3-17: 2008.10.01 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

49 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2008 @ 11:47 AM

Not that I don't love y'all to death - but FINALLY...

LIVE FINALE—The final five contestants compete for a chance to win the million-dollar prize and become the most talented person in America. Jerry Springer hosts and David Hasselhoff, Piers Morgan and Sharon Osbourne also star.

AmyGal

AmyGal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 9:02 PM

What a CRAPTASTIC ending. I have serious doubts that I will waste my time on this show next season. A million weeks of auditions, a bunch of singers with the other acts getting the boot and then the sobbing Mama's Boy wins.

And seriously? Stop showing bad acts on the finale. It only encourages attention whores to try out and suck spectacularly.

Accryleon

Accryleon

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 9:02 PM

Umm...what just happened? Did frontrunners Nuttin' But Stringz and Eli just get shafted for a Paul Potts rip-off?

And I couldn't stand to listen to the same song for the third time. Sorry, but that can't possibly be the "Best Act of America."

kristensmom

kristensmom

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 9:07 PM

They've definitely lost another viewer here. I was shocked when they brought this guy in at the beginning, a complete copycat of Paul Potts even down to singing the same exact song. Then every week I watched him half-crying putting on the big act, and getting nothing but high praise from the three judges. It just goes to show what the show's producers can do convincing the sheeple of America that this guy was the best. It's a shame there are so many who fell for it, and in doing so denied several other very talented acts (Eli, Strings) the chance to win fairly.

magathia

magathia

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 9:07 PM

Thank God for Tivo. I ff'ed through the loser medley and all the past performances clips.

What a crock of shit, America. Poor man's Paul Potts wins? I am disgusted.

A buttload of bad auditions. A few weeks of singers, singers, singers. And this is it? Truly a let down.

LutherMahoney

LutherMahoney

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 9:11 PM

I'm totally shocked. Vegas would have been perfect for Eli and especially Stringz. I wouldn't have minded if either of them had won. I can only hope that being on the show will do great things for them.

I doubt that after his contract is up, the "winner" will be offered a huge deal like Terry Fator.

Edited by LutherMahoney, Oct 1, 2008 @ 9:18 PM.

Tienko

Tienko

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 9:15 PM

I'll wait and buy Eli's CD and watch Neal fade into obscurity.

This show seems so hit-or-miss. First season, there was that little girl who won and I swore off the show. Or at least, I thought I did. Then Terry Fator came along and I thought he was an amazing winner. Maybe because he actually had talent.

And now this season? What a load of crock. Saw Stringz fall to third and knew Neal was going to win. And I do agree, when I first saw him, I immediately thought of Paul Potts and how much Neal was copying him. Sad when you can't win without imitation and then it gets rewarded.

Edited by Tienko, Oct 1, 2008 @ 9:16 PM.

Paul Servo

Paul Servo

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 9:16 PM

Ok so Neil won by one half of one percent? So if Eli got say one or two more votes he would have wone instead? If that's the case I'd like to appologize for splitting my votes between him and NBS.

That said, it's sad that the highlight of the show for me was the AGT Rejects singing "Don't Stop Me Now."

Why did I know they were giving Katwin the final line in "A Moment Like This"?

What happened to NoDaddy? She had life in her eyes and looked happy. Good for her.

I am looking forward to getting Eli's CD when it comes out. That guy has a real future.

I'm totally shocked. Vegas would have been perfect for Eli and especially Stringz. I wouldn't have minded if either of them had won. I can only hope that being on the show will do great things for them

Well. this dog act from last year has a show in Vegas and they didn't even make the Top 10.

I hope to see you guys on the other boards I post on. It was great discussing this show with you this year, and I appreciate some of you guys willing to go to NBC Studios and riot with me if certain people won.
Maybe next year *L*

See you all then if I don't see you elsewhere here.

Edited by Paul Servo, Oct 1, 2008 @ 9:19 PM.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 9:35 PM

Two guys that I mostly fastforwarded through were the final two? The Paul Potts clone won? Wow, what a terrible show.

Queen Emily sounded nice during that horrible opening song. She might have won over mainstream middle America if she sounded nice and controlled like she did then.

Still don't get Eli. Didn't get Daughtry either, but he's successful, Eli will probably win over the same type audience. Don't expect me to buy his music or be interested in seeing him live.

The real losers (and hopefully ultimate winners) are Nuttin' But Stringz, the one true, unique act that made it to the finals this season. I hope that they get some type of deal from all the exposure from this dreck.

