Kath & Kim (US): NBC Gives Up

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

160 replies to this topic

mooncreek

mooncreek

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2008 @ 10:29 PM

The fact that there wasn't yet a thread for this even though it'd been hyped all summer and started tonight cracks me up. I am sure those who have seen the Aussie version will have their own problems with this show.

I suppose the idea was that it would fit well with My Name Is Earl because both shows have that "dumbness" element. The difference is that MNIE is sometimes funny whereas I don't know if the K&K writers would know humor if it didn't hit them with a whipped cream pie.

I had this serious urge to slap Selma Blair in the face. Not Kim, Selma. The "acting" was driving me insane. Everyone else on this show at least seems to fit their roles.

I give it six episodes.

callie lee 29

callie lee 29

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2008 @ 10:40 PM

I actually didn't hate it, surprising seeing as Selma Blair & Molly Shannon make me want commit horrible acts of violence. I'll probably give it another go, but yeah, I don't see it being long for this world.

It was advertised? Huh, guess I just missed it. The first time I saw it was in the TV Guide preview edition.

Bulldog

Bulldog

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2008 @ 10:40 PM

I give it six episodes.

I say three. And that is only because I don't think NBC has anything to put in the timeslot.

Possibly the worst half hour of television I have ever seen.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2008 @ 10:56 PM

Who is Selma Blair?

ETA: Apart from having no idea who either she or "Craig" are, I didn't think it was really that bad. Admittedly that is likely due to how low my expectations for it were. But even the original could be pretty subtle sometimes.

Edited by zelmia, Oct 9, 2008 @ 11:02 PM.

erby

erby

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 9, 2008 @ 11:12 PM

I wasn't able to watch it live; supposedly NBC (and/or Hulu) will be showing full episodes online. Does anyone know how soon those are usually up?

And was it really that bad? I want this show to do well, and I really thought the Australian version would translate over really well, but like everyone else, I found the previews very disappointing and the ad campaign in general was very off-putting.

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2008 @ 11:47 PM

I suppose the idea was that it would fit well with My Name Is Earl because both shows have that "dumbness" element. The difference is that MNIE is sometimes funny whereas I don't know if the K&K writers would know humor if it didn't hit them with a whipped cream pie.

The added unfortunate part of the juxtaposition is that I spent most of the show puzzling over how characters of what appears to be the same intelligence and income levels as those on MNIE are living in such better digs. I was a bit unclear on what Kath did for money, and it definitely seemed as though Kim has no job, yet both Kath's house and Craig & Kim's apartment were roomy and well-furnished (if oddly and anachronistically decorated). Is there a place where multi-bedroom suburban single family homes are free?

But maybe I was just obsessing over that to distract me from the unfunny. Yeesh.

LolaBella

LolaBella

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 12:03 AM

I wanted to like this show after all of the hype it was getting because of the Australian version, but yikes! That was a seriously un-funny half hour of television (I refuse to refer to it as comedy).

I'm not sure if it's Kim the character or Selma Blair's acting, but it was difficult to stomach her. Molly Shannon is funny, but the script really didn't give her anything to work with, I was waiting for Mary Catherine Gallagher to appear and save us while sniffing her fingertips!

The actor who plays Kath's fiance gives this show a glimmer of hope.

This show made me wish desperately for an episode of Will and Grace. NBC has truly given up if this is the caliber of comedy we can expect from them now.

I'll give it till the next episode, if no improvement, it's gone from my TiFaux.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 12:14 AM

The actor who plays Kath's fiance gives this show a glimmer of hope.

Yes, that's improv vet John Michael Higgins.

divinemadness

divinemadness

Video Archivist

• Interests:30 Rock, The Office, Lost, How I Met Your Mother, Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Big Love, Flight of the Conchords, Saturday Night Live, The Big Bang Theory, Chuck.<br /><br />Late night: Daily Show, Letterman and Conan.<br /><br />non-tv related interests: art history, travel, scrapbooking, painting, my 2 year old papillion Bailey, graphic design and photography.

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 12:19 AM

While it certainly wasn't love....it wasn't hate either. I wanted to like this, being a big SNL fan of Molly's and of the other shows in the Thursday night line-up. Well, really I'm an Office/30 Rock fan and just watch Earl if I'm not busy before my real shows come on. I think K&K will be like that....if it's on and I'm free, I'll watch. If not...not a loss. Though I have a feeling it won't last long. I never like to dismiss a show after only one episode...if I had done that with 30 Rock, I wouldn't have the huge Liz Lemon crush that I do now. Count me as watching again next week, might as well.

