a mutant but then you have to introduce that in the Avengers universe.

I would be curious to know if the Wanda, and Quicksilver for that matter, are owned by Marvel for movie purposes or if the rights were sold to Fox along with the rest of the X-men? I mean they are Magneto's children so I could easily see it going either way. That said, although I think it would never happen, how cool would it be if they made Avenger 2 with Cap's Kooky Quartet (Cap, Wanda, Quicksilver and Hawkeye) like they did in the original comics. Although the script would have to be awesome to make up for the lack of power that the team would have (since it would be harder to hide bad writing behind big action sequences).

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

Zack Snyder wants man of steel to be edgy

Why do I have a bad feeling about this?

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

Because it's from the man who directed both 300 and Sucker Punch? They were visually quite interesting, if somewhat warped.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:36 PM

If they want a Superman movie to be "edgy", I think they should start with the villains.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

I'll put myself out there and say that I thoroughly enjoyed 300 - hot men in little else beyond capes and loincloths was worth every penny. And I even understand why Zack wants Superman to be edgy. I just don't think he's the one to bring that across on film. I wish they'd leave Superman alone. Not only is Christopher Reeve a tough act to follow, I just don't see what else there is to say about Superman without coming across as hokey. Plus, there is the whole Smallville thing, and I really wonder why Tom Welling wasn't cast in film (he has lots of time on his hands, yes?), though I adore Henry Cavill (who is certainly the better actor).

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

I really wonder why Tom Welling wasn't cast in film

Apparently, he was happy to be Clark Kent, but not Superman. Also, this isn't a continuation of Smallville. So best to get someone different, to convey that.

lastdaughterfk

lastdaughterfk

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 3:09 AM

Plus, there is the whole Smallville thing, and I really wonder why Tom Welling wasn't cast in film (he has lots of time on his hands, yes?), though I adore Henry Cavill (who is certainly the better actor).

I'm trying to pretend that Smallville never happened if Tom Welling was involved I wouldn't pay a dime to watch this, YMMV.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

Also, this isn't a continuation of Smallville. So best to get someone different, to convey that.

I realize it's not a continuation of Smallville, and I'd like to think that the audience would know it as well (if Welling had been cast). I mentioned Smallville because we got ten seasons of some kind of Superman origin mythology. Not that the show was a ratings hit or well-written, or even that I watched all seasons, but it's there, and I'm not really interested in seeing his origin story again in a film. Beyond the origins, it's Superman being Superman, and at the moment, my interest isn't piqued. But hey, if Tom wasn't interested, so be it.

I do think Welling fit the physical type very well. Not that Cavill is some wee little thing, but in the one photo I saw of Superman, his bulked up look (and some of that was the costume, I suppose) looked...off.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 3:28 PM

I do think Welling fit the physical type very well.

But I think his acting isn't that great.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

Neither was Brandon Routh's, but it didn't stop him from being cast as Superman. Of course, learning from mistakes and getting a more capable actor is presumably what led to casting Henry Cavill, which I acknowledged in my original post.

Edited by ribboninthesky1, Apr 14, 2012 @ 6:02 PM.

Tenshinhan

Tenshinhan

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

Not only is Christopher Reeve a tough act to follow, I just don't see what else there is to say about Superman without coming across as hokey.

There are decades worth of comic book stories dating back to the 1930s that have yet to be adapted to the big screen. As much as I enjoyed Christopher Reeve in the role, the previous films have only offered a small taste of what is possible within the Superman mythology.

As for an origin story, I think that after thirty-five years it would be appropriate, especially because it's a reboot. If they can take it in a new and different direction, then all the better in my opinion.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 7:21 AM

Agreed. Superman needs a new direction. He's been wandering in Reeve limbo on the silver screen for far too long. I personally wouldn't have chosen Snyder to head that new direction since I think he's all flash and no substance but at least they're trying something new for a change.

The cast for this one looks amazing though. Amy Adams was actually my first choice for the role of Lois Lane way back, so I'll happily sit through Snyder's nonsense (if there be any) to watch her performance in a role defined by Dana Delany in my youth.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:59 PM

The only way to outdo Christopher Reeve is quit trying to be like Christopher Reeve. One of the problems with Returns was that it was too referential to Donner's movies. I'm not holding my breath on Snyder's version, but hopefully he will at least make it his own. Although "dark and edgy" isn't something I'd associate with Superman in any way.

FirstMateCooper

FirstMateCooper

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:22 PM

‘Lobo’ Will Be Rewritten and Directed by ‘Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore’ Helmer

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

I liked Lobo when I was a teenager, but that was long ago. I'm not convinced this will be another hit. Considering the director, DC seem to agree with me.