I like Braswell for some reason, don't know why. I didn't think he should have wone, and he didn't.

Jerry needs to dial it down notch or two if he comes back next season. The schmaltz and the yelling are a bit much.

nichelle

nichelle

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 9:37 PM

So, I usually don't watch this show. The couple of times I have I was able to just fast forward past the stuff I didn't want to see. I tried that tonight. What the hell? Seriously, I didn't know what I was watching. I hit FF and then would stop and see some guy rolling his stomach. I hit FF again and stopped at some woman in a ball coming down from the ceiling. I tried FF again only to see Rod Stewart and Ozzie impersonators running around. What was all of that??? Was it a mini freakshow? I was going to rewind to hear the introduction, but thought why bother.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 9:49 PM

Dissapointed. I would definately have gone to see Nuttin But Stringz in Vegas if they'd won. I do think Neil sings well but I'm still disappointed. Hope they get a good gig.

McPoyle

McPoyle

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 11:18 PM

I only tuned in for the final 15 minutes, just in time to see Stringz get 3rd place. I thought Pierz's head was going to come off his torso. There's no way in hell that Neal E. Boyd is a better act than Stringz or Eli Mattson. Maybe if it was a CRYING contest, Boyd would win hands down. Don't get me wrong, the guy can sing that ONE SONG he sings. Other than that, I don't think he's got much mileage. Boyd and Braswell should get an act together and hit the road. Boyd can do his one opera song that he does and Braswell can over act every Josh Groban song. Ugh, I think I just threw up in my mouth.....

AuroraAustralis

AuroraAustralis

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 11:22 PM

America's Got Freaks.

Who the hell voted for big blubbering baby Huey?

Buh bye, Hasselhoff, you old ghoul.

lukewarm

lukewarm

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 12:18 AM

Maybe I don't know enough about Vegas acts, but really? I missed a few weeks, but I thought Stringz would be the perfect lively-have-a-fun-holiday act. Plus, they are very cool and ol' Simon could stick 'em on all kinds of shows.

On the other hand, Neal is so mama's boy, I can see why he would get votes. Plus he would have melted into a big puddle of tears if he lost. Eli....now there's a career I can imagine following.

TVtater

TVtater

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 1:08 AM

OMG...it's Rueben and Clay all over again!!

Hope Eli sells as many albums as Clay and Neal fades away just like Rueben has. Ugh!

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 1:30 AM

this dog act from last year has a show in Vegas and they didn't even make the Top 10.

The Popovitch Family Circus has been a Vegas act for years and they already had a show running on the Strip when they did AGT. Something that was conveniently left out.

I only flipped back a few times while watching Project Runway. Very disappointing season. At least, if nothing else, we got Terry Fator.

Alexa

Alexa

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 7:51 AM

Still don't get Eli. Didn't get Daughtry either, but he's successful, Eli will probably win over the same type audience. Don't expect me to buy his music or be interested in seeing him live.

I didn't like Daughtry at all either, but they are completely different acts. Daughtry is a hard rock wannabe, that just looks like he is glaring at his audience while he "sings".

Eli is more the type to do mellow piano songs like Elton John, but he has more of a roughness to his voice that could make it interesting to current audiences. But I don't think the audience for Eli and Chris are the same at all.

I am just glad the show is finally over....it was the most uninteresting, dragged out mess. I did like Eli and Nuttin but Strings, but at the same time have no real investment in the winner of this show. I did like Terry Fator last year, and thought he was the perfect winner for this type of show.

They really do need to separate out singing acts versus those with other talents, and have more than one winner. And eliminate all young children under a certain age (or have a separate category).

julieann

julieann

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 8:19 AM

I was really pulling for strings or eli. I thought both were really talented. However, I did think it was cute when he said "What has happened to my LIFE?!?" awwwe.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 8:38 AM

Okay, let me get this straight....

Given a choice between a spectacularly huge number featuring all the dance troupes and cheerleading squads who made it into the top 40, and a chaotic mess featuring the lamest and most forgettable rejects from the audition rounds, they chose the latter?? And just when I'd nearly blocked the image of that woman crushing beer cans with her ginormous boobs, too....

And don't even get me started on how Nuttin' but Stringz got shafted....

SweetSable

SweetSable

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 9:11 AM

So, I usually don't watch this show. The couple of times I have I was able to just fast forward past the stuff I didn't want to see. I tried that tonight. What the hell? Seriously, I didn't know what I was watching. I hit FF and then would stop and see some guy rolling his stomach. I hit FF again and stopped at some woman in a ball coming down from the ceiling. I tried FF again only to see Rod Stewart and Ozzie impersonators running around. What was all of that??? Was it a mini freakshow? I was going to rewind to hear the introduction, but thought why bother.

