Homosexuality and Survivor

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

133 replies to this topic

jersey guy 87

jersey guy 87

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 8:55 AM

And it was never discussed on the show, but I'll believe that Shambo's lesbianism wasn't at least a factor in Laura disliking her

Shambo being a lesbian could certainly be a factor in her not being liked by her tribe, but I think losing their fishing gear, losing their chicken and choosing not to fit in with her tribe (calling them 90210, for instance) were bigger reasons she wasn't liked. Survivor contestants can often get past their incoming prejudice (Rudy, after all, became a strong ally to Richard) but it's hard to get past the idiot who loses your gear and acts like she's better than the rest of you.

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

I can't tell if you're joking, since Shambo was whatever the female equivalent of "flaming" is, but...yes. Absolutely. Shambo was a lesbian. (Presumably still is.)

I wasn't joking. I honestly didn't know, because I don't think it was mentioned on the show.

Tweeky

Tweeky

Video Archivist

• Interests:Sci-Fi TV shows and films, Sci-Fi books such as Star Trek and Star Wars, reading Sci-Fi fanfic and BtVS fanfic

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

It doesn't surprise me that Shambo was a homosexual but aside from doing things like losing valuable gear and the chicken what I couldn't stand about her was that disgusting grey, greasy "Mop" that was on her head which she called hair.

Edited by Tweeky, Oct 29, 2012 @ 8:09 PM.

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted Nov 1, 2012 @ 7:28 PM

I can't tell if you're joking, since Shambo was whatever the female equivalent of "flaming" is, but...yes. Absolutely. Shambo was a lesbian. (Presumably still is.)

Shambo has a very similar look and demeanor to Denise (although Denise was a bit more meek), and Denise is straight. So I wouldn't have been absolutely floored to learn Shambo is straight as well.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

Shambo has a very similar look and demeanor to Denise...

This season's Denise? I don't see it. China Denise? Yeah, she was kind of stereotypically "butch". But I really wish the show would go back to talking about things like this openly. The argument against that is that it doesn't fit into the story, but the ten seconds they devoted to Dana's "I'm worried I won't fit in because of my hair" could have easily been "I'm worried I won't fit in because I'm gay."

Edited by Yogurt Baron, Nov 1, 2012 @ 10:45 PM.

MKX

MKX

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 2, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

Laura didn't personally dislike Shambo, at least not any more than other people on Galu. Shambo was the one with the problem, the edit was misleading.

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 1:31 PM

This season's Denise? I don't see it. China Denise?

Haha obviously China Denise! Philippines Denise is a goddess. She looks like Olivia Williams with larger ears.

snoopythecat

snoopythecat

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 2:37 AM

I haven't watched the cast's pre-season videos or read any background on them...does anyone know if Philippines Denise has a husband or boyfriend? Am I the only one whose gaydar she pings? I'll be darned if I recall who or where, but I believe someone here in some other thread mentioned that Denise's practice as a "sex therapist" was not so much a Dr. Laura Berman or Dr. Ruth Westheimer type gig as working with people who have issues such as a history of sexual abuse, and that a significant element of it involved working with the LGBT community. That doesn't necessarily mean anything by itself, of course, but there's something intangible about her that makes me wonder.

Isuzu

Isuzu

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

Everything is possible but she did talk on the show (I think it was during TC even) that she had a husband and a child back home.

Armistead

Armistead

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 20, 2012 @ 7:12 PM

I actually thought Carter might be gay, least my gaydar went off. He reminds me a lil of Spencer who tried to come off S8. Course Todd and Spencer were in a relationship, not sure if the still are.

I think typing people adds flavor to the game.

orionlion

orionlion

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 1:23 AM

Carter was happily feeding grapes to Malcolm while he was in a bathtub... which hell, that's exactly what I would be doing if I had Malcolm sitting in a bathtub in front of me. So you could be onto something... or that could just be budding bromance... or yeah, Malcolm is just so damn pretty that he can make even straight men want to feed him grapes :-)!

Matteo

Matteo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

I love that when Pete cast his vote for Malcolm, he put an "XOXO" underneath the name. I always sorta felt that Pete had a bro-crush on Malcolm from the minute Malcolm joined Tandang. He looked out for Malcolm and spilled the plan to him when Lisa almost blindsided Malcolm, so it didn't really surprise me.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 9:29 AM

I saw that Malcom tweeted a picture of him, Carter &.Pete. No, it wasn't a threesome. Just three bros's grabbing lunch in LA I think. A triple bromance.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 11:05 PM

Okay, but this thread is for talking about actual homosexuality on Survivor, not bromances. Take it to Malcolm's thread, please.