Series: Iron Man

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

130 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2008 @ 1:32 PM

It's a series already, right? Sure it is!

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Oct 21, 2008 @ 8:50 AM

So looks like Howard is out and Don Cheadle is in. Dumb move on Howard's part.

Zach Oat

Zach Oat

Posted Oct 21, 2008 @ 9:12 AM

I am really curious about what happened there. I mean, he must have had a contract, right? And that stipulates pay, right? Did he try to renegotiate? Was he difficult on set, or something? Did they just think Cheadle would do a better job? I'm actually surprised Cheadle took it, and that makes me even more curious about what reasons he was given for the change, and whether it's true that Howard found out about it in Variety. He seemed to be really psyched for the role, so I can't picture him doing anything to rock the boat.

I hate character changes, so I hope it was really necessary. Cheadle is great, though.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Oct 21, 2008 @ 1:07 PM

I'm thinking that Howard probably asked for more money, and Marvel didn't want go over budget. I'm sure there's blame to go around, but at the end of the day, it's usually about the money. I am surprised the principles weren't signed to a standard 3-pic contract.

Split Ends

Split Ends

Stalker

Posted Oct 21, 2008 @ 5:19 PM

Well, now they're saying Howard is completely stunned by the news.

If they passed up Howard for Cheadle, they're insane. I like Don Cheadle, but Howard is much better suited to the action hero role. Plus, he was in the first one.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Oct 22, 2008 @ 3:57 PM

If they passed up Howard for Cheadle, they're insane. I like Don Cheadle, but Howard is much better suited to the action hero role. Plus, he was in the first one.

That is what I am thinking. Unless he packs on the muscle, I will have a hard time buying Cheadle as a tough guy navy officer, and even a harder time buying him as a guy in an Iron Man Suit.

EW today posted info from a NPR interview where Howard basically said they had agreed on money, but that Marvel reneged on the deal.

flickchick85

flickchick85

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2008 @ 7:12 PM

Hmmm...considering Rhodey was supposed to have a bigger role in the sequel, I wonder if Howard was told he'd get paid more, and then they offered him the same salary as the 1st. Certainly they couldn't have been offering less, right?

I do think Cheadle's the better actor, but I agree with those that think Howard was just better suited for the part.

janet a

janet a

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 2:06 PM

OK yes, now this is reminding me of an earlier interview with him I read where he implied pretty strongly that he was signed up for the next 2 (if not 3) movies. Paltrow too. Well hmph.

Am very much enjoying the DVD's though.

Serenachan

Serenachan

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 24, 2008 @ 8:05 AM

I actually think the only actors they can NOT change are RDJ and GP (the latter because there's a pretty strong Tony/Pepper fanbase). I don't think it'll make much of a difference who plays Rhodey.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2008 @ 8:25 PM

EW today posted info from a NPR interview where Howard basically said they had agreed on money, but that Marvel reneged on the deal.

For every brilliant looking move Marvel does like hiring RDJ, they do something stupid like not consulting with Favreau about when the sequel would come out, or this.

missknowitall

missknowitall

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 11:41 PM

I am pissed at the news of Cheadle over Howard. For starters, what could possibly be that bad to recast Howard and then not tell him. If he wanted more money, give the man more money. I loved him in Iron Man (of course I love him anyway). Secondly, they couldn't find a better replacement? Don Cheadle could totally pull of villian. Superhero? I have my doubts. This is a complete downgrade. I am so mad.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Oct 27, 2008 @ 4:19 PM

I don't think it's a downgrade. Howard's part was about 20 minutes. I didn't feel that attached to him. Now if they had replaced RDJ or Gwyneth Paltrow, I'd be mad.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Oct 27, 2008 @ 5:53 PM

I don't think it's a downgrade. Howard's part was about 20 minutes. I didn't feel that attached to him. Now if they had replaced RDJ or Gwyneth Paltrow, I'd be mad.

But if the plot for the sequel is Rhodey taking over the iron man duties, because Stark is too much of a drunk (which was a rumoured sequel plot) then he would obviously be featured much more in part 2.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Oct 27, 2008 @ 6:00 PM

Since I wasn't emotionally attached to Howard in the first movie, then seeing someone else playing Rhodey in the sequel isn't going to bug me. It's not like Chris Tucker or Martin Lawrence is playing the part. Don Cheadle is a fine actor who will stand up next to RDJ.

Edited by VersesBatman, Oct 27, 2008 @ 6:07 PM.