LOL. There's really just no explaining this show to people who haven't watched it, and there's really no understanding it to people who have.

marketdoctor

marketdoctor

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 9:17 AM

I agree with a lot of what's been said (especially that I'll miss y'all, but we'll go on to better things, since we're going on to things other than this show for a while.)

I too, think (for instance) a Tappin' Dads/Cheerleaders with Issues combination would have been less wrong than some of that filler. Also, I'm sure she's a lovely person, but I don't get Leona Lewis as a superstar singer. (Among, for instance, female pop singers connected with this show, I liked Butterscotch and Sarah Lenore better.) Just my opinion, though.

It's like there was an entire season of "The Emporer's New Clothes", and I'm glad I wasn't the only one saying "cold air shrinkage or no, that's just too much information, your highness. Now please pardon me while I visit the garderobe* to get you a real outfit and me a polite place to vomit."

* closet/bathroom in a castle, where the smell kept away moths, peasants, etc.

BermyTryangle

BermyTryangle

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 10:03 AM

Wow, this finale sucked. The assembled Top Ten performance was hard to sit through. We get it, you have 9 singers in the Top Ten, so let's do an American Idol and have a group performance. Ugh.

Audition All-Stars? Ugh times 10.

Jerry Springer needed to tone things down as host though, he ought to tone down his screaming and shouting.

Leona Lewis was the best part of the episode for me, beautiful woman and good singer. Almost definitely signed up because she won the British X-Factor show and may have had some contractual agreements with Cowell.

Results went as expected except Nuttin' But Strings who I thought were the most original and most likely to have ongoing success. They were arguably the judges' favourites as well. Neal E. Boyd as winner, I suppose many people won't hate the decision.

But thank goodness this series is over. They dragged it on forever, and you can't blame it on the Olympics.

Shalala

Shalala

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 10:03 AM

Well, now I know why this show isn't very popular anymore. But I still love Neil and wanted him to win since his audition. Congrats to Neil!

Paul Servo

Paul Servo

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 10:11 AM

The Popovitch Family Circus has been a Vegas act for years and they already had a show running on the Strip when they did AGT. Something that was conveniently left out.

Hmmm, I was unaware of that. I thought they got it because of AGT, but it was just a smaller venue. Thank you for clearing that up.

Leona Lewis was the best part of the episode for me, beautiful woman and good singer.

She was also the best part of the Closing Ceremonies of the Olympics. But that might be due to the fact that she was singing with Jimmy Page. Simon factor or not, that song is on infite loop on the radio, but a British person singing on AMERICA'S GOT TALENT seems odd

steviethecat

steviethecat

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 10:52 AM

Ok so Neil won by one half of one percent? So if Eli got say one or two more votes he would have wone instead? If that's the case I'd like to appologize for splitting my votes between him and NBS.

This is Exactly why when it gets down to the finals I only vote for one act even if I like more than one. I figured if I did that, I'd be cancelling out my own votes. One vote for Eli and one vote for NBS leaves both of them in the same place they were before I voted and not ahead of anyone else had I put both votes to only one of the acts.

I wonder if Neal is going to cry his way through Vegas as well. Eli and Stringz got ROBBED. What a crock of dog crap.

I only tuned in for the final 15 minutes, just in time to see Stringz get 3rd place. I thought Pierz's head was going to come off his torso. There's no way in hell that Neal E. Boyd is a better act than Stringz or Eli Mattson. Maybe if it was a CRYING contest, Boyd would win hands down. Don't get me wrong, the guy can sing that ONE SONG he sings. Other than that, I don't think he's got much mileage. Boyd and Braswell should get an act together and hit the road. Boyd can do his one opera song that he does and Braswell can over act every Josh Groban song. Ugh, I think I just threw up in my mouth.....

OMG!!!! I litereally laughed out loud. This is the most perfectly worded summation of last night's results !!!!!!!

babymama

babymama

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 11:42 AM

- For some reason I don't think that I will be rushing to Vegas anytime soon to buy Neal Boyd tickets. Eli or Stringz should have won.

- Great to see Emily David (oh, I mean Queen) get bounced first, which was somewhat surprising. I will also be majorly surprised if she goes on to have any success at a mainstream music career.

- David Hasselhoff is sure turning into an emotional pussy in his old age.. First he cries when Taylor Hicks wins American Idol, and now he ends up crying just about the whole night. What a schmuck.