Edit to add: and for AD fans out there, if Kath's fiancee looks familiar it is because he is Wayne Jarvis. He has needs....HE IS A MAN!

Edited by divinemadness, Oct 10, 2008 @ 12:25 AM.

Teague

Teague

Fanatic

• Interests:Writing, publishing, teaching, and my wife and two girls. Not in that order.

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 12:46 AM

Wow, that was...pretty bad. It just plain wasn't funny.

The best thing I got out of recording this was that I didn't miss the opening bit on The Office.

vampdeath

vampdeath

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 1:29 AM

At first I thought this show was set in the 90's because thats the last time I remembered people using Molly Shannon's silly ski exercise machine. But with all the MySpace and other modern references, I guess its just supposed to be weird.

Edited by vampdeath, Oct 10, 2008 @ 1:32 AM.

LolaBella

LolaBella

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 1:35 AM

I think the machine that Molly Shannon was using is the Gazelle by Tony Little - SMDH that I even know this.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 1:40 AM

That show wasn't even unlikeable enough to be likeable. It also wasn't even weird enough to be good weird. There's a way to write a weird comedy that works, where the weirdness plays into the comedy. But here it just seemed half-hearted, like they couldn't figure out how to do "weird" so they just gave up after throwing in some kitschy objects.

I wouldn't be surprised if it got the axe tomorrow. (well, today.)

LolaBella

LolaBella

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 2:33 AM

ITA. Has a network ever canceled a show after only one episode has aired?

BigPaul25

BigPaul25

Fanatic

• Interests:Television (well, duh), amateur bartending, stand-up comedy, karaoke (sober).

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 3:40 AM

I'm not as familiar with the Australian version. Does the Kim on that version have any redeemable qualities whatsoever? Selma Blair's version has none. Don't you think one of the leads should be more than a one-note character?

John Michael Higgins always seems to rise above the material.

Yes, CBS canned the Animal House ripoff Co-Ed Fever in 1980.

BigPaul25

BigPaul25

Fanatic

• Interests:Television (well, duh), amateur bartending, stand-up comedy, karaoke (sober).

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 3:43 AM

I'm not as familiar with the Australian version. Does the Kim on that version have any redeemable qualities whatsoever? Selma Blair's version has none. Don't you think one of the leads should be more than a one-note character?

erby

erby

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 4:32 AM

Aussie review of US' Kath & Kim in Sydney Morning Herald

The first episode of Kath & Kim: The American Series will hardly be remembered in the annals of comedy history with the same reverence and affection as the Australian original, but the verdict is in - and it wasn't that bad.

I just feel like all the advertisement I've seen for the show makes it look stupid, not laughably tacky.

henrysmom

henrysmom

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 8:01 AM

I'd have to say that no, Australian Kim has no redeemable qualities either. But that character certainly comes off better than American Kim though I have no idea why.

I'm a fan of the Australian version so maybe I'm biased, but this was just bad. It was actually kind of fascinating, in a sick sort of way, seeing the same jokes and same setups falling flat. I just wish I was smart enough to figure out what went wrong with this version because how can you take what is essentially the same script and end up with nothing funny whatsoever?

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 8:09 AM

In the Aussie version Kim is just a plain out and out nasty bitch. I actully am one of the few Aussies who can't stand Kath and Kim. Kath is a good egg, but I don't see why I'm supposed to find that nasty bitch funny or endering. Its very true to life, I grew up in suburbs simillar to what is potrayed in the Aussie version and know a LOT of people like that. (the tooshy skirts in particuler have me in hysterics as its my former neighbour down to a Tee)

Does America have a lower middle class? I know Australia does, but am not sure if America really does.

In the Aussie version Kim is just a plain out and out nasty bitch. I actully am one of the few Aussies who can't stand Kath and Kim. Kath is a good egg, but I don't see why I'm supposed to find that nasty bitch funny or endering. Its very true to life, I grew up in suburbs simillar to what is potrayed in the Aussie version and know a LOT of people like that. (the tooshy skirts in particuler have me in hysterics as its my former neighbour down to a Tee)

Does America have a lower middle class? I know Australia does, but am not sure if America really does.

thehappypen

thehappypen

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 9:33 AM

I'm a dork so I noticed that the camera work was awesome! I thought they did a very good job along with lighting. I also thought the episode wasnt that bad either. The Kath charater was funny.

irishlulu

irishlulu

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 10:04 AM

I love Molly Shannon and I liked Selma Blair in Legally Blonde. I really wanted to like "Kath and Kim". I watched it for about 10 minutes, then had to give up. Ugh.

