No Payoff: "Whatever happened with...?"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

458 replies to this topic

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2011 @ 11:38 PM

Not seeing Slade again was an odd one, especially considering it was his release from the Phantom Zone that sent Clark in there in the first place.

I was very surprised that they didn't bring back Jon Jones during the final season. He was mentioned twice.

Lucy I understand was back in season 10 and I remeber she got a phone call in Pursuasion, the glitterly krypto dust that made Lois a Stepford wife. I would have liked some mention of when all was forgiven since last I remeber Lucy Lane was on the lamb.

Lucy not being at the wedding was odd. I can excuse Lois's father since he's in the military. I joked that he was probably off killing bin Laden.

Gabe Sullivan's disappearance is truly a baffling one.

I think Shelby was written off like Chuck from Happy Days. I doubt Lois and Clark's new apartment allows for a dog. I'd like to think he ended up with Martha. After Jonathan's death in the comics, Krypto actually comes to Smallville to live with Martha.

Connor Kent went to stay with Martha although I found it odd for him not to be at Clark's wedding. Martha could have brought him along as her guest.

Nell was brought back for the Lex/Lana wedding and the next episode, Lex mentions that Lana and Nell were off shopping together or something.

Edited by benteen, May 17, 2011 @ 11:39 PM.

ChicagoRedshirt

ChicagoRedshirt

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 1:22 AM

This was done mostly to allude to the fact there are still villains out there that need to be fought in the future and it isn't just going to be Clark vs Lex all the time. SV has obviously incorporated the overall DC universe, not just Superman canon, so they wanted to indicate that there will always be the threat of danger and use for the JL beyond Clark. Slade was left unresolved for the same reason. They'll all be back, eventually.

We all know that there are villains that are still out there besides Lex. We'd seen a good portion of the Legion of Doom previously on Smallville (Toyman, Metallo, Dark Archer) and they were just out and about. And for the past three or so seasons, the show has been giving us various Superman villains.

The way TPTB did this intro of the LOD, however made it seem as though they were going to play a role in the finale, and there seemed to be a hint that they were somehow involved with Darkseid.

Maybe I've flushed my memory of the episode down the memory hole, but don't they still have mind control technology and a bunch of property above the aquifer so their dastardly plan of raising everyone's water rates can proceed and plans to target the Justice League? Or did Clark just stop all that offscreen and then come to gloat about it to Toyman in jail?

acampbell

acampbell

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 7:30 AM

Hee! so I guess now it's official: everything that's been discussed here as a "No Payoff" element is now DEFINITELY Not Paid Off!

MercerLLL

MercerLLL

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 1:16 PM

The way TPTB did this intro of the LOD, however made it seem as though they were going to play a role in the finale, and there seemed to be a hint that they were somehow involved with Darkseid.

I personally didn't get that impression, so perhaps that's why I feel there was no reason to pay it off. I simply wasn't expecting it, as each of the villains were assigned to other JL members who were not going to be part of the finale. I also didn't see any indication that Darkseid was involved with them in any way, but I may have missed something.

but don't they still have mind control technology and a bunch of property above the aquifer so their dastardly plan of raising everyone's water rates can proceed and plans to target the Justice League? Or did Clark just stop all that offscreen and then come to gloat about it to Toyman in jail?

Sadly, I think it's the latter. They did the same thing in Abandoned by cutting out the scene that shows that Tess and Clark had called the police, shut down the orphanage and had all the remaining girls placed elsewhere. So I definitely give you this one; too much offscreen resolution.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 6:59 PM

Speaking of Legion of Doom members, when did Metallo suddenly go back to villainy? I know he's a villain in the comics but he seemed to repent the last time we saw him.

Now that the show's over, here's another storyline...Chloe never found out about Clark mind-wiping her. Clark was too gutless to admit it and never paid a price for his actions, which made him no better than some of the villains he's fought.

Edited by benteen, May 18, 2011 @ 7:00 PM.

DarkCavalier

DarkCavalier

Channel Surfer

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 7:11 PM

Speaking of Legion of Doom members, when did Metallo suddenly go back to villainy? I know he's a villain in the comics but he seemed to repent the last time we saw him.

Silly person, expecting coherent, logical character development! What do you think this is, The Wire?

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 7:51 PM

I know I haven't watched a lot of the newer episodes but this was bugging me today now that the show is once again at the forefront of my mind. Did they ever explain anything about how Clark survived Doomsday?

MercerLLL

MercerLLL

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 8:39 PM

Speaking of Legion of Doom members, when did Metallo suddenly go back to villainy?

Not that it was addressed in the actual show, but there's a deleted scene from Upgrade last season where he puts the chip back on his neck supposedly symbolizing his turn to evil.

Did they ever explain anything about how Clark survived Doomsday?

Nope. It was never mentioned.

SaveLevi

SaveLevi

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 8:55 PM

Did they ever explain anything about how Clark survived Doomsday?

I believe Clark's explanation of "I don't know" was the last we heard about that. One of the most hilariously awful pieces of writing in the entire series.