- If I had one wish for next season, it would be that they would pick two winners. One music act and one variety act. The music acts will compete with each other, as will the variety acts. The top ten will be 5 from each category, with one winner from each getting 1 million $ and a Vegas show.

- If I'm allowed another wish, it would to not see anymore fucking 4 year olds on the show. Thank you

krcit

krcit

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 12:07 PM

That's it?? That's the payoff for watching Jerry Springer having manic episodes for the last 3 months??? What the hell???? NBS or Eli should have won. Neal seems like a nice enough guy but stop fuckin' crying for the love of all that is holy!!!! How in the world is he going to hold it together for a Vegas Show-although the show will probably be short, what with him singing 1 song and all. I am done with this crapfest AND I am so gonna hassle the hoff if I ever have the misfortune of meeting him.

HighMaintenance

HighMaintenance

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 12:17 PM

I totally refused to watch any of this dreck this season. I would catch a few moments here and there during the summer, but not long enough to know who all the contestants were. Last night, with nothing better to do and in the mood for some "train wreck TV" I watched the whole show. Overall impression... Meh.

A few things I noticed that amused/horrified/disgusted me:

Hasselhoff has the weirdest shaped ears I've ever seen. They showed him from a profile near the start of the show and egads! Leathery skin, neck wattles and enough pancake makeup for 5 drag queens.

I kept wanting the judges to *BZZZRT* the finalists during that Kelly Clarkson group sing. Horrific!

Contestant wise, they were pretty much textbook reality talent show fodder. Creepy lookiing impersonators? Check. Huge opera singer? Check. Cutsie pie tot? Check. Belting black diva? Check. Blonde Jewel wannabe? Got it. Throw in some folks who actually play an instrument and you've got your finalists.

The AGT rejects coming back for a group sing was probably the highlight, not only for the trainwreck factor, but they did a Queen song which balances out the horror with just the right amount of amusement.

I didn't really care who won, because I won't be seeing any of them in concert or buying any of their recordings. So... yeah.

I did notice at the very end they ran some disclaimers on the screen over the confetti festivities. The one that caught my eye... "$1,000,000 prize to be paid out in installments over the next 40 years" WTF????? 25K a year for 40 years? What if that fossilized Frank Sinatra guy won? What's he gonna do? Collect for maybe 5-10 years? Don't tout a million dollar prize and then pull that shit with the installment payments! These folks coulda pulled a shift at McDonalds and made at least that much for a year's salary.

Glad I didnt' get emotionally invested. LOL

GracieM

GracieM

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 12:45 PM

I'm a little surprised by Opera Guy winning, just based on the audience reaction/applause when the top five acts performed. Yes, I know the audience is coached, but if TPTB were gunning for a Neil win, then you'd think they'd have coached the audience to express more support. ::shrug:: Does it really matter? Regardless of who won this year, I doubt we'd hear from much them again.

I would have liked a NTB or EM win, but as AI has shown, winning does not guarantee success, nor does not winning (I'm not going to call coming in second or third out of 100,000 acts losing) mean obscurity. I really like EM's voice and he should go for AI, if he's allowed.

While I cannot stand Jerry Springer, I did think it was funny when he said to Neil after the win, "Boy, you DO cry a lot." Then, "Can you hold it together enough to sing?" Snerk.

tall1az

tall1az

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 1:00 PM

Neil's only doing ONE show in Vegas, the one in a couple of weeks.

I would have thought NBS would be in the final two. I wonder if there's some backlash when the judges (Piers, for sure) pre-anoint them as the winner; there's also the "they are so good they'll get all the votes they need so I don't have to pick up the phone" issue.

Once Jerry said it was close, I figured Neil had pulled it off. We never got much back story from Eli, maybe there isn't a back story, but I wonder what might have happened if we had a more compelling story from Eli. I don't hate that Neil won, but he wasn't my first choice.

did notice at the very end they ran some disclaimers on the screen over the confetti festivities. The one that caught my eye... "$1,000,000 prize to be paid out in installments over the next 40 years" WTF????? 25K a year for 40 years? What if that fossilized Frank Sinatra guy won? What's he gonna do? Collect for maybe 5-10 years? Don't tout a million dollar prize and then pull that shit with the installment payments! These folks coulda pulled a shift at McDonalds and made at least that much for a year's salary.

It says they can also take the present cash value of the annuity (that, I think, is something less than 400,000). It's set up just like state lotteries, which give winners the same option.

Edited by tall1az, Oct 2, 2008 @ 1:02 PM.