Writer13

Writer13

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 10:36 AM

Um, that was terrible. NBC kicked off Scrubs for a show like this???

FiveString

FiveString

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 10:48 AM

I'll sheepishly admit that I rather enjoyed it - but that may be largely attributable to my lust for Selma Blair. I find it amusing that she and Molly Shannon are only eight years separated in age, but playing mother and daughter.

thehappypen, I also noticed the camera work, particularly the shot inside the mall catching the action on two levels simultaneously.

DownsideUp

DownsideUp

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 11:03 AM

Ratings

Viewers: 7.46 million (#3), A18-49: 3.2/ 9 (#2)

The positive news for Kath & Kath was the growth out of My Name is Earl of 370,000 and 19 percent among adults 18-49, and year-ago occupant 30 Rock (Viewers: 6.60 million; A18-49: 3.0/ 8 on Oct. 11, 2007) of 846,000 and seven percent in the demo.

Something tells me that their numbers next week will not be as high as these numbers were. That's when it will be telling enough as to what the future lies for K&K.

DancinCat

DancinCat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 11:24 AM

I'm a dork so I noticed that the camera work was awesome! I thought they did a very good job along with lighting.

LOL, that makes me a dork, too! The sunny warm tones used throughout this episode looked awesome in HD. It's a refreshing change from the cooler tones of CSI, Eleventh Hour, The Office, etc. I'm not sure if that's enough to keep me tuning in though. I'm entertained by bright shiny objects, but I'd still like to laugh a bit more.

nanillac

nanillac

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 11:41 AM

I've loved the Australian version since it was just a skit on Big Girl's Blouse, and when I read that they were making an American version I was kinda flabbergasted... it's a satire, on Australian culture... how can that translate??

Yes, Kim is an outright bitch in the Aussie version, but Kath is always going on at her for being fat, so she's also a much more sympathetic character. Also, Kath is much more middle-aged-narrow-minded and conservative (little racist, little homophobic) whereas Kim is more open-minded.

And then there's Sharon. I read that Magda Szubanski (or Farmer Hoggett's wife in Babe) wouldn't let the American producers use her character which is a) fair enough because I can't see how another actor wouldn't bastardize her and b) sucks because she's fan-fucking-tastic!

And if you think the age gap between Molly and Selma is impressive, the original actors are the same age - and both well into their 40s - and it still works!

Edited by nanillac, Oct 10, 2008 @ 11:42 AM.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 11:59 AM

I actually think the Magda character - or, really, just another character - is the missing piece here. They really need that other character to provide some sort of B or C plot for balance.

JasmineFlower

JasmineFlower

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 1:11 PM

Yes, it definitely does.

I didn't think this show was that bad. Was it great? Absolutely not. Will I miss it if its canceled? I would miss seeing John Michael Higgins regularly but that's it. But is there potential here? I think so. This was a so-so pilot, many shows have them, its what they do after this that really matters, and I'm hoping they can make me laugh more consistently from here on out.

Hitcho

Hitcho

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 1:17 PM

Wow. I'm honestly unsure what to do. There's never been a show SO bad that, if squeezed between two shows I truly enjoy as this one is, that it would force me away from the TV for the half hour it was on. This show may just be that bad.

jkingstl

jkingstl

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 1:29 PM

Wow.

I'd have to say that I'm rather surprised at the mostly negative reaction from ya'll as I thought the show was an absolute hoot. I thought the role was perfect for Molly, and I loved the spoiled character portrayal by Selma.

I was actually surprised by how good it turned out to be!

I found most of the humor rather sublte, almost The Office-like. The whole pecan Sandie cookie thing cracked me up ("No! Those are for company!"). I loved Molly's crazy scream and run through the mall when she was caught with the tuna wrap.

I am totally unfamiliar with the Aussie version, so I have nothing to compare it to.

From my perspective on episode one, I hope it's a hit!

Carry on...