Genre: Older Movies (Black and White Era)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

246 replies to this topic

delplata

delplata

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2011 @ 2:02 AM

One of my guilty pleasures is Norma Shearer, not necessarily MGM Queen suffering nobly Norma , but the racy "oversexed"Shearer of the early 30's. The Norma of " The Divorcee", "Strangers my KIss", "A Free Soul", etc. In that era she was a very interesting actress, of course all pre-Code.

She was , to put it delicately, a very mannered actress but you can tell she was a star. However I think despite the bad rap she got because Irving Thalberg was her husband that the public did connect to her, even back then you couldn't manufacture a "star" if the public wouldn't accept them. I liked her alot "The Divorcee" a frank picture of marital discord for it's day and the double standards applied to men and women.

Lois Sandborne

Lois Sandborne

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 9:45 AM

Norma Shearer was great. She definitely did benefit from being married to a power player at MGM, but she was a star in her own right. She had personality for days, especially in her silents, like The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg. And she made a great team with Robert Montgomery, in stuff like The Divorcee, and especially Strangers May Kiss and Riptide. Even though they were usually playing bored upper-crust types, they managed to sizzle together.

I want to shout out TCM's general awesomeness at acknowledging underappreciated/less well known actors. Yesterday they showed a day of Dr. Kildare films, in honor of Lew Ayres's birthday, and I believe they did the same last year. I'm a big fan, and he doesn't get a lot of play, so it was like a little post-Christmas present.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2012 @ 8:37 PM

Back on Audrey for a second. Aside from the miscasting of My Fair Lady, Audrey routinely would get cast in roles that other people didn't want her in. Part of this was her deal with Paramount and also because she was a big star. Other than MFL, Humphrey Bogart didn't want her Sabrina, he wanted his wife Lauren Bacall. Bogie did end up having a good working relationship Audrey after he got over it. Also, Truman Capote wanted Marilyn Monroe instead of Audrey for Breakfast at Tiffany's and Capote also accepted it in the end. I tend not rewatch MFL and BaT for plot reasons mainly, but Audrey was not the biggest problem in either. I think she did the best with what she had. She approached her roles professionally and did what she could. Maybe she wasn't the best actress of our generation, but she had her moments and she has more screen charisma than most back then and now.

I think the only other person I've heard slag Audrey Hepburn is Orson Welles who called her "anorexic". He wasn't entire off base)

Yeah, Audrey gets a lot of criticism for being thin which is unfortunate. She was a ballet dancer in her teens and she lived in the Netherlands during the Nazi occupation which included the Dutch famine of 1944. This affected her dancer career permanently. She also smoked throughout her whole life which probably helped keep her trim.

Hitchcock movies: The best and the ones I love the most are Rear Window, North by Northwest and The 39 Steps. I adore Robert Donat. I watched The Citadel, Goodbye Mr Chips for him. Of course, I also really like Greer Garson as well particularly in Random Harvest.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jan 31, 2012 @ 1:14 AM

Other than MFL, Humphrey Bogart didn't want her Sabrina, he wanted his wife Lauren Bacall.

Seriously?! I love Lauren Bacall but I can't picture her in that role.

Of course, I also really like Greer Garson as well particularly in Random Harvest.

Yeah I love Random Harvest. Great romantic tearjerker and Greer Garson is awesome in it. There's a moment in the middle of it that's one of the great surprises I've ever seen in a movie!

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

Seriously?! I love Lauren Bacall but I can't picture her in that role.

Yeah, I adore her too, but she wasn't right for the part. I think Bogie wanted her simply because she was his wife so it'd be easier for him to work the romantic bit.

I need to rewatch Random Harvest and perhaps Mrs Miniver too. This Garson talk reminds me of the 1940 Pride and Prejudice with her and Olivier.

Wiendish Fitch

Wiendish Fitch

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 6:44 PM

You know what I love about Greer Garson? Aside from being a fine actress, she was a woman who looked like a woman. Not a girl, not a perpetual starlet, but an honest-to-God woman, and she was all the more stunning for it. And Random Harvest is one of my favorite Golden Age romances (and isn't Ronald Colman just too dreamy?).

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:58 AM

This? Is pretty awesome.