Ruby

• Please log in to reply

2228 replies to this topic

kccody

kccody

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 6:53 AM

Ok, I watched- thanks ChicagoCita for the heads up. Glad Ruby is doing well without the cameras and losing weight still. But, I still want to know does she has a job, is she still dating Denny, still friends with Georgia and the guy I can't remember. Wish she would take total responsibilty for her weight though.

Edited by kccody, Sep 2, 2013 @ 6:54 AM.

CoCoYoYo

CoCoYoYo

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 7:26 AM

I missed the update (no OWN). Did she go into detail about Body by Vi? Is she still close with Brittany Daniel?

I certainly wish her the best. Ruby has her flaws (as we all do) but she does seem to be a nice, likable person. I think if she stopped making her whole life about weight (talking about being overweight, wondering why she is overweight, how is she going to lose the weight) she'd be more successful.

Fuzzysox

Fuzzysox

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 9:31 AM

I haven't been keeping up to date on Ruby, but I felt that she truly thought if she wasn't the "fat" girl her whole life would have no meaning because as the "fat" girl she got lots and lots of attention. IF she ever lost the weight her whole life would have been a huge question mark that she was ill equipped to deal with. 

kccody

kccody

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 9:52 AM

I missed the update (no OWN). Did she go into detail about Body by Vi? Is she still close with Brittany Daniel?

It was a very short segment. No talking about Body by Vi. They showed her on a bike and treadmill. She claims to now weigh 315 which is the lowest she has been since age 16. She kind of blames the show since her belief was the last season was more about the weight numbers than her "journey". She did tell a funny story about going to order fast food in her home town in a disguise and fake talking on her cell pretending to place food orders for friends and not herself.  My guess is she will continue to slowly lose weight, but at her age and size, she will never reach a healthy weight.

Joymarie

Joymarie

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 11:29 AM

She kind of blames the show since her belief was the last season was more about the weight numbers than her "journey".

That's sort of interesting.  I lost interest in the show because it veered into territory where it was more about her lost childhood and possible abuse than about her struggle with her weight.  My recollection is it kept hinting that we were going to get some answers about whether or not she was abused, and nothing ever came of it and it was a huge distraction from the weight loss. 

Glad to hear she's doing well. 

ChicagoCita

ChicagoCita

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 1:01 PM

I lost interest in the show because it veered into territory where it was more about her lost childhood and possible abuse than about her struggle with her weight.

I thought it veered off into those directions because it was trying to hide the fact that its star had stopped losing weight!  What do you do if you have a show about weight loss, and the person gets a swelled head and decides to ignore the experts, stops doing everything that will help her lose weight, starts gaining weight, and won't cooperate?  You hope it's temporary, and start focusing on her friends, her past relationship, her "wacky adventures," and her upbringing, in hopes she'll get back on track.

Ruby is a likeable person and I want her to do well, but she's got an oppositional personality and -- despite all evidence to the contrary -- thinks she knows how to run her life and her weight loss.  She needs to get serious.  I think maybe the only way she will is off-camera.  Yet her Facebook feed is full of "Tell OWN to pick up my show so you can watch the rest of my journey!" 

Her saying the show became about a number on the scale is the total opposite of what I remember it becoming.  She also said she was shocked and devastated when it was cancelled and went into a deep depression because it came out of the blue.  That's just delusion on her part.  You KNOW that the Style Network people were working with her to save the show, but she wouldn't cooperate.  She didn't see the handwriting on the wall -- a show about weight loss where the subject won't lose weight is doomed -- but we as viewers did.  She also said her brother John died two months after the show was cancelled and that added to her depression.

C'mon, Ruby, you have the capacity to be great -- stop the games, stop the attention-whoring, and be the person who's inside all that.

Jay Bee

Jay Bee

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2013 @ 9:57 AM

I saw Rudy on the where are they now with Oprah and it just seemed to be the same old thing with her. Excuses and other reasons why she hasn't lost the weight. I personally believe that Ruby does not have any desire to be thin or to reach the goals that she talked about. She seems happy with her size.  It allows her to be treated in the manner she is treated and behave in the childish way she was accustomed to . If she gets too small no one will pay attention to her and cater to her.  In every other weight loss show I have ever seen the person who is trying to loose weight or the contestant will articulate exactly why they want to loose weight and what exactly their motivation is to loose the weight. I do not to this day know why Ruby wants to loose weight, What her motivations are, what her plans were or what would she do if she lost the weight. It does not seem to be as big of a priority for her as it was for others.

DangerousMinds

DangerousMinds

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2013 @ 11:54 AM

Ruby did say she was still losing and was at the lowest weight she had been since high school (?). To be fair, it's an enormous feat to have reduced from 700+ pounds to 315, so even if she doesn't lose much more, she's still so much healthier than she was previously. And now she is mobile - she can exercise, drive, and generally get around like others, which she could not before. I hope she does continue to lose slowly, and it seemed as if she was on the right track generally.

northwestgal

northwestgal

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 22, 2013 @ 9:56 PM

Her saying the show became about a number on the scale is the total opposite of what I remember it becoming.  

This (and pretty much everything else you said ChicagoCita).  Instead of watching Ruby deal with her issues, we were subjected to endless back and forth of "was she/wasn't she abused?" and "was she/wasn't she a victim of cheating by Denny?" And "here's Ruby in NY! Here's Ruby in Australia!"  It stopped being about the number about midway through Season 2.  

I'm glad she's losing weight off camera and think that's probably the best thing.  Dealing with deep issues like abuse and addiction on camera is probably counterproductive.  

Edited by northwestgal, Sep 22, 2013 @ 9:57 PM.