Serenachan

Serenachan

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 28, 2008 @ 1:03 PM

I agree. Howard didn't really leave an impression, like RDJ and GP did.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2008 @ 12:46 AM

Marvel confirms recent news. Also, Downey is now officially signed up to star in Iron Man 2 & 3 as well as The Avengers. Favreau will also executive produce The Avengers, which I'm guessing he means he'll offer minimal creative input (i.e. making sure they don't fuck up his franchise character) while receiving a big ass paycheck.

Split Ends

Split Ends

Stalker

Posted Oct 29, 2008 @ 2:04 PM

Woo. Woo! Wooo!

Sorry. I love RDJ's Tony Stark and yeah, I'll go watch 'em all. And the Avengers too.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Oct 31, 2008 @ 5:36 PM

Interesting. Never figured Favreau didn't like working with Howard. Or that Howard was paid more than RDJ.

Edited by samsnee, Oct 31, 2008 @ 7:51 PM.

flickchick85

flickchick85

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2008 @ 12:42 AM

Well, that makes more sense. I mean, not the part about Favreau & crew finding Howard difficult, but the part about the salary. I did know that Howard was the first person signed on to the movie, way before RDJ or Gwyneth, so it makes sense to me that he managed to get the highest asking price the first-go-round and that Marvel would want to, eh, adjust that this time. And I can see why he'd take offense to that, but it IS a supporting role, after all.

But that bit about Favreau being unhappy with him did surprise me.

Serenachan

Serenachan

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 1, 2008 @ 12:32 PM

Howard was paid more that RDJ? That is crazy! I would have thought RDJ, Gwyneth, and the Howard a very distant third.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Nov 1, 2008 @ 5:16 PM

I mean, not the part about Favreau & crew finding Howard difficult, but the part about the salary. I did know that Howard was the first person signed on to the movie, way before RDJ or Gwyneth, so it makes sense to me that he managed to get the highest asking price the first-go-round and that Marvel would want to, eh, adjust that this time. And I can see why he'd take offense to that, but it IS a supporting role, after all.

Plus as far as the salary goes, this movie was kind of Downey's comeback role, after a long time out of the spotlight and troubles with drugs. I imagine there was at least some risk involved with hiring him for a movie this big. I mean imagine if he fell off the wagon in the middle of filming and they had to stop production and possibly missed their release date because of it.

flickchick85

flickchick85

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2009 @ 3:56 PM

Mickey Rourke and Sam Rockwell as the baddies! Justin Theroux writing! And while I'm sad to see Howard go, Cheadle does seem better with...levity? This is looking to be the most fun superhero franchise out there. And I mean good fun, not Fantastic 4 "fun."

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2009 @ 6:42 PM

Oops. Moved from Comic Book/Superhero Movies thread.

Here's an article about Iron Man 2: Iron Man 2 Baddies Are Rourke & Rockwell - But Who Are They Playing?.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2009 @ 7:41 AM

Podcast > Billy Bush Interviews Robert Downey Jr. - December 31, 2009

Love Downey's sense of humor. He talks being out of shape and having to work out for the role.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2009 @ 1:32 PM

Rourke and Rockwell as the villains definitely got me excited.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2009 @ 8:53 PM

According to Variety (via Cinematical), Emily Blunt is the front-runner for The Black Widow.

Just like the first Iron Man casting info, I have no knowledge of any of these comic book characters, but the cast is looking pretty damn cool.

Edited by hardy har, Jan 14, 2009 @ 8:59 PM.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2009 @ 9:05 PM

According to Variety (via Cinematical), Emily Blunt is the front-runner for The Black Widow.

That could be interesting. The only thing I have seen her in was Devil Wears Prada. I wonder if she will bulk up a bit for Black Widow, since she has to be believable as a woman who can kick some ass. She doesn't have to be huge, but at least as similar body style to what Jen Garner had in Alias, where when she punches someone it actually looks like there is some strength behind it.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2009 @ 12:34 PM

Article > Access Hollywood: Samuel L. Jackson May Not Return To Marvel

According to the Times, there’s been a breakdown in negotiations for the actor to reprise his role as the secret agent – despite being used as a model for the character’s comic book incarnation in recent series “The Ultimates.”

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2009 @ 2:31 PM

Article > Access Hollywood: Samuel L. Jackson May Not Return To Marvel

Wow I didn't think Samuel L. Jackson turned down any role, considering the amount of crap he has been in over the years. I mean you take The Man and Formula 51 but you pass on a definite hit like Iron Man 2?

Edited by Kel Varnsen, Jan 15, 2009 @ 4:21 PM.

IzzyBoy

IzzyBoy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2009 @ 2:42 PM

Rourke and Rockwell (sounds like they should be an accounting firm) as the villains is about 7 levels of awesome. The cast for this movie is looking out